• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bicycle age

HTupolev

Ah, that ride felt good. Hit a weird number of stoplights early on, but that just means it's awesome interval training, or something, maybe. Did some adventuring and came across a lake on the opposite side that I'm usually on, with a beautiful moonlit view of the mountains that was unfortunately too dim to photograph. Smashed a hill climb PR, because why not put those efforts in on vintage steel instead of the Emonda ALR that's actually good for it lololol
Alternately, road bikes are pretty mature so whatever

My 2x10 on the mountain bike is adjusted so that that there's zero rub. I was never able to do it with the 3x9 I used to have, or the 2x10 on my road bike.

Sadly I couldn't go single ring on the rides I do. Would definitely consider it for an enduro bike though.
Gotta say, all this FD talk has reminded me just how much I love my new silent 1x10 drivetrain. Never going back!
If only someone could figure out a mechanism that allowed you to smoothly trim the front derailleur, over a wide range to avoid ever having adjustment issues.

Oh well, it'll probably take a major technological breakthrough, like the recent invention of threaded bottom brackets.

Hopefully that chain doesn't break.

Would be better if FD's had enough cage space to be able to support the gears used at the rear... but that's unthinkable (apparently aside from my MTB's 2x10).

Outside edge of the foot in the arch area. One explanation I read (could be wrong of course) is that the feet are not angled correctly, so the foot tenses up on the right side, cramping the muscle. There are a few other explanations and it seems to be fairly common.

This may help some but you're kind of confusing me with outside and arch (arch commonly refers to the inner part of the foot) -- http://cdn.mos.bikeradar.imdserve.com/images/news/2008/08/27/cleatposdiag1-960-540.jpg

Back from physio. Ouch. They're not a gentle bunch.

Another appointment on Friday. Have been told cycling is OK if mostly upright, but weights are out. I guess I can risk the turbo, but not sure if I should go on my usual weekly ride on Sunday.

The general idea is you go opposite of where the pressure is. So if you're getting pressure on the inside of your foot causing your big toe to numb and strain on the inner knee / quad, slide the cleat towards the outter part of shoe.

Fore / aft is less of an issue than side to side, but if you're calf are constantly engaged then slide the cleat back. Rule of thumb for front to back is the center of the cleat (little dash on a LOOK cleat or the two bolts on an SPD) should be lined up with the ball of the foot.

As for float, too much float can be a bad thing too. If there is too much it will let your foot swivel too much rather than being stabilized through the whole stroke.

Have switched from saddle bags to "tool bottles" after having yet another fail on me. Apparently saddle bags are far better suited to road biking than mountain biking... even though the rules say you can't use one as a roadie. ;)

Chris R

Today was Bike to Work day (or is it the 20th? IDK but there were stations out today).

The seat height adjustment I made ended up only being 5/8" up but holy hell what a difference it makes. So much nicer.

teepo

OK, so I've got some minor bursitis and its appearance just so happens to coincide with me starting to bike again. Part of me thinks it's just from doing a little too much biking without easing back into it, but PT's anti-clipless pedal lectures also have me a little paranoid. I have Shimano 105 SPD-SLs and they have a lot of float, but could they be to blame?

I think I definitely need to either have my cleats adjusted or some inserts because I have been getting cramping on the outside of my foot, but I don't know if that would be related to stress on the knee at all.

float in spd-sl pedals are dependent on the cleat type. if i remember correctly, yellow is 6degs, blue is 2degs and red has none.

more float is generally better but having too much can also cause issues. if you're not going to get properly fitted, you should stick with the yellow cleats because you can seriously injure yourself otherwise.

it's worth also tracking your knees throughout your ride. you can fix a foot from swiveling too much through practice and discipline.

Teggy

float in spd-sl pedals are dependent on the cleat type. if i remember correctly, yellow is 6degs, blue is 2degs and red has none.

more float is generally better but having too much can also cause issues. if you're not going to get properly fitted, you should stick with the yellow cleats because you can seriously injure yourself otherwise.

it's worth also tracking your knees throughout your ride. you can fix a foot from swiveling too much through practice and discipline.

Yeah, I have the yellow cleats. I'm going to go in to the shop, though.

If only someone could figure out a mechanism that allowed you to smoothly trim the front derailleur, over a wide range to avoid ever having adjustment issues.

Oh well, it'll probably take a major technological breakthrough, like the recent invention of threaded bottom brackets.
I know a guy who maintains a friction shifter on his front derailleur for each of his bikes for this very reason. If there's any rub, a small push or pull takes care of it.

I know a guy who maintains a friction shifter on his front derailleur for each of his bikes for this very reason. If there's any rub, a small push or pull takes care of it.

I reinstalled my old Gripshift on my old bike when I gave it to my wife for this very reason. I made it a 2x9 and the front shifter is basically a stepped friction shifter, so you can just adjust the front d/r to be noise free.

Granadier

Is currently on Stage 1: Denial regarding the service game future
Any recommendations for a commuter bike in the <$500 range?
I will be living in Boston for the summer, and I'd like my primary mode of transportation to be bicycle. Up until now though I've only had a bike for leisure.

I haven't decided between a single speed or one with a small number of gears. Straight bars or bull horns are what I will most likely go with. I don't believe Boston has enough elevation changes to warrant anything more than one or two gears.

Teggy

I will be living in Boston for the summer, and I'd like my primary mode of transportation to be bicycle. Up until now though I've only had a bike for leisure.

I haven't decided between a single speed or one with a small number of gears. Straight bars or bull horns are what I will most likely go with. I don't believe Boston has enough elevation changes to warrant anything more than one or two gears.

Yeah, as long as you are limiting yourself to Boston proper you should be fine.

Mascot

I just don't like how it feels on my back. Water and snacks only for me there. Everything else I prefer to have on the bike.

I truly don't notice it. *shrugs*

I've used a saddlebag and frame-fixed pump on my MTB since 1988 but absolutely loooooove the cleaner lines since taking both off.

Lombax

Banned
There's a bunch of good recommendations from the crew in here, but I'd also look at the Kona Unit since you're interested in fitness.

It's a chromoly frame that is much more compliant than aluminum, and while it is bare bones to start, the frame is solid and you can upgrade it as needed. It's a single speed, so it will give you a great cardio workout.

I've had mine for a few years and love it. I put a derailleur on mine during the summer time and keep it as a single speed in the winter. I use it on easy to moderate trails, and for commuting as well. I'm considering throwing a front fork on it, but I'm enjoying the chromo front fork too much. Maybe in another year or so.

If you're serious about mountain biking, it will be a great place to start as it forces you to pick your lines during climbs and descents, ultimately making you a better rider when you graduate to a hardtail or full suspension.

It might not be up your alley, but I thought I'd throw it out there as a little something different :)

Thanks very much, I'll have a look!

Lombax

Banned

I commuted from Arlington to Boston for 2 years on a used Specialized Langster Tokyo:
D_Hn_NVg_Td_SPrj_Q8yj_Zn4_TO6l94_ENia_ECpvt_Sc_QGod3_M_2048.jpg

There is a Langster for sale for sale outside of metro boston at the moment for $400.00
A 2016 will run you $700.00

If you are spending most of your time in the city then you will be fine with a single speed. It only starts to get hilly when you head into the suburbs.

If you can't find a Langster I'd reccomend a fuji feather

Granadier

I commuted from Arlington to Boston for 2 years on a used Specialized Langster Tokyo:

There is one for sale outside of metro boston at the moment for $400.00

If you are spending most of your time in the city then you will be fine with a single speed. It only starts to get hilly when you head into the suburbs.

Awesome, thanks! I'll keep my eye out for a Langster. The one for sale right now is too small I think since I'm 6'5.
But the Fuji Feather is one I was looking at that is reasonably priced. They have a 61cm frame model as well. That might be my ticket. Right now I have an old Fuji del Rey as well.

Looking at building up another bike and there's someone selling a 2015 traitor crusade for $400. Deal or no?

sorry: should specify it's the frame + fork + Chris King headset and bottom bracket. So I'd be supplying a 105 gruppo, handlebars, and set of wheels that are all on hand.

Oh and I guess a seat/post because you have to sit on something.

I forgot how much I could achieve on the bike when I wasn't wrecked from weights the day before. Despite having to be careful because of my back injury, I just set new 5, 10, 15, 20 and 30 minute power records on the turbo trainer today. Only 1 watt off my 60 minute record.

Fucking pumped. Injury aside I'm peaking at pretty much the right time for my first major event of the year. \o/

Teggy

I forgot how much I could achieve on the bike when I wasn't wrecked from weights the day before. Despite having to be careful because of my back injury, I just set new 5, 10, 15, 20 and 30 minute power records on the turbo trainer today. Only 1 watt off my 60 minute record.

Fucking pumped. Injury aside I'm peaking at pretty much the right time for my first major event of the year. \o/

Do you have a power meter on your bike or does the trainer do it?

I probably need to chill out and think it over but I'm thinking about starting to put money aside and buy one of those crazy smart trainers in the fall so I can use Zwift with it.

Do you have a power meter on your bike or does the trainer do it?

I probably need to chill out and think it over but I'm thinking about starting to put money aside and buy one of those crazy smart trainers in the fall so I can use Zwift with it.

Trainer for now. I do have a power meter coming, but it's a kickstarter job and it's taking forever.

teepo

i can wrap bar tape just fine, even do the nice little pro wrap around the brake levers, but all my fine work comes undone once it's time to use the scissors and tape.

So I don't know what the physio did this time, but it didn't sound / feel pleasant. She had me lie on my face and breathe fully in / breathe completely out whilst she pressed near my spine. Second time around I heard three crunches / pops and my eyes bulged out on stalks.

Feeling very, very tender now.

D_Hn_NVg_Td_SPrj_Q8yj_Zn4_TO6l94_ENia_ECpvt_Sc_QGod3_M_2048.jpg

There is a Langster for sale for sale outside of metro boston at the moment for $400.00
A 2016 will run you $700.00

My bar bike is a Lancaster. I named him Darth Collarbone due to him being a fixie and dangerous for those who don't realize it when they hop on for the first time. I needed a fun bike to ride to friends' houses and hit the bars with without fear of it being stolen. The Langster is the perfect bike for that task.

I have a really long torso and the bike fits pretty well. Darth Collarbone is super fun to ride and accelerates so much faster than my Steelman cyclocross bike. I paid $200 off of craigslist.

Mascot

i was kinda hoping you'd show a pic of your bike. i'd imagine it would look sleek as fuck given your taste in fashion

Yeah, step your game up CycleGAF. POIDH.

I fucking love my local woods, I really, really do.

11111_zpsvk4w5yk9.jpg

Edit: but today, maybe just a teensy bit less:

1a_zpsqxdqlpxa.jpg

Christ, it was bloody hard going today. Can't beat that feeling of your front wheel constantly searching.

Fonds

I used to ride a fuji feather around Amsterdam for three years (until it got stolen, damn that city and it's bikethieves).
I'd really recommend it as an affordable single speed option. Comes equipped with pretty decent kit if you're planning to use it for commuting.

Granadier

I used to ride a fuji feather around Amsterdam for three years (until it got stolen, damn that city and it's bikethieves).
I'd really recommend it as an affordable single speed option. Comes equipped with pretty decent kit if you're planning to use it for commuting.

Hey awesome! Thanks for the recommendation. It's at the top of my list right now.

trebbble

Ripped up the local trails on my hardtail today. It was obviously rougher on some of the rock gardens and technical stuff, but I do like riding hardtail in the early part of the season to work on picking the best lines.

Plus, it's a great feeling catching up to a guy on a full suspension on an extended descent when you're on one! Back for more tomorrow... hopefully I'll remember to take a pic this time :)

Top Bottom