• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bicycle age

HTupolev

Is it normal for a $24k bike to have pads instead of discs?
Road bikes aren't like mountain bikes where discs are assumed strictly better. A lot of roadies actually prefer rim brakes for lower weight and aesthetics, and a lot of people don't think there's anything wrong with dual-pivot caliper brakes, especially when a given road bike is only being used on dry days.

teepo

Just finished bingeing 'Billions', and thought, mmmm - I bet that bike is expensive.

fc4c59523d5bc0622de4f8b3bbb40977ff39e76c51be310665020cd2d94d910e.jpeg

https://thetake.com/product/119420/bobby-axelrod-signature-cycles-modified-passoni-nero-xl-bike-billions-season-1-episode-5

$24,000, I believe.

instantly reminded me of the beautiful mclaren tarmac

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IIuU7zjwLJk

though that passoni nero xl is no slouch either

http://www.passoni.it/neroxl.php?n=9#

Teggy

Quick question, I've found that I hear my chain rubbing when I am on my big ring and at least a couple gears on the cassette before I'd be technically cross-chaining. Is that normal or should it be adjusted?

So, revisiting this, I am reading that the 105 shifters have a built in trim function where you give it half a click. I had no idea and will have to give this a try.

Fuck's sake I'm never doing a hydraulic thing again. I got the dropper in place, shortened the cable and bled the system. But it was an unholy mess and the fluid is disgusting.

I shall be happy in the knowledge that I can do it if need be and then pay some poor sod at a bike store to suffer in my stead.

Mascot

Fuck's sake I'm never doing a hydraulic thing again. I got the dropper in place, shortened the cable and bled the system. But it was an unholy mess and the fluid is disgusting.

I shall be happy in the knowledge that I can do it if need be and then pay some poor sod at a bike store to suffer in my stead.
My brakes are due for a bleeding. Not looking forward to it.

kottila

Yeah, but it's expensive, and therefore Fredtastic.

Am I doing it right?

You don't expect a hedge fund billionaire to have great taste do you? He probably just asked for the most expensive bike they could make. Passoni does make some gorgeous stuff, but I don't like the the look of deep rims on anything other than TT and aero bikes.

I must be delirious from the hydraulic fluid fumes, because I'm all of a sudden really into the idea of ditching the Trek frame and getting something steel instead. Like Surly Karate Monkey, Salsa El Mariachi or Cotic Solaris.

Mascot

I believe in steel is real. At least to the extent that my steel ss road bike really comfortable. Also, boutique steel mtb frames look great.

Yeah, but... steel frames are Jimmy-skinny. Fat tooooobs says Hardcore!!11

Edit: btw, to the thundercunt ploughing around the trails last in double denim, sans helmet, on a kid's motocross bike... you're a thundercunt.

Edit 2: Woo-hoo! Or should I say Woho? New Ghost lock-ons arrived. £15 retail, or 99p delivered if you get lucky like I did.

20160527_112152_zpshi5f4vjv.jpg

Love 'em. Nice and chunky for my giant wanking spanners.

A few of the bike / running apps have it. There's only a couple that you don't have to pay for though... and I can't remember which right now.

I tried commuting without a backpack, so it holds my glasses, wallet, multitool, some usb sticks and an emergency gel. On top of that it had a 5m tape measure too, but I made my co worker carry it back.

Hmm. So looking at endomondo it would appear I need data to run at the same time. I'm just not sure how long my battery will last since it's going to be basically 60 plus miles every day for five days. Well, guess I can stop every now and then and charge while in Ringling or whatever. I'm not out to set any records, just get from point a to point b before the day ends.

Hmm. So looking at endomondo it would appear I need data to run at the same time. I'm just not sure how long my battery will last since it's going to be basically 60 plus miles every day for five days. Well, guess I can stop every now and then and charge while in Ringling or whatever. I'm not out to set any records, just get from point a to point b before the day ends.

Are you on Android? Might be able to use something like Tasker to periodically ping a service.

I'm struggling to think how you're going to send your position without data running...

You could buy a SPOT, but yeah, not cheap.

Nothing stopping you hooking it up to a small battery in your bag either. Unless your phone is really shit, it'll get through a full day recording / sending as long as you've got other apps shut down and your screen is off).

Don't worry about it. People get too caught up in that sort of thing when there's no real need to. Just ensure you've got a smooth pedal stroke and that your knees are going directly up and down like pistons.

Getting very specific on where you're applying power in the pedal stroke probably matters to professional racers, but the rest of us can find bigger increases in speed elsewhere.

HTupolev

Because that's what everyone says you're supposed to do, I don't know!
The human body distributes energy and oxygen and whatever to what needs it. You're not losing efficiency by not "taking more advantage" of upstroke muscles.

What you want to happen, is to let the huge muscles that can perform a task most efficiently perform that task. The hip flexor muscles that come into play on the upstroke aren't those muscles.

Actually, there's evidence that not only do you lose efficiency by pulling on the upstroke, it can even reduce instantaneous power, despite it seeming obvious that more muscles should in the short term be able to churn out more wattage. It seems that neurological limitations and/or hip stability compromise the gains.

It's not necessarily a bad idea let your hamstrings do some gentle lightening on the upstroke to smooth the form and get good ankle motion going, but this still isn't a matter of pulling on the pedals; measurements of pro cyclists show that their pedal force is still overall slightly downward on the upstroke.

For an analogy, consider a more natural motion: endurance running. After a powerful downstroke, leg momentum and body rotation does a lot of the work in putting the foot back into position for another downstroke. In this case we *do* need to use our hips a little, but not much; they're weaker muscles, and we use them only as much as the stroke requires. In the case of cycling, one leg's downstroke fully forces the opposite leg's upstroke to happen, so we sort of don't need to rely on our hips at all to bring the foot back into position for another downstroke.

Also, overuse of hip flexors can cause lower back and hip pain.

//==================

tl;dr The idea that you should be driving the pedal all through the stroke was probably the invention of a clever clipless pedal salesperson looking for a way to upsell someone off their stock Wellgos.

I found out today that I lost my cycling glasses. Had no idea how it happened but my biggest bet is that I forgot on top of the ATM machine while I went to the bank yesterday to withdraw cash. It was roughly 80 bucks, a very lightweight and awesome one :(((

I live in South Korea and I'm looking to get a clear lenses now... Can anyone recommend a site with reasonable prices and nice selection?

Teggy

Don't worry about it. People get too caught up in that sort of thing when there's no real need to. Just ensure you've got a smooth pedal stroke and that your knees are going directly up and down like pistons.

Getting very specific on where you're applying power in the pedal stroke probably matters to professional racers, but the rest of us can find bigger increases in speed elsewhere.

The human body distributes energy and oxygen and whatever to what needs it. You're not losing efficiency by not "taking more advantage" of upstroke muscles.

What you want to happen, is to let the huge muscles that can perform a task most efficiently perform that task. The hip flexor muscles that come into play on the upstroke aren't those muscles...

Gotcha. Although a lot of what I was concentrating on was this from your article:

Do – Think of pulling across the bottom stroke with your hamstring muscles

I'm struggling to think how you're going to send your position without data running...

You could buy a SPOT, but yeah, not cheap.

Nothing stopping you hooking it up to a small battery in your bag either. Unless your phone is really shit, it'll get through a full day recording / sending as long as you've got other apps shut down and your screen is off).
it's a nexus 5x so it should be fine. I just worry about it dying.

If you have an Android phone you can use Tasker to handle this: Every X hours turn on Data, wait X seconds, send location to Hangouts/Telegram/whatever.
huh. I'm not much of a power user so I'm not sure how to make that work. But, I have a few days to learn?

That or endomondo.

Mascot

/gnashes teeth

Shut up Mascot. Don't you dare start. lol

I don't do it all the time, but I was flagging on a long ascent the other day after twenty muddy miles (on a bike carrying around five kilos of accumulated mud, it seemed) and used pulling to boost me up the hill. It was like turning on an electric motor. Works for me, despite what the experts say. *shrugs*

In other news, it's amazing serendipity that the Giant Bombcast is normally around 2.5 hours long, which is pretty much the length of a typical ride for me. Time to give my complete collection of Ricky Gervais podcasts a rest for a while, even though they still crack me up hundreds of listens later.

Utilising other muscles when your main drivers are completely fucked makes sense though. You're just taking some of the pressure off your quads etc.

Kal

Hi Bike GAF!!!

Recently purchased a Scott Scale 950. This is my fist new bike in about a decade :) Every time I ride there is a creaking sound when I lean forward or use the front brakes. I'm taking it in the shop later on today - just wondering if anyone had experienced this before?

Thanks

Mascot

Bah! Lost my computer today. Did eight additional miles looking for it, according to Strava. It's annoying that I must have been inches away from it at least twice.

Mascot

Mmm. Thinking of going GPS now that I'm in the market for a new computer, but not keen on charging the mofo up after every ride. I imagine it ends up being a pain in the ass. The battery in my old Cateye Velo lasts a couple of years..!

Ambit3 Peak Sapphire has all the bells and whistles, including a sapphire glass that won't get scratched. But any old Ambit3 should have all the bike sensor stuff, as well as GPS and heartrate.

Personally, I went with a Traverse because I got it for cheap and it looks like an actual watch, which is important for me. For cycling it has GPS and heart rate which is enough for me.

Been testing out a Brooks Cambium C17. I thought the irritation on my leg was getting used to the saddle, but the 160mm width is the problem. My back thigh is on fire after each ride from it hitting the flare outs. Going to try a C15 which is a more traditional shape and hope it works out.

I really don't know how or why all of a sudden riding a bike is more than uncomfortable this year. It's been beyond frustrating.

Teggy

55 miles today in 90-95 degree (Fahrenheit) heat. That was rough. Did pretty well considering but wound up taking a cold Gatorade break just 1 mile from the finish because it seemed like the smart thing to do given how I was feeling.

Laugh of the day came before the ride even started when I wasn't paying attention and shifted my weight while standing completely still but still clipped in on one side. Got a nice scrape on the knee for my stupidity. They say everyone falls once learning clipless and hopefully that was it.

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
Mmm. Thinking of going GPS now that I'm in the market for a new computer, but not keen on charging the mofo up after every ride. I imagine it ends up being a pain in the ass. The battery in my old Cateye Velo lasts a couple of years..!

I have a Garmin that can do 150 continuous miles on one charge easy. I was annoyed at first but it becomes a part of your finish routine when you get home to plug it in.

Would suck for long road or camping trip obviously. But it charges in less than an hour in a car.

Would never go back to wired or wireless sensors. GPS for ever.

I just wish my unit had temperature and time available in the ride display. I got the cheaper one though. Couple of years old. What's more annoying is mini USB instead of micro.

In mazama wa this weekend doing a mix of trail and roads on my hybrid. Yesterday I got a tailwind on a long flat stretch of highway 20 and averaged 32mph. Felt like a god.

Will take pics tomorrow with hangage.

Fonds

I took delivery of my Canyon Endurace CF last week.
Took it out for a ride yesterday and I have to say I'm blown away by the quality of the ride.
So comfortable and effortless to ride. I'm in love.

Teggy

Something that surprised me from the club ride yesterday was the number of older dudes with big guts. If you are riding as much as these guys do and still maintain that kind of fat you must be going pretty hard with those recovery meals.

Fonds

Something that surprised me from the club ride yesterday was the number of older dudes with big guts. If you are riding as much as these guys do and still maintain that kind of fat you must be going pretty hard with those recovery meals.

Beer is your guts worst enemy.

Top Bottom