• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bicycle age

That's my point, though, even on level ground it doesn't make sense that you'd need a resistance hub for training. Gearing higher accomplishes the same result more enjoyably.
To be honest, I genuinely wouldn't want to ride as fast as I'd need to to hit my full power output on roads near me. Firstly, I'd run out of roads real quick (lots of lights and turns). Secondly, it would be utterly terrifying. I just flat out wouldn't want to go at my full sprint speeds with the wanker drivers that are near me.

Granadier

Is currently on Stage 1: Denial regarding the service game future
Heading to a local bike shop tomorrow to check out some bikes. Boston's pretty chaotic, so I'm going to try and get a good amount of riding in just around before attempting to commute.

Thankfully my commute route is pretty chill.

---

Edit: so I've narrowed down my choice to either the Fuji feather or the Fortified Invincible.

Q7OUF3N.png

Very light, single speed, comfortable seat, perfect sized frame, and it's available right away.

3BsyoY1.png

Going to test this one tomorrow at their HQ. Boston company, "theft proof", same price as the Fuji, single speed, but won't be available until July/August.

Since I'm looking to get a bike ASAP, I think I'm going to be forced to go with the Fuji. If it were available right now though I think the Fortified would be my pick.

Mascot

Another beautiful evening in the woods, but for some reason I suffered a massive energy void. Cut my normal route short by seven miles and am now flaked out on the sofa, shivering. Don't like the sound of this.

1a1a_zpsa7iaucsl.jpg

Beautiful pic. :)

...and I bet you had a better time than me. I just did an FTP test and spent a couple of minutes after each interval trying not to throw up.

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
Speaking of slower riders, I averaged over 16 mph on my 10 mile loop for the first time #babysteps

Lol that's not slow. I averaged 17.5 on my last ride (fairly flat too) and I felt like I was hauling ass. (Hybrid, knobbly tires)

Another beautiful evening in the woods, but for some reason I suffered a massive energy void. Cut my normal route short by seven miles and am now flaked out on the sofa, shivering. Don't like the sound of this.

1a1a_zpsa7iaucsl.jpg

That Tree looks like sexy Groot resting after a battle.

Teggy

Lol that's not slow. I averaged 17.5 on my last ride (fairly flat too) and I felt like I was hauling ass. (Hybrid, knobbly tires)

It's not granny slow, but it's definitely average to below average for club riding. I'd definitely like to be able to stick with the 18-19 mph group eventually. And that's still the recreational guys. We see some real fast clubs in pace lines when we are out. Not sure how those groups get together. They are the younger guys and not part of the bigger clubs that have easy to find web pages etc.

On this weekend's 100 (off road) mile ride at one point my friend and I came across a pace line and managed to latch on to the back of them, pass them then bridge across to the lead group, before passing and dropping them.

Was hilarious as they were all lycrad to the hilt, and even my (usually a roadie) friend was wearing baggies for the day. :)

Teggy

On this weekend's 100 (off road) mile ride at one point my friend and I came across a pace line and managed to latch on to the back of them, pass them then bridge across to the lead group, before passing and dropping them.

Was hilarious as they were all lycrad to the hilt, and even my (usually a roadie) friend was wearing baggies for the day. :)

I'm sure they were all just on a recovery day.

It's not granny slow, but it's definitely average to below average for club riding. I'd definitely like to be able to stick with the 18-19 mph group eventually. And that's still the recreational guys. We see some real fast clubs in pace lines when we are out. Not sure how those groups get together. They are the younger guys and not part of the bigger clubs that have easy to find web pages etc.

Try riding with a guy on a tri bike. We *started* out around 23-25 and it ramped up to 30. Needless to say I blew up within 20 minutes. I was pulling 23-25 on my own with a cross-wind and this dude was just hammering.

Heading to a local bike shop tomorrow to check out some bikes. Boston's pretty chaotic, so I'm going to try and get a good amount of riding in just around before attempting to commute.

Thankfully my commute route is pretty chill.

---

Edit: so I've narrowed down my choice to either the Fuji feather or the Fortified Invincible.

Since I'm looking to get a bike ASAP, I think I'm going to be forced to go with the Fuji. If it were available right now though I think the Fortified would be my pick.

Get the feather.

Granadier

Get the feather.

If it's a commuter bike then I'd say the feather is a no brainer. Nice looking too.

Hey, awesome. Thanks.
Tomorrow I'm heading to the Fortified shop to test out their bike for the hell of it, but the feather is going to be my choice. I just can't wait a month or two even if the Fortified turns out to be great somehow.

Guys, I started cycling seriously last summer, and absolutely love it this year too. Best activity IMO

Riding everywhere around town esp on roads and trails, it's incredible. I have a Kona Dew XL and it's super light, but I would love to pick up more speed especially on the new paved bike paths that they put in downtown after the Pan Am games. (Toronto)

Would a dedicated road bike like the giant defy 3 make that much of a difference to my speed and fun factor? I know its much lighter.

I would still keep my Dew for more trails and crappy roads, shorter distances.

(I ride 3 times a week, one-hour twice and 4 hour long distance ride once).

Guys, I started cycling seriously last summer, and absolutely love it this year too. Best activity IMO

Riding everywhere around town esp on roads and trails, it's incredible. I have a Kona Dew XL and it's super light, but I would love to pick up more speed especially on the new paved bike paths that they put in downtown after the Pan Am games. (Toronto)

Would a dedicated road bike like the giant defy 3 make that much of a difference to my speed and fun factor? I know its much lighter.

I would still keep my Dew for more trails and crappy roads, shorter distances.

(I ride 3 times a week, one-hour twice and 4 hour long distance ride once).

Put different tires on it. Looking at them on their site they're a bit more knobby so if you can find more slick style tires it will change feel and roll.

The Giant will obviously be quicker and more responsive, but tires are cheaper initial option

Fonds

Trust me, you wont feel forced. The feather has a more sporty geometry than the fortified.
It's served me great for years, I'll be interested to hear your thoughts if you get one!

Granadier

So I just got back from testing the Fortified. The guys there are really great, and it seems like a good company. Kyle, the guy who was showing the bike to me, went out on the 8-speed and I took the single speed. Going through the city streets the gearing was perfect (16T) and the bike was very easy to balance. It's definitely stiffer than the feather, and I think the frame counters the thicker tires as far as ride quality is concerned.

Either way, the wait is a no-go for me right now, so the Fortified is out of the equation. If they had some for sale right now it would be a more difficult decision. I did end up buying a set of their lights though so I don't have to worry about getting them stolen.

Trust me, you wont feel forced. The feather has a more sporty geometry than the fortified.
It's served me great for years, I'll be interested to hear your thoughts if you get one!

I'll be ordering the feather later today, and I'll be sure to post my thoughts!

:eek:

One of the users there had some really good info since they were from Boston too.

Teggy

So I just got back from testing the Fortified. The guys there are really great, and it seems like a good company. Kyle, the guy who was showing the bike to me, went out on the 8-speed and I took the single speed. Going through the city streets the gearing was perfect (16T) and the bike was very easy to balance. It's definitely stiffer than the feather, and I think the frame counters the thicker tires as far as ride quality is concerned.

How does the anti theft function work?

Mascot

Energy is a funny thing. I had none last night, struggled with hollow legs from the off and cut my ride short.

One day later and I did over thirty muddy miles at bloody good pace and only stopped after three hours because I was starving. I feel like I could jump back on the bike right now.

Very weird.

Granadier

How does the anti theft function work?

All of the components are installed with custom bolts that have pentalobe + pin heads (kinda looked like Apple screws, but different), and the wheel hubs have lock nuts on them. They also have a replacement plan where if anything is stolen while you have it locked up with their U-lock they will replace it within a day.

Teggy

All of the components are installed with custom bolts that have pentalobe + pin heads (kinda looked like Apple screws, but different), and the wheel hubs have lock nuts on them. They also have a replacement plan where if anything is stolen while you have it locked up with their U-lock they will replace it within a day.

Isn't the biggest danger just losing the whole bike? I assume then they just give you a new bike if it's locked up? Is it a special super strong U lock?

HTupolev

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AU7GFl5mn2U

Isn't the biggest danger just losing the whole bike? I assume then they just give you a new bike if it's locked up? Is it a special super strong U lock?
If a bike is completely loose, then yes, losing the whole bike is the biggest danger. Nobody will bother removing components and leaving the rest, because that's usually more suspicious-looking and time-consuming than just riding off with the bike.

If the bike's frame is U-locked to a secure rack, then the opportunists might focus on components.
A wheel attached by quick release is an easy option; some commuters who leave their bikes at transit stations all day will take one of their wheels with them to work, if they can't route their chain through both wheels, for this reason.
Electronics are also easy. There are plenty of expensive lights that are attached with a rubber strap that can be undone in about 2 seconds, for instance.
If a thief is carrying a few smaller tools but isn't sure about defeating serious locks, there aren't very many components on a bike that really take that long to remove.

Goofy Torx-head-ish bolts can discourage non-serious opportunists.
If someone really wants to steal your bike, then yeah, such measures are very defeatable. But there's not really any way to get around this; if you purchase a gigantic chain designed for huge ship anchors and use it to strap your bike to a tree, someone will see it as a challenge and saw down the tree.

I cannot believe that a 5mm change in my stem height is what has been causing me most of my seat agony. When I went in for a fit I was told the drop is completely up to me as I was within the range for the height. I decided to go for it because AERO (not really) and never really started to connect the two. Not until my new seat came in and I was still in pain. Figured why not and as soon as I sat on the bike it was a revelation. Wasted so much time fighting and figuring this out.

Is asking for opinions on two different forums frowned upon, or something?

Oh no no no. I was just browsing reddit and thought "That looks really familiar".

You must have been right up at the top end of your height range if 5mm fucked you up.

Unrelated, trying to pick a trail for this weekend and I'm spoiled for choice. Don't know if I should try a new one, or go back to one I've done before and smash it for PRs.

I don't think I am because I have plenty of room to work with between seat height, fore/aft and stem length. I just wonder if it's one of those things were the adjustment required compensation elsewhere like fore/aft or angle. The more I dug into positioning on the bike the more I realized you need much more than your typical arm angle, inseam, KOPS, etc. You really need to consider flexibility, torso, discrepancies in lengths, etc.

I don't care either way, I'm good to stick with how it is right now if it means no longer getting a sensation like I'm riding while sitting on a golf ball.

You roadies are sensitive little butterflies. I've done 12 hour rides with my saddle completely out of position (forgot to put it back up after a descent) and not noticed until the next day, but I've known roadies to finish a ride in bits because their saddle tilt was off by a degree. ;)

Granadier

I should have clarified. If any of the parts and/or the entire bike is stolen they will replace it within a day. And the lock isn't anything special. Just a U lock that looks like a slightly weaker version of the Kryptonite mini 6. They file a police report and then monitor second hand sales locations once you report it stolen. If they can't find it within 24 hours they will ship you a new bike.

---

Ordered my feather today along with a Kryptonite New York lock. I love that the place is only a couple of blocks from my apartment, so I don't even have to worry about shipping costs.

You roadies are sensitive little butterflies. I've done 12 hour rides with my saddle completely out of position (forgot to put it back up after a descent) and not noticed until the next day, but I've known roadies to finish a ride in bits because their saddle tilt was off by a degree. ;)

Oh brother, haha

I think the fit and angle comes in more with riding position. Mountain bike is a tad bit more upright, no?

Maybe I should just ride on a Brooks B17 ;)

XC is fucking terrifying now. I have no idea how they handle some of the technical terrain on bikes with geometry like those.

Last time I watched a XC race was 20 years ago and I just remember it being a road course but on dirt. Those rock sections are nuts. One of the courses have wooden bridges and drops. Bonkers how far it's come.

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
Normally don't like riding too early because Seattle mornings are cold. Its already 80 degrees at 9am. Pray for me.

Yaboosh

Super Sleuth
Doing a 72 mile ride around lake Tahoe tomorrow. 7000ft elevation, luckily only 4000ft total elevation gain, but I have never done more than 35 miles and that was all at sea level.

Needless to say, I might need the loser bus to pick me up.

Top Bottom