• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bicycle age

Garmin virb sports camera, bit like the gopro but does some cool data points, also will sync up with their cadence and power sensors, heart rate belts etc.

As long as you have the GPX file you can use the Garmin Virb editor with any video device. The biggest caveat is the camera has to have the same exact time as the GPS device or else they won't sync up that well. You can adjust the delay a few seconds, but if it's off or reset it's a bit more of a pain.

I think he's been out of it too long. As we discussed, the landscape of XCO riding is different now and even in his time away it's changed. He's got handling skills and an engine, but might be too tough to re-transition back to mtb riding.

It'll be fun to watch for sure but I just don't think it's going to be a huge thing like some think. The guy is a freak and very talented, but some people act like he can walk into this and win it.

I see Sagan mentioned a lot as one of the best riders. How come he didn't enter the Giro?

It depends on what they're training for. Guys who enter and try to win the Giro generally don't go for the Tour, and vice versa. The ToC is getting bigger, but it's still very much a B/C Team race or a pre-tour warm up. This is why you may see big GC contenders in the spring classics, but not much after that, This isn't to say that guys wont enter the big grand tours (Giro, TdF, Vuelta), but to enter and win more than one is very tough.

I also may be wrong, but I don't think the Giro is suited to Sagan's style of riding.

teepo

sagan will most likely never win a grand tour, with him being a sprinter and all. in other words, he's too fat.

still, he's prob the best cyclist as of right now. tours are overrated af

Teggy

So I was watching some GCN videos and one came up where they went to a velodrome with Chris Hoy, who I am not familiar with but is obviously one of the great British track cyclists (he's a knight!).

At the end they finally pulled out, and yoooo check out dem legs:

cycle.jpg

Hoy is a fucking monster. The power he could output on the track was ridiculous (if I recall correctly, his squat numbers were no joke either).

sagan will most likely never win a grand tour, with him being a sprinter and all. in other words, he's too fat.

still, he's prob the best cyclist as of right now. tours are overrated af

He can definitely win a grand tour and has plenty of time. He's only 26(!!!) and has already begin to shift his riding style from a pure sprinter to a more well rounded rider. He's not going to crush it in the mountains, but if a tour is ever routed properly to be more suited to his riding style he stands a good chance.

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
Rode to and from work yesterday. 55 mile round trip. 85 degrees. Headwind both ways (literally, thank you weather). Got to the very last four way crossing before my house, which has a bike sharrow. So my intention was to shadow a car as it made the four way crossing, but he lurched forward. So I panicked, bumped into the plastic bollard, braked, AND FUCKING ATE IT CLIPLESS PEDALS STYLE. 400 feet from home.

Bye bye elbow skin.

Yaboosh

Super Sleuth
Rode to and from work yesterday. 55 mile round trip. 85 degrees. Headwind both ways (literally, thank you weather). Got to the very last four way crossing before my house, which has a bike sharrow. So my intention was to shadow a car as it made the four way crossing, but he lurched forward. So I panicked, bumped into the plastic bollard, braked, AND FUCKING ATE IT CLIPLESS PEDALS STYLE. 400 feet from home.

Bye bye elbow skin.

Did you have to look up bollard and sharrow or did you know those words already?

Mascot

I just bought three more pairs of biking gloves (Jacobson, superb quality but super-cheap on eBay at the moment for some reason). That makes eleven pairs that I own in total. Is this excessive?

Funnily enough, I just bought another two pairs. I have about 13 in total, but my argument is that some of them actually belong to the missus.

Unrelated, can any of you roadie types help me out with a suggestion for an ultralightweight, ultra breathable jersey? Hitting full power on the hills in the sun has been utterly destroying me and I need one of those barely decent semi-mesh style jerseys I see roadies (and competitive XC mountain bikers) wearing from time to time.

Just not really sure where to start looking.

Mascot

Unrelated, can any of you roadie types help me out with a suggestion for an ultralightweight, ultra breathable jersey? Hitting full power on the hills in the sun has been utterly destroying me and I need one of those barely decent semi-mesh style jerseys I see roadies (and competitive XC mountain bikers) wearing from time to time.

Just too perfect.

article-2165994-13D3EBC4000005DC-898_306x446_zpsmqqd34oz.jpg

The thinnest and lightest jersey I've personally used have been from Ornot. They're a bit more mesh like and breath fairly well. I honestly don't venture around a lot with jerseys because once I found a brand I liked I just have stuck with them (TwinSix).

There's always that Team Sky Rapha Kit ;)

Anyone of you ever use undershorts? When I do smaller rides with my wife i hate wearing my regular bibs, but I also am not too keen on no-pad riding. Was thinking of grabbing a pair to wear under my shorts for those days.

Teggy

Anyone of you ever use undershorts? When I do smaller rides with my wife i hate wearing my regular bibs, but I also am not too keen on no-pad riding. Was thinking of grabbing a pair to wear under my shorts for those days.

For my shorter rides I have a bunch of less expensive liners and I wear these Pearl Izumi shorts which are more casual but have a nice slim fit so they don't bunch up or anything.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00LXURM34/?tag=neogaf0e-20

All the time. The only time I wear bibs is on the trainer... and that's mostly to keep my stock of undershorts clean.

Some of the better ones are Altura Progel and Endura 8 Panel Liner Shorts. If I was riding on the road then I'd probably just go with something like this though: http://www.endurasport.com/products/?ProductID=83&initcode=E7013BK

(Unless you wanted the more casual look)

kottila

Funnily enough, I just bought another two pairs. I have about 13 in total, but my argument is that some of them actually belong to the missus.

Cafe du cycliste has both merino and ultralight technical lightweight summer jerseys (and they look great). Take a look at the fleurette, lucienne and the micheline http://www.cafeducycliste.com/men/men-s-jerseys.html

Looking at all these jerseys reminded me that I really want a merino one for bikepacking.

I like this one:

lucienne_slate_men_f_b.jpg

My missus would castrate me if I spent that much money on a jersey though.

kottila

Looking at all these jerseys reminded me that I really want a merino one for bikepacking.

I like this one:

lucienne_slate_men_f_b.jpg

My missus would castrate me if I spent that much money on a jersey though.

order it to your job and claim you got it for cheap. It's not even made from modern hight tech fabrics!

Teggy

I adjusted my front derailleur, and after a bit of trial and education, I think I did a pretty good job. Less rubbing and trim is now working properly. We'll see how it does on the road.

On the rear derailleur, shifting up the cassette is super smooth, but I've noticed that shifting down the cassette, while perfectly accurate, can sometimes result in a noticeable "thunk". Is this ok? Most of what I see online for adjusting the rear derailleur is for failure to shift, not a rough shift.

Also, in other news...urgh 5 bicyclists dead after crash north of Kalamazoo

I didn't either until I bought a pair.

Every pair of shorts I tried were cut so poorly. The waist line was like 2 feet too tall and they would slide around a ton.

I've heard that a lot, but oddly I've hard far more grief with bibs. The pads in half of the ones I own are complete garbage for any more than a couple of hours, and the obsession with having a really high waist line has made taking a leak to be a complete pain in the dick... literally.

In dealing with my saddle I started researching bibs / shorts / chamois a ton and started to find that there are A LOT of poorly made chamois out there. Basically it boiled down to people making bibs, but not doing proper testing and understanding of the way the body sits on the bike. So you end up with a lot chamois being placed far too high up the back part of the fabric.

Ultimately wear what you like. For me, I like bibs for harder rides. When I'm out just cruising I prefer the more relaxed feel of regular shorts.

I think this says plenty about the people making these decisions...

An ultra-orthodox Jewish leader has reportedly banned girls aged five and older in some areas of Israel from riding bicycles - claiming it is “immodest”.

The rabbi of the Jerusalem neighbourhood of Nahloat distributed the stringent decree to his followers in synagogues across the area.

He had said young girls riding bicycles could “cause serious damage to their modesty” and that bicycle seats caused young girls to sit in a way men found “provocative”, according to the Arutz Sheva 7 website.

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/w...r-five-riding-bikes-provocative-a7064201.html

Psh, the wheels on my bike probably weigh more than his bike. :p

My climbs are somewhat more technical too.

peak-climb.jpg

(Funnily enough, the climb in that pic is probably less technical than one I did last week)

Edit - Having watched it, I definitely know that agony face. \o/

teepo

just recently i bought the best bibs offered by both louis garneau and peral izumi's (last year models so heavily discounted) and after a few rides, there is no way i'm adding another pair of cheap bibs to my collection unless it's some lavish design from a smaller boutique brand.

the only problem with a lot of the higher end bibs with great chamois is that they tend to have race like fabrics so durability could be an issue, which is a problem i often hear about in regards to rapha's superlight collection. i guess that's just more of a reason to just go all out and buy at least 5-6 kits so you're not constantly putting them in the wash

Mascot

Cwm Carn has some great technical ascents. Must head back there with the new bike.

In other news, I interrupted this evening's ride to watch The Flying Scotsman blast through a local village in all its steam-pumping pomp and glory.

Mascot

Awesome. I love steam engines. :)

It was awesome. There were hundreds of people lining the track and packed onto a bridge (where I was). It went right underneath us, blowing its whistle and belching steam.

:)

I *think* it's the first time I've ever seen it in the metal.

Top Bottom