• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bicycle age

That's another thing that I don't understand about the roads over here: there's no real "correct" side of the road. Someone's in your way? Just go around them! You're driving on the left? Why not park on the right facing the wrong way?

It's harrowing as fuck watching a bus trying to squeeze between two other parked busses and a bike splits the difference.

frontieruk

That's another thing that I don't understand about the roads over here: there's no real "correct" side of the road. Someone's in your way? Just go around them! You're driving on the left? Why not park on the right facing the wrong way?

It's harrowing as fuck watching a bus trying to squeeze between two other parked busses and a bike splits the difference.

These are our sovereign rights! Don't be going all euro on us!!!!

if it wasn't so fucking depressing it would be funny

Thanks for the suggestion on tape btw guys

Mascot

If it's just cable rub patches you need, then email Broken Riders and they'll send you a bunch of free stickers, including some branded helitape (thinner than 3M, but still OK) like this one on the downtube of my Trek.

20160514_124814_zpsri4tz3of.jpg

Ask for some 'for your club' and they'll send a stack of them.

Might actually be like real cycling for once... you know, actually having to put in a bit of effort. :p

Related, 5 day trip coming up for me, and my arm is still totalled.

Portland is going to feel so small when I get back.

The one thing we keep discussing is that if the bus drivers and bike riders (and drivers too, I guess) could come over here for a day they wouldn't complain ever again about how "bad" they have it. Jesus. The size of pelotons here at the lights are so big...they positively dwarf anything I've seen commuting in Portland.

Of note: was walking to dinner and two guys sped by. Apparently the first guy had yelled at the second about running a red light so they were exchanging words (Guy two called guy one a "monkey balls"). The thing is...I've watched the traffic at lights and just about everyone runs lights so how could you tell?!

Karakand

While I was at the LBS today, someone brought in a Magna for a shifter replacement.

There was a sticker on the seat tube advertising that the seat tube was hi-ten.

I4MSKWB.gif

Ah jeez, lmao. 😂

Been trying to arrange a vintage purchase for weeks now and I've been seeing stuff like this, but at least that's individuals trying to hock schlock on Craigslist.

Mascot

Oof!

Reminds me of https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SLMa5-n2OVc

Did a mountain biking holiday around Minnesota/Great Lakes/Canada in the early 1990s and saw a few big-ass bears on the trails. Never felt in danger though - but I probably thought they were cute without realising how deadly they could be.

Edit: Ha ha, found this photo from that holiday. Coooooool helmet, me.

Jesus Christ, 24 years ago...

bike_0006_zps684374a7.jpg

ngower

I don't post in here much, but when I do it's usually with n00b questions about an upcoming mini-tour (NYC to BOS). I feel like I've got a decent grip on my plans so far, but one thing I didn't even consider until now: do I need to look into new wheel sets geared towards touring? I've replaced the stock tires that come with the Cross Check, but everything else should be fine as far as handling the weight of a relatively lightweight tour, right? I remember seeing some tour where a dude was not prepared and his wheels sorta bent in mid-ride.

Hubs
Shimano HB-T610-L, QR. 32h. Black

Rims
Alex DH19 700c 32h doublewall, black w/ machined sidewall

Spokes
DT Swiss Champion, 14g

chifanpoe

Been riding a lot lately now that both my 5 and 10 year old girls are into biking. Girls want to do "jumps" and ride in the dirt so...

Found my old Specialized M2 frame and decided to build it up for some Vintage XC fun. I bought it new in 1997 while going to college in Montana. Been collecting dust for a while with me more on road bikes over the past few years. Found some old parts and did some used/new parts fun on ebay. Some carbon here, Ti there, and ceramic bearing around and she is pretty quick/lite for an old girl. Anyway here is some 26'er love for you guys.
hoMCcGq.jpg

HTupolev

I don't post in here much, but when I do it's usually with n00b questions about an upcoming mini-tour (NYC to BOS). I feel like I've got a decent grip on my plans so far, but one thing I didn't even consider until now: do I need to look into new wheel sets geared towards touring? I've replaced the stock tires that come with the Cross Check, but everything else should be fine as far as handling the weight of a relatively lightweight tour, right? I remember seeing some tour where a dude was not prepared and his wheels sorta bent in mid-ride.

Hubs
Shimano HB-T610-L, QR. 32h. Black

Rims
Alex DH19 700c 32h doublewall, black w/ machined sidewall

Spokes
DT Swiss Champion, 14g
That's basically a mountain bike wheel. As long as the spokes have enough tension it should be quite tough.

//=====================================

Sooooo monday/tuesday/wednesday I was out mini-touring northern Washington and southern British Columbia.

No front rack, about 24 pounds of stuff on the rear rack. All that weight strapped high up made things sort of unstable, bike kinda wobbled when I stood up and had my weight forward. Otherwise it was surprisingly nimble and felt basically normal. There was a shocking lack of unintentional wheelies.

Heading North through Skagit County, with Mount Baker in the background:

I51o1gg.jpg

Not long after taking that photo, my front tube started losing air. Couldn't find the cause, but I'd gotten multiple flats recently on the tire... decided to throw a gatorskin on at the next LBS.

When I got to Burlington, I decided to take Chuckanut (SR11) to Bellingham. Was reasonably scenic, and it seems popular for touring; I saw a few other loaded bikes along the way.

jArpfZU.jpg

I set up camp in Surrey BC.

On Tuesday, I decided to leave the camping stuff behind and go for a sort of day trip with just the pannier contents (a credit card touring setup, pretty much). Road my bike to Tsawwassen, which has a couple port thingies jutting out into the Straight. One of them is a ferry terminal which got me to Swartz Bay on Vancouver Island, the other had cargo ships.

EmnsYF5.jpg

From Swartz Bay I went to Victoria and had some delicious naan and tomato-based chicken curry for lunch. Afterwards I headed back to Swartz Bay for the ferry back.

The Vancouver Island coast is nice. By the way, a theme of this mini-tour is that Mount Baker is visible from basically everywhere.

TdhthR3.jpg

Mount Baker from the ferry at Swartz Bay just as we were starting to move back to Tsawwassen:

sakWTo3.jpg

The last day I more or less retraced my path back home. One of the major differences is that I took I-5 from the Canadian border down to Bellingham. Normally cycling on the I-5 shoulder interests me about as much as cycling in a nuclear warzone, but on the way up, Google Maps had sent me on a zig-zagging path through ruts and chipseal bad enough to make me wish I was on my Stumpjumper.

And there were 15-20mph headwinds.

Oh well.

At least there was a decent view of Baker.

9JnggN3.jpg

South of Bellingham, the hills of Chuckanut were very pleasant. Sunny, the wind didn't permeate them, just lots of scenic spinning.

Rl1S1bq.jpg

Anyway, wound up being a decent 3 days of cycling. Covered somewhere in the ballpark of 280 miles, decent weather, lots of good curry, used the tour to justify stuffing my face with way too much food in the last 24 hours. All-in-all a pretty good deal.

ngower

Jealous of the mini-tour. I'm just trying to get up to a half-century right meow. My hope is that I can get down to the Cape OR up to Portland, ME/Portsmouth, NH from southern NH in weekend.

Been riding a lot lately now that both my 5 and 10 year old girls are into biking. Girls want to do "jumps" and ride in the dirt so...

Found my old Specialized M2 frame and decided to build it up for some Vintage XC fun. I bought it new in 1997 while going to college in Montana. Been collecting dust for a while with me more on road bikes over the past few years. Found some old parts and did some used/new parts fun on ebay. Some carbon here, Ti there, and ceramic bearing around and she is pretty quick/lite for an old girl. Anyway here is some 26'er love for you guys.
hoMCcGq.jpg

Very nice!

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
Chain rattle halp!

Only in first gears (largest hub) and I can eliminate it in 1:1 (2nd gear I guess?) by thumbing the shifter so it is at fullest tension.

So I assume it just needs an adjustment to be tighter when in those low gears. Question is what to adjust? Five year old Shimano system on a Gary Fisher hybrid.

Crankset
Shimano
Chainrings
48/36/26
Front Derailleur
Shimano Deore
Rear Derailleur
Shimano SLX Shadow
Rear Cogs
SRAM PG-950, 9-speed: 11-26

teepo

pqXVoyb.jpg

right as i was passing by the cemetery, morrisey told me to meet him at the cemetery gates. i took pictures to pass the time but he never showed :(

this is the first bike pic i've taken all year, i've been slacking

Went on an epic ride today, 40km of mountain biking goodness. I planned a route that will take me through all my favourite spots, in order to approximate an mtb race. Gotta work on that trail riding stamina.

It naturally included a climb to the highest natural spot in Helsinki (60m, sad I know), with some WW2 vintage bunkers:

WfvwJGW.jpg

Stinkles

On San Juan island staying in an airstream. Circumnavigated the entire island on an easy but beautiful two hour loop.

I believe that's Canada and a navy destroyer in the background.

youqacB.jpg

Granadier

Is currently on Stage 1: Denial regarding the service game future
At first I read "San Juan island" and thought California. Would been some serious draw distance to see Canada.

Mascot

I'm way too scared of concrete to do that, but my friend bent a tooth on his chainring jumping around.
For the past twelve hours I legit thought you meant a tooth in his head, and trying to fathom just what trick he was attempting kept me up half the night.

Stinkles

At first I read "San Juan island" and thought California. Would been some serious draw distance to see Canada.

Just did a variation on same ride as yesterday. Apparently there was 2500 feet of elevation gain in the loop. Lots of garter snakes and deer today. The former are shedding apparently. Man this island is beautiful. I wish I wasn't so lame about taking photos.

Also my chain slap is driving me mad. Wish I wasn't so mechanically incompetent.

Top speed of 42mph. Thank god for disc brakes.

Mascot

Did 68 today with two guys who can easily pull 25+ for an entire ride. Completely gassed and want to curl into a ball.

I feel the same. Just 33 miles for me but most offroad and most through mud. It was supposed to be a gentle bimble to test the gammy knee after a week of rest but it was such a beautiful day I just kept on going. No knee reaction thus far but I am fucking spent, and that's also after an hour's snooze in the garden afterwards. Aw shit, I did mow seven lawns and wash the car today as well. Maybe that was it.

No sign of the beast but I didn't chance it.

20160703_111101_zps0t99ung6.jpg

I feel the same. Just 33 miles for me but most offroad and most through mud. It was supposed to be a gentle bimble to test the gammy knee after a week of rest but it was such a beautiful day I just kept on going. No knee reaction thus far but I am fucking spent, and that's also after an hour's snooze in the garden afterwards. Aw shit, I did mow seven lawns and wash the car today as well. Maybe that was it.

No sign of the beast but I didn't chance it.

At one point I had a cramp up and down my right leg. I was basically chugging my electrolyte drink to try and make up for it. I was just at the point where if I stood up to pedal my whole quad would just turn into a knot.

I'm glad I was able to push how I did but god damn.

so my LBS had a huge America is great, aka July 4th sale, and everything in the store was 20% off. i mean, even the jelly bellies. anyway, bought the Kickr, put it together last night and played around for a few mins since it was pretty late. today did my first trainer road ride in erg mode and oh my god why didn't i get this sooooner. i actually have to shift down on higher watts unlike shifting into a big gear. as it should be. granted, my cyclops mageto pro was nice, but thing is a damn beast. exceeded expectations and the feel is just great. also loved playing around the wahoo app and plugging in a watt target. that's gonna be great for intervals. also looking forward to some of these strava segment rides and GPS based (kinomap) adventures. anyone try those out? any recommendations beyond the usual (trainer road, zwift)?

I've been wanting a KCKR, but am probably going with the Tacx Vortex Smart instead. I've had the KK Road for two years now, but kind of annoyed with it. If I ever take my bike off I never can get the same wheel pressure twice in a row. Tried the inRide add on but I could never get it to pair and spin down properly.

I can't say good things enough about TrainerRoad. The programs are good and to me well structured. There's a program in there for every kind of riding.

I tried Zwift twice, I think, and it's definitely cool but without a proper trainer it kind of stunk.

teepo

i'll be ecstatic when gaf group rides on zwift become a thing

i just basically use trainerroad and zwift with my kickr

Teggy

i'll be ecstatic when gaf group rides on zwift become a thing

i just basically use trainerroad and zwift with my kickr

I'm definitely thinking of getting either the kickr or another smart trainer once it gets too cold to ride. Zwift looks pretty fun.

Karakand

Bought a vintage bike (from a Zwift employee oddly) today that was fitted with Huret Jubilee dérailleurs. This might be the sexiest mech ever made.
wow.png

Weighs less than the new mountain bike dérailleur Shimano is passing off as Dura-Ace too.
troll.png

Just got back from four days of bikepacking. Really odd weather, went from amazing to horrible in seconds at times. Am horribly burned, and also completely eaten by midges.

Final day turned into some sort of crazy time trial. Did a mixed section (on and off road) to Rhayader and then hammered it back home. 12 hours in total giving it everything I had. 129 miles, average speed of 12mph (including food stops).

Not bad for a 20kg bike weight (with bags), knobbly bike tyres and a camelbak full of water and snacks. ;)

Top Bottom