• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bicycle age

JPKellams

My new bike is finally being built... Although the insane reach of the Aeronova meant stem selection was a huge pain.

13525364_605336429632116_896056304_n.jpg

Granadier

Is currently on Stage 1: Denial regarding the service game future
Got some leanage in yesterday on my ride around Fresh Pond. The roads leading there were not bike friendly at all, but the lake and parks around it were beautiful.

Mascot

No reaction from the gammy knee today after yesterday's 30+, and I've been itching all day to get out again this evening. Decided to do the sensible thing though and rest it up for a few more days, just in case. Thursday will be my next opportunity.

Tell me I did the right thing, CycleGAF. The woods are calling like a busty banshee!

Mascot

Don't fuck up your knees. I've come close and it would have frankly ruined my life.

I'm sure my bad knee is a throwback to a childhood injury (got pushed off a garage roof and landed on my left knee, basically). For years the slightest knock (eg banging it against a school desk) would render it completely useless for days. I seemed to make a complete recovery and had decades of trouble-free sport, but I think it's catching up on me in my late forties. AND IT FUCKING SUCKS.

Because you don't need to be bottom-paged.

Brampton bike hire is jacked, man. I couldn't get anything to work right and just gave up on cycling while I'm over here. Oh well, I'm only here for two more day so it's not a total loss.

Can't wait to see how much weight I've put on, the food here is awesome. Well, except for the curry tonight. Actual Indian place in Ashford. So far "spicy" hasn't meant much to English food so I figured maybe two chili's wouldn't be that bad. Nope. I didn't even make it to the bus stop before my stomach was yelling at me. Ugh.

The railway here is amazing. Wish the idiots back home would get off their asses and just fund the high speed rail system.

RSTEIN

Comics, serious business!
3 years ago I bought my entry level Trek 29er. The thing is a tank, weighing in at 14,400gr (31.8lbs). The basic Shimano components and god awful Suntour XCT V4 fork are on the verge of falling apart. Every bump is accompanied by an echo of rattles and clanks. Nails on a chalkboard sound like heaven in comparison to the squeal of the Tektro brakes.

The good news is the frame (Gary Fisher/G2 geometry/Alpha Gold Aluminum) is fantastic. So I'll be upgrading every part over the next year. I just purchased a new Manitou Marvel fork (100mm). This fork has great reviews and at under CAD$300 it was a steal. It's very light, too, coming in at 1,798gr vs. 2,750gr for my current Suntour. Next up are the tires and rims and a Shimano XT transmission. By the end of it I should have a nice 26lb 29er with a total cost less than a new, similarly-spec'd bike.

Anyone have any insight into 2x10 or 1x11? I'm leaning towards 2x10 right now.

Depends on what you're riding. If you're doing decent distances over very varied terrain (especially lots of hills)... 2 x 10. If not, 1 x 11.

Range can obviously be the same between the two, but unfortunately some of the jumps between gears can be utterly massive on 1 x 11, leaving you either struggling with a gear or spinning wildly.

That's basically a mountain bike wheel. As long as the spokes have enough tension it should be quite tough.

//=====================================

Sooooo monday/tuesday/wednesday I was out mini-touring northern Washington and southern British Columbia.

No front rack, about 24 pounds of stuff on the rear rack. All that weight strapped high up made things sort of unstable, bike kinda wobbled when I stood up and had my weight forward. Otherwise it was surprisingly nimble and felt basically normal. There was a shocking lack of unintentional wheelies.

Heading North through Skagit County, with Mount Baker in the background:

I51o1gg.jpg

Not long after taking that photo, my front tube started losing air. Couldn't find the cause, but I'd gotten multiple flats recently on the tire... decided to throw a gatorskin on at the next LBS.

When I got to Burlington, I decided to take Chuckanut (SR11) to Bellingham. Was reasonably scenic, and it seems popular for touring; I saw a few other loaded bikes along the way.

jArpfZU.jpg

I set up camp in Surrey BC.

On Tuesday, I decided to leave the camping stuff behind and go for a sort of day trip with just the pannier contents (a credit card touring setup, pretty much). Road my bike to Tsawwassen, which has a couple port thingies jutting out into the Straight. One of them is a ferry terminal which got me to Swartz Bay on Vancouver Island, the other had cargo ships.

EmnsYF5.jpg

From Swartz Bay I went to Victoria and had some delicious naan and tomato-based chicken curry for lunch. Afterwards I headed back to Swartz Bay for the ferry back.

The Vancouver Island coast is nice. By the way, a theme of this mini-tour is that Mount Baker is visible from basically everywhere.

TdhthR3.jpg

Mount Baker from the ferry at Swartz Bay just as we were starting to move back to Tsawwassen:

sakWTo3.jpg

The last day I more or less retraced my path back home. One of the major differences is that I took I-5 from the Canadian border down to Bellingham. Normally cycling on the I-5 shoulder interests me about as much as cycling in a nuclear warzone, but on the way up, Google Maps had sent me on a zig-zagging path through ruts and chipseal bad enough to make me wish I was on my Stumpjumper.

And there were 15-20mph headwinds.

Oh well.

At least there was a decent view of Baker.

9JnggN3.jpg

South of Bellingham, the hills of Chuckanut were very pleasant. Sunny, the wind didn't permeate them, just lots of scenic spinning.

Rl1S1bq.jpg

Anyway, wound up being a decent 3 days of cycling. Covered somewhere in the ballpark of 280 miles, decent weather, lots of good curry, used the tour to justify stuffing my face with way too much food in the last 24 hours. All-in-all a pretty good deal.

Forgive me newbie status, but where did you sleep? Did you just camp out? I'm getting a road bike soon and this sort of weekend getaway is extremely tempting.

RSTEIN

Depends on what you're riding. If you're doing decent distances over very varied terrain (especially lots of hills)... 2 x 10. If not, 1 x 11.

Range can obviously be the same between the two, but unfortunately some of the jumps between gears can be utterly massive on 1 x 11, leaving you either struggling with a gear or spinning wildly.

I do long distances (20km to 60km) with hills. I guess 2x10?

I'd not seen that post before... guy needs some lightweight / highly packable gear. :)

When I do that sort of thing it's generally just a case of finding somewhere away from major thoroughfares and wild camping (see laws in your area etc). Some people do credit card touring (staying in motels / b&bs), others do campsites etc.

Loads of info here: http://www.bikepacking.com/plan/tips/

I do long distances (20km to 60km) with hills. I guess 2x10?

I would, yeah. Annoying to get to a big hill and having to spin it out at f'all miles per hour because you don't have a slightly better gear to use.

RSTEIN

I'd not seen that post before... guy needs some lightweight / highly packable gear. :)

When I do that sort of thing it's generally just a case of finding somewhere away from major thoroughfares and wild camping (see laws in your area etc). Some people do credit card touring (staying in motels / b&bs), others do campsites etc.

Loads of info here: http://www.bikepacking.com/plan/tips/

I would, yeah. Annoying to get to a big hill and having to spin it out at f'all miles per hour because you don't have a slightly better gear to use.

Any reason to not do 3x10 or is that out of style?

Better chainline on 2 x 10, 3 x 10 has massive redundancy of gears.

Probably still an option if you're in the alps or something, but not for rides most of us would do.

Mascot

2x10 it is, thanks!
Seriously, fuck having a front mech. 1x11 should be all you need. I went from 3x9 to 1x10 and the adjustment took all of five minutes. I ride a complex mish mash of terrain and have never missed those 17 phantom gears.

PT has shares in a front mech company.

Celebrate the silence, simplicity and featherweight of a one-by and don't look back!

None of those have decent length hills in them. Stop projecting your weight weenie, silent drivetrain wannaby Jimmy inadequacies on mountain bikers.

Seriously, fuck having a front mech. 1x11 should be all you need. I went from 3x9 to 1x10 and the adjustment took all of five minutes. I ride a complex mish mash of terrain and have never missed those 17 phantom gears.

PT has shares in a front mech company.

Celebrate the silence, simplicity and featherweight of a one-by and don't look back!

Been thinking about converting my 2x11. Right now it's an 11 speed with a 50/32 up front. I seldom go into that 32 for where I live. I figure going big in the back would more than make up for it.

To save Psycho the snark: it's totally for weight 😉

trebbble

I've been rocking the 1x10s round here on most of my bikes for the past couple of years without any problems other than the occasional dropped chain.

My sole outlier bike is getting a conversion next time it goes into the shop too.

For me it's about simplicity, ease of maintenance, and cleaning. I don't see myself going back.

I am keen to try a 1x11 though, and I'd love to try a 1x12 once it comes down in price.

I've been rocking the 1x10s round here on most of my bikes for the past couple of years without any problems other than the occasional dropped chain.

My sole outlier bike is getting a conversion next time it goes into the shop too.

For me it's about simplicity, ease of maintenance, and cleaning. I don't see myself going back.

I am keen to try a 1x11 though, and I'd love to try a 1x12 once it comes down in price.

Get a narrow wide and the chain should stop dropping.

HTupolev

Forgive me newbie status, but where did you sleep? Did you just camp out?
Yep. You can see the tent, sleeping mat, and sleeping bag on the rack in the photos for days 1 and 3.

Been thinking about converting my 2x11. Right now it's an 11 speed with a 50/32 up front. I seldom go into that 32 for where I live. I figure going big in the back would more than make up for it.
Don't ditch the second ring. Use an 11-23 cassette and replace the 50-32 with 53-51. Destroy your enemies with perfect cadence.

PXGdGom.jpg

I could see that working with an electronic groupset. You'd have tiny little jumps between gears if you could change the front effectively.

...but yeah, batshit. :D

Top Bottom