• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bicycle age

This pops up regularly, it's not the wrong size. I just have long legs and short arms. Which means that unless the frame is super tall, there's going to be lots of seat post showing. But then there'll be too much reach, which is worse.

RSTEIN

Comics, serious business!
That is by far the most seatpost I've ever seen on a bike. You must pick up a lot of ladies with that big post.

This pops up regularly, it's not the wrong size. I just have long legs and short arms. Which means that unless the frame is super tall, there's going to be lots of seat post showing. But then there'll be too much reach, which is worse.

Ah, a fellow improperly proportioned rider. I have a shorter torso so I end up looking slammed forward on every bike.

Charge Plug is a bike with geometry that fits me (ignore the terrible handlebar, I swapped it for a modern compact bar).

edit: another would be Salsa El Mariachi now that I look at it. I've been drooling over the frame anyway and the Germans are selling 'em for cheap. Hmm...

DSxzIxH.jpg

Teggy

I get the same damn annoying headache after every ride, no matter how short. Right above my right eye. I've started drinking more water before I ride and that has helped but I still get it. :(

Mascot

I get the same damn annoying headache after every ride, no matter how short. Right above my right eye. I've started drinking more water before I ride and that has helped but I still get it. :(
This time last year I was getting really bad headaches all centred around my left eye. They were totally debilitating, bad enough for me to be eventually sent for a brain scan after exhausting all chemical attempts at controlling them. The eventual best guess was an inflamed nerve or blood vessel, but a whole platoon of experts weren't really sure. They still come and go but aren't as intense now. Biking seems to help, actually. Hope you get yours sorted - it sucks.

Teggy

How long are you riding for?
Is your helmet perhaps too tight?

The shortest rides I do are 10 mile/40 minutes and then I do longer rides on weekends, 30-40 miles right now. It definitely seems like a hydration thing, helmet is fine. I started drinking a full Nalgene before leaving for my longer rides (didn't think to do it today since it was a short one) and it definitely helped. I'll try adding in an electrolyte drink instead of plain water next.

Last week I read up on it and the description of exertion headaches pretty much matched exactly, right down to the localized nature.

JPKellams

It could be exertion if you are in a really hot climate or you are really out of shape.

It sounds more like your position is causing you to pinch a nerve in your neck/spinal area. Have you done a proper fitting? Also road or mountain?

Teggy

It could be exertion if you are in a really hot climate or you are really out of shape.

It sounds more like your position is causing you to pinch a nerve in your neck/spinal area. Have you done a proper fitting? Also road or mountain?

Road. It was actually in the 90s today. The headache doesn't come until about 15 minutes after I'm done with the ride.

Mascot

This climb isn't bad, but to be honest, 75% of the climbs there are on road...

...you're not a filthy roadie are you?

I can't remember which climb I did last at Cwm Carn, but it was forty minutes of slippery steep rock. I guess the roads are there for pussies, or emergency vehicles.

Anyway, front mechs are a lie we've believed for far too long.

A sunny day during a rainy week! Had to get in a little bit of riding. Also I really have to get a new fork one of these days.

hrbgsyy.jpg

Excellent hangage, sir.

Anyone notice how downright boring Tour de France is this year? It's like all the teams have realized that if nobody races, there is no risk of falling behind.

So a few ideas of what you can try:

1. Make sure youre eating enough in general. When I first started riding I was still on a low-carb diet and headaches were frequent. Once I went back to a normal diet they went away

2. Drink water throughout the day, and watch your sodium intake. Try to balance your sodium and potassium so you're properly hydrated. Chugging 32oz before a ride isn't the right way to do it

3. Try eating something with carbs immediately after a ride. A granola bar, museli, oatmeal, anything like that.

My hunch is you're running on depleted glycogen stores and never getting them properly restocked. If you search around for people who get headaches you'll see it's most often related to nutrition and sugar.

-SG

Just wanted to post a pic from a recent ride. I spend most of my time on the road bike but every now and then I'll do some off-road exploring.

TqJjrSe.jpg

Teggy

So a few ideas of what you can try:

1. Make sure youre eating enough in general. When I first started riding I was still on a low-carb diet and headaches were frequent. Once I went back to a normal diet they went away

2. Drink water throughout the day, and watch your sodium intake. Try to balance your sodium and potassium so you're properly hydrated. Chugging 32oz before a ride isn't the right way to do it

3. Try eating something with carbs immediately after a ride. A granola bar, museli, oatmeal, anything like that.

My hunch is you're running on depleted glycogen stores and never getting them properly restocked. If you search around for people who get headaches you'll see it's most often related to nutrition and sugar.

Will give this a shot, thanks.

In Paris. Wow, I didn't think I could be more appalled than in London but boy was I wrong. Holy crap. The only thing I haven't seen driving on the pavement are the busses, I've seen at least one of everything else.

It's weird how everyone is speaking French too. After two-ish weeks in London with so many different accents and languages this is different.

Oh and the fully armed military squads walking around randomly is strange as well. Talk about wtf when you turn the corner in the louvre to the Mona Lisa and there's eight fully kitted military bad asses takin selfies and posing with the painting. And that was only the first one I saw, ran into several different squads thought the day in many different parts of the city.

Trying to sleep now because I have an early flight back to the states. Uefa2016 says that ain't going to happen. It's so loud! Makes the Portuguese neighborhood I was in for their big win last week look like a normal evening back home.

HTupolev

Yesterday I kicked off a mini-tour of the Cascades and Eastern Washington. Would have made a post a day ago, but I was without reception for a while.

I've taken the North Cascades Highway eastward across the mountains.

Here's where I got onto the highway in Rockport area, along the Skagit river:

qyZrXMf.jpg

You'll notice a 2L bottle strapped to the handlebars; there's a huge stretch of the highway with basically nothing, so I figured I'd bolster my water capacity.

As the foothills started to give way to mountains:

7wAWmeu.jpg

Stopped for the night at Colonial Creek campground, near the start of where the grades started to get real. And they did get sort of real, I'm not quite epic enough for the bike weight and gearing; definitely spent some time at lower cadences than I'd like.

On the bridge at the campground this morning:

V5MMIjs.jpg

The bright blue water is a popular view on the highway. The water system up here is controlled by Seattle City Light, but I didn't take photos of any of the dams.

Overlooking the water after some climbing:

cdrPYko.jpg

And here's a view from the top of Washington Pass. The gorge formed by the elevation I'm on and the mountains you can see on the far side is basically the east side of the pass; the next 15 miles were a thrill of two walls of mountain rushing by. Lots of 53-14!

K0xvH73.jpg

I woke up today and wanted to cycle. I haven't been on a bike in probably close to a decade but dang I just really want to start. I think it would be good exercise but I've no idea where to start. I think a simple city bike would do me.

Mascot

No, they look very large, and very tough.

They're Continental Rubber Queens - I don't *think* there's anything unusual about them? I gashed a sidewall a few weeks ago, so they aren't that tough...! :p
Superglued it back together.

The Queen of Knobbly Tyres

This sporty Queen is great value for money to tune your Freeride, All Mountain or Enduro bike.

"The heavily siped paddle style centre tread is rampled just enough to keep it rolling better than you might expect, but the open spaces means it refuses to clog..there's enough flat surface to hook up well on rocks and harder trails..multi shaped shoulder knobs take the traction over as far as you dare to lean..." MBUK Trail Tyre Test Winner

danowat

Banned
Ahah, a speedster. Good man.

Indeed, any others on here race?

My racing has lapsed in the last year or two, I raced the UCI amateur champs in Peterborough in 2015, and got a place in the finals in Denmark, but British cycling are a pain when trying to get GB skinsuits if you aren't in the squad, so couldn't go in the end as I could source one.

sportograf-61778009_lowres_zpsiz51docj.jpg

sportograf-61784673_lowres_zpsvsokfdkp.jpg

sportograf-61780188_lowres_zpsfc3fijas.jpg

I am trying to get back into it, I competed in the BBAR (British best all rounder) in 2012 and 2014, which is best average speed over 50 & 100 miles and 12hrs, both years exceeding 22mph average, my best 12hr was 253 miles , not too shabby for a 42 year old chubster ;)

Top Bottom