• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bicycle age

I do... but in a slightly different manner to you. Off road, and anywhere from 12 hours to three days in length. lol

I did used to do shorter stuff, but I found myself half killing myself. I actually have no idea how fast I am on a proper road setup... as I've never been willing to inflict the lycra covered version of myself on the world.

danowat

Banned
I do... but in a slightly different manner to you. Off road, and anywhere from 12 hours to three days in length. lol

I did used to do shorter stuff, but I found myself half killing myself. I actually have no idea how fast I am on a proper road setup... as I've never been willing to inflict the lycra covered version of myself on the world.

Nice, I know a few off roaders, a few in my team compete in local forest series in the winter.

You have to embrace the lycra ;)

Psycho loves to try and rustle the feathers for the roadies but it's all in good fun.

I'm trying to do both two things get in the way: time and money

Ahah, a speedster. Good man.
lol, I'm assuming that huge blue thing is the battery to keep that fucker charged.

What could possibly go wrong while playing Pokemon on your bike

Mascot

There's a cycling GAF?, wow.......

Amateur racer checking in, cycling about 150-200 miles a week, always wear a helmet ;)

Well well well... welcome to the dark side, Dan. Never thought you'd be a spandex warrior, and a serious one at that. Expect a lot of adulation from your fellow Jimmies while us mountain bikers drink beer and snigger behind your backs.

:p

danowat

Banned
Well well well... welcome to the dark side, Dan. Never thought you'd be a spandex warrior, and a serious one at that. Expect a lot of adulation from your fellow Jimmies while us mountain bikers drink beer and snigger behind your backs.

:p

I'm more than happy to share an Espresso and a slice of cake with my baggy shorted and dirty kneed brethren ;)

I've done a couple of mtb half marathons (about as far as I can go full gas on trail) and cyclocross races. Basically if I can finish without dying too much, it's a win in my books.

In other news, I went gravel grinding today. Got a pinch flat which sucked and cut the ride short, but it sure was pretty out there:

NHxF6Iu.jpg

Mascot

I've done a couple of mtb half marathons (about as far as I can go full gas on trail) and cyclocross races. Basically if I can finish without dying too much, it's a win in my books.

In other news, I went gravel grinding today. Got a pinch flat which sucked and cut the ride short, but it sure was pretty out there:

NHxF6Iu.jpg

I much prefer your other bike, the one without the squiggly handlebars.

I got a chance to try out the WTB Horizon Plus, and god damn were they heavy. They ride smooth as hell, but the bike felt like I was moving a boat.

I seriously can't comprehend that helmet thread. I don't know what's worse: The people who say facts indicate helmets are bad or the Dutch who can't understand that every country can't have a culture like theirs

There aren't 5 spare tubes and a full patch kit in that huge saddlebag?

That's where he keeps his tent...

...or his pic-in-ic basket.

My friend has a similar sized one and he had the chance to redeem it by telling me he had spare brake pads in there when mine went mid ride... he failed miserably.

HTupolev

In the road market?, I understand it's great for off road, but I don't think I know any roadies who use them.
It's not as obvious for road bikes as for mountain bikes since you don't need to run ultra-low PSI, but you still get advantages like better flat protection. They roll as well as clinchers too, besides ultra-fancy latex tube setups.

Clinchers still have wider tire selection and are simpler to set up, which is why they're still dominant.

I run tubeless on mtb already. The rims on the crosser are supposed to be tubeless compatible, and I've been eyeing some new tyres. Schwable X-One or WTB Crosswolf, or maybe even Maxxis Rambler.

Road tubeless pretty much requires both rims and tyres to be tubeless compatible, because of the high pressures. Otherwise there's a risk of blowing the tyre off the rim mid ride, which sounds grim.

HTupolev

Enlighten me, can any rim support it?, just need to buy the right tyre and go?
Rims designed for tubeless have a different inner profile.

A rim that is "tubeless-ready" has the right profile but has to be sealed (spoke holes, valve stem) to actually be used tubeless. That's standard stuff, though.

You can technically seal a non-tubeless rim and run tubeless on it, but things often go sloppily and require more work.

I like the one about learning a martial art to learn how to fall properly, classic.

Alright, one then!.

Enlighten me, can any rim support it?, just need to buy the right tyre and go?

I'm using Stans Grail rims which are tubeless ready. The rims for tubeless have a deeper channel and bead to help the tire stay in place. It's how I'm able to run Panaracer Gravel Kings despite them not being officially tubeless compatible.

Instead of running at 110-120 on a 23/25 I'm now running 55 on a 32. There some very minor feel when starting but overall they're rolling just as smooth as when I ran GP4000s. The other day I ran over a broken bottle and had no issues. I've hit curbs, holes, glass shards, tree roots, curb hoped and been fine. I still get punctures from the dumbest stuff but the sealant just does its thing. Stans has road specific sealant coming out soon so that will be huge.

If there is an issue with sealant you just throw a tube in. Pull the stem out, drain the liquid and slap a tube in.

Overall the set ups still run mostly towards gravel grinders and cross racers, but I don't know if I'd go back. I rarely find myself thinking "can I ride this" when seeing fire trails or pathways.

Out of curiosity, what brands of helmets are y'all wearing? I;ve been thinking abiut investing in A POC since they're saftey first, but they are kind of bolbous looking.

danowat

Banned
Out of curiosity, what brands of helmets are y'all wearing? I;ve been thinking abiut investing in A POC since they're saftey first, but they are kind of bolbous looking.

Road helmet is a Giro, but it's a bit mushroom like, I want to replace it with a Kask.

Race helmet is a Bell, they make great helmets

I'd quite like a Kask Rex, but they're crazy money. I recently bought a Catlike, but it's definitely got the mushroomy thing going on.

I quite like the Giro Savant for a road helmet.

I have a Giro Savant now but it makes me feel a bit mushroom head like. I can get a hookup on a Kask, probably 100-150, through my friend who owns a bike shop.

Only reason ive been thinking POC is the saftey aspect. Just sucks you can try them like yo u can seats.

MTB helmet is IXS.
Road/general helmet is Mavic Syncro.
Aero helmet is Etto Scalpel (a Scandinavian brand).

edit: how about some bib recommendations next? I'm loving Craft Glow bibs right now. The pad is just awesome, it even has a little sub-pad for your little man.

I'd recommend a few, but to be honest, it's all down to your shape. Some are just plain shit, obviously, but others are supposed to be good but wont actually suit you because of your body shape.

edit: how about some bib recommendations next? I'm loving Craft Glow bibs right now. The pad is just awesome, it even has a little sub-pad for your little man.

I've been very happy with the bibs I got from TwinSix, but it looks like they're just made through Voler. I've thought about buying and trying some from Rapha, Assos, Hincapie or Castelli, but it's really to stomach t hose prices. And castelli's design is borderline obnoxious.

Like Psycho said though a lot of padding is about design. There's a lot of shit padding layouts out there, especially on the cheap end. A lot of bibs get design for a particular body type so it can be a dance.

I'd say Castelli is one of the worse brands for bibs. I like their shirts but the padding is just cheap and nasty. Which is bad for a premium brand.

That's good to know. I'll also throw out I'm not a fan of Primal bibs. They're overall pretty cheap feeling.

Compression fabric bibs are nice, but depending on your saddle they can feel too slick.

-SG

I picked up a Specialized Airnet on sale this year and I'm digging it so far. For mountain biking, I have a Giro Bishop.

I don't know if other brands do this (my Giro helmet doesn't) but I really like the strap thing on the Airnet that keeps the straps flat against my face rather than twisting as they come together. You can see what I'm talking about in this pic:
specialized-airnet-helmet-side_0.jpg

Mascot

I swap between a couple of Urge All Mountains in different colours but have a Specialized and a Met as well. The Urges are so bloody comfortable though. Love the unusual French design aesthetic, too.

urge_allm_full_610.jpg

HTupolev

I tried Castelli bibs recently.

$120

Started falling apart by the end of the second ride.

Shit chamois.

I'd rate them a -200/10

danowat

Banned
In terms of bib pads, I've got Assos, Castelli, Champsys with the expensive endurance pad, but I always seem to go back to my cheap DHB ones, they are just so comfortable.

teepo

lg and pearl izumi's high end bibs are fantastic and can often be found heavily discounted. the course 2.0 is currently my favorite kit and the pearl izumi pro bib fits like a glove and comes in matte black

i waa about to buy the castelli aero bibs last weekend but ultimately decided against it. its time i either try assos or rapha

In terms of bib pads, I've got Assos, Castelli, Champsys with the expensive endurance pad, but I always seem to go back to my cheap DHB ones, they are just so comfortable.

...and just as a counter to that, I'm wearing a DHB bib right now and I spent half of my turbo trainer session trying to stop my groin going numb because the padding is pressing in the wrong places.

Useless anecdotal animals. :D

Top Bottom