• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bicycle age

...and just as a counter to that, I'm wearing a DHB bib right now and I spent half of my turbo trainer session trying to stop my groin going numb because the padding is pressing in the wrong places.

Useless anecdotal animals. :D

There's you mistake right there: you should've worn the bib while on the turbo, not while posting on the internet.

Back to more Kickr goodness.

Just found out about this pretty cool feature that allows you to turn uploaded GPS files into TrainerRoad workouts on the Kickr--

• Create course on MapMyRide (save route)
  • Download the GPX file of said course
  • Create race on BestBikeSplit by uploading saved GPX file
  • Once created, click My Race Details
  • Export appropriate file - in this case, TrainerRoad
  • Drag and Drop file into TrainerRoad workout creator
Voila.

So I'm gonna try Mont Ventoux tomorrow... But this BestBikeSplit website has over 5000 courses/races across the world that you can export into TrainerRoad. Pretty damn awesome.

HTupolev

Tour day 3! (Days 1 and 2)

Went South along the Methow River, through pleasant foothills. Mostly flat ish. Very nice, besides the headwinds that were present almost all day.

ghSTV4d.jpg

Ten miles before reaching Pateros, and the Columbia River, I came across another touring cyclist. We were both heading to Pateros, so we each took 5 miles of pull before splitting up.

Here's Pateros, the bridge on the left side goes over the Methow River right where it dumps into the Columbia:

I8Rbnb1.jpg

Shortly after leaving Pateros, a cloud decided that it didn't like me. I used a garbage bag as a dry bag for my camping stuff. After that, weather was dry for the rest of the day.

For most of the day, I went South along the Columbia river.

8mFAiRv.jpg

J1aCl82.jpg

Eventually, a highway split off East toward the Leavenworth area.

Leavenworth WA was a logging town in the early 20th century, but for various reasons was seriously struggling to exist by the 60s. Rather than die off, they decided to turn the place into a Bavarian Village-themed tourist destination.

That's not the important part, though.

Why did I ride several hundred miles over the mountains and through the headwinds of the Columbia river gorge? Exercise? The views? Because cycling is awesome?

No. That would be, like, silly and stuff.

The important part is delicious. It's wide enough to hold with both hands. It's full enough to feel complete, but compressible enough to NOM NOM vigorously. Laterally stiff and vertically compliant. Of the sort where lettuce settles in funky sauce, and oozes out as you eat, yet still supplies a delightful iceberg crunch. Complete with balanced flavors of tomato, bacon, and pickles.

Heidelburger!

wvQl2Lh.jpg

yeeessssssssss

danowat

Banned
...and just as a counter to that, I'm wearing a DHB bib right now and I spent half of my turbo trainer session trying to stop my groin going numb because the padding is pressing in the wrong places.

Useless anecdotal animals. :D
Turbo? In summer? Are you mad!!!

I only use one in winter, when there is ice on the roads, I hate the damn things!

I would literally end up under a truck if I trained in the real world to the same intensity that I put in on the turbo. Often I've come close to passing out or throwing up.

Really wouldn't want to do that with cars around. Plus there's no way I'd be able to do 45minute long intervals without hitting a stop light somewhere.

danowat

Banned
I live right on a 25TT course so I've got at least an hours worth of uninterrupted riding!

I don't do much super hard stuff anyway, most of my improvements come from Z3 riding.

My 4-12 hour rides tend to be somewhere between zone three and zone four. More zone three on the flats, zone four (and five if required) on the hills.

Anything shorter than that I tend to be zone four min and everything I've got on the hills. :D

Just prepping for tomorrow's ride. Nephew and I will be heading back to do two trails we haven't seen for three years.

Really excited to see how we do on it vs back then. I imagine we've both come a long way.

ngower

Decided to alter my tour route from NYC to BOS, primarily due to logistics and cost, so now I'm doing Maine coast. Doing something like Bangor to Augusta, Augusta to Portland, Portland to Portsmouth NH, Portsmouth NH to central MA.

Breaks out to something like 75, 50, 60, 75 as far as daily mileage. I'm a little concerned with starting out with so much mileage, but I'm also squeezing this ride into the few days before I move across country. Just curious what some of you guys have done as far as daily totals for you first tour?

Depends on how much climbing really. But yeah, that should be quite manageable as long as it's not half vertical, half downhill or something.

I've done repeated 80-100 mile days with bikepacking gear on my mountain bike in very hilly terrain. Was pretty tough going, but manageable. You got any alternate (faster) routes you can take in case you get behind?

ngower

Depends on how much climbing really. But yeah, that should be quite manageable as long as it's not half vertical, half downhill or something.

I've done repeated 80-100 mile days with bikepacking gear on my mountain bike in very hilly terrain. Was pretty tough going, but manageable. You got any alternate (faster) routes you can take in case you get behind?

I technically could do it in 5 days, but that would just mean I'd have to drive down to TN from NH in one day by myself, which would suck.

I'm trying to figure out a way to get less mileage on day one, but it's really hard as Maine is the weirdest state. And I think the elevation sticks within the 1000 ft mark throughout the day. I think the steepest elevation gain is like 600 ft at one point. It's all close enough to the coast that it's relatively flat.

My issue is just that I've never even done a half century in a day. Gonna push myself to try and do 40 sometime int he coming days, but finding the time to train with my shitty work schedule is fucking rough. Plus, wedding season.

Another ride, another flat. This time I had all the tubes but I forgot I was riding my fixie, which has 15mm bolts securing the wheels. Does anyone know of a multitool with a 15mm wrench in it?

My issue is just that I've never even done a half century in a day. Gonna push myself to try and do 40 sometime int he coming days, but finding the time to train with my shitty work schedule is fucking rough. Plus, wedding season.

When all you've got to do in a day is cycle and eat, you'd be surprised how much you can get through. :)

Biggest problem for you will probably be soreness if you're not used to that sort of time in the saddle.

You'd be surprised how easy it is to do 50 in a single day.

I've jumped from 60-70m to 100+ without much issue. A lot of it comes down to just eating and drinking. As long as you keep your body fueled you can go for a long time. Just make sure you get off the bike every few hours to stretch your legs and back out. If you're not used to that position for extended periods your back could feel tight after 3-4 hours.

Speed is the enemy of endurance. In other words just stay in a comfortable zone of effort, hydrate, eat and you can go pretty much go forever. It's what humans are built to do.

ngower

When all you've got to do in a day is cycle and eat, you'd be surprised how much you can get through. :)

Biggest problem for you will probably be soreness if you're not used to that sort of time in the saddle.

You'd be surprised how easy it is to do 50 in a single day.

I've jumped from 60-70m to 100+ without much issue. A lot of it comes down to just eating and drinking. As long as you keep your body fueled you can go for a long time. Just make sure you get off the bike every few hours to stretch your legs and back out. If you're not used to that position for extended periods your back could feel tight after 3-4 hours.

Yeah, my plan is to aim for 6 hours of riding time and maybe like 9 hours of being out on the road. Get on my bike by like 7a, get some morning hours in, break for lunch for like 90 minutes, get back out there in the afternoon and try not to die in the August heat. Seems doable but I'm just nervous about knees swelling or things of that sort from not having enough riding time in me.

Yeah, my plan is to aim for 6 hours of riding time and maybe like 9 hours of being out on the road. Get on my bike by like 7a, get some morning hours in, break for lunch for like 90 minutes, get back out there in the afternoon and try not to die in the August heat. Seems doable but I'm just nervous about knees swelling or things of that sort from not having enough riding time in me.

if you can do 2 hours without any discomfort you should be good to go. You'll know within 30-45 minutes if there is going to be any problems.

As jakonovski said, just keep it easy. When I ride solo or with a group we'll hammer at it (18-25mph), but when we're planning to do a long day it's more in the 16-20mph zone

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
Tour day 3! (Days 1 and 2)

Went South along the Methow River, through pleasant foothills. Mostly flat ish. Very nice, besides the headwinds that were present almost all day.

yeeessssssssss

Very nice. I love cycling the Methow Valley near Winthrop, though Mazama. Apart from the headwind, which seems to be constant even when you do a loop - but there are some fantastic rolling cinder trails in that area that a decent cyclox or low end MTB can easily handle.

Or if you're me, a more realistic 10mph. :)

Unrelated, I've finally ordered the first of the two bikes I intend to replace "Old Faithful". o/

https://www.canyon.com/en-gb/mtb/exceed/exceed-cf-slx-9-9-sl.html

Feel a little sick, but glad to have finally pressed the button.
Damn skippy. :)

Man all this road talk makes me want to get out. I'm back home now and once I get a normal sleep schedule back - I was up at 2am today - I'll be riding again.

Should do a Washington state tour with you guys next summer or something.

Luckily the prices on the site haven't increased for us yet. Only a matter of time before Euro sourced bike prices go through the roof though.

trebbble

Or if you're me, a more realistic 10mph. :)

Unrelated, I've finally ordered the first of the two bikes I intend to replace "Old Faithful". \o/

https://www.canyon.com/en-gb/mtb/exceed/exceed-cf-slx-9-9-sl.html

Feel a little sick, but glad to have finally pressed the button.

Very nice! That's a sweet bike. I love how slack true XC bikes are getting. When do you take delivery?

Canyon is supposed to be launching over here next year, so it'll be cool to see some of them in person.

And I'm not sure if it's a case of 'great minds think alike' or 'fools seldom differ', but I pulled the trigger on my new ride today too :)

HTupolev

28-38 chain rings - mtb really is a different world.
The cassette also goes to 40, which makes a huge difference. My Stumpjumper has a 24T granny ring, but the 7 speed cassette is a pretty classic setup AKA 28T big cog.

(I get a bit of a low gearing boost from having itsy-bitsy 26er wheels.)

38-11 is actually a decently high top gear, in the grand scheme of things. A lot of classic road bikes from the freewheel days top out at 52-14.

Teggy

Danger Hangage from yesterday's 30-miler. The range was live and a helicopter was patrolling overhead. Exciting!

My urgency is evident in the poor focus.

That is cool that the signs are also in welsh(?) Are there people there that don't speak English?

Just prepping for tomorrow's ride. Nephew and I will be heading back to do two trails we haven't seen for three years.

Really excited to see how we do on it vs back then. I imagine we've both come a long way.

That was interesting. Both rides that I picked were far more technical than I could have imagined. I stacked it on one part of a rocky descent (and cracked my carbon handlebars) but managed to ride everything aside from a particularly slippy climb (I have my slippy XC tyres on at the mo, zero grip).

Nephew improved across the board, aside from one descent. One climb he did in 16 minutes... previously it took him 34 mins (mostly walking I imagine).

Hard day of cycling, but I'm pleased overall at how far we've come. I even got a KOM (not many people have the segment, but still, I'll take it) and a number of "placed" segments on Strava.

Oh, and most importantly... saw some piggies.

After almost 2 months, our local trail opened up again. The flood from May eroded so much, so we will have to rebuild some parts, overall only one section looks to be lost completely.

Had a blast, but man, my fitness took a hit.

20160710_180207_HDR_zps7txbhw2h.jpg

Also I finally got to try out my new bike rack, and I like it much more than the roof rack I had before.

20160710_185036_HDR_zpspkasuv73.jpg

JPKellams

Bike is done and at home with its friends. I can't recommend Minoura room stands enough.

The Zipp NSWs are insane wheels. They brake better in the rain than my Fulcrum tubulars do in the wet. Only issue so far is a slightly loosened crank bolt after my shakedown ride, but that is why you do shakedown rides. :)

13653368_10153705065841444_6278708358265093473_o.jpg

13640938_10153704870621444_2647473818966885695_o.jpg

JPKellams

Whoah! Your Cube AMS 125 looks brand new. Not bad for a circa seven-year-old bike - do you use it much?

Also, Jimmy Farthings normally leave me cold but that beast of yours in stealth black is one sexy mofo.

It doesn't get as much use as it should. I started out riding mountain, then track, then caught the road bug. The Felt is also a 2009 frame (purchased in 2010), but I tend to take really good care of my bikes. Clean and wiped after every ride.

I actually need to take the Cube in to get the suspension seals replaced and the brakes bled... But Formula doesn't have a Japanese distributor anymore, so all the LBS are afraid to touch the thing. :-/

Also, what is a Jimmy Farthings? :)

------------------

Also, where is the best place to order a Scicon bag from? I want to start taking one of the bikes with me on business trips.

The Specialized Tarmac is the only bike I'll allow to be all black. It just always looks that damn good.

------------------

Took off work today to go ride 120 miles (193km) with two friends. Weather looks to be in our favor after a week of 80+ and 40% humidity.

Mascot

Also, what is a Jimmy Farthings? :)

It's a term of endearment for racing bikes, a combo of Jimmy Savile (the patron saint of roadies) and the Penny Farthing bicycle.

The Specialized Tarmac is the only bike I'll allow to be all black. It just always looks that damn good.

Black bikes are the bestest of bikes. So mean. So timeless. So classy.

Weather looks to be in our favor after a week of 80+ and 40% humidity.

I'm getting seriously fucked off with this summer we're having in the UK. Wet and windy seems to be the theme this year, just like last year. The last half-decent summer was three years ago. I've lived in South Africa and Australia and there's a lot to be said for nice predictable weather.

I'm getting seriously fucked off with this summer we're having in the UK. Wet and windy seems to be the theme this year, just like last year. The last half-decent summer was three years ago. I've lived in South Africa and Australia and there's a lot to be said for nice predictable weather.

Ha, yeah... hit the "flat" on a top of the hill yesterday and must have been putting out 300 watts just to move forwards.

danowat

Banned

Was I?, I'm sure I remember getting a lot of races cancelled in 2013 due to rain, this was me racing for my old team in 2013, before the race got cancelled.

460879_10151026007516111_345581908_o_zps8fe78868.jpg

Top Bottom