• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bicycle age

I've only done it a few times, but even riding in a small group setup scares the shit out of me. You really need to trust that the people around you aren't idiots... and in my experience, everyone is an idiot.

-SG

I've only done it a few times, but even riding in a small group setup scares the shit out of me. You really need to trust that the people around you aren't idiots... and in my experience, everyone is an idiot.

This is probably reason biggest reason why I'm so reluctant to participate in local group rides. Firstly, I'm too afraid of my own lack of skill regarding riding in a group, but once I factor in other people, it's enough to deter me completely. I know I'm likely missing out on a lot of good experiences, but for now I'm ok with my solo escape rides.

I wonder what it's like riding in one of those Tour de France peletons where the only thing you can do is brake a little, and even then you might wind up with someone rear-ending you. Looks pretty crazy.

You get good at keeping cadence with the group and not hard tapping the brakes.

danowat

Banned

I've done Cat 4 road races, and yeah, everyone is an idiot.

I don't mind riding in a group of people I know well, you need to be able to preempt situations, I prefer to ride on my own though........

Mascot

Unrelated, I've finally ordered the first of the two bikes I intend to replace "Old Faithful". \o/

https://www.canyon.com/en-gb/mtb/exceed/exceed-cf-slx-9-9-sl.html

Feel a little sick, but glad to have finally pressed the button.

Holy shit, I missed this from a few days ago. That is one expensive hardtail, PT. I'd be too scared to ride it! What made you go for this one? Last I knew you were looking at Canyon and YT full-sussers for around half of this price. The hardtail is for self-flagellation bikepacking expeditions, yes? Still getting a FS for fun?

And what's wrong with your old bike(s)?

The full sussers I'm looking at are about the same price as that. I'm holding off on buying one as I want to see if I can try and demo a couple of 29er full suss bikes (I've seen a lot of people say they're better than 650b for the sort of stuff I ride).

My old bike badly needs a better fork to handle what I'm throwing at it lately, but because it's not a tapered headtube (and I can't use an external headset because it would make the head angle too slack), there's virtually nothing I can do about it (short of spending another £850 and importing one from the US). I've been watching ebay like a hawk for a Rockshox SID or a Fox 32 of appropriate spec, but no dice. To be honest though, upgrading it any further would be pointless... despite what Cotic have to say on the matter, 26 is dead.

..and yeah, to be honest I'm going to be terrified to ride it. But it'll realistically just be for ultra endurance stuff and races. Until I get the full suss I'll be using old faithful for gnarly trail duty.

The full sussers I'm looking at are about the same price as that. I'm holding off on buying one as I want to see if I can try and demo a couple of 29er full suss bikes (I've seen a lot of people say they're better than 650b for the sort of stuff I ride).

My old bike badly needs a better fork to handle what I'm throwing at it lately, but because it's not a tapered headtube (and I can't use an external headset because it would make the head angle too slack), there's virtually nothing I can do about it (short of spending another £850 and importing one from the US). I've been watching ebay like a hawk for a Rockshox SID or a Fox 32 of appropriate spec, but no dice. To be honest though, upgrading it any further would be pointless... despite what Cotic have to say on the matter, 26 is dead.

..and yeah, to be honest I'm going to be terrified to ride it. But it'll realistically just be for ultra endurance stuff and races. Until I get the full suss I'll be using old faithful for gnarly trail duty.

https://www.bike24.com/1.php?conten...1&pgc[14697]=14700&pgc[5416]=5417&pgc[65]=224

Cheers, but yeah... those are crazy money to be spending on a 10 year old bike.

Edit - Odd that they're all QR9 too. Some of the ones I've been looking at are QR15.

Saw this posted on Reddit...there's a lot goign on in this picture that I can't fully comprehend

g4e2DgJ.jpg

I must admit I'm a bit intrigued as I can't see anything weird either. Another one of those "once you see it you will pedal squares" things?

It's just the combination of everything: Cervelo R3 carbon frame, chinese carbon wheels, the huge chunk of spacers in the stack, and rounded out with a mini-floor pump strapped to the frame.

Maybe I'm being too harshly judgemental, but it just screams Fred.

Ehh, it's not the prettiest setup, but it still works. I'd personally pick a prettier saddle bag, and a decent black pump and a higher end set of lights.

Rims are ugly, but I bet they're still quick. :)

Speaking of rims:

Would anyone here buy and trust chinese carbon rims? I get you can save cash and gains some serious WATTTTTS, but I'd be seriously uneasy bombing hills with an unknown brand with no reputation.

trebbble

Speaking of rims:

Would anyone here buy and trust chinese carbon rims? I get you can save cash and gains some serious WATTTTTS, but I'd be seriously uneasy bombing hills with an unknown brand with no reputation.

I just bit the bullet on my first set of carbon rims and while I don't have a set of Lightbike rims, most everything I read about them seemed to suggest that the company was fairly easy to deal with and made a decent quality product. Most complaints that I saw were from a few years back.

I ended up ordering a set of NOBL rims, as they're hand built in Canada and I was able to get a DT Swiss build for a decent price. From what I understand, NOBL's rims are custom layups that are crafted by Lightbike exclusively for them. They also seem to have good reviews over the past 2 years or so, have been great at answering my questions along the way, and were only ~150 more than ordering direct from Lightbike.

It was actually a great little trail too. Sure, on the challenging side for a blue... but they've turned it into a green. All they needed to do was smooth out some of the rockier bits and improve the drainage a little.

My Manitou fork came. Dropped bike off at LBS to install. 1 week turnaround time sucks but what can you do. I can do everything but install a new star nut so I figured I'd just have them do the whole thing.

Tempted to get this 2x10 SLX set. Only $300 CAD!

https://www.merlincycles.com/shimano-slx-2-x-10-transmission-groupset-75067.html

One week?! That is crazy my local shops will all do it in a day or so. The star nut is easy, the only tricky part is cutting the steerer.

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
It's just the combination of everything: Cervelo R3 carbon frame, chinese carbon wheels, the huge chunk of spacers in the stack, and rounded out with a mini-floor pump strapped to the frame.

Maybe I'm being too harshly judgemental, but it just screams Fred.

What does "Fred" mean? Please don't let it be derisive Roadbiker terminology for a wannabe. I already have enough issues with road bikes.

Saw this posted on Reddit...there's a lot goign on in this picture that I can't fully comprehend

g4e2DgJ.jpg

Well, at first blush: There's the stem, there's the seat angle, and there's the terrible (I had the same one on my touring bike so I know) pump.

My commuter doesn't look that great but then it's my commuter so I don't give a shit as long it can get me to and from and I always have all I need to change a flat on the bike.

Teggy

Spectating the Tour must be kind of odd. Get yourself out to some remote part of the countryside and the entire field passes you in the space of about 2 minutes.

robox

Speaking of rims:

i got into a small argument with my brother about it. he would do it, i wouldn't.

my argument against unbranded wheels is basically being a brand whore. a wheel is an integral part of the bike, and besides frame the part i would fear failure the most. and having a brand means building up that brand and having a reputation, so of course they would provide more support for their product. many china carbon makers seem like fly by night operations. they'll sell you something on the cheap but may not be there in a few months if anything goes wrong. or even if they are around, they're still just an online ghost located overseas so it's harder to hold them accountable to begin with.

teepo

i'm already set on dropping at least a grand on carbon wheels next year and will only be buying from reputable companies. no way i'm risking that shit

danowat

Banned
Speaking of rims:

The biggest problem is, you have no idea what you are getting, you could be getting a pukker set of unbranded high end wheels out the side door of a Taiwanese factory, or you could be getting a set of wheels made using old moulds brought from a factory and made up using lower quality carbon, packed out with newspaper.

A lot of rebranded wheels and frames (Ribble, Planet X etc) are unbranded far eastern components, but they know where they are coming from, and are happy with the QC of said factory.

That said, you still take a chance, last year a racing friend of mine died when his forks failed on a branded frame, so I guess you take your chances whatever.

http://www.eadt.co.uk/news/faulty_c...f_top_sudbury_cyclist_inquest_hears_1_4559423

RIP Jon :-(

Mascot

That said, you still take a chance, last year a racing friend of mine died when his forks failed on a branded frame, so I guess you take your chances whatever.

http://www.eadt.co.uk/news/faulty_c...f_top_sudbury_cyclist_inquest_hears_1_4559423

Jesus Christ, that's awful. 20mph. Carbon/metal bonding on bikes has always been a concern of mine after studying it at Uni as part of a module. You should repost this item in the 'I don't need to wear a helmet because daffodils and windmills' thread.

There's a quarter-mile 40mph downhill section I do whenever I ride my local trails and every single time I go down it I think how fucked I'd be if the front wheel collapsed or the rear brake failed (it terminates in a T-junction). Scary stuff.

danowat

Banned
Jesus Christ, that's awful. 20mph. Carbon/metal bonding on bikes has always been a concern of mine after studying it at Uni as part of a module. You should repost this item in the 'I don't need to wear a helmet because daffodils and windmills' thread.

There's a quarter-mile 40mph downhill section I do whenever I ride my local trails and every single time I go down it I think how fucked I'd be if the front wheel collapsed or the rear brake failed (it terminates in a T-junction). Scary stuff.

It is awful, I mean it's an awful thing to happen to anyone, but he was a genuinely lovely bloke.

It's made me more aware of things, the other day I had a huge stone flick up and hit the down tube on my carbon frame with a big thwack, I had to stop, get off and make sure that it hadn't caused any damage, because it doesn't take much of an impact to delaminate carbon.

Can cause catastrophic circumstances if something like that fails at any kind of speed, be safe people.

What does "Fred" mean? Please don't let it be derisive Roadbiker terminology for a wannabe. I already have enough issues with road bikes.

Heh, yeah. I generally hate using the term but it's the first thing that came to mind when I saw this.

The biggest problem is, you have no idea what you are getting, you could be getting a pukker set of unbranded high end wheels out the side door of a Taiwanese factory, or you could be getting a set of wheels made using old moulds brought from a factory and made up using lower quality carbon, packed out with newspaper.

A lot of rebranded wheels and frames (Ribble, Planet X etc) are unbranded far eastern components, but they know where they are coming from, and are happy with the QC of said factory.

That's exactly the reason why I'd not buy carbon off ebay like so many are doing. No way of knowing the QC of what's coming out of those sales.

That story also just made me even more hesitant to invest in a carbon fork for my steel.

Anyone have tips for long distance bike transport? We have a solid trunk rack from Thule and I plan to cable the bikes together, but I've never driven more than an hour with it and I have an 8-10 hour trip planned.

danowat

Banned
Anyone have tips for long distance bike transport? We have a solid trunk rack from Thule and I plan to cable the bikes together, but I've never driven more than an hour with it and I have an 8-10 hour trip planned.

Put them in the car?, I mean I understand it depends on what car you have, and whether you have 4 people in the car, but that is my preferred method of transport.

We've been to France and Belgium with the bikes and even in a reasonable sized hatchback there is enough space for two bikes in the back with luggage and two people, also saves the hassle of someone having to stay with the car and bikes if you need to fill up or stop for a bite to eat / whatever.

Otherwise, depends on your rack, my goto if I am taking more people or more bikes is a towbar mounted Thule rack, it's rock solid, and I've driven to Derby with it (6hr round trip)

I'd put them in the car, but the back seats are going to be in use. I thought about going for the tow rack instead, but it'd be a costly investment for a single purpose trip.

The ONLY thing I thought about doing, and it might be a dumb one, is to take the wheels off and put them into the car. This would take some weight off overall, but it'd also be a pretty dumb thing to do.

danowat

Banned
Favourite climbs, what are yours?

Mine are......

Horseshoe Pass - Not the steepest, but I love it.

https://www.strava.com/activities/85758334

Bwlch-y-groes - Holy shit, it was hard!, I am way too big to be a climber! (I am like 900 on the leaderboard), I should really stick to time trials!

https://www.strava.com/activities/85758329

Hirnant pass - Not quite as steep as the Bwlch, but it's a cracking climb, road surface is better, and the descent is awesome.

https://www.strava.com/activities/86638280

I'd put them in the car, but the back seats are going to be in use. I thought about going for the tow rack instead, but it'd be a costly investment for a single purpose trip.

The ONLY thing I thought about doing, and it might be a dumb one, is to take the wheels off and put them into the car. This would take some weight off overall, but it'd also be a pretty dumb thing to do.

I've done hundreds of miles journeys with my bikes on the car (both on the roof, and on a tow bar rack). It's really no issue as long as you have it all set up properly.

Hirnant pass - Not quite as steep as the Bwlch, but it's a cracking climb, road surface is better, and the descent is awesome.

https://www.strava.com/activities/86638280

Try that one on a mountain bike covered in bikepacking gear whilst being roasted by stupidly hot temperatures.

I still managed to catch, pass and gap a roadie though. ;)

Top Bottom