• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bicycle age

I like climbs sometimes... mostly when they come to an end. I'm a reasonable climber though.

However, don't waste my climbing with a shitty road descent. I wont be happy.

danowat

Banned
i so badly want to ride this

wish we had climbs like that in virginia, at least relatively close to the dc metro area

It's pretty mad, not as steep as the ones in the alps/pyrenees etc.

Try that one on a mountain bike covered in bikepacking gear whilst being roasted by stupidly hot temperatures.

I still managed to catch, pass and gap a roadie though. ;)

Nah, bad enough on a road bike, you probably passed me!

I love/hate climbs. I hate them because they suck, but love them because they kick my ass

Yup, same here, I live in a very flat area, so love to climb when I can, I am a crap climber, but I love the challenge.

The less said about the time I tried to tackle Chimney Bank in Yorkshire the better!

RSTEIN

Comics, serious business!
One week?! That is crazy my local shops will all do it in a day or so. The star nut is easy, the only tricky part is cutting the steerer.

Well it's summer here & it's the only bike shop in the area. He was actually pleased to report it would only be a week, lol.

I can cut the steerer tube I just don't have the tool that pushes the star nut down. I've seen people on Youtube jam it down with a screwdriver and a hammer but I didn't want to install it an angle or something.

teepo

It's pretty mad, not as steep as the ones in the alps/pyrenees etc.

when i lived in the alps -- annecy specifically -- i couldn't climb worth shit and was stuck using a heavy hybrid bike :(

l'alpe d'huez wasn't too far from me but i didn't dare try

HTupolev

when i lived in the alps -- annecy specifically -- i couldn't climb worth shit and was stuck using a heavy hybrid bike :(

l'alpe d'huez wasn't too far from me but i didn't dare try
Hey, some heavy hybrids are equipped with silly low gears that, if you're not worried about time, could potentially make it significantly easier than on most road racing bikes.

Hey, some heavy hybrids are equipped with silly low gears that, if you're not worried about time, could potentially make it significantly easier than on most road racing bikes.

Ehhh... I see the argument. But having experienced both, I'd rather 170bpm for ten minutes than 160bpm for twenty. I always try to get hills out of the way as fast as possible, even on very long endurance rides.

Nah, bad enough on a road bike, you probably passed me!

Your time was about half mine, which sounds about right to be honest.

trebbble

Anyone have tips for long distance bike transport? We have a solid trunk rack from Thule and I plan to cable the bikes together, but I've never driven more than an hour with it and I have an 8-10 hour trip planned.

I used to work at a store that only sold racks, and I would never recommend a long distance journey like that with a trunk mount.

Put them inside the car if you can, or perhaps consider renting a purpose built roof rack.

I often put mine in the back of Zipcars when I rent. I'd never put my bike on a trunk rack... you wouldn't believe how many we saw fail, across all brands from high to low end.

HTupolev

Ehhh... I see the argument. But having experienced both, I'd rather 170bpm for ten minutes than 160bpm for twenty. I always try to get hills out of the way as fast as possible, even on very long endurance rides.
I was thinking from the standpoint of being able to do the climb at all. Alpe d'Huez is a fairly steep 3600' climb, and if you're at risk of bottoming out the gearing, you may be more likely to be able to finish it on a low-geared hybrid than a fancy-schmancy road bike with aggressive race gearing.

I know what you roadies are like, you'd just stand for all of it (I've never really got how people can do that. My quads catch fire after a couple of hundred meters).

I used to work at a store that only sold racks, and I would never recommend a long distance journey like that with a trunk mount.

Put them inside the car if you can, or perhaps consider renting a purpose built roof rack.

I often put mine in the back of Zipcars when I rent. I'd never put my bike on a trunk rack... you wouldn't believe how many we saw fail, across all brands from high to low end.

I'll see what we can do. We're going to have our dogs with us so that's why it'll be tight. Maybe we can stack the frames in the back (crosstrek) with the wheels going somewhere else.

Danielsan

This morning was my first time back in the saddle since crashing into a tree face first last year. Went to a nice technical MTB trail 10 kilometers from my home. Last year really did a number on me, so I found myself to be extremely (overly) cautious and in general too afraid to crash out. Especially on some of the slightly longer/steeper descents I did a ton of unnecessary breaking ( in turn probably making a crash more likely than less). Worst thing is, these descents were peanuts compared to what I used to do last year without much hesitation.
Recorded an absolute stinker of a time on Strava. But hey it's a start! I really need to start regaining my confidence, as well as just improve my skill. Looking forward to returning to the track soon!

Confidence is a bitch in mountain biking. So much of descending is getting off the brakes where it's safe and picking braking zones to prepare for the more technical sections. At the start of the year (after not doing anything technical in the winter) I couldn't descend for shit. I had to physically force myself to do harder and harder trails and not get off so that I could get my confidence back. Thing is, as you said... braking is terrible news as far as control goes, as is being overly tense and not letting the bike move around under you properly.

I've had a few crashes in that period (including chipping my elbow and cracking my handlebars), but thankfully I'm largely still fairly confident on the really rough stuff. Have improved massively on loose rocky stuff too (which I would refuse to ride in the past).

Still shit on mud though. /o\

danowat

Banned
Confidence is a funny thing, couple of years ago I came down hard on a wet roundabout on a diesel spill, smashed my hip up pretty back, I still have plenty of confidence issues with riding in the wet, and try to avoid roundabouts in the wet completely if I can.

For some reason my confidence on the road is fine. I'll bomb hills, take hard corners and weave in traffic. Put me on a moderate mountain bike trail and all I can think about is crashing. Confidence sure is a weird beast.

Mascot

For some reason my confidence on the road is fine. I'll bomb hills, take hard corners and weave in traffic. Put me on a moderate mountain bike trail and all I can think about is crashing. Confidence sure is a weird beast.

I'm the opposite. The short, narrow, hilly road sections I have to navigate on the way to the woods fill me with dread. So many impatient assholes, so many boy racers, so many coffin-dodgers on their way to the golf club, and so many mouth-breathing numbskulls texting while driving.

Let me loose in the woods on all sorts of terrain and I'm as free as a bird.

Mascot

I have this nagging thing in my head going "You're 32, breaking a bone right now would not be the best of ideas".

I know that feeling. When I was 32 I managed to dislocate my shoulder while simultaneously breaking my collarbone up a mountain in Alpe d'Huez (or was it Les Deux Alpes? I forget). Took a couple of years to get full strength back in the shoulder and a further couple of years to get full confidence back. My physiotherapist had a rack to die for though so it wasn't all bad.

RSTEIN

Same here. I love taking my mountain bike on city streets here in Toronto. It's such a rush. I've never done cocaine but I imagine that's what it feels like. So laser focused and hyper aware. One wrong move and you're dead.

ITT are SOOO boring to watch (sorry danowat). I much prefer TTT as there's much more coordination and tactics going on. I know ITT is pure competition, but from a spectator perspective it's just zzzz.

danowat

Banned
ITT are SOOO boring to watch (sorry danowat). I much prefer TTT as there's much more coordination and tactics going on. I know ITT is pure competition, but from a spectator perspective it's just zzzz.

Nah, ITT is boring as heck to watch, I feel sorry for my wife who supports me during a 12hr TT.

It's not a spectator sport at all really, it doesn't attract hardly any spectators, even the national championships.

That said, the UCI world tour last year was well supporter, but that was a closed road TT, so that makes a difference.

trebbble

Same here. I love taking my mountain bike on city streets here in Toronto. It's such a rush. I've never done cocaine but I imagine that's what it feels like. So laser focused and hyper aware. One wrong move and you're dead.

Another Toronto mountain biker? We should hit up the Don sometime :)

RSTEIN

Another Toronto mountain biker? We should hit up the Don sometime :)

Unfort we just moved outside of the city to Durham county. We lived in Leslieville so it was a quick jump down to the waterfront trail and up the Don. That was my primary route for the last few years!

HTupolev

lol spoke gauge

lol tire

jfr1QR4.jpg

Hopefully this actually rolls better than the original wheelset, with its dual tires and shot hubs.
I still have the other wheelset loaded with the other tires, and I'll toss them back on if I go on a ride where I need to dig through muckier stuff.

If I like having wide slicks around, I might try upgrading to something like these.

I might have to switch out the QR skewers, and use the originals with both wheelsets. The levers on silver external-cam skewers never seem to look right.

Teggy

First ever flat. Luckily, with my rule-breaking saddle bag I was fully prepared and finished my ride as planned. Think I will throw a chain keeper and a pair of rubber gloves in there, though.

HTupolev

Gloves?

Ehhhh

With that kind of chain art, you should really work out a technique for positioning your chain in a smooth movement with a tool from your bag (i.e. one of the things on your multi-tool). All of it is mostly pointless and accomplishes nothing (that wouldn't be dealt with anyway next time you clean the bike) compared with just letting your chain flop around all over the place, but you'll impress the hell out of everyone around you.

You'll still get some black stuff on your hands due to the tires and brake pad residue, but who cares? That's why you have black handlebar tape.

Teggy

Gloves?

Ehhhh

With that kind of chain art, you should really work out a technique for positioning your chain in a smooth movement with a tool from your bag (i.e. one of the things on your multi-tool). All of it is mostly pointless and accomplishes little (that wouldn't be dealt with anyway next time you clean the bike) compared with just letting your chain flop around all over the place, but you'll impress the hell out of everyone around you.

You'll still get some black stuff on your hands due to the tires and brake pad residue, but who cares? That's why you have black handlebar tape.

Well what happened was I got the tire all pumped up and started putting it back on and that's when my lack of experience taking off the rear wheel caught up with me. You can see in the picture how the rear deraileur is swung up forward, and that caused me a lot of problems. Once I finally figured out what was going on my hands were covered in grease. Luckily, the guy whose yard I had parked myself in let me come in and wash my hands.

I've seen the gloves recommended as a nice thing to have. They're cheap and take up very little room. But I should also just practice taking/replacing my rear wheel.

danowat

Banned
I always carry a few pairs of gloves, just makes sense not to ruin my cycling gloves with crud, also means I don't have to spend the day at work trying to get the ingrained dirt off my hands.

Furyous

BIcycle Age can you lend me your wisdom? What is the verdict on the Sondors ebike? A $500 ebike sounds like a great investment but I'm unsure about this and need assistance on this possible purchase.

danowat

Banned
BIcycle Age can you lend me your wisdom? What is the verdict on the Sondors ebike? A $500 ebike sounds like a great investment but I'm unsure about this and need assistance on this possible purchase.
$500 for a normal bike is getting on for bottom end, for an ebike they must have cut corners somewhere, is there a full detailed tech spec?

I'd be worried I'd be just getting a BSO with a motor.

Mascot

First ever flat. Luckily, with my rule-breaking saddle bag I was fully prepared and finished my ride as planned. Think I will throw a chain keeper and a pair of rubber gloves in there, though.

I've got just the thing for you:

g-rapha-marigolds.png

You precious Roadies and your manicures...

:p

I'm lucky if I don't have to get hosed down in the garden after a typical ride like a rioter facing off to a water cannon.

HTupolev

Reviewers seem to indicate it's better than expected given that it's both an e-bike and a mere $500, i.e. it's very basic but appears to basically do what it's supposed to do.

On the other hand, there's apparently only one frame size (!?), and unless you like the idea of riding an extremely heavy single-speed fatbike free of assist, you'll have to keep rides fairly short. And there's a waiting list, effectively zero warranty, and they don't appear to list parts.

The box on the main triangle seems like a nice low-cost solution with easy storage benefits, although one reviewer complained that their leg was bumping into the latch as they pedaled.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

12 reasons 1x Drivetrains Suck

Ahem...

The 1x 11 evangelist.

Is it a pre-requisite of switching to 1x 11 that you need to become an evangelical advocate that 1x 11 cures all ills of mountain biking’s sinful past and that the doubters and naysayers shall be cast to the mountain bike dustbin of Kirk magnesium frames, Tioga Disc Drive wheels and Bula clothing? If you are happy with your choices then I am happy for you. Just don’t take it quite so personally when you discover that it isn’t for everyone. You don’t need to try and convert them to the new faith.

danowat

Banned
Trying to get back into some sort of shape to start racing again, only managed 12 hours this week and I'm knackered :-/

My rate of recovery is getting shitter as I get older....

Top Bottom