• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bicycle age

thomaser

Participated in my first mtb race this year today. 46 kilometers, pretty hard with lots of short, steep hills and narrow descents. Came in 12 minutes faster than last year, which I'm really satisfied with considering that my legs sucked during the first 20 kilometers, which were mostly uphill, and that the chain jumped off twice. I thought I was dead last, but I got in at 111th place, with 50 people behind me (and 20 people didn't finish). Fun, even if I hate not being able to keep pace with others on flat terrain. Only place I pass people is on long uphills, except that first long one.

Most people would gladly swap their pace on the flats for climbing pace. Unless you're absolutely wrecking yourself on the climbs and then having to recover on the flats.

All the same, nicely done. :)

How did you lose your chain? Poorly adjusted?

HTupolev

Just broke a bunch of PR's that I'd set on proper road bikes, on the Stumpjumper. Yay enormous slicks lololol (or yay really aggressive paceline and lots of suffering, whatever).

#13: There aren't any cutting-edge options that could be put on a road bike without giving the cyclist a burning desire to hurl the bike into a ditch. Then again, front derailleurs seem to work just fine on road bikes, so there may be no need.

thomaser

Most people would gladly swap their pace on the flats for climbing pace. Unless you're absolutely wrecking yourself on the climbs and then having to recover on the flats.

No, I'm just a natural climber. Low weight, long limbs. But I don't have the strength or stamina to produce high power for very long on flats. I hate training for it, too. Only thing I ever push myself hard on, and get good at, is climbing.

How did you lose your chain? Poorly adjusted?

I had service on the bike a couple of weeks ago. They said the chain was too long, so they shortened it. Felt great to begin with, but front shifting has suddenly become iffy - it can be hard to move the chain down to a smaller ring. And sometimes when I shift to the smallest ring, the chain falls off and lodges behind the pedals. Maybe the wire is too tight? Or the inner limit has become off for some reason? I don't know what I'm talking about.

Yeah, that sounds like the limit screw is set wrong. I'd expect a bit more tension on the shifts if they shortened the chain, but it's possible the tension of the cable is off too.

danowat

Banned
I've given up trying to argue with people about it.

An old pickup truck sat behind me about a week ago for about 2 miles with his hand on the horn just trying to get me off the road, I ignore him.

Cyclists are bad, there all ride on the pavement causing a menace to pedestrians & they all clog up the roads for car drivers.

Mascot

Went out at 7:30am this morning (on a SUNDAY, ffs) to get the ride done and dusted by 10:30am and free up some time for long overdue jobs around the house. Nope. Ended up spending a lot of time clearing trees that were blocking one of my favourite routes and got home after midday. Mind you, pushing semi-rotten trees over with your bare hands and hauling them away makes you feel like a fucking BOSS.

My gf is riding across country and some dude in a pickup pulled over just to yell "FAGGOT" at her.

boils my blood

This happened monday during our ride. A bunch of 18-20 year old guys who looked like generic white trash yelled that to us. My friend just responded by calling them fat slobs.

I've given up trying to argue with people about it.

An old pickup truck sat behind me about a week ago for about 2 miles with his hand on the horn just trying to get me off the road, I ignore him.

Cyclists are bad, there all ride on the pavement causing a menace to pedestrians & they all clog up the roads for car drivers.

I live in an area that gets tourist heavy in the summer. On certain roads I will straight up ride in the middle of the lane not give a damn because it's the safest option for me. It's a 25mph road with cars barely getting over 20mph because of the amount of people so you're damn right I'm taking that entire lane

Today I was working on my everyday bike (all steel) and I looked over at my first newer/modern bike (aluminum + carbon fork) and had no desire to want to ride it. Is that normal? I don't know why, but those kinds of one-dimensional "jimmy" bikes just do nothing for me now. I've basically turned it into my trainer bike.

HTupolev

Both are black with accents (lettering or other).
Is the new one matte black and the old one gloss black, or are they both gloss black?

(Or, for actual things to look for to figure out why you might prefer a bike: Are they fit comparably, i.e. saddle-to-where-you-hold-the-bars drop and reach, saddle position relative to the cranks? How do the handlebar widths and tube diameters compare, and how do the shapes of the brake levers compare? Saddle differences? Tire differences? What kind of shifting interfaces are used on the two bikes (i.e. brifters, downtube friction, etc)? How do their front-end geometries compare, especially trail? Do you prefer how the steel bike looks? Is the bottom bracket region on the steel bike somewhat flexy?)

Teggy

It turns out that my flat was caused by something puncturing and tearing a hole in the side of my tire. Wish I knew what. So, bike less than 3 mos old, already have a new tire. I love road biking!

HTupolev

It turns out that my flat was caused by something puncturing and tearing a hole in the side of my tire. Wish I knew what. So, bike less than 3 mos old, already have a new tire. I love road biking!
That sucks. But, stock tires are frequently kind of crap, and are always not chosen. Great excuse to upgrade/modify/whatever!

I lost the front tire on my Emonda ALR 5 pretty fast too, within a few rides.

Teggy

Yeah, I wound up with a slight upgrade because that's what they had in stock. I need to look up the difference between the two tires.

The new tire has what's called "endurant casing" which is supposed to be another level of puncture resistance, so let's hope it works.

Is the new one matte black and the old one gloss black, or are they both gloss black?

(Or, for actual things to look for to figure out why you might prefer a bike: Are they fit comparably, i.e. saddle-to-where-you-hold-the-bars drop and reach, saddle position relative to the cranks? How do the handlebar widths and tube diameters compare, and how do the shapes of the brake levers compare? Saddle differences? Tire differences? What kind of shifting interfaces are used on the two bikes (i.e. brifters, downtube friction, etc)? How do their front-end geometries compare, especially trail? Do you prefer how the steel bike looks? Is the bottom bracket region on the steel bike somewhat flexy?)

I know why (one lets me ride anywhere, the other is purely road), its more of is it weird to just completely be turned off by a bike you used to ride a lot? Per your question the aluminum is this (older model though) and one is this

I know why (one lets me ride anywhere, the other is purely road), its more of is it weird to just completely be turned off by a bike you used to ride a lot

It is completely normal. Our brains evolved to quickly process sensory input into categorizations of danger/not danger, etc., and as such your old bike is boring your brain. Give it a few weeks and going back to it will be full of wonder and discovery again.

I do this all the time with my motorcycles, too. "Why would I ever want to ride the SV650 again, it's so *sensible*." *two weeks later* "Oh my goodness the SV's torque curve, why did I ever leave you."

Shamefully late starting on my riding season this year, even after we saw the Grand Depart of the TdF. Finally got out there and did a quick twenty miles, will be fun to see how sore I am tomorrow.

Went for a 100km ride today, starting at 7AM. I hate getting up early, but empty roads are pretty cool. Also boats.

TvnLitS.jpg

Mascot

Terribly tragic news about Chris Boardman's mother, in case you haven't heard:

Olympic cyclist Chris Boardman's mother Carol has died after a collision with a pick-up truck as she was cycling in north Wales, police have said.
Mrs Boardman, who competed in cycling races in her youth, was taken to hospital with serious injuries following the collision in Connah's Quay, near Deeside, on Saturday.
She later died in hospital.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-north-east-wales-36819791

Mascot

The light in my local woodlands can be magical at times. I'm so, so lucky having this on my doorstep. Planning on doing thirty miles around here after work this evening when it'll hopefully be a little cooler. That'll put me up to 100 miles in the last three days, which is quite a lot for me on hilly, muddy, rocky trails (don't be deceived by the photo - that's a nice flat bit! :p).

light_zpskqqhfaij.jpg

Wife and I are looking at a house and it might pose an issue for my rule of storing bikes inside, however....it has a MASSIVE detached garage that we're probably going to finish out with new insulation, drywall and bigger ceiling fan (it has it's own circuit). If I can keep it climate controlled enough it's going to be an awesome space for bike related stuff.

Mascot

Wife and I are looking at a house and it might pose an issue for my rule of storing bikes inside, however....it has a MASSIVE detached garage that we're probably going to finish out with new insulation, drywall and bigger ceiling fan (it has it's own circuit). If I can keep it climate controlled enough it's going to be an awesome space for bike related stuff.

Why does it need to be climate controlled? I've got a huge double garage attached to my house where one car stays parked, with the rest of the space being workshop and bike storage. The space has no heating and only natural ventilation (but does have laboratory-level lighting :p) and everything is fine. If I am working in there in the depths of winter then I can use an electric heater, but I've never really felt the need (work keeps me warm). Do you live in a really extreme climate?

Why does it need to be climate controlled? I've got a huge double garage attached to my house where one car stays parked, with the rest of the space being workshop and bike storage. The space has no heating and only natural ventilation (but does have laboratory-level lighting :p) and everything is fine. If I am working in there in the depths of winter then I can use an electric heater, but I've never really felt the need (work keeps me warm). Do you live in a really extreme climate?

I just worry about fluctuations in temperature creating condensation and leading to rust, or in the case of a smart trainer or TV it messing with electronics. So I figured if I do a good rated insulation it should minimize it. I don't want to put a proper HVAC system in there, that'd just be nuts. There's already a ceiling fan so I'd just want something bigger for moving more air and there's a proper window so we could also do a window unit A/C if need be.

Mascot

I just worry about fluctuations in temperature creating condensation and leading to rust, or in the case of a smart trainer or TV it messing with electronics. So I figured if I do a good rated insulation it should minimize it. I don't want to put a proper HVAC system in there, that'd just be nuts. There's already a ceiling fan so I'd just want something bigger for moving more air and there's a proper window so we could also do a window unit A/C if need be.

A dehumidifier properly rated for the size of the space might be worth thinking about then. These can be surprisingly cheap to run for a couple of hours a day on a timer.

Or you could just leave some power tools in there for a few months and see if they magically turn to rust. The idea of an air conditioned garage for bike storage is pretty hilarious, though, you might want to go for it just for the weirdo factor of it all.

Biggest problem I have in my garage is dust and particulates from cutting with e.g. mitre saw. Inevitably get a thin layer of wood dust on everything, drives me nuts, especially for lubricated drive chains, etc.

Yeah the dust / dryness is pretty bad. This is why I want to redo insulation and put up sheetrock. And yeah, I wouldn't be putting in A/C just to put A/C in for storing bikes it's because we'd be using it as a workout space. But I'd only do that if it gets too ungodly disgusting in the summers, though when we were in there yesterday it felt pretty comfortable. I think a good ceiling fan with our usual air mover would probably suffice.

I'm just being overly anal over this and worrying about rust perhaps too much.

-SG

Why all the love from SRAM recently? I tried out a bike with SRAM shifters and didn't like the set shfiting mechanics.

I did the same and liked them, but not enough to switch from Shimano. I'm sure it would take more than a single test ride to be converted, but for me it would just be an excuse to change something else on my bike anyway.

I really like Shimano, but they don't make a 1x groupset for the road. But as luck would have it, the new Tiagra with a 11-34 cassette and hydraulic disc brakes is pretty close to perfect for a poor man's setup.

Teggy

33.1C on the ride home according to my Garmin, that's pretty warm for the UK!

See, that's the problem with the celsius scale. 100 degrees! That sounds hot. 33 degrees...

Last night I figured out that the iPhone will let me run Ride With GPS and Strava at the same time. Now I can figure out how much I am suffering on my rides. My ride on Saturday had a suffer score of 180. That's "extreme", but not "epic". I guess I have more suffering to experience.

Top Bottom