• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bicycle age

danowat

Banned
See, that's the problem with the celsius scale. 100 degrees! That sounds hot. 33 degrees...

Last night I figured out that the iPhone will let me run Ride With GPS and Strava at the same time. Now I can figure out how much I am suffering on my rides. My ride on Saturday had a suffer score of 180. That's "extreme", but not "epic". I guess I have more suffering to experience.
How does strava work out its suffer score these days? Is it still doing that ridiculous guessed wattage readout?

Mascot

33.1C on the ride home according to my Garmin, that's pretty warm for the UK!

Little bit cooler here (29.6C when I left for my ride) but it was a good 10C cooler in the shade of the woods. The exposed journey home was like riding into the sun.

See, that's the problem with the celsius scale. 100 degrees! That sounds hot. 33 degrees...

Nay! Celcius is awesome. We know what ice feels like (0C) and we know what boiling water feels like (100C). Everything else is a nice sliding scale in between those two easy frames of reference. Fahrenheit is just... random.

Mascot

It really was lovely out there tonight. Saw a fucking huuuuuuge eagle too, and managed to follow it down a track for a while. Didn't get a photo of it unfortunately.
20160718_184544_zpsl8yc84uw.jpg

teepo

and speaking of which, i wanted to do some mid day training to acclimate to the extreme heat. despite going at a very modest pace for 4 hours, my suffer score came out to around 264. the high was around 97f (36c) with not a single cloud in sight and not much to shield me from being cooked alive on the country roads.

of course i had an exhaustion/allergy headache of some sort near the end, partly my fault for taking a detour to climb a very steep mountain near the end at nearly full effort. i typically always pound a 24oz bottle of water/sportsmix an hour regardless of intensity but i'm thinking i'll need to drink at least 80oz every 2 hours in the extreme heat.

HTupolev

I really like Shimano, but they don't make a 1x groupset for the road.
Is there much demand? It's uncommon to witness a roadie running a 1x transmission, or expressing interest in losing a chainring.

Front shifting on Shimano's road groupsets is pretty good. Many roadies are picky about tight gear spacing, and with a 1x setup you can either choose to have poor spacing, or be stuck with an overall range size comparable to a lot of vintage 2x setups, which IMO feels kind of limiting (I like my '83 Miyata 710, but if it was my only road bike, I'd be very hesitant to do road rides in the mountains).
Heck, even with a fairly tightly-spaced cassette, you're left with a prominent weird 1-tooth to 2-tooth transition in the middle of the range. On my modern 2x, I sometimes double-shift to find a staggered ratio to smooth this out. You can't do that on a 1x, and the only "solution" would be to start with a bigger small cog and begin with 2x jumps, which would require that all of your cogs and your chainring be enormous in order to achieve similar top-of-range step sizes.

we know what boiling water feels like
Wait, what!?

HTupolev

You've never accidentally splashed yourself when making a cup of tea?
In such a way that the splashes were large enough to still be boilingish by the time they reached my skin and remain such for a long enough time to become familiar with the temperature? Not really.

But I also don't drink much tea.

Mascot

In such a way that the splashes were large enough to still be boilingish by the time they reached my skin and remain such for a long enough time to become familiar with the temperature? Not really.

But I also don't drink much tea.

Protip: boiling water is reeeeeaaaallly hot. Like, ouch hot.

Ice in my camelbak in this weather. If I take bottles I normally start out with half ice / half water (but I've not used bottles in a while).

Mascot

Ahhh, don't you just love cycling on freshly melted tarmac.

That must be a bitch to clean off your downtube - it's bad enough getting it off your car wheels.

Luckily enough, mud, soil, gravel and rocks don't melt - especially in the cool, cool shade of God's woodland canopy.

danowat

Banned
That must be a bitch to clean off your downtube - it's bad enough getting it off your car wheels.

Luckily enough, mud, soil, gravel and rocks don't melt - especially in the cool, cool shade of God's woodland canopy.

Muck off tar remover works pretty well.

I don't mind cycling to work, for me, its is a bit of a no brainer, the country roads aren't busy, and I get a decent hours worth of cycling each way, it's also a little bit quicker on the bike as I don't have to sit in traffic on the bike.

Plus it saves a bundle of money on fuel........

Mascot

Muck off tar remover works pretty well.

I don't mind cycling to work, for me, its is a bit of a no brainer, the country roads aren't busy, and I get a decent hours worth of cycling each way, it's also a little bit quicker on the bike as I don't have to sit in traffic on the bike.

Plus it saves a bundle of money on fuel........

Do you have showers in work? We have them here but I only live a ten-minute walk away so it's actually quicker and less faff to walk. I only cycle in if I'm going directly out on the bike after work, but to be honest that brings its own set of complications so it's a lot simpler to go home first and get kitted up at my leisure.

danowat

Banned
Do you have showers in work? We have them here but I only live a ten-minute walk away so it's actually quicker and less faff to walk. I only cycle in if I'm going directly out on the bike after work, but to be honest that brings its own set of complications so it's a lot simpler to go home first and get kitted up at my leisure.

Yeah, we have a wet room with a shower, I try to cycle all year round, although I do tend to shy off if it's lashing it down, or there is ice on the road, I'm not as hardcore as when I first started riding (before I fell off a couple of times!) I remember cycling to work one morning and the Garmin showing -6C

danowat

Banned
Funnily enough -6°C was my coldest ride, crack of dawn on New Year's Eve 2014 in the Forest of Dean... and still rockin' shorts like a true mountain biker.

:p

You know I have a photo for everything..!

Me too ;)

How about this, me on the Boxing day 10, -4C, dressed as Santa?, was so cold my beard froze!

165219_480542611143_782051143_5832098_6512460_n_zpsd2458162.jpg

That's cute and all, but both of you are doing that then going back to a warm house. Try waking up in that cold, riding all day and then going back to sleep under a tarp when it's still that cold, but now with added rain / sleet.

=/

I love it... honestly.

Mascot

That's cute and all, but both of you are doing that then going back to a warm house. Try waking up in that cold, riding all day and then going back to sleep under a tarp when it's still that cold, but now with added rain / sleet.

=/

I love it... honestly.

That's probably an undiscovered condition - you should rent your brain out to psychology students.

I've never said this before, but I'm half tempted to grab my road bike and go out for a pootle... is really nice out there.

Would involve sticking flats on it though as my SPDs aren't set up right now.

You haven't done winter cycling until it's -20C outside. When your FTP means Freezing Threshold Power, as in your lungs start hurting from the cold if you breathe too fast (and then you get pneumonia).

kottila

I've never said this before, but I'm half tempted to grab my road bike and go out for a pootle... is really nice out there.

Would involve sticking flats on it though as my SPDs aren't set up right now.

More like going out for a puddle where I'm at. Pouring down today. Feels like october

Is there much demand? It's uncommon to witness a roadie running a 1x transmission, or expressing interest in losing a chainring.

Front shifting on Shimano's road groupsets is pretty good. Many roadies are picky about tight gear spacing, and with a 1x setup you can either choose to have poor spacing, or be stuck with an overall range size comparable to a lot of vintage 2x setups, which IMO feels kind of limiting (I like my '83 Miyata 710, but if it was my only road bike, I'd be very hesitant to do road rides in the mountains).
Heck, even with a fairly tightly-spaced cassette, you're left with a prominent weird 1-tooth to 2-tooth transition in the middle of the range. On my modern 2x, I sometimes double-shift to find a staggered ratio to smooth this out. You can't do that on a 1x, and the only "solution" would be to start with a bigger small cog and begin with 2x jumps, which would require that all of your cogs and your chainring be enormous in order to achieve similar top-of-range step sizes.

It's a niche for sure. But I like it as I use that bike for trail riding and cyclocross, where I usually fail to shift properly in the front. It also works well for gravel grinding because there's one less mechanism to get covered in grime.

HTupolev

When people say an MB is a 29er or whatever, what is the significance?
The "29" refers to the overall diameter, in inches, of the wheel when the tire is inflated. It's a rough estimate, as the actual diameter will vary by tire. 29er wheels use rims that have a 622mm inside rim diameter, the same as 700C.

Top Bottom