• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bicycle age

Mascot

rws20.jpg

13 Incline Alpha 27.5

Looks basically perfect for a starter bike.

Is the Voodoo Bizango no longer the go-to bike in that price range?

Edit: never mind, Bizango costs a lot more, was basing it off a staff discount price a mate had a year or so ago. Also: 29".

Has anyone here had any experience with Revo Lights? I've had a few close calls recently and want to up my visibility at night somehow, but wasn't sure if the build quality held up on these or how much illumination they actually provide.

Is the Voodoo Bizango no longer the go-to bike in that price range?

Edit: never mind, Bizango costs a lot more, was basing it off a staff discount price a mate had a year or so ago. Also: 29".

Yeah, my sister couldn't afford the Bizango, and to be honest I didn't want to risk putting in a bunch of money and then him not sticking with it.

Plus he's still a kid, so it'll be no time before he needs a medium bike rather than a small too.

Unrelated, you ride the FoD right? Know where I might be able to find an easyish route? I've done a bit there but it's been years, so I can't really remember any of the routes I did.

Has anyone here had any experience with Revo Lights? I've had a few close calls recently and want to up my visibility at night somehow, but wasn't sure if the build quality held up on these or how much illumination they actually provide.

Exposure Revo? Or Revolights as in those hipster LED wheel light things?

Is there much demand? It's uncommon to witness a roadie running a 1x transmission, or expressing interest in losing a chainring.

Front shifting on Shimano's road groupsets is pretty good. Many roadies are picky about tight gear spacing, and with a 1x setup you can either choose to have poor spacing, or be stuck with an overall range size comparable to a lot of vintage 2x setups, which IMO feels kind of limiting (I like my '83 Miyata 710, but if it was my only road bike, I'd be very hesitant to do road rides in the mountains).
Heck, even with a fairly tightly-spaced cassette, you're left with a prominent weird 1-tooth to 2-tooth transition in the middle of the range. On my modern 2x, I sometimes double-shift to find a staggered ratio to smooth this out. You can't do that on a 1x, and the only "solution" would be to start with a bigger small cog and begin with 2x jumps, which would require that all of your cogs and your chainring be enormous in order to achieve similar top-of-range step sizes.

Where I live you can easily get by with a 1x set up. We have some elevation, but nothing where you absolutely need the range of the 2x. Obviously the 2x will make it more comfortable, but the times I end up in that smaller ring on climbs is so minimal.

Range can be pretty similar between a 2x and a 1x, the main problem is that if you have massive range, you also have HUGE gaps between gears which can have you going from struggling to blender legs in a single click.

The guy I ride with is on a 1x and the jump in his higher gears is pretty big. However he is also a low RPM kind of rider so the times he jumps to that high gear is going to be on the lower end. Me, I like to spin, so it could be a problem.

Teggy

OK, I hate to do this, but we have to have a talk about chafing. I have one spot that chafes, on the inside of my right thigh, right under my...jewels. I use chamois cream and that works well, but it kind of bugs me that it's just this one spot and nowhere else. Could this indicate that maybe my seat needs adjusting? Or maybe my legs are different lengths so maybe I am slightly angled on the seat? Wondering if anyone has dealt with this.

HTupolev

OK, I hate to do this, but we have to have a talk about chafing. I have one spot that chafes, on the inside of my right thigh, right under my...jewels. I use chamois cream and that works well, but it kind of bugs me that it's just this one spot and nowhere else. Could this indicate that maybe my seat needs adjusting? Or maybe my legs are different lengths so maybe I am slightly angled on the seat? Wondering if anyone has dealt with this.
It's a tricky question because saddle, chamois, and cyclist are all interacting in complex ways. You could be chafe-free while sitting upright on the tops, and then find a spot chafing when you're leaned forward in the phantom aerobars. You could find one spot chafing while wearing one pair of shorts, and then find another spot chafing when you switch to a different pair with a different chamois.

It's ok, give it a little time and you'll be able to strike a match on any part of yourself down there... :D

I'd probably try a different pad / shorts / whatever first. Seat could arguably need pushing back a touch I guess.

HTupolev

You could also throw a tensioned leather saddle on the bike. The smooth finish and breathability works wonders for chafing.

They look kind of weird on modern bikes, though. To fix that, you might have to switch out your seatpost, stem, handlebars, bar tape, shifters, brake levers, brakes, cranks, chainrings, derailleurs, wheels, rear cluster, frame, headset, fork, saddle bag, pedals, skewers, and bottle cages.

It could also just be the fabric shifting and creating a pinch, for lack of words, in that spot.

Teggy

They look kind of weird on modern bikes, though. To fix that, you might have to switch out your seatpost, stem, handlebars, bar tape, shifters, brake levers, brakes, cranks, chainrings, derailleurs, wheels, rear cluster, frame, headset, fork, saddle bag, pedals, skewers, and bottle cages.

Oh is that all?

I have 3 pairs of the exact same shorts and I definitely think it happens on all 3 pairs. It seems it would chafe on both sides if it was some aspect of the shorts but who knows.

If looking for a way to make my bike more visible to cars at night is a hipster thing, I suppose so.

Doing it like that sure is. :)

For the rest of us... lights and reflectors generally do the job.

Oh is that all?

I have 3 pairs of the exact same shorts and I definitely think it happens on all 3 pairs. It seems it would chafe on both sides if it was some aspect of the shorts but who knows.

On three out of four pairs of my shorts (all different models / brands) I've noticed that my right knee becomes uncovered at some point during the ride, but my left one doesn't. I've also noticed that my pad generally shifts over to the right side and folds over a bit.

The revo's don't blink which I think is an immediate no go for me. In my anecdotal driving experience I have a much easier time telling distance and speed when the rider (or whatever) has a blinking light versus a static light.

Teggy

What brand? Are they sized right? How is the shammy placement?

Cheap shorts/bibs are going to be abundantly clear why they're cheap

They are LG Sensor 2 shorts ($80). They are super comfortable otherwise and don't move around at all.

Could also just be my hairy body rubbing against itself :(

Doing it like that sure is. :)

For the rest of us... lights and reflectors generally do the job.

I already have lights and reflectors. Which is why I am asking about these. I've had a few close calls this last month that have left me skittish about riding my bike. I just want to try something new.

I was thinking of adding these in addition to. Not replacing. I was just hoping someone had experience with them.

I already have lights and reflectors. Which is why I am asking about these. I've had a few close calls this last month that have left me skittish about riding my bike. I just want to try something new.

I was thinking of adding these in addition to. Not replacing. I was just hoping someone had experience with them.

I don't think these are going to do much more. I feel like I have a close call every other ride at this point so I've learned to just ignore.

I tend to mix solid and flashing for that reason.

Could always go for these.

http://www.monkeylectric.com/wheel_light_comparison/

:)

I as thinking more something like this https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/236x/f3/cf/f1/f3cff11ee0fc7341eb10eb02cc58b2de.jpg

bought my first bike today! had not been on one of these in like a decade! got a cannondale quick 8, it's pretty smooth! been riding it all morning and now my thighs are killing me. can't wait to get in shape lol

hi bicycle gaf!

Mascot

It was 29°C upstairs last night so sleep was fitful and dreams bizarre. In one of them my local trails were rendered unrideable by crowds of neckbearded virgins playing Pokemon GO. Sad thing is, this could actually come to pass.

danowat

Banned
It was 29°C upstairs last night so sleep was fitful and dreams bizarre. In one of them my local trails were rendered unrideable by crowds of neckbearded virgins playing Pokemon GO. Sad thing is, this could actually come to pass.

Yesterdays ride home peaked at 33.9C, which if I am honest, is getting on for a bit warm for me.

I reminded me of the time I did (a little bit of) mountain biking in the Sinia Desert in Egypt, mountain biking on sand is HARD.

https://www.strava.com/activities/118617996

I was riding on a road along the beach front and felt like taking the path instead of being on the main road at 4:45am. So I waited for an opening in the curb and went for it. Completely forgot to account for a lot of the areas between the main road and the path are sand filled. I almost lost i hard.

Fuck the sand.

Favourite climbs, what are yours?

Mine are......

Horseshoe Pass - Not the steepest, but I love it.

https://www.strava.com/activities/85758334

Bwlch-y-groes - Holy shit, it was hard!, I am way too big to be a climber! (I am like 900 on the leaderboard), I should really stick to time trials!

https://www.strava.com/activities/85758329

Hirnant pass - Not quite as steep as the Bwlch, but it's a cracking climb, road surface is better, and the descent is awesome.

https://www.strava.com/activities/86638280

Winnats Pass
winnats77sea.gif

the reasons being that it's the only bloody hard climb near me and it's got a great view either side.

The top bit is savage, it ranges between 25-30% and brings me to a near stop. Would going from a 12-23 to 13-26 cassette make a big difference? My chain rings are 53/39.

danowat

Banned
Winnats Pass
winnats77sea.gif

the reasons being that it's the only bloody hard climb near me and it's got a great view either side.

The top bit is savage, it ranges between 25-30% and brings me to a near stop. Would going from a 12-23 to 13-26 cassette make a big difference? My chain rings are 53/39.

Nice gif!!

I did it on a compact chainset 50/34 with a 12-25 cassette and was still grinding in the lowest gear.

23 to 26 will make a significant difference, about 1mph at 60rpm

thomaser

Dunno about favourite climb, but I tried a "promising" asphalt climb today for the first time, and it was brutal! Only 600 meters long, but with a 14% incline on average... and the steepest part reaches 45,2%! Now that was interesting - took all the muscles in my body to wrestle the bike upwards, a little bit at a time.

https://www.strava.com/segments/4743739

I'm building a bike up and I notice the frame is missing the cable guide under the bottom bracket. A) wtf is that thing called and B) is there a difference in them to where I could conceivably pick the wrong one?

I really hate that my lbs closed down. Means I don't have a spot to just stop and ask questions.

xzoowy

Dunno about favourite climb, but I tried a "promising" asphalt climb today for the first time, and it was brutal! Only 600 meters long, but with a 14% incline on average... and the steepest part reaches 45,2%! Now that was interesting - took all the muscles in my body to wrestle the bike upwards, a little bit at a time.

Holy crap 45%! Where you afraid of tumbling backward when pedaling ?

C9ULiBO.gif

Mascot

Holy fuck, me and my big mouth and damn psychic dreams. It wasn't the trails that were blocked but last night part of my route to the woods along the coastal path (at a beauty spot called Black Rock) was jammed solid with hyperventilating oiks and should-know-betters excitedly chasing imaginary creatures through their smartphone screens. What the fuck is the world coming to? I eventually picked my way through the melee but had to avoid many other flocking to the scene further along the path.

I can see this becoming a pretty big problem.

danowat

Banned

Sod that.

I rode (well, I lie, I rode halfway up, toppled over, couldn't get started again, and had to walk the rest of the way) up Chimney Bank in Yorkshire, about 36% in the middle.

https://www.strava.com/activities/182321598

Mascot

45° is a superb angle... for long rocky descents. Fuck that for climbs though.

Mascot

Have I mentioned the beautiful light at Slade in the past 24 hours?

light2_zpsth8pivcn.jpg

Are you gonna pop down for a bimble on your new steed this summer PT? It's been almost a year since the last CycleGAF Wales meetup.

Are you gonna pop down for a bimble on your new steed this summer PT? It's been almost a year since the last CycleGAF Wales meetup.
Sadly my life is all sorts of too messed up right now to even unbox the bike. Have done nothing but work through a pile of random crap all week, not even doing weights or turbo trainer. Away this weekend too and feeling pretty bad about it. =/

thomaser

Holy crap 45%! Where you afraid of tumbling backward when pedaling ?

C9ULiBO.gif

No, I leaned as far forwards as I could, so that that wasn't a problem. The problem was keeping balance sideways, because I came to a dead stop after every pedal stroke and had to stay upright for half a second before pedaling again.

There are several houses on top of that hill. I don't envy those who live there, getting up in winter with their cars must be a bitch.

ACE 1991

Interested in building up a mountain bike. Theoretically, could I use the components from a 2007 trek fx 7.1 and put them on a MTB frame with appropriate wheels/tires?

No, I leaned as far forwards as I could, so that that wasn't a problem. The problem was keeping balance sideways, because I came to a dead stop after every pedal stroke and had to stay upright for half a second before pedaling again.

There are several houses on top of that hill. I don't envy those who live there, getting up in winter with their cars must be a bitch.

I used to live on a road like that, was fucking insane. One winter we watched as a garbage truck slid down the road... sideways.

Top Bottom