• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bicycle age

Mascot

33459-white-spats-1920-s-226-p.png

Very la-di-dah..!

You roadies get funnier.

;)

Mascot

Ill be interested in your take on the lefty setup after you've given it a few shakedown rides. Was always intrigued by them, but never enough to throw a leg over one. Congratulations on the new bike! Happy you got such a great deal too :)

I meant to share this with you when replying to your post but forgot. It's very interesting from an engineering perspective for anyone with a passing interest in Lefty forks.

http://nsmb.com/cannondale-lefty-supermax-teardown/

thomaser

Got a new job a couple of weeks ago. It's out on an island, and I have to drive through three undersea tunnels and over one bridge to get there. Took the bike out there for some exploration today. A nice, disused old road by the ocean, a couple of short, tough climbs, and a tunnel that goes straight through the middle, connecting the south and north sides. The tunnel is great for intervals: 1,5 kilometers, perfectly straight, and with a 5-6% grade throughout. There was some fog today - too bad, since the place is absolutely stunning when the weather is clear.

Old road, looking west towards a tiny village with a famous lighthouse.

Old road, looking east towards two other islands.

Couple of overgrown tunnels.

The lighthouse on the north side of the island. Always packed with tourists during the summer.

The tunnel that goes straight through the mountain, over to the south side. Only one lane for driving, but it luckily has a separate lane for cyclists. My cycling club uses it for intervals now and then, especially during the winter.

jem0208

BMX coverage began today for the olympics

Anyone know when mountain bike coverage begins? Navigating the NBC site is a nightmare

Cross country is on Saturday (women's) and Sunday (men's).

The UK is absolutely destroying in the cycling so far. 12 medals with 6 golds, we just got the gold and silver in the men's triathlon as well.

On another note, new bike is being shipped!

thomaser

They always seem to vanish pretty quickly, but I can see them briefly when they go up.

Oh no... didn't know there are problems with them. I've used Google Photos, and copied the image address.

Do you see the photos now, teepo? Made shareable photos and copied the image addresses from those.

teepo

yes! it's always a relief whenever i see photos of a real bike posted in this thread

you live in a beautiful country, i am envious.

Mascot

Oh no... didn't know there are problems with them. I've used Google Photos, and copied the image address.

Do you see the photos now, teepo? Made shareable photos and copied the image addresses from those.
Google changed something a while ago with linking directly to Google Drive images. You need to rehost your pics now, which is a right pita.

Speaking of photos, has anyone here tried Prisma filters on their phone? Some of them are quite effective. Took these at the castle on the way back from the woods tonight.

prisma_zpsposaxjed.jpg

prisma3_zpsmzeqhswg.jpg

prisma2_zpsvepw9uzg.jpg

trebbble

I meant to share this with you when replying to your post but forgot. It's very interesting from an engineering perspective for anyone with a passing interest in Lefty forks.

http://nsmb.com/cannondale-lefty-supermax-teardown/

Very interesting read, and a great overview of what differentiates the lefty from other forks. I had no idea that the bottom of the stanchions were machined like a Lego technic piece, or used bearings for travel. I can see how that would add considerable stiffness. Are you digging it so far?

Mascot

Very interesting read, and a great overview of what differentiates the lefty from other forks. I had no idea that the bottom of the stanchions were machined like a Lego technic piece, or used bearings for travel. I can see how that would add considerable stiffness. Are you digging it so far?
I don't collect it for another three weeks, but anticipation is building nicely.

HTupolev

Actually, people: more photos in this thread please.
With 90-degree weather about, night seems like a good time to ride. Basically zero wind, so the ride was consistently quite fast. Had a pleasant time flying through the countryside while a big orange moon rose over the mountains.

olGA8Fo.jpg

danowat

Banned
I don't really get many pics while out riding, but here are a few from Wales.

"Road to hell" In Denbighshire

1382223_10151991080451111_537083547_n_zpsh9xfixed.jpg

Just starting the Hirnant Pass

1383215_10151991107096111_957615881_n_zpspdguxjeb.jpg

Ascending the Horseshoe Pass

1395399_10151991081146111_2078862305_n_zpsbmtul61e.jpg

Cresting the top of Blwch-y-groes

1395447_10151991081491111_135153992_n_zpsoxcxvb1v.jpg

Edit : Bonus pic, rare shot of me on an MTB in the Sinia desert in Egypt.

1898904_10152332771986111_1804437303_o_zpssmi4zdrp.jpg

jem0208

Hose it down and hang it on the wall in your living room..!

Got a photo of it?

Actually, people: more photos in this thread please.
Half way up a local hill on the ancient* bike I’ve been borrowing.

KPxgy3K.png

*It’s actually only about 9/10 years old...

1383215_10151991107096111_957615881_n_zpspdguxjeb.jpg

Huh, that’s like 30 minutes drive from me. Yet to ride it but after driving it I’ve really wanted to.

Mascot

With 90-degree weather about, night seems like a good time to ride. Basically zero wind, so the ride was consistently quite fast. Had a pleasant time flying through the countryside while a big orange moon rose over the mountains.

Me completing a century ride on my Space Horse. :)

I don't really get many pics while out riding, but here are a few from Wales.

"Road to hell" In Denbighshire

Ascending the Horseshoe Pass

Cresting the top of Blwch-y-groes

Edit : Bonus pic, rare shot of me on an MTB in the Sinia desert in Egypt.

Half way up a local hill on the ancient* bike I’ve been borrowing.

Excellent work chaps!

Lee

I had the best damn ride into work this morning. Foggy and cool, very little traffic, there was this incredibly cute girl in a short skirt in front of me at a stop light... just a great bike commute.

jem0208

It has arrived!

drD5GgN.png

For £300 this thing is bloody good.

The saddle is about as hard as a block of concrete though, need to change that.

danowat

Banned
It has arrived!

drD5GgN.png

For £300 this thing is bloody good.

The saddle is about as hard as a block of concrete though, need to change that.
It's a good bike.

FYI, imo a hard saddle is a good saddle, give it time, a saddle with (too much) padding will be uncomfortable.

jem0208

It's a good bike.

FYI, imo a hard saddle is a good saddle, give it time, a saddle with (too much) padding will be uncomfortable.
Definitely seems like it. Did a quick 5 mile ride and it felt fantastic.

On first impressions it felt like it could do with some extra padding but I wore my padded shorts on my ride and it felt much better. I think you’re right and I’ll stick with it for now.

Teggy

So this is the ride I am planning to do the weekend before my first century. You'll notice the nice mountain in the middle.

https://ridewithgps.com/routes/2984017

So, two very recent car vs. bike accidents in my area, one death and the other in a coma. I think there have been others as well. People in my clubs are a bit freaked out (one is from one of the clubs as well), as am I. Seems like a very sudden spike.

Mascot

Bloody hell, there's a lot of trees down with these 40mph winds. That's the problem with summer gales, everything is in full leaf so the storm effect is much worse than in winter. The trails are quite soggy underwheel too. Bah!

jem0208

Bloody hell, there's a lot of trees down with these 40mph winds. That's the problem with summer gales, everything is in full leaf so the storm effect is much worse than in winter. The trails are quite soggy underwheel too. Bah!
The weather has turned to shit where I live.

The day after I get my new bike as well, very annoying.

Edit: I just saw your prisma photos, those look awesome.

Think I'm going to calm my N+1 right now by doing the following: second wheel set with 40+ tubless and a carbon fork

This will definitely satisfy me for another year and over that year if I save enough for that Titanium it'll be slightly cheaper since I'd have the wheel set already

Man, going for a ride with the family is an exercise in cadence control. Why can't you do 20+ in the flats like me?!? lol

Almost have my mountain bike finished. Got an On-One Scandal frame, some Hayes disc brakes, Shimano shifters, a cx bottom bracket and crank set, and all I need now is a seatpost and seat. Can't wait.

Teggy

Swapped in the 155mm Phenom Comp today. Immediate difference in that it now feels like my whole rear is supported. Feeling a bit of soreness in my right sit bone, but I'm hoping that is just residual irritation. I'm doing a hilly 60 miles tomorrow so it will get a good test.

earlier in july i bought a hybrid bike for work and just riding around town, some of the areas in my town had some gravel so i bought some schwalbe cx comp tires and the difference was night and day.... theeenn i started enjoying riding in slightly rougher terrain so i just bought a very entry level mountain bike (giant talon 3) to take to the local trails, i'm pretty excited to take it out. hopefully in a year or two of riding these two bikes and i keep it up i hope to upgrade to better bicycles, now i just gotta save up for a roof rack or a hitch rack to carry my bike around, any recommendations?? i'm looking at the oem vw roof racks but i'm also looking at the thule ones, it seems like they have way more accessories

I think I know what it's from. I moved from Giro Republic's to Giro Empire VR90's for shoes. The Republics always sat a little tall so a shim was needed, not much maybe 1-2mm whereas the Empire's snap right in. I just dropped the seat 2-3mm and I think it was helping, but my legs are so jacked right now it's hard to tell after 1 ride. Before I go nuts I'm leaving everything as is.

Top Bottom