• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bicycle age

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
Never heard of them, but at 40% off you might be able to resell new & unused for a fat profit.

Edit: the Rollik 557 gets good reviews.

I'm quasi interested in a hardtail MTB. I have a colleague who's gotten religious about full suspension and he thinks I'm crazy. But all I'd be doing is hiking paths and cinder trails. I don't need all that guff.

Anyone else tried one of those carbon drives? I had one on a Dahon Speed Uno but it was meaningless relative to geared bikes.

Wouldn't that necessitate a refitting though as the shoes would change positioning due to slightly different fitting?

Depends on what changes.

New stem, handle bar, seat, post -- yeah, definitely go get re-fit

Shoes? Not unless you're swapping systems (Look / SPD / Speedplay). At most you might have some fore-aft adjustment, but in my cases it's purely a height thing.

It's a cool looking bike. And I love Konas, but TBH whenever I see one of these on a paved surface, it reminds me of vaping culture.

Standard wheelset it is

I did get to ride a fat bike once and TBH I didn't really feel much difference. People were saying I'd be able to ride faster and corner a little easier, but it still felt like a bit o work for this road first guy

Stinkles

Standard wheelset it is

I did get to ride a fat bike once and TBH I didn't really feel much difference. People were saying I'd be able to ride faster and corner a little easier, but it still felt like a bit o work for this road first guy

To me, it's a thing you need for sand dunes and little else. Something to rent at a beach.

Does anyone have any suggestions on how to carry my Giant Talon 3 on a Scion xB? I was using a roof rack for a bit, but it is definitely a pain in the ass to operate because the car is so tall. I was hoping to find some way to strap it to the back of the car to make it easier to put on and take off. Trailer hitches are not recommended for the xB unfortunately.

Mascot

I'm quasi interested in a hardtail MTB. I have a colleague who's gotten religious about full suspension and he thinks I'm crazy. But all I'd be doing is hiking paths and cinder trails. I don't need all that guff.
Ah, it always starts with a hardtail on fire trails, then one day you wake up backflipping the canyon gap at Rampage. Go straight to FS.

Does anyone have any suggestions on how to carry my Giant Talon 3 on a Scion xB? I was using a roof rack for a bit, but it is definitely a pain in the ass to operate because the car is so tall. I was hoping to find some way to strap it to the back of the car to make it easier to put on and take off. Trailer hitches are not recommended for the xB unfortunately.

i'm just using one of these on my vw golf (or just dropping the backseats and taking out the front wheel and putting the bike inside) until i get a roof rack

http://www.sears.com/bell-sports-1006882-7016045-2bike-trunk-rack/p-00648584000P?sid=IDx01192011x000001&gclid=Cj0KEQjwouW9BRCN0ozIifTI6_cBEiQAD9gNseyNT9S0Xj52PnW4bklZG--m4yHj_TDo-ySWVHlFM64aAvY_8P8HAQ&gclsrc=aw.ds

Mascot

Holy shizzle, my new Trigger comes in at around six pounds (2.7kg) less than my current Ariel, which I weighed for the first time at the weekend. My Ariel already accelerates like a rat up a drainpipe so I can't wait to try the new beastie. That's quite a weight saving.

Stinkles

Tow hitches are often discouraged for smaller cars because the frames and engines are not suitable for towing. However a hitch only for a bike rack won't have much effect on either aspect and is probably safe.

Teggy

Is there any real difference between a "road saddle" and "mountain bike saddle"? The Specialized packaging has little pictures on it of a person on different bikes - some with just road bike, some with just mountain bike, some with both. Best I have found is that mountain bike saddles will sometimes be shorter on the back so you can slide off the end more easily?

Mascot

Disappointing that they didn't show the jump from the pov of his helmet camera. But he actually stood up there for over an hour psyching himself up before jumping, so the batteries probably ran out!

Ha ha..! He was probably waiting for his balls to sink down from his throat to his nut-sack.

jem0208

OQPN09B.png

Not a bad reward for the first reasonable climb on the new bike.

i'm just using one of these on my vw golf (or just dropping the backseats and taking out the front wheel and putting the bike inside) until i get a roof rack

http://www.sears.com/bell-sports-1006882-7016045-2bike-trunk-rack/p-00648584000P?sid=IDx01192011x000001&gclid=Cj0KEQjwouW9BRCN0ozIifTI6_cBEiQAD9gNseyNT9S0Xj52PnW4bklZG--m4yHj_TDo-ySWVHlFM64aAvY_8P8HAQ&gclsrc=aw.ds

Tow hitches are often discouraged for smaller cars because the frames and engines are not suitable for towing. However a hitch only for a bike rack won't have much effect on either aspect and is probably safe.

Thank you! I will have to explore both of these options!

WedgeX

Banned
Well. Two short rides last week and my neck pain came back. Guess I didn't get far enough in PT. Had been looking forward to perhaps joining my school's cycling club but looks like I'll be back off for some time.

thomaser

Any other resident Norwegians doing Birken later this week? I'll do it on Friday for the second time. Should be fun! If the weather is ok...

HTupolev

My Compass Rat Trap Pass tires are in.

26er. Slicks, intended for road and gravel. Supple.

Fifty. Four. Millimeters.

Now I can ramp up the roadie-flustering capacity of my Stumpjumper to even greater heights.

D:

:D

If I overinflate these things, my wheels will probably feel like basketballs...

Is there any real difference between a "road saddle" and "mountain bike saddle"?
Not really. Many saddle makers draw no distinction at all. It's possible that MTB saddles on average have slightly tougher rails and slightly shorter noses, but who knows.

Is there any real difference between a "road saddle" and "mountain bike saddle"? The Specialized packaging has little pictures on it of a person on different bikes - some with just road bike, some with just mountain bike, some with both. Best I have found is that mountain bike saddles will sometimes be shorter on the back so you can slide off the end more easily?

Yeah, it will mostly be shape.

Mascot

To those of you running tubeless tyres, have you ever felt the need for a soda bottle rig, Airshot-type device or Booster/Flash Charger-type track pump to seat the tyre on the rim? I've heard a lot of people get on just fine with a high-volume track pump, but others seem to struggle. A few reviews of my rims say that seating tubeless tyres on them is easy with a standard track pump so I guess I might wait and see before buying a new pump or making/buying an air chamber. I don't fancy the ghetto soda bottle route (for safety reasons) and Airshots are £60 (okay, £50 from Tredz and £45 with their ubiquitous £5 off voucher) but I do like the idea of making one from an old fire extinguisher.

Edit: for those of you wondering what the fuck I'm talking about:

JPKellams

My wife's bike got stolen, but one of the Rapha Cycle Club staff found it on Yahoo! Auctions here in Japan for me. He found it because the same shop was selling a stolen Venge last week.

Turns out the idiot left his Yahoo ID in his used cycle shop website.

I tracked him down. He is a racer with a pretty high profile in the Osaka/Kyoto cycling scene... We are trying to buy the bike on auction and go with the police to buy it, but even if that doesn't work, I'm gonna make this dude suffer for dealing in stolen bikes.

It was a nice opportunity to get the wife a Bianchi Impulso 105 Disc. :)

Mascot

I've seen a few people say CO2 pumps can work for seating since that initial release is so strong.
I've heard mixed results. Some seem to swear by CO2, others moan about the cost and ineffectiveness. I think CO2 leaches through the rubber much quicker than oxygen as well, so tyres go down quicker.

I've used CO2, it's a bit fiddly. Was a Maxxis tyre that had a slight bump in the bead so it took a lot of pressure to seat it. I've got a pair of Hutchinson Toros for the autumn, if they're difficult I'll get one of those fire extinguisher jobs.

My wife's bike got stolen, but one of the Rapha Cycle Club staff found it on Yahoo! Auctions here in Japan for me. He found it because the same shop was selling a stolen Venge last week.

I tracked him down. He is a racer with a pretty high profile in the Osaka/Kyoto cycling scene... We are trying to buy the bike on auction and go with the police to buy it, but even if that doesn't work, I'm gonna make this dude suffer for dealing in stolen bikes.

Not sure why but I thought of yakuza reading that.

Mascot

I've used CO2, it's a bit fiddly. Was a Maxxis tyre that had a slight bump in the bead so it took a lot of pressure to seat it. I've got a pair of Hutchinson Toros for the autumn, if they're difficult I'll get one of those fire extinguisher jobs.
I got an old extinguisher from work today so I'll probably have a go at adapting it. Problem is, it's fully charged with CO2 so I might actually keep it for emergencies. There's a cage full of old ones so I might grab a few.

frontieruk

Getting sweat in your eyes when riding is the most painful thing on earth.

I can confirm this having broke my back riding... Sweat is definately more painful at the time.

Psychotext would be proud of me today, ahole in a car decided that as he was an ahole in a car he could ignore the road markings that gave me priority through the alternating priority system so I stopped in the middle of the road and gave him the aardvark!

H8ZFodt.jpg

Funnily the MTB guy who was just behind did as well we had a right chuckle as we rode past him after he was forced to back up the traffic behind him.

g0tm1lk

Japan is the new detroit (?)

I've seen a few people say CO2 pumps can work for seating since that initial release is so strong.

I did a combo of a CO2 inflator to fill out the tire quickly, then switching over to a floor pump to fill it up and fully seat the bead with a snap. I did this before adding my sealant as the cold from the CO2 can cause the sealant to go solid. I used a syringe to insert the sealant through the tubeless valve (core removed).

trebbble

To those of you running tubeless tyres, have you ever felt the need for a soda bottle rig, Airshot-type device or Booster/Flash Charger-type track pump to seat the tyre on the rim?

Yeah, definitely. I have a tubeless floor pump with reservoir that helps seat beads with a big blast of air, and a small CO2 canister for rides in case something goes pear-shaped (it hasn't in 4 plus years). I've also made friends with the local bike shop and use their compressor to seat beads on particularly problematic tires.

I've found that after being set the first time, most problem tires settle down a bit and are much easier subsequent times.

I was struggling with my tubeless setup all weekend, but got it sorted. Even with the occasional headache it's SOOOOO worth it :) Enjoy!

Yeah, definitely. I have a tubeless floor pump with reservoir that helps seat beads with a big blast of air, and a small CO2 canister for rides in case something goes pear-shaped (it hasn't in 4 plus years). I've also made friends with the local bike shop and use their compressor to seat beads on particularly problematic tires.

I've found that after being set the first time, most problem tires settle down a bit and are much easier subsequent times.

I was struggling with my tubeless setup all weekend, but got it sorted. Even with the occasional headache it's SOOOOO worth it :) Enjoy!

Bike shop friend are the way to go

Mascot

Getting sweat in your eyes when riding is the most painful thing on earth.

I've got a couple of these Urge All Mountain helmets and not only are they super-comfortable, they also have a removable/washable band than funnels sweat off to the sides (they call it the Gangsta Pad, weirdly) and it really works.

I needed it yesterday in 30C lunchtime heat - I was sweating like a baptist along the coastal path until I got to the relative cool of the woods.

Ripenen

If it's just about getting the initial pressure up quickly, could a person use an air compressor at a gas station?

Mascot

If it's just about getting the initial pressure up quickly, could a person use an air compressor at a gas station?

You could, but for me personally that would mean taking the wheels off the bike and driving a few miles to a petrol station, so nowhere near as convenient as being able to do it at home. Plus, most tubeless set-ups seem to use Presta valves, whereas tyre compressors at garages use Schrader. Also, when checking my car tyres I seem to find that garage compressors are out of order more times than not.

On a different note, the 30C+ temperature this morning has subsequently nosedived to low twenties which will make this afternoon's ride one hell of a lot more enjoyable.

Top Bottom