• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bicycle age

Teggy

I made a little upward angle adjustment on my new saddle and it feels almost perfect now. There's still a drop more weight on my hands than I would like so I might experiment with another degree upward. Need to find that spot where I feel like I'm nicely balanced on the saddle but not getting any numbness.

HTupolev

That shakedown ride...

The things that Jan Heine has been saying about tires.

It's true.

T1NmaDF.gif

Now my 1983 Stumpjumper drop bar conversion appears to be as fast on level pavement as my Emonda ALR 5.

I made a little upward angle adjustment on my new saddle and it feels almost perfect now. There's still a drop more weight on my hands than I would like so I might experiment with another degree upward. Need to find that spot where I feel like I'm nicely balanced on the saddle but not getting any numbness.
Don't be afraid to pop your handlebars up a bit, either. I'm very fond of the configuration where the drops are the typical solo cruising position. Then the hoods are a comfy climbing/drafting/social/whatever posture, and the bars are high enough that if you want to get particularly aero, phanton aerobars don't require unreasonable contortion.

Ripenen

Those of you who do XC MTB, what stem do you have? Thinking of getting a shorter stem in an attempt to improve handling as I do mostly very rocky single track with tight turns, small-ish (max maybe 18") drops, and short but intense climbs and descents.

Mascot

Those of you who do XC MTB, what stem do you have? Thinking of getting a shorter stem in an attempt to improve handling as I do mostly very rocky single track with tight turns, small-ish (max maybe 18") drops, and short but intense climbs and descents.

The choice is almost limitless. Find one you like based on weight, size, price and looks. I use a Pro Tharsis but do have a soft spot for the Easton Havoc.

easton-havoc-mtb-stem-black-31-8.jpg

Ripenen

The choice is almost limitless. Find one you like based on weight, size, price and looks. I use a Pro Tharsis but do have a soft spot for the Easton Havoc.

easton-havoc-mtb-stem-black-31-8.jpg

Thanks. Guess I need to measure mine first and go from there. I have a Kona Kahuna DL and there's nothing in the spec sheet about the stem length. Holy crap at the price of stems. Not sure what I was expecting but I guess I wasn't expecting $80 or more.

Mascot

Thanks. Guess I need to measure mine first and go from there. I have a Kona Kahuna DL and there's nothing in the spec sheet about the stem length. Holy crap at the price of stems. Not sure what I was expecting but I guess I wasn't expecting $80 or more.

There are much cheaper ones out there that perform exactly the same function, but you won't get as many high fives from the MTBros at the local trail centre.

:p

There is a local shop that specializes in used parts, (Recycled Cycles in Seattle) and I usually get my stems there for $5. All kinds of sizes. But my new bike has the 35mm OD, so my choices are more limited as it is a pretty new standard. But I think high priced stems are a scam. You should be able to get a decent new one for $20-40. Also check ebay for lightly used ones.
I know on my old 29er going form a 110 to a 90mm stem made a nice difference, especially when coupled with a wider bar.

Ripenen

There is a local shop that specializes in used parts, (Recycled Cycles in Seattle) and I usually get my stems there for $5. All kinds of sizes. But my new bike has the 35mm OD, so my choices are more limited as it is a pretty new standard. But I think high priced stems are a scam. You should be able to get a decent new one for $20-40. Also check ebay for lightly used ones.
I know on my old 29er going form a 110 to a 90mm stem made a nice difference, especially when coupled with a wider bar.

Are the expensive ones just lighter and have bigger brand names? I don't really care about those things as long as the thing isn't going to snap.

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative

That's my parts bin too. Also my ruckus mechanic Fritz has his shop right behind them on the water. But their prices are about 80% bullshit.

trebbble

Are the expensive ones just lighter and have bigger brand names? I don't really care about those things as long as the thing isn't going to snap.

Pretty much. Aesthetics, brand, and weight are often what you pay for. Most peeps spring for higher end stuff over time for custom builds and to transfer between bikes. Definitely an area where you can go cheaper in the size that's right for you, and not compromise much in performance.

Mascot

Gloriously wet ride this evening. It was pissing down when I left the house, pissing down all the way around the woods, and it was still pissing down when I got home. And it was fucking DARK out there, dangerously dark really. I totally lost my way a few times, on paths I've ridden hundreds of times. Took some nice tumbles over wet logs too. Looked like a drowned sewer rat when I got home. Love it!

HTupolev

Two weeks ago, I was cooling off in a bike shop after some very hard riding in the heat, and someone came in with a road bike with a snapped stem. He was bleeding profusely on one side, and had apparently stopped at a store to grab a bag of ice, which he had draped over the bloody shoulder.

"I'd like a replacement with the same geometry. If possible, I'd prefer a different brand."

They quickly found a stem with the same geometry and not the same brand, and installed it on the bike.

Then he rode off.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Mascot

Christ, you forget just how much you used to get shaken around before suspension forks were a thing. Even the Girvin FlexStem on my old SE 1000 seemed like a life saver, and that bike had (very crude) rear suspension. My old Scott had nothing at all, front or rear. I can't believe I ever managed to stay on it.

Edit: ha ha, found a photo of both of them. You can't really see the FlexStem on the Cannondale, and I'd forgotten about the radical chainstays on the Scott. Just who is that cheeky-looking fresh-faced youth..? Ha ha... baggy sweatshirt, Reebok joggers and Hi-Tek basketball boots. Coooooool....

Still got that Specialized helmet somewhere..!

cd_zpse0c2068f.jpg

danowat

Banned
Nice vintage shot, I have got ones of me on my old Diamondback MTB from the 80's, but there is no way on earth I am posting them, because I was generally wearing a Nike shellsuit.

I seem to remember wanting a flexstem, but never got round it to, I do remember buying a small plastic comb that went between the cassette cogs to keep mud out, it never worked.

Mascot

Nope, that's not happening!

If you do I'll post one of me with a Billy-Ray mullet, marble-wash jeans, green-and-turquoise deck shoes and Frankie Says teeshirt with rolled-up sleeves.

Everyone got a pass in the eighties - there's no shame attached.

Nice vintage shot, I have got ones of me on my old Diamondback MTB from the 80's, but there is no way on earth I am posting them, because I was generally wearing a Nike shellsuit.

I seem to remember wanting a flexstem, but never got round it to, I do remember buying a small plastic comb that went between the cassette cogs to keep mud out, it never worked.

oh my god, pleasssseeee.

I love the terrible awfulness of vintage mountain biking. So much terrible tech

Mascot

I love the terrible awfulness of vintage mountain biking. So much terrible tech

And terrible clothes.

This is one of my favourites - I think I've posted it before. Overcooking an endo and going over the bars. Remember, this was captured on film, so props to the trigger-fingered photographer. The horror on my face is only matched by the horror of my wardrobe: adidas tracksuit bottoms, black Travel Fox boots, and a green Levis top, heavily branded on the back.

bike_0004_zpsb777066f.jpg

Good times.

Mascot

holy shit, aluminum bar ends. Did that bike also have grip shift?

Thumb shifters! A mate had (has) GripShift on his Super V 900. They were (are) fucking awful!
The same mate was bombing around Swinley with us a few weeks ago on his Raven, complete with CODA bar ends. Some of the kids had never even seen them before.

I think once we move I'm going to just strip down my Cannondale F500 and keep the frame + fork. It's the first bike I ever bought and I would have a really hard time parting with it beyond mounting the frame in the garage.

CODA everywhere and grip shifters. Ahhh 1997

Ok, this is me racing in 1995. Totally RADICAL!!!!!!!

Qq9HqK4h.jpg

That bike had maybe 1.5 inch of travel and the Tioga Psycho lost about 8 knobs (just ripped out) and my Shimano shoes just tore in two. Gear is so much better now!

Teggy

75 miles today. Can't say my butt was pain free but we've made amazing progress. Legs are dead, though. The idea of doing a century in 2 weeks is seeming less certain. I'm going to have to think about it.

I saw a monster porcupine though. Wish I could have taken a picture.

thomaser

Photos seem to have dried up. How about some mid-ride selfies so we can put faces to names? We are all friends here..!

After finishing the Birkebeiner race on Friday. 86 kilometers over a mountain. Mud everywhere, a hailstorm, tons of rain, and fog so thick that I saw maybe 10 meters in front of me for the last 60 kms. The gears got so clogged with mud and sand that I couldn't use the smallest ring in front, which was bad since there are some pretty tough climbs between 50-60 kilometers. You can choose to ride either on Friday or on Saturday, and of course the Saturday-people had brilliant weather all day. But it was great fun anyway!

Took a header over the bars today, but all was well. Not sure what happened entirely, but I may have hit my front brake or hit a real loose patch of dirt / sand. Both would result in the same effect. Either way I laughed about it and kept riding.

Rode this (http://konaworld.com/big_honzo_dl.cfm) and really liked it. Not quite full fat bike which made it a little more fun to ride.

jP1JlBl.jpg

Top Bottom