• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bicycle age

I bought some wooly undies and a polo shirt from the Rapha sale. Never would consider them full price, but it's kinda nice having merino as everyday wear.

Next up, Chrome messenger bag.

I bought some wooly undies and a polo shirt from the Rapha sale. Never would consider them full price, but it's kinda nice having merino as everyday wear.

Next up, Chrome messenger bag.

If you can swing it, I'd recommend Mission Workshop over chrome. Same people who started crhome, but far less product so the focus is a little better

I have the rapha wool t-shirt. Perfect for casual bike rides, but don't know if I'd wear it as a normal wear kind of shirt

-SG

Anyone have any experience with Yoeleo wheels? I'm close to pulling the trigger on a set of 38mm clinchers and have heard mostly good things.

Doing a 144-mile two day ride this weekend. 77 tomorrow with 3000 feet of gain, camping at a lake, and then 77 more back, but only 1700 feet of gain. Lots of climbing. Luckily it's supported so everything is carried for me.

Ouch. 15-plus-mile hill, not sure of actual gain as my Garmin was going up at one point by several feet per second but everyone else says about 4500 average. Hamstring cramped around mile 60, that was fun to cycle through.

Also it's been pouring rain all day so I got here soaked and was due to camp. Inst ad we got nine people sharing a room suite. Hot and sweaty in here.

Got to go back up those 15 miles tomorrow. Joy. Though it has been fun hearing these people talk about their usual rides. One person didn't even finish the hill, got sagged up and felt bad going faster than 25 down the hill. Why else do you climb a big ass hill if not to speed down the other side?

Teggy

Wooh! Managed to get through a fairly gnarly ride without further injuring myself.

Ribs were fucking killing after a while, and I couldn't take a full breath, but I made it around and I'm proud of myself for not bottling it. :)

https://www.strava.com/activities/716834457

You're crazy.

I did an annual event today - 40 mile ride around Boston where they close some of the roads. Pretty cool riding with this many people:

41805BD0-8642-4049-A359-860F84441498.jpg

Mascot

I think I was a tad late with the new chain, but doing 125-odd miles a week can accelerate stretch like a mofo. Much rogue shifting today, so replacement cassette being ordered in the morning.

If you are on a road bike get road shoes.

It's a CX bike (Norco Threshold), but I just plan on riding it on the road. haha. Maybe some grass and gravel to get to another road or bike path, but never through mud, and I dont plan on actually doing CycloCross events or anything, haha.

Teggy

I'm thinking when I get my gravel bike I will get SPDs. I guess the main benefit to road shoes is that they are stiffer, but if you have plans to get off your bike frequently, that is a reason to go with SPDs. I use my road bike purely for exercise, so I went with road shoes.

HTupolev

Whats everyone's opinion on road shoes vs mountain shoes for just normal on road and bike path riding?
Use whatever shoe/cleat/pedal/whatever makes you happy. There's practically zero performance difference.

Typically people use road shoes with road cleats, or MTB shoes with MTB cleats. Road shoes with road cleats feels a bit odd to walk on, but it more or less works fine for short distances. MTB cleats sit recessed into MTB shoes, and walking like this feels pretty much like normal shoes. Road shoes with road cleats give you a wider, firmer/stiffer/whatever-feeling contact between foot and pedal that some people like, and they also tend to end up a bit lighter.

Cautionary note: putting 2-bolt MTB cleats on road shoes can work fine, but feels rather iffy to walk in, since the balls of your feet are contacting the ground via a narrow piece of metal.

...If you like platform pedals, they're also a perfectly legitimate option.

Shimano has road and mountain SPDs. Now Im confused.
SPD are their 2-bolt MTB pedal/cleat system.
SPD-SL are their 3-bolt road pedal/cleat system.

If you are on a road bike get road shoes.

OR you can get shoes that let you walk around and not sound like a prancing pony. Mountain all the way here.

Ride out - https://www.strava.com/activities/717363654

Ride back - https://www.strava.com/activities/717363655

and here i was thinking my 3700ft of climbing in 19 miles was rough

No, I think you have me beat there. the 4500 was over the whole ride looking at the Strava data. I even added an extra 1500 feet because I "missed" a turn. Meaning the Dan Henry markers they were using weren't being used. I saw three for the entire ride!

Use whatever shoe/cleat/pedal/whatever makes you happy. There's practically zero performance difference.

Typically people use road shoes with road cleats, or MTB shoes with MTB cleats. Road shoes with road cleats feels a bit odd to walk on, but it more or less works fine for short distances. MTB cleats sit recessed into MTB shoes, and walking like this feels pretty much like normal shoes. Road shoes with road cleats give you a wider, firmer/stiffer/whatever-feeling contact between foot and pedal that some people like, and they also tend to end up a bit lighter.

Cautionary note: putting 2-bolt MTB cleats on road shoes can work fine, but feels rather iffy to walk in, since the balls of your feet are contacting the ground via a narrow piece of metal.

...If you like platform pedals, they're also a perfectly legitimate option.

Honestly I just find so many of the mountain shoes ugly as hell, haha. And I'm quite fond of the shimano R171. Road shoes in general look a lot more like my puma shoes I normally wear.

I've had a few people tell me to just get mountain since its a CX bike and they are better for mud and walking around in. But I dont think I will ever be in mud, and the point of the shoes for me is to ride a bike in them, not walk around, I dont even have a lock for my bike, I dont really plan on getting off unless its to stop or maybe pop in a store for 2 seconds to get a drink.

SPD are their 2-bolt MTB pedal/cleat system.
SPD-SL are their 3-bolt road pedal/cleat system.

Ahhh, ok.

So I can probably just get some road shoes and be happy.

Honestly I just find so many of the mountain shoes ugly as hell, haha. And I'm quite fond of the shimano R171. Road shoes in general look a lot more like my puma shoes I normally wear.

You're on the bike, riding around... it doesn't matter what you wear, you're not going to get laid or anything.

Friend of mine insists on buying stuff that looks great, but is totally wrong for the riding he does. Stupid fucker is obsessed with how he looks (even though he was beaten with an ugly stick).

I've had a few people tell me to just get mountain since its a CX bike and they are better for mud and walking around in. But I dont think I will ever be in mud, and the point of the shoes for me is to ride a bike in them, not walk around, I dont even have a lock for my bike, I dont really plan on getting off unless its to stop or maybe pop in a store for 2 seconds to get a drink.

Ahhh, ok.

So I can probably just get some road shoes and be happy.

Look at the Giro Republic then. They're a casual looking shoe but with a 2 bolt clear system.

I've recently gone to 2bolt and am liking the flexibility in shoe options. I can more comfortably wear the shoes around without that awkward discomfort from Look or Speedplays.

Mascot

So it turns out that I'm going to The Cycle Show (UK) at the Birmingham NEC on Saturday. Anyone else going this year?

I was planning on going but just bagged some free tickets to some Ferrari event at Silverstone this weekend, so I'll combine that with a couple of trips to Swinley.

Ripenen

Was on my local MTB trail this week. I encountered a very obese man wearing a wife beater. I watched as he rode down a section that I've not been able to do without dismounting. Granted he had a full suspension bike probably quite a bit more expensive than mine, but man that made me feel bad.

Was on my local MTB trail this week. I encountered a very obese man wearing a wife beater. I watched as he rode down a section that I've not been able to do without dismounting. Granted he had a full suspension bike probably quite a bit more expensive than mine, but man that made me feel bad.

Yep, you'll learn fast to never judge riders by their look. I've encountered plenty older looking dudes who can smash it.

Mascot

Admit it: his jiggling tits gave you a chubby.

You're on the bike, riding around... it doesn't matter what you wear, you're not going to get laid or anything.

Friend of mine insists on buying stuff that looks great, but is totally wrong for the riding he does. Stupid fucker is obsessed with how he looks (even though he was beaten with an ugly stick).

Haha. Naw its not about looking good, it's about liking what I buy. Design factors into enjoyment just like comfort does, in my opinion.

Look at the Giro Republic then. They're a casual looking shoe but with a 2 bolt clear system.

I've recently gone to 2bolt and am liking the flexibility in shoe options. I can more comfortably wear the shoes around without that awkward discomfort from Look or Speedplays.

Giro Republic looks nice.

I like the Giro Empire ACC or the new techlace one is rad too. Both are a little expensive for me right now though.

There is a couple Northwave MTB shoes I like, I will try some of those tomorrow.

Haha. Naw its not about looking good, it's about liking what I buy. Design factors into enjoyment just like comfort does, in my opinion.

Giro Republic looks nice.

I like the Giro Empire ACC or the new techlace one is rad too. Both are a little expensive for me right now though.

There is a couple Northwave MTB shoes I like, I will try some of those tomorrow.

The Empire ACC are three bolt, you'd be looking at the Empire VR 90.

Went for a 60km ride in my summer kit today and almost froze to death. Looks like summer is truly over, time for long bib tights and jackets.

Mascot

I quite like the look of a lot of the clipless MTB shoes for what it's worth... but I'm no disco slipper wearing pansy like Mascot.
Ha! My disco slippers are 22 this year so have gone in and out of fashion about a dozen times. They are indestructible. Also, by joining me to the bike they technically turn me into a cyborg.

Ok, well I listened to no one, or everyone depending on how you look at it. haha.

I got myself the Shimano R171 road shoes, BUT I got MTB pedals (just some M530 SPD's). So for now I got the shoes I like, and Im still set up for some more usable MTB shoes later.

Took it out for a ride once I got it set up. Clips took a second to figure out, but they arent too hard to get into.

I didnt ride out into this grass and down into this little river valley, there is a nice bike path behind me, heh. I need to learn better ways to prop up my bike, haha. Or find some stuff to hang it from for pictures :p

HTupolev

Took it out for a ride
How much soft dirt are you doing? Those knobs are hurting your paved performance, and aren't really helping on hard-packed dirt and gravel.

I didnt ride out into this grass and down into this little river valley, there is a nice bike path behind me, heh. I need to learn better ways to prop up my bike, haha. Or find some stuff to hang it from for pictures :p
Learn to stand it up with an object under a pedal.

Top-tier standage:

w4FM4bz.jpg

Mascot

Mmm. Been pondering my slipping gears since fitting the new chain and while I'm convinced my cassette needs replacing (the old chain was at 1% stretch, and probably had been for a couple of hundred miles), until the new one arrives I was looking at other potential contributory causes. Fettling, I think this addiction is called.

Seems like the clutch friction in my rear mech needs adjusting north, so I did what every sensible biker does and started stripping it this morning, fifteen minutes before I had to leave for work. That led to me also refitting my chain tensioner, which involved removing the cranks and bash guard.

Suffice it to say my drivetrain is now in bits and with me having to leave work bang on 4:30 so I can be in the saddle at 5:00 to get my normal 25 mile loop in before it gets dark, I've got a nice race against time at lunch to get it all bolted back together again.

Fun times!

Mascot

Fuuuuck, I can work fast when I really need to.

Clutch friction dialled, clutch and drivetrain reassembled. No time for a shakedown but tonight's ride is back ON, bitches!

How much soft dirt are you doing? Those knobs are hurting your paved performance, and aren't really helping on hard-packed dirt and gravel.

Learn to stand it up with an object under a pedal.

Top-tier standage:

w4FM4bz.jpg

Pretty much no soft dirt right now. They are just the tires that came with it, and to be honest, they are one of the reasons I went towards a CX bike in the first place. I like the thought that they will help me with grip if I need to go on some grass, or gravel, or whatever really.

But I am open to suggestions! Is there a tire you can recommend?

Oooohhhhhhh! Under the pedal! I had tried to prop it up with my helmet, but I didn't think of under the pedal! Thanks!

Addnan

How do you guys store your bikes? Thinking of the best way for then to take up the least amount of space.. 3 bikes small place to put them in.

Top Bottom