• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bicycle age

Better to use them only as a comparison then, there's quite a few races in the coming months. But now it's time for a cool & refreshing Radler. Now that's what I call carb loading!

danowat

Banned
I know it's a niche within a niche, but I thought it was impressive, both mens and womens competition records for a 10 mile time trial went today, Anna Turvey 19:08 and Marcin Białobłocki 16:35.

That works out at 31.36mph avg for Anna and 36.18mph avg for Marcin.

Impressive stuff!

This should be good for my next ride right?

vmrcb.jpg

Edit - Ugh, god, my bars are £120 to replace. Expensive day.

Lonely1

Unconfirmed Member
Had a massive crash at Bikepark Wales

Busted up my other elbow (joins the one I smashed up a month or so back), broken a rib, fucked up my carbon handlebars and bent my saddle rails.

:(

Knee pads worked though. Knees are pristine.

Sad to hear you got hurt.

I gotta to ask. Are injuries a way of life for the enthusiast cyclist?

Pretty much a guarantee at some point for off road, assuming you're trying to get faster anyway. For roadies a lot of it comes down to how much time you spend with idiot drivers around you.

JPKellams

Pretty much a guarantee at some point for off road, assuming you're trying to get faster anyway. For roadies a lot of it comes down to how much time you spend with idiot drivers around you.

Or idiot cyclists around you. Only injury I've ever had was training on track in high school - touch of wheels and 8 people went down; had two bikes run me over.

That was a brutal World Championships. So many riders with serious crashes.

I do wonder what made Aaron Gwin's rear wheel explode like that.

Nice job. My nephew had a 7 hour day off road today (I was suppose to be with him, but couldn't for obvious reasons).

Was clearly the day for big rides. :)

Mascot

Headed out early Sunday morning for a blast and took the coastal path to the woods. It was fucking gorgeous out there - not a breath of wind, bright sun and a crisp 12°C. Just about perfect for cycling.

aa_zpsf5qfd2gh.jpg

danowat

Banned
Said I wouldn't ride it again, but dragged the SS out today, stuck a bigger gear on it, 47x16, and it's much better than the 42x16 that was on it, can sit at 21mph quite happily, although can't pedal fast enough for the downhill bits, thinking about sticking 49x16 on....

Said I wouldn't ride it again, but dragged the SS out today, stuck a bigger gear on it, 47x16, and it's much better than the 42x16 that was on it, can sit at 21mph quite happily, although can't pedal fast enough for the downhill bits, thinking about sticking 49x16 on....

Can you explain how to best read ratio charts? I'm looking into saving for a Fuji Feather (really hard to beat at $400USD) but it's a 46x16 so I'm not sure how it'd be for me. My main bike is a 50/39 with a 11/32 cassette. I tend to ride 50/18 (I think) but have no idea how this translate into a 46/16. I know there are calculators but understanding them is a different thing.

danowat

Banned
Can you explain how to best read ratio charts? I'm looking into saving for a Fuji Feather (really hard to beat at $400USD) but it's a 46x16 so I'm not sure how it'd be for me. My main bike is a 50/39 with a 11/32 cassette. I tend to ride 50/18 (I think) but have no idea how this translate into a 46/16. I know there are calculators but understanding them is a different thing.

I just chuck the ring and sproket into here > http://www.machars.net/bikecalc.htm, and hit the speed tab, this tells me how fast I will be going for a given cadence.

For example (this is 46 x 16)

speed in mph at cadence (rpm)

50 55 60 65 70 75 80 85 90 95 100 105 110 115 120
11.2 12.4 13.5 14.6 15.7 16.9 18.0 19.1 20.2 21.4 22.5 23.6 24.7 25.9 27.0

You need to decide on what your cruising cadence wants to be for the speed you want to ride at, then you need to factor in hills on the route.

My gear is 47 x 16, which is ok on the flat (cruise at about 22mph) and I can get up any inclines without any bother, but spin out on descents, which means I probably need 49 x 16

I'll be honest though, apart from not having to worry about gear maintenance or chainline, I am not convinced of any benefit of SS, gears are faster and more efficient on any ride (IMO), but my SS is a steel frame with full guards, so it's an ideal winter commuter, and I am not allowed to buy another bike!

I just chuck the ring and sproket into here > http://www.machars.net/bikecalc.htm, and hit the speed tab, this tells me how fast I will be going for a given cadence.

For example (this is 46 x 16)

You need to decide on what your cruising cadence wants to be for the speed you want to ride at, then you need to factor in hills on the route.

My gear is 47 x 16, which is ok on the flat (cruise at about 22mph) and I can get up any inclines without any bother, but spin out on descents, which means I probably need 49 x 16

I'll be honest though, apart from not having to worry about gear maintenance or chainline, I am not convinced of any benefit of SS, gears are faster and more efficient on any ride (IMO), but my SS is a steel frame with full guards, so it's an ideal winter commuter, and I am not allowed to buy another bike!

Thanks for the help. I want one for two reasons: I have some imbalance in pedal stroke so I want to level it out some, and I want an easier to manage bike for commuting around my area.

danowat

Banned
Thanks for the help. I want one for two reasons: I have some imbalance in pedal stroke so I want to level it out some, and I want an easier to manage bike for commuting around my area.

I'll be honest, there is something a bit zen in not having to worry about gears, as for imbalance issues, they are pretty normal (within certain levels) and probably not worth the effort (IMO) trying to level it out (how much are we talking?).

I know people who swear that fixed improves pedal stroke, but it just messes my knees up, and I just use single speed instead of fixed.

I'll be honest, there is something a bit zen in not having to worry about gears, as for imbalance issues, they are pretty normal (within certain levels) and probably not worth the effort (IMO) trying to level it out (how much are we talking?).

I know people who swear that fixed improves pedal stroke, but it just messes my knees up, and I just use single speed instead of fixed.

Not terrible, but i notice them for sure. The Feather has a flip-flop hub so I could always reverse it if it gets to be too annoying.

I made a ghetto sscx out of my Plug again, with a gearing of 42-19. It's a bit too much for off roading, but it was what they had on shelf and I figure it will help me learn how to carry speed. Also it has horrible caliper brakes that get stuffed with dead leaves.

Mascot

I made a ghetto sscx out of my Plug again, with a gearing of 42-19. It's a bit too much for off roading, but it was what they had on shelf and I figure it will help me learn how to carry speed. Also it has horrible caliper brakes that get stuffed with dead leaves.

If only photography was an invention.

;)

If only photography was an invention.

;)

Luckily, my tubeless conversion went relatively easy today, so I was able to prepare a quick drawing of the bike. I was not quite able to capture the essence of the tyre pattern; they're old wire bead Challenge Grifos pressed into service (with tubes).

iqrXXIP.jpg

Teggy

Every time I take one of these longer rides I get really hungry for the next day or so. Last night I had an order of boneless chicken, half a pizza and an ice cream sandwich and today I finished the pizza and ate a pint of gelato. Not so great for taking weight off.

Mascot

Luckily, my tubeless conversion went relatively easy today, so I was able to prepare a quick drawing of the bike. I was not quite able to capture the essence of the tyre pattern; they're old wire bead Challenge Grifos pressed into service (with tubes).

iqrXXIP.jpg
Fuck, sorry I asked - I didn't realise you were talking about a Jimmy Farthing.

PT, did you see Extreme Wales this evening? Mtb ride from the Brecon Beacons to the summit of Snowdon. It'll be on iPlayer tomorrow.

PT, did you see Extreme Wales this evening? Mtb ride from the Brecon Beacons to the summit of Snowdon. It'll be on iPlayer tomorrow.
Nice.

Every time I take one of these longer rides I get really hungry for the next day or so. Last night I had an order of boneless chicken, half a pizza and an ice cream sandwich and today I finished the pizza and ate a pint of gelato. Not so great for taking weight off.

I've always said exercise is awful for losing weight. Just makes you hungry.

More injury photos...

dtl7g.jpg

(That's swelling, not love handles)

Mascot

That's the worst whale tattoo I've ever seen.

PT: I said I wanted "I Love Wales" boyo, isn't it!

Trainee tattoo artist: Stop flobbing at me you crazy druid!

HTupolev

How far the bike will roll forward in a revolution of the pedals determines the gearing.

For example, suppose you have a 29er rear wheel where the tire actually inflates to exactly a 29" diameter, a 16-tooth cog, and a 48-tooth chainring.
The chainring has 3 times as many teeth as the cog (48/16), so the rear wheel will spin 3 times for every revolution of the cranks.
The circumference of the rear wheel is 91 inches (29 * pi). So for every revolution of the cranks, the rear wheel will turn 3 times, moving the bike forward by 91 inches each time; a total of 273 inches.

A lower number indicates lower gearing. This makes intuitive sense: it's easier turn the cranks around if doing so only moves you forward by 150 inches, than by 300 inches.

//=========================

However, while this "distance per crank cycle" is easy to visualize, it's not a typical unit for describing gearing. Instead:

1-The closest equivalent for describing gearing is called "gear inches," and it was first used in the days of bikes that had cranks mounted directly on the wheel axle, like penny-farthings. These bikes had gearing that was directly proportional to the size of the wheel. A penny-farthing with a 60-inch front wheel is said to have 60 gear inches.
Calculating gear inches is done exactly as the computations above, but without multiplying the wheel size by pi to get the circumference. So instead of:
(29*pi)*(48/16) = 273 inches moved forward by each pedal revolution
You do:
(29)*(48/16) = 87 gear inches
One way to interpret this is that, if you wanted to build a penny-farthing with gearing equivalent to that 29er, you'd have to use an 87-inch front wheel! Yikes!
A lot of road bikes with compact cranksets might have granny gears in the ballpark of 30 gear inches, and top gears in the realm of 120 gear inches.
A 700c Long Haul Trucker touring bike has a granny gear of about 22 gear inches.

2-When discussing gearing on a given bike, or multiple bikes with very close inflated wheel sizes, it's often simpler to ignore inflated wheel size and just compare the wheel-revolutions-per-crank-revolution. You're comparing a 50/18 to a 46/16? (50/18)/(46/16) = .966, so the 50/18 is a few percent lower than the Feather's stock gearing. This is a difference less than a single gear shift, so not huge; however, it's pretty ambitious to run a single-speed with a gear that's higher than your preferred cruising gear! You may wind up deciding to switch to a 17 or 18 in back. Or you'll be a badass! Your choice.

//=========================

Crank length also sort of affects gearing from the point of view of your legs, although it's a bit weird to quantify. Longer cranks are longer levers and can thus have a gearing-reducing effect. The gear reduction manifests as requiring that you turn your legs around a larger circle to maintain the same bicycle speed, rather than requiring that you turn the cranks at a higher RPM like "gear reductions" in the usual sense do.

Ah that all makes sense. I was thinking of just giving the 46/16 a go and see how it feels. We're mostly flat around here but I can definitely see finding myself on some climbs where I'll end up hating my life on that gearing.

Teggy

I'm having trouble picturing something in my head:

If I had 36t crank and a 36t gear, how would that differ from a 24t crank and a 24t gear? In both cases a single revolution of the crank would turn the wheel one time, but there has to be something else to it, right?

danowat

Banned
I'm having trouble picturing something in my head:

If I had 36t crank and a 36t gear, how would that differ from a 24t crank and a 24t gear? In both cases a single revolution of the crank would turn the wheel one time, but there has to be something else to it, right?
It wouldn't differ, a 1:1 ratio is always 1:1

Aye. Though I have heard someone argue that having a bigger ring on the front makes a difference, no matter the ratio... but they were never able to explain it well enough for me to believe them.

Top Bottom