• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bicycle age

I'm running an 11/25T Ultegra rear cassette on my road bike (paired with a standard 39/53T front crank) and it's brutal for me while climbing steep hills...I'm considering switching to a 11/28T cassette to help me hate life just a little less =P...is there anything else I should be aware of when switching from 11/25T to 11/28T? Does switching out the rear cassette to larger cogs also mean I have to switch out to a longer chain as well?

Antagon

Tried the type of bike I linked before, turns out that it rides like shit. The handlebars are far too low for the upright position, so when cornering you get your hitting your knees with the handlebars.

Instead, I'm looking at Azor now. They basically give you the option to choose the parts for the bike yourself. They've got some basic option packs that you combine with a frame and have some extra options for finishing it. Nice thing is that all frames they sell are still build here in the Netherlands and generally of higher quality then the made in asia frames from the big brands (Gazelle, Batavus)

What I'm thinking about getting is basically this frame and option pack:

p1040790.jpg

Add 3 gears, coaster brake, some creme colored rims and leather brooks saddle. Only thing I'm not sure about is is the weight. It'd end up at 57 lbs...

ameratsu

Weather hasn't been great (snow and freezing temps) so I've been relegated to cleaning my new bike. Also swapped out the front brake pads for koolstop salmon pads as the stock pads that come with tektro brakes are pretty poor. Can't wait to go on a nice long ride once the temps go back up this week.

Brera

Banned
The great weather this weekend meant I spent much of it on my bike. Having a bike you are attached to helps a lot. Had a slightly problem when the front derailleur came loose somehow but was just 1 mile from my local bike shop. £5 and 1 hour later I was back on track and on reaching my local park, found that they had upgraded over the winter and lots of forgotten forest tracks had been uncleared! Result!

Will post pix of my 2012 Cube Attention in A-Team black, grey and red as soon as my internet throttling is sorted!

Get'sMad

Been mainly running the last few weeks but finally got back on the roadie this afternoon and did 27 miles. Felt great...except I'm def. feeling some ass soreness since I've been off the saddle for a couple months. Still gotta this thing in for a tune-up but I'm glad to be back out on the bike again....running is starting to get a little boring.

olore

I'm running an 11/25T Ultegra rear cassette on my road bike (paired with a standard 39/53T front crank) and it's brutal for me while climbing steep hills...I'm considering switching to a 11/28T cassette to help me hate life just a little less =P...is there anything else I should be aware of when switching from 11/25T to 11/28T? Does switching out the rear cassette to larger cogs also mean I have to switch out to a longer chain as well?

Could be but look into maybe getting a triple up front or going with a compact double to get the gear inches on your side.

Xeke

Banned
Well had my first major wipeout of the year today. Thankfully the cooler weather saved me from a lot of the possible pain. Going from the road to the sidewalk on what appeared to be a ramp no big deal. It was just a low curb and as soon as I hit it it threw me off onto the concrete.

I was originally considering going out riding with just shorts and a teeshirt but the cooler weather made me decide on jeans and a light jacket which saved me from getting my skin all torn up, came away with no bleeding. Thankfully it all happened to fast for me to put my hands out as I probably would have broken a wrist, instead I landed right on the right side of my chest and my ribs are really sore. It all happened right in front of a hospital and there was an EMS guy there who helped me out. Mostly knocked the wind out of me and left me with a set of sore ribs. But I finished the rest of the ride!

On the good side I put 30 miles in this weekend. I'm sure I'll feel just great tomorrow........

ScOULaris

Bicycle-GAF: Did I get ripped off?

image2.aspx

I just recently started getting into biking with my wife (casual riding for exploration rather than distance or speed). I ended up buying a gently used 2002 Giant Cypress off of a nearby Craigslist seller who seemed to be a bike enthusiast.

The bike was in very good condition. No cracks in the frame, great tread on the tires, gears and breaks functioning well. The only blemish was that the numbers on the grip shifters were mostly faded away.

Now, I paid $250 for this used bike. I thought that it was a fair price, given how much comparable new hybrid bikes of similar quality cost these days. Then I looked on the BikePedia page that I linked above, and the MSRP is listed at $260 new. Is that what it retailed for back in 2002? The 2012 model of the same bike retails for $460.

So help me out here. Did I pay a fair price, or did this guy overcharge me?

PS - In case it matters, the bike came with a drink holder attached and a kickstand added on.

ameratsu

Bicycle-GAF: Did I get ripped off?

If you look here, you can see that a couple people reported to have paid more than that for the 2002 model. One person paid $550, another $375, and yet another paid $269.

Given the large discrepancies in price, I assume there is at least 2 different models, the SX model probably sold for ~$600, while the base model sold for ~$250.

Reviews make it seem like a decent bike, but if you paid $250 for a 10 year old bike that had a MSRP of $260, yes, you got ripped off.

Rei_Toei

Fclvat sbe Pnanqn, ru?
Tried the type of bike I linked before, turns out that it rides like shit. The handlebars are far too low for the upright position, so when cornering you get your hitting your knees with the handlebars.

Instead, I'm looking at Azor now. They basically give you the option to choose the parts for the bike yourself. They've got some basic option packs that you combine with a frame and have some extra options for finishing it. Nice thing is that all frames they sell are still build here in the Netherlands and generally of higher quality then the made in asia frames from the big brands (Gazelle, Batavus)

p1040790.jpg

Add 3 gears, coaster brake, some creme colored rims and leather brooks saddle. Only thing I'm not sure about is is the weight. It'd end up at 57 lbs...

That bike is boss, bro. It's exactly (only in completely bust-up state) I was riding around with during highschool :). I'm planning to get one or something like it when I return to the Netherlands to replace the crappy wrecks I ride now.

BrettWeir

I am so damned excited. I've been researching mountain bikes for over a month. I almost picked up a Mongoose Detour from Academy Sports, but decided to check up reviews. Holy hell. It was like picking up a shovel and discovering new treasure (information) every day. I learned about how bad shovelware bikes in retail stores are. I almost tossed $220 out the window on a piece of junk that may last a year?

After seeing a new side of the coin, it made me think of my father. He has had a Lotus road bike for ... probably 30 years now. Through the years, he of course has upgraded everything but the frame. The thing is a beast. I wanted a bike that could do the same thing.

After all the research, treasure hunting, and dreaming, I drove home today with this baby, and I could not be happier:

iAOFWHEWwiudx.JPG

Yamaha98

I am so damned excited. I've been researching mountain bikes for over a month. I almost picked up a Mongoose Detour from Academy Sports, but decided to check up reviews. Holy hell. It was like picking up a shovel and discovering new treasure (information) every day. I learned about how bad shovelware bikes in retail stores are. I almost tossed $220 out the window on a piece of junk that may last a year?

After seeing a new side of the coin, it made me think of my father. He has had a Lotus road bike for ... probably 30 years now. Through the years, he of course has upgraded everything but the frame. The thing is a beast. I wanted a bike that could do the same thing.

After all the research, treasure hunting, and dreaming, I drove home today with this baby, and I could not be happier:

iAOFWHEWwiudx.JPG

Is that the Trail SL2? Just picked up the SL3 29er few weeks ago. My first niner, bike is faster on some parts of the trail but I feel slower at other parts (uphills). Other issue is getting it racked on the thule sidearm roof rack; barely fits on the rails & have to really tiptoe to get the arm over the front right wheel. Overall, I like the 29er but I find running out of gear more than I did on my 26 Trek.

SUPREME1

Banned

iAOFWHEWwiudx.JPG

That's awesome that you are 100% satisfied with your purchase. A little research goes a long way towards reaching that. Good for you.

Sweet looking bike too. Kinda has a military look to it.

mt1200

Does anyone know what could this be?.

My bike's brakes are fine ( they are not touching the wheels), but it feels slow as hell, I get more tired than before.

Whenever i'm accelerating the bike sounds like a bee buzzing.

SUPREME1

Banned
Does anyone know what could this be?.

My bike's brakes are fine ( they are not touching the wheels), but it feels slow as hell, I get more tired than before.

Whenever i'm accelerating the bike sounds like a bee buzzing.

- Derp question: Is the wheel alligned correctly, where it's not comming into contact with the frame anywhere?

- Likely cause: Tire pressure okay? Low air pressure has both effects you described. It'll make you work harder, bike won't cruise as far as usual... and it'll make a buzzing noise as well.

BrettWeir

Is that the Trail SL2? Just picked up the SL3 29er few weeks ago. My first niner, bike is faster on some parts of the trail but I feel slower at other parts (uphills). Other issue is getting it racked on the thule sidearm roof rack; barely fits on the rails & have to really tiptoe to get the arm over the front right wheel. Overall, I like the 29er but I find running out of gear more than I did on my 26 Trek.

It's a Trail 6. I'm only 5'4", and didn't want to mess with 29's.

That's awesome that you are 100% satisfied with your purchase. A little research goes a long way towards reaching that. Good for you.

Sweet looking bike too. Kinda has a military look to it.

Thanks!!! I can't wait to get it out on a few of the trails around Atlanta.

Anyone have experience with Scott road bikes? I am looking at a Speedster S20 but honestly have never heard a thing mentioned about Scott as far as their road bikes go.

Kraftwerk

Anyone have experience with Scott road bikes? I am looking at a Speedster S20 but honestly have never heard a thing mentioned about Scott as far as their road bikes go.

Scott is a very underrated brand. THey make great, great bikes. They are one of the innovators in the industry, but never get the credit they deserve. They are much more popular in the TT/TRI and MTB section. I know a ton of people who ride scott road bikes, but they are all in EU.

Are you looking at the 2012 Speedster S20? If so, what price did your LBS say? I

Scott is a very underrated brand. THey make great, great bikes. They are one of the innovators in the industry, but never get the credit they deserve. They are much more popular in the TT/TRI and MTB section. I know a ton of people who ride scott road bikes, but they are all in EU.

Are you looking at the 2012 Speedster S20? If so, what price did your LBS say? I

Roughly $1400.

When I rode it the little bit that I did, I was impressed with it and honestly about walked out with it. But I wanted to look into it more and am let down by the lack of reviews I can find online.

Kraftwerk

Roughly $1400.

When I rode it the little bit that I did, I was impressed with it and honestly about walked out with it. But I wanted to look into it more and am let down by the lack of reviews I can find online.

My friend who owns 2 shops, carries SCOTT. You will not be disappointed with the quality, and you are going with a model that has Shimano 105, which is a very good groupset.

Again, you will not be disappointed. SCOTT is very innovative, and a bunch of other companies are using their technology. They have brought many groundbreaking innovations to the cycling/winter sports industry.

tirant

p1040790.jpg

Amazing bike. I love dutch city bikes, the best bikes for commuting. They last, literally, decades.

Just some months ago I got myself an old Union fiets for free. I just had to do some fixing. 30€ later and just some hours of work and I got myself a bike that will last forever. And I ride it much more than my expensive Mountain Bike.

Socreges

Banned
So I've got a pretty standard mountain bike. CCM APEX 6061 Aluminum. Some may refer to it as "retail junk", but it's done me well over the year I've had it.

83169732.jpg

I'd like to get some more efficient road tires for when I'm just going around town, which is the majority of my riding. Anything I should know? Any suggestions on which to buy or where from? Thank ya

My friend who owns 2 shops, carries SCOTT. You will not be disappointed with the quality, and you are going with a model that has Shimano 105, which is a very good groupset.

Again, you will not be disappointed. SCOTT is very innovative, and a bunch of other companies are using their technology. They have brought many groundbreaking innovations to the cycling/winter sports industry.

Well I picked it up I will post thoughts after a week of riding. Thanks for the heads up like I said very little is stated online about Scott Roadbikes I find this strange but I won't argue your advice.

Kraftwerk

Well I picked it up I will post thoughts after a week of riding. Thanks for the heads up like I said very little is stated online about Scott Roadbikes I find this strange but I won't argue your advice.

I understand. Some companies such as Giant and Scott do absolutely no marketing. Unlike Specialized, where you can find 10 videos about each model on their website, and a plethora of media/press.

Congrats on the new pick-up and enjoy the ride!

Antagon

Amazing bike. I love dutch city bikes, the best bikes for commuting. They last, literally, decades.

Just some months ago I got myself an old Union fiets for free. I just had to do some fixing. 30€ later and just some hours of work and I got myself a bike that will last forever. And I ride it much more than my expensive Mountain Bike.

I've been a bit let down with more recent bikes. Newer Gazelle bikes seem to have pretty bad frames.

Anyway, got my bike ordered now. I have decided to go with the extra strong version (basically got a moped rear wheel, even more stainless steel parts and a stronger rear rack. Should have it in 3 weeks, can't wait.

purg3

slept with Malkin
weather was pretty amazing last week, so I got to ride some trails. Taking a break from the road bike for now. It was pretty muddy, but so much fun.

8dVzO.jpg

RubxQub

φίλω ἐξεχέγλουτον καί ψευδολόγον οὖκ εἰπόν
Looking to replace my Electra Townie 7D with a bike a bit more capable. The two places that I typically bike are on hilly pavement or a relatively flat gravel/small rock trail.

Checking out the local shop, the guy showed me a Specialized Crosstrail Sport that looks to try and be capable in both worlds. Able to lock or unlock the front suspension depending on the terrain. Tires are more slick in the center and rugged on the perimeter. Seems like a pretty damn ideal bike, but I have no experience with these things.

Honestly a bit more than I would have wanted to spend, but if it's a quality bike that actually works well in both situations, that'd probably be ideal.

Any experience with these?

Brera

Banned
Brera you live in EU?

Gorgeous bike btw. CUBE is amazing.

I'm in the UK.

I was just browsing the other day at bikes and comparing specs. I'm just amazed how much better Cube specs are compared to everyone else. Their prices are extremely competitive and the bikes all have amazing paint jobs! Handling ain't bad either!

Latest addition is pimp my ride red pins, supposed to be for DMR pedals but fit my wellgo MG1 pretty well!

a2433bab.jpg

ScOULaris

You got ripped off dude but don't let it sour the bike. Enjoy it, sell it when you get bored and shop around next time!

Yeah, I still love the bike. It fits me perfectly. But I just can't believe such a nice, knowledgeable guy ripped me off like that. What a douche.

Brera

Banned
He didn't really rip you off though.

He set a price and you thought it was worth the price.

It's worth noting that your bike is probably better built and more robust than the current model, it just won't look as modern or flashy.

B-Ri

I really really want a bike! I just dont know what to look for, and I am too afraid of going on craigslist in fear of getting screwed cause I dont know bikes

ScOULaris

He didn't really rip you off though.

He set a price and you thought it was worth the price.

It's worth noting that your bike is probably better built and more robust than the current model, it just won't look as modern or flashy.

Why is that? Did Giant tend to use higher-quality materials in the early 2000's as compared to now?

I really really want a bike! I just dont know what to look for, and I am too afraid of going on craigslist in fear of getting screwed cause I dont know bikes

I got my bike from a seller on Craigslist, and I unknowingly paid too much for it. I'd suggest looking up the bike's MSRP on BikePedia before putting money down on a bike from CraigsList.

Brera

Banned
I've just found that older bikes tend to last longer.

In recent years, there has been a trend for the current year model to be inferior to the preceeding year to cut costs.

ChiTownBuffalo

Either I made up lies about the Boston Bomber or I fell for someone else's crap. Either way, I have absolutely no credibility and you should never pay any attention to anything I say, no matter what the context. Perm me if I claim to be an insider
So, in exploring the wordl of 29're mtbs, my cousin suggested 650b.
ANyone have any experience with this wheel size? Doesn't seem to be too popular in the US

Fixed1979

So after a bit of shopping over the weekend I put down a deposit on the Felt AR5. There are a couple of components that I'm not sold on but those can be easily swapped whenever I get the urge, it appears to be a solid frame and I'm pretty pumped about picking it up in a couple weeks. Once I grab it I'll make sure to through up a couple pics.

Now to track down a computer and pedals. I was thinking about the Garmin 200 and probably some cheap pedals to get me through a year before I decide on an upgrade path.

Fireye

I've started to bike again, this time around taking it a lot more seriously than I have before. I pulled my bike out a few weeks ago, and started to get used to it again. I have a few problems, that I'd appreciate some advice on:

Background:
* I'm a big-ass guy, 6'1" 280lbs, and I'm hoping that bicycling will help me shed weight (in addition to better eating).
* I got a Trek 7000 as a gift from my dad in... '10? Maybe '09. It's been used sparingly, and as a result, had some rust issues. I read up a bit on bicycle maintenance, got some Naval Jelly, and cleaned my cassette and chain as best as I could. As far as I can tell, it's functionally OK.
* I've been riding half and half on paved trailed and gravelly trails. This has been mostly ok with my 7000, though I have had some wobbliness on moderately loose dirt/gravel trails. About 20-25miles (32-40km for the rest of the world) per trip, 3 times a week so far.
* I seem to average about 13-14mph on trails/sidewalk riding, which feels a bit slow. Not sure if my aforementioned slightly rusty cassette/chain have anything to do with that.
* I don't think that I'll convert to pure road biking or pure trail biking at any point, I enjoy being able do ok speeds on roads, while not having super thin tires which would make some trail biking a lot tougher.

Questions:
1) I'm concerned about my chain and cassette, I sometimes have issues with gears slipping (usually the lowest gearing). This is a 7-speed cassette... it isn't possible to upgrade to an 8-10speed without changing out my shifter, is it? If I have to stay with a 7speed, can someone point me to a good explanation "14-34" might indicate in the gearing? It appears that replacement cassettes have different ranges/ratios/whatever that is.
2) Is it worth considering going up to a Trek FX series bike? As far as I can tell, the FX line is a slightly different design with higher grade parts.

Now to track down a computer and pedals. I was thinking about the Garmin 200 and probably some cheap pedals to get me through a year before I decide on an upgrade path.

The Garmin 200 is a good buy, and goes for about $150. I personally have the Garmin 500, which has heart rate in addition to the other stuff the Garmin 200 has (GPS, distance, etc.)

What makes GPS's so fun is that you can use services like Strava.com. It's basically an online training tool + social network for runners and cyclist. Whenever you ride or run, you upload your data. You start following some other ppl, and you can check out where they ride, how much they ride, how fast they are on certain segments. (It gets competitive.)

Strava.com is very addictive, and can be a great motivator to ride more.

Brera

Banned
Braking question guys.

My bike has Shimano M445 hydro brakes. Looks like these are bottom of the range and I'm not happy with the power. I've been told that the levers tend to be the game changer.

Could I just replace the M445 levers with SLX M666 levers and see some improvement and change the calipers later? Everything apart from the brakes is either Deore or SLX so the M445 is a bit out of place...

Socreges

Banned
So I've got a pretty standard mountain bike. CCM APEX 6061 Aluminum. Some may refer to it as "retail junk", but it's done me well over the year I've had it.

83169732.jpg

I'd like to get some more efficient road tires for when I'm just going around town, which is the majority of my riding. Anything I should know? Any suggestions on which to buy or where from? Thank ya
Is my bike so ugly that people had to ignore my questions. :(

Is my bike so ugly that people had to ignore my questions. :(

What kind of commuting do you want to do? What surfaces will you be riding on?

These are my personal favorites: Michelin Transworld City

32987621.jpg

Super comfy, great grip, and have a reflective sidewall for safety. Also have a puncture protection belt under the tread. I rode my last set for over 3,800 miles across road, sidewalk, greenway, and even toured on them and only had one flat.

Also, never speak poorly of your bike. :)

Qasiel

Hi Cycle-GAF,

I've recently had to move address, but this means I get to enjoy riding to and from work now as opposed to just ragging it around my local woods. The question I have to ask is what kind of backpack is good for commuting usage? I usually use my Camelbak Mule for when I'm out and about usually, but I need space for an A4 folder, lunchbox as well as the usual stuff (multi-tool, spare tube, pump etc.). I also could do with a seperate area to put my drink bladder.

Any advice would be very welcome, and I'm in the UK if that helps.

Cheers!

Jzero

Hi Cycle-GAF,

I've recently had to move address, but this means I get to enjoy riding to and from work now as opposed to just ragging it around my local woods. The question I have to ask is what kind of backpack is good for commuting usage? I usually use my Camelbak Mule for when I'm out and about usually, but I need space for an A4 folder, lunchbox as well as the usual stuff (multi-tool, spare tube, pump etc.). I also could do with a seperate area to put my drink bladder.

Any advice would be very welcome, and I'm in the UK if that helps.

Cheers!
Anyone use a male shoulder bag for commuting to college? my normal backpack makes my back extremely sweaty :(

Top Bottom