• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bicycle age

Kak.efes

Hey guys.

I bike a fair amount (~60k on an average day maybe, I commute) and my bike is a piece of shit. I'm in Toronto -- which, if this page is any indication -- probably bodes well for me -- so I'm mostly biking on roads. I'm wondering if there's any sort of recommendation people can give me for an investment that I can make for like, under $500 that will be worthwhile. The budget is pretty tight due to the fact that I'm a student and I have to pay for that before anything else, so I suppose I'm also asking if it's even justifiable to spend any money unless I can save more.

Don't skimp on price. I understand budget constraints, but if you truly want an amazing ride, it'll cost you between $800-$1,000. I'd save up. My buddy who also commutes in Toronto, recently purchased this, and he swears by it. You can find it on sale for $900.

ameratsu

I have a super stupid question about the 105 FD

When I want to go from the big chainring to the small one, it goes all the way down. it seems like there are 3 steps, which would be intended for a triple front crank right? Because when i shift down, the chain rubs really bad until i shift it up one more position. So going big chainring -> small means two shifts, which i find strange.

Anyone have any recommendations for places to get clothes suitable for cycling that aren't the usual garish stuff you see around? I'm looking for something to basically keep the wind of my skin, for cycling in less than pleasant weather. I'm in the UK, if that matters.

Fixed1979

Anyone have any knowledge of Felt? I'm still on the hunt and the F4 caught my eye.
F4_USA_2012_SMALL.jpg

MAINTENANCE QUESTION:

I have a problem with the bar tape on my road bike. It keeps coming off, like every week. I put it on perfectly, got a friend to try, even the mechanic at the bike shop had a go. After 2-3 rides it starts to untangle itself, always on same side.

This is something I should only be changing once a year at the most, currently I'm going through a 2 rolls of bar tape a week.

Any thoughts Bicycle-GAF?

What brand of tape are you using? Is it a weird handlebar?

Anyone have any knowledge of Felt? I'm still on the hunt and the F4 caught my eye.
F4_USA_2012_SMALL.jpg

It's a race frame: that manes it is super stiff (you'll feel alot more road vibration) and has a super aggressive geometry ( more pressure in the hands, twitchier handling). If you're planning on racing it is a wonderful machine.

Kraftwerk

F4_USA_2012_SMALL.jpg

Yeah, we do carry FELT. Aerodynamics is their game.

The F series in the race/performance series. FELT has a "long and low" geometry. meaning that you need to have a long torso to fit on them. Yes, anyone can ride them, but to be perfect, you require a longer torso to inseam ratio. Make sure you go to a store that measures you before going with a felt.

And speaking of FELT, the AR series are goddamn beautiful. The AR series are super aero/race bikes. Closest thing to a TT/TRI bike, without buying one.

Fixed1979

Thanks for the responses on the Felt bikes. I couple people mentioned them to me and I dig the look of them. I'll be heading to Edmonton at the end of the month and theirs a distributor their for Felt so I'll definitely be stopping in there.

I looked at the AR bikes (they're definitely eye catching), I'd have to go down to around the AR5 to get into a good price range (this is based on USD, I'm still a little worried about what I'll find when I see the CAD pricing) and I don't know about the Shimano 105 components. I was worried that the F4 might be "too much bike" for me. I looked at the Z4 as well but meh...

I'll just have to jump on one.

ameratsu

Went for a 2 hour ride this morning on the TCR. I don't have much to compare it to, but I will say the shimano 105-5700 group is like magic compared to my 80s bianchi with indexed campagnolo shifters. The aluminum frame did feel harsher over very rough surfaces (vs. columbus steel) but overall the ride is smoother than my bianchi. Geometry wise I have no complaints.

I am also looking to try a Felt F75 and Cannondale CAAD10-5. Can't try either, as neither shop has 2012 stock yet. Will report back once they do.

What brand of tape are you using? Is it a weird handlebar?.

Well known brands: Easton, Fizik, Ritchey, etc.

Just a standard road bike handle bar.

I'm think of double wrapping to see what happens.

Went for a 2 hour ride this morning on the TCR. I don't have much to compare it to, but I will say the shimano 105-5700 group is like magic compared to my 80s bianchi with indexed campagnolo shifters. The aluminum frame did feel harsher over very rough surfaces (vs. columbus steel) but overall the ride is smoother than my bianchi. Geometry wise I have no complaints.

Well, of course. Enjoy.

I am also looking to try a Felt F75 and Cannondale CAAD10-5. Can't try either, as neither shop has 2012 stock yet. Will report back once they do.

You're choosing an awful lot of stiff bikes. Are you looking to race? If you like the feel of steel, but want something more modern and lighter, look at the Jamis Quest I still think it is the single best riding bike under $2000 on the market today.

Jamis_Quest_600_3.jpg

ameratsu

That looks like a nice bike to commute around town. I am shopping for something to do faster group rides and race with though. More than anything, I felt like comparing aluminum against steel and I wasn't actually complaining about the ride quality. It rode fine over everything I took it on this morning except the roughest stretch of pavement. Comfort wise, I would rate it above my old steel Bianchi.

edit: I think my biggest complaint with the bikes I am looking at in general (so far) is the number and size of company logos. It is completely tasteless and makes each bike look a lot more gaudy than it needs to. I would peel off most of the logos of my final choice if they didn't spray clearcoat over them.

robox

i don't mind the logos on the bike too much. they made the bike, so whatever.
but man, on bike jerseys? they don't hold back at all. it's an all out visual assault to cram as many sponsors as they can on a dude's torso. and people are pretty damn proud to be wearing 'em.

Okay I have no idea what to buy. All I know is that I have a very limited budget which is 100 dollars and I'll be riding on mostly concert but dirt as well. Any suggestions?

I'm looking for a little bit of input on a bike purchase I'm looking to make in the near future. I know I want a hybrid, but don't know if I need something with suspension or not. Since I'm going to start telecommuting for work one day a week, I've been considering just biking to work the rest of the week (only a 4-mile commute) to save on parking fees downtown, as well as getting a little more cardio exercise in. Additionally, I'd like to have something that can handle longer rides as well as the occasional sprint triathlon.

My largest concern is on how much trail riding I'd be able to do on a hybrid without suspension. While trails here in Florida aren't too technical, a lot of them can have a fair amount of roots in the path. Does that pretty much automatically negate anything without at least front suspension? The first bikes I was looking at were full suspension, but the more I think about it, I'm going to be spending a disproportionate amount of time on flat surfaces, so I probably shouldn't compromise the benefits of a bike with those kind of attributes over something recreational (trail riding) I wouldn't do more than once or twice a month at most really. I'd also like to have a fairly upright position.

I haven't visited a LBS yet, but online I've been looking and reading about the Giant Accend, Trek DS, and most recently some of the Cannondale Quick bikes.

Jobiensis

I bought a CAAD10-4 in raw/natural. I love it, unfortunately it seems like I still can't ride. 6 weeks from the accident and anything beyond rest results in me lying in bed for a day in pain. Only managed 140 miles on it in the past two weeks before my shoulder and neck froze up at work.

Seeing an orthopedic surgeon on Friday. HTFU has failed for this injury.

I have a super stupid question about the 105 FD

When I want to go from the big chainring to the small one, it goes all the way down. it seems like there are 3 steps, which would be intended for a triple front crank right? Because when i shift down, the chain rubs really bad until i shift it up one more position. So going big chainring -> small means two shifts, which i find strange.

Trim? It let's you run on some of the larger cogs on the big ring without rubbing. You need to skip past it to shift to the small chainring.

Okay I have no idea what to buy. All I know is that I have a very limited budget which is 100 dollars and I'll be riding on mostly concert but dirt as well. Any suggestions?

Craigslist or garage sales are going to be your best bet. Nothing wrong with a used bike and every once in a while I see quite the deal on Craigslist.

ameratsu

Trim? It let's you run on some of the larger cogs on the big ring without rubbing. You need to skip past it to shift to the small chainring.

The first two "settings" stay on the small chainring. Only the final click changes to the large chainring. What does trim mean?

Also nice purchase, sounds like a great bike.

brentech

Any tips on not getting scammed on Craigslist for bikes?

Make sure the frame doesn't have any cracks in it, particularly where tubes meet and they're welded together.
Then, ask for a test ride and make sure you like how you feel on it (other than a sore saddle from not riding regularly, everything should feel fairly natural if it fits you). Check that all the gears change with ease and don't clank. Even if so, that's largely a small maintenance fix that a LBS can take care of for you (see story below).
Definitely test ride the bike though to make sure nothing shouts out at you (ie. brakes work well, tires roll without looking like they're wobbling).

If they'd let you have it checked out, that's great, but I think they'd worry about being scammed too. Almost every bike shop will take a quick look at a bike at no cost if you tell them you're thinking about buying it used and just want their opinion of the condition.

This morning I decided to fix a small range of gears that weren't changing with my single touch of the gear. So I was like, well hell, I'll view this YouTube video (that was super helpful, btw - not sarcasm) and make the minor adjustment needed. While the video was great, my work was not. I fixed the gears I had problems with, but that created a snowball and everything else got worse....to the point where I had gears not only on the back derailleur acting up, but even in the front.
So I took it in to the LBS that I bought it at, and they worked it out in less than 10 minutes - including the tech riding it twice to verify after fixing front/back derailleurs. He handed it over all proud and I asked him how much: "nothing". Awesome place, works just like it did the day I got it last year.

Jobiensis

The first two "settings" stay on the small chainring. Only the final click changes to the large chainring. What does trim mean?

Also nice purchase, sounds like a great bike.

Thanks.

I'm not very good at explaining things, but trim is just moving the FD a small amount to eliminate chain rub in certain cogs while keeping it in the same chainring. I believe this is what you are feeling/seeing.

Switched to my summer tires last night, the ride is sooooo much nicer. I feel like I have a constant tailwind with my skinny tires back on.

ameratsu

Thanks.

I'm not very good at explaining things, but trim is just moving the FD a small amount to eliminate chain rub in certain cogs while keeping it in the same chainring. I believe this is what you are feeling/seeing.

Thanks for the advice.

Actually, the CAAD10-5 is on my short list, but according to a local shop, due to changes to Cannondale's warehousing in Canada they are having a hard time actually getting any Cannondales. They gave me 3-4 weeks as an ETA.

Thanks for the advice.

Actually, the CAAD10-5 is on my short list, but according to a local shop, due to changes to Cannondale's warehousing in Canada, they are having a hard time actually getting any Cannondales. They gave me 3-4 weeks an ETA.

3-4 week wait... you should just get a custom bike if it is going to take that long. Go for broke get a Serotta.

ameratsu

3-4 week wait... you should just get a custom bike if it is going to take that long. Go for broke get a Serotta.

Honestly, the TCR I currently have in my possession is very good. Went out tonight and even with 45kph winds/65kph gusts it was fast and fun to ride. Since it's a 2011 model, shop is offering it to me for $1100 ($300 off msrp). Not sure I can top that, as most 105 equipped aluminum road bikes I've looked at run $1500-$1600.

I need to decide if I buy it tomorrow, or if I wait to try out the offerings from Felt and Cannondale, by which time the TCR could sell to someone else as it's the last one. I could always buy a 2012 TCR, sure, but it would be more expensive, look worse (paint scheme), and have slightly downgraded components.

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
I have a bicycle pump. It's a short cylinder, about the length of a small water bottle. The thing is fucking USELESS. When I plug it in the air chamber, it does a great job at removing air. Then I pump like crazy and nothing happens.

How the heck does it work? It's the ones that you pull, then push, and it makes a "tikl" sound every time you pump.

I have a bicycle pump. It's a short cylinder, about the length of a small water bottle. The thing is fucking USELESS. When I plug it in the air chamber, it does a great job at removing air. Then I pump like crazy and nothing happens.

How the heck does it work? It's the ones that you pull, then push, and it makes a "tikl" sound every time you pump.

Those types of pumps usually have a shitty max psi, around 90. They generally only work on MTBs. Buy a floor pump. And when you're mobile use CO2 cartridges (they cost less than 2 bucks nowadays)

Ra1den

Can anybody recommend good chain lube? I'm about to do a serious cleaning of my chain with one of those park tools, and will be needing to lube it up. Preferably something long lasting as opposed to performance oriented, as I just commute with it. It's a mountain/road bike(called a hybrid I think?). I sometimes ride in the rain, but not all that often.

My chain has some small rust forming from riding last winter, and it's been sitting in the garage for a few months.

Serotta is notorious for long wait times. As one who sold them for years, i can attest to sudden changes in delivery times as the norm.

Still make amazing bikes though!

Been out every night since it started getting warm in Toronto. Loving every second of it :D

194d9a84722511e1b9f1123138140926_7.jpg

If you're going to do a ton of night riding, I'd suggest getting a second rear light, or switching to one that will mount on your seat bag. Between the bag and fender, I'd imagine that a great deal of the light currently being put out is being blocked.

And while we're sharing, here is my current favorite bike!

MUfam.jpg

ePmcD.jpg

Over 10,000 miles on it and still loving it!

Rei_Toei

Fclvat sbe Pnanqn, ru?
Maybe it's been posted/discussed already, but some of you might be interested in the kickstarter project revolights. I donated some money and I really hope they realize it - looks so cool :).

tumblr_lpcilh1N1I1ql5kun.jpg

cbox

If you're going to do a ton of night riding, I'd suggest getting a second rear light, or switching to one that will mount on your seat bag. Between the bag and fender, I'd imagine that a great deal of the light currently being put out is being blocked.

True, I'm waiting for my two lights in the mail now :) Two cool strobes that will wrap around my rear support bars, should provide enough visibility.

I mainly ride on trails and backways in and around me, there's hardly any traffic. I avoid roads at all costs, too dangerous near me.

True, I'm waiting for my two lights in the mail now :) Two cool strobes that will wrap around my rear support bars, should provide enough visibility.

I mainly ride on trails and backways in and around me, there's hardly any traffic. I avoid roads at all costs, too dangerous near me.

Good to hear. You can never have too many lights! :D

Animal

Banned
Honestly, the TCR I currently have in my possession is very good. Went out tonight and even with 45kph winds/65kph gusts it was fast and fun to ride. Since it's a 2011 model, shop is offering it to me for $1100 ($300 off msrp). Not sure I can top that, as most 105 equipped aluminum road bikes I've looked at run $1500-$1600.

I need to decide if I buy it tomorrow, or if I wait to try out the offerings from Felt and Cannondale, by which time the TCR could sell to someone else as it's the last one. I could always buy a 2012 TCR, sure, but it would be more expensive, look worse (paint scheme), and have slightly downgraded components.

Do it.

TheBear

I'm thinking about buying a bicycle and riding to work. However I haven't ridden a bicycle since I was ten, and am not exactly fit or confident enough to just go straight out on main roads. The quickest path to work would involve going up a main highway, but I'm not sure that would be a good way to start.
Where should I start? I'm going to visit the local bike shop to get some ideas about what type of bike to get (thinking a hybrid), what else should I be considering? What gear do I need etc.? Any help would be appreciated.

Cheers!

I'm thinking about buying a bicycle and riding to work. However I haven't ridden a bicycle since I was ten, and am not exactly fit or confident enough to just go straight out on main roads. The quickest path to work would involve going up a main highway, but I'm not sure that would be a good way to start.
Where should I start? I'm going to visit the local bike shop to get some ideas about what type of bike to get (thinking a hybrid), what else should I be considering? What gear do I need etc.? Any help would be appreciated.

Cheers!

Where to ride:
I would try some googling, if it's a reasonably sized city I bet you can find some suggested routes. Also check if there's a city cycling website, they will often have cycling maps which list streets with bike lanes on them.

Bikes:
I'd definitely recommend going to a few local bike shops. Basically tell them what you said here, listen to what they say--chances are one of them will click with you and can really help you get going. Hybrid is probably best. Will you have a secure place to lock it up at work? How far are you riding? Make sure you shop around, worst thing you can do is buy a bike that doesn't fit quite right.

Gear:
Helmet, gloves (probably), lock (if applicable), fenders if it gets wet there, lights if you ride when it's a bit dark, and so forth.

Curtisaur

Forum Landmine
I need a cheap replacement bike.

Thinking of going single speed even though I've only ever ridden with gears. I don't give a shit with people thinking I'm a hipster, or I guess a wannabe-hipster since it wouldn't be a fixie, or whatever the fuck because I just need something. I live in Richmond, VA and it's fairly hilly. Single-speed would be less expensive. Can anyone chime in on a fairly weak biker going to single speed? I like the idea of the simplicity behind it and not feeling like I have to baby my bike. I'm sorta intimidated by the fact that it would be a single speed, though.

I don't know. What would y'all do if in a pinch for money and a necessity for a replacement as soon as possible? Seems like the only smart option.

Here's what I'm looking at right now for a single speed:

http://agees.com/product/11se-racing-draft-80744-1.htm

Edit: Doing research I'm reading that the high tensile steel frame/fork suck apparently and aren't much, if any, better than a bike from Wal-Mart. Hng. Being in a tough spot sucks.

ameratsu

Thinking of going single speed even though I've only ever ridden with gears. I don't give a shit with people thinking I'm a hipster, or I guess a wannabe-hipster since it wouldn't be a fixie, or whatever the fuck because I just need something. I live in Richmond, VA and it's fairly hilly. Single-speed would be less expensive. Can anyone chime in on a fairly weak biker going to single speed? I like the idea of the simplicity behind it and not feeling like I have to baby my bike. I'm sorta intimidated by the fact that it would be a single speed, though.

Have you looked into buying something used? It would allow you to get something of decent quality within your budget.

Antagon

My current bike is a piece of shit, so I'm looking for a replacement. Might pick up this one soon:

3MV1q1nUMAC3NuBSHmpkjA==.jpg

Still love the style, still considering buying a new one instead of second hand as well.

ameratsu

So this Giant TCR is now mine. After 2 thorough test rides, including one with 45kph headwinds, it felt mostly good with the exception of the stock Michelin Sports. Had to the shop put on Conti GP 4000 tires for an extra $40 total. Waiting on a tail light and bike computer that I bought online. Going for a fitting next week after I put some more miles on it.

QDVKdl.jpg

Fixed1979

So this Giant TCR is now mine. After 2 thorough test rides, including one with 45kph headwinds, it felt mostly good with the exception of the stock Michelin Sports. Had to the shop put on Conti GP 4000 tires for an extra $40 total. Waiting on a tail light and bike computer that I bought online. Going for a fitting next week after I put some more miles on it.

QDVKdl.jpg

Congrats! I'm sure it'll serve you well.

Jzero

QDVKdl.jpg

Great buy. You'll have fun with it! Conti GP 4000s are good tires. They're more durable than, say, the Michelin Pro 3 (another popular tire).

Shimano 105 is a nice group. In general, it's best to spend more on the frame than to go all-out on the components. I sometimes see people riding cheap Raleigh frames with Dura-ace, which is a waste IMO. The only difference between 105 and Dura-ace is weight anyways (and weight really isn't that important unless you live in the Alps).

As far as fitting goes, try to get your knee angle at around 140-145 degrees when your foot is at the bottom of the pedal stroke. And fore-aft position... putting it too far forward can hurt your knees, but it does provide more power. So put it as far forward as your knee and sit position allows (without overdoing it, of course--you'll want your weight evenly distributed).

Those look so bad ass, way too expensive though. i have these cheap things for the time being.

Get a Planetbike Superflash if u need a rear light that does the job and will not break down.

Anyways, do you guys think my bike chain will get messed up if i put this on it since it's not made specifically for bikes?

Nah, you're fine. It's probably the same stuff as the bike-specific lube anyways.

Kraftwerk

Great buy. You'll have fun with it! Conti GP 4000s are good tires. They're more durable than, say, the Michelin Pro 3 (another popular tire).

Shimano 105 is a nice group. In general, it's best to spend more on the frame than to go all-out on the components. I sometimes see people riding cheap Raleigh frames with Dura-ace, which is a waste IMO. The only difference between 105 and Dura-ace is weight anyways (and weight really isn't that important unless you live in the Alps).

As far as fitting goes, try to get your knee angle at around 140-145 degrees when your foot is at the bottom of the pedal stroke. And fore-aft position... putting it too far forward can hurt your knees, but it does provide more power. So put it as far forward as your knee and sit position allows (without overdoing it, of course--you'll want your weight evenly distributed).

He should just get a fitting done anyway, by a professional bike fitter. Fitting takes about 1 hour. They will put you in the most optimal position. WIll make a ton of difference.

And:

Don't' hate on Raleigh D:< The Raleigh International comes with Dura-ace, which is a 16lb STEEL bike. They make great stuff. The Walmart Raleigh's are completely different bikes.

andycapps

I don't know. What would y'all do if in a pinch for money and a necessity for a replacement as soon as possible? Seems like the only smart option.

Here's what I'm looking at right now for a single speed:

http://agees.com/product/11se-racing-draft-80744-1.htm

Edit: Doing research I'm reading that the high tensile steel frame/fork suck apparently and aren't much, if any, better than a bike from Wal-Mart. Hng. Being in a tough spot sucks.

I don't know anything about that bike, but you're probably going to get what you pay for there. Check Craigslist and see if you can find anything for around that price. I really like having my single speed. I had a mountain bike before and hated always fooling with the derailleurs and everything else. Most of the time I'd leave it in one or two gears anyway. My bike is really fun to ride and requires no maintenance other than putting air in the tires.

On a ride with a friend last week he popped a chain when changing gears and while working on the bike in the dark I was really glad that I made the switch. That said, I'd like to also have a road bike eventually for really long rides.

As far as your strength in using a single speed.. It all depends on how big of a chainring you have. Mine is pretty great for flat ground and slight hills, but the top speed isn't super great. I think it's a 44. I might change up to a 48 this summer, but I need a new crankset as well if I do that.

andycapps

Having an issue with the tubes on my bike. I got a Zefal pump a couple weeks ago and it's a good pump, but the nozzle seems really tight on the tubes. The issue I'm having is that when I pull the pump nozzle off I have to pull and twist and it has ripped the tire stem out twice now.

Is there something I should do like put some type of oil in the nozzle each time so it doesn't get stuck?

Top Bottom