• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bicycle age

Good ride utterly ruined by massive attitude from one of my nephews. Started off shit (he went into it with completely the wrong mentality), then was actually really good (trying properly hard on hills, doing techy bits too). Stopped for lunch, set off again.... BAM, suddenly everything's too hard, wouldn't even stay on the bike down hills (not technical stuff). Pushing everywhere... just ridiculous.

Pulled massive chunks out of the ride, then amazingly when we got back to where he recognised he was suddenly pushing serious speed again, on flats and on hills. Add to that a whole bunch of other attitude that's not worth covering... will be a long time before I go out with him again.

7 hours of hell. Believe it or not I do this for fun. :(

Is there a good app for trails? I hate that strava shows you a detailed map in some spots but not in others. I was trying to find more places to go but had no clue what I was on or not. OpenStreetMaps has some good details, but finding a good app using it is hard.

Is there a good app for trails? I hate that strava shows you a detailed map in some spots but not in others. I was trying to find more places to go but had no clue what I was on or not. OpenStreetMaps has some good details, but finding a good app using it is hard.

Not really, no. In the UK we can pretty much go on any bridleway, but finding the good ones is a matter of trial and error. I'd argue that your best best is having a look at strava heatmaps in the areas near you and making up a trail (use gpsies or something similar) by hand to follow.

Short of that, join a local club, or just randomly keep riding in different directions until you find good stuff (I was doing this today at points to stop me losing my mind).

Not really, no. In the UK we can pretty much go on any bridleway, but finding the good ones is a matter of trial and error. I'd argue that your best best is having a look at strava heatmaps in the areas near you and making up a trail (use gpsies or something similar) by hand to follow.

Short of that, join a local club, or just randomly keep riding in different directions until you find good stuff (I was doing this today at points to stop me losing my mind).

I usually ride with friends, but today I was solo. I did find this one http://maps.me/en/home which has the trail maps for some spots near me.

Teggy

So tonight I ordered a pair of $200 really highly reviewed Castelli bibs because why the hell not.

I also reached out to a local high tech bike fitter to set up an appointment. I figure I don't mind dropping money on this as long as I can get it settled. If I fuck around and keep being uncomfortable on the bike I'll just ride less and that would be the real waste.

Also the funny thing about shopping for bibs online is that the ads for women's bibs often have the model topless and covering their boobs with their hands. Because I guess women don't wear anything under their jerseys? ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Laekon

So tonight I ordered a pair of $200 really highly reviewed Castelli bibs because why the hell not.

I also reached out to a local high tech bike fitter to set up an appointment. I figure I don't mind dropping money on this as long as I can get it settled. If I fuck around and keep being uncomfortable on the bike I'll just ride less and that would be the real waste.

Also the funny thing about shopping for bibs online is that the ads for women's bibs often have the model topless and covering their boobs with their hands. Because I guess women don't wear anything under their jerseys? ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Assos is the only company I've seen do this and they stopped awhile ago.

Mascot

Glad I didn't go for the Whyte. Is ugly in person. Weight was right too... 13.2kg. Bizarre.

Ha, not sure I like the raw carbon on the Spectral either. At least you wouldn't worry about scratches.

Unrelated... properly gutted about my Canyon order now... but I guess not as gutted as I'd have been had it arrived and I hated it.

I'm half tempted to just buy some used full suss and wait for Hope's carbon beast that's coming next year.

The weight of the T130 CRS is truly puzzling, but most reviews say it rides lighter than the scales suggest. I'd never let aesthetics put me off a highly-rated bike purchase, unless they were extreme (like a day-glo pink frame, or something). The praise for the T130 is universal, especially for UK trails - why not have a look at the Ali version and potentially save a wedge of cash?

Why did you cancel the Spectral order? That's another bike I'm really interested in.

I haven't yet, I'm looking for alternatives, but they're at least a grand more for the same spec from what I've seen.

The reason for the cancellation would be because the Canyon frame looks like this (bad cameraphone photos):

14424824_10153936429484786_2616248067898536780_o.jpg

14435162_10153936430234786_2072983456350047162_o.jpg

Looks terrible, and you're doing to have absolutely no way of telling if you've stressed the frame in a crash because it already looks fucked.

Compare to what Hope are doing...

14434934_10153936432949786_7188984532868899764_o.jpg

As for the Whyte... I'm not aware of anyone that's ridden the 2017 T130 C yet. At least not from the magazines I read. Either way, I just can't bring myself to spend that sort of money on a bike 2kg+ heavier than the bike I currently have that's made out of aluminium.

Oh, and the current thinking is to buy used and maybe go batshit mental and buy the Hope next year (and never, ever tell the missus what it cost).

Mascot

The Hope project will be £10k+, I reckon. Maybe more. I don't know how many of those they are planning on making but I don't think it's for mass consumption. Doesn't the coil shock suggest it's a gravity bike too?

That Canyon finish is very, very odd. It's not their 'normal' Stealth finish from the bikes I was looking at Swinley yesterday. Are you sure it wasn't just mill-finish naked carbon with mould release compound on it, prior to painting, just as a tech demo or something? Although it's weird that there are Canyon logos all over it. Did you talk to any Canyon reps about it?

Edit: is the show worth a visit next year?

The Hope project will be £10k+, I reckon. Maybe more. I don't know how many of those they are planning on making but I don't think it's for mass consumption. Doesn't the coil shock suggest it's a gravity bike too?

Nah, I spoke to the guy on the stand at length. He reckons about £7k for the hope model, and a little more for the super fancy Ohlins version. It's being aimed at trail / enduro (coil shock aside).

There will only be a handful made, but I'm already on the waiting list just in case.

That Canyon finish is very, very odd. It's not their 'normal' Stealth finish from the bikes I was looking at Swinley yesterday. Are you sure it wasn't just mill-finish naked carbon with mould release compound on it, prior to painting, just as a tech demo or something? Although it's weird that there are Canyon logos all over it. Did you talk to any Canyon reps about it?

Nope, that's the final finish. If you zoom in carefully on the one on the website you'll see it's the same. I did specifically ask one of the guys on the stand. If I could get the Shimano version of the frame (Petrol blue) then I'd go for that, but I don't think they'll be willing to do that.

Edit: is the show worth a visit next year?

Not really, no. Do Bespoked or something like that. Much cooler bikes, far less tat being handed out / less hard sell on the stands.

-SG

Regarding that Canyon finish - my Tarmac also looks like that when you get really close and it was pretty off-putting when I first received it. However, I barely notice it now and don't really care anyway. I've seen several matte black bikes that seem to have a similar finish and I'm told it's just the they are painted.

But yeah, if you're spending a ton on a bike, you have to be happy with the finish. So I hope you find one you like!

Was definitely the only matt black style bike at the show that looked like that. Was very off putting.

Not just to me either, I lost count of the number of people who wondered if it was screwed up.

Mascot

Mascot, you like bike pics so here's one for you from my ride yesterday

ke3f0f5.jpg

Fuuuuuck! Are you okay? That must have been one hell of a crash to bend the bars like that.

Was definitely the only matt black style bike at the show that looked like that. Was very off putting.

Not just to me either, I lost count of the number of people who wondered if it was screwed up.

It looks like the frame on my exercise bike, where years of dripping sweat have fucked up the powder coating.

danowat

Banned
Regarding that Canyon finish - my Tarmac also looks like that when you get really close and it was pretty off-putting when I first received it. However, I barely notice it now and don't really care anyway.

My Kuota has the same, it's just a non-cosmetic weave.

Mascot

I quite like that Canyon finish, but then again I'm a fan of the industrial aesthetic. I love rusty or galvanised metal, old wood and worn leather. I made this 'thing' from a piece of scabby plywood I found on the coast and some old aluminium ashtrays. That Canyon would look great propped up below it.

thing_zpsw0zthhzy.jpg

Mascot

On the plus side, there might be a whole raft of barely-used 2017 Spectrals on the market soon. And Canyon could hopefully have a load of new ones for sale dirt cheap this time next year.

You better love them sweet tanwalls.

Also, as a user of Lidl shorts, they have a slight issue of body hair eventually going right through them even when they're the right size.

Not to bum you out, but I've read a lot of iffy reviews on Castelli bibs. Apparently the padding is just not great and will break down within a year

Castelli bibs are also made in sizes only suitable for the tiniest, slimmest little Italian boys.

Unrelated... I've not seen suffering like this since I was back in 'Nam.

0f0ecf052723dab371d2f4akll.png

Was my nephew (believe it or not, a teenager), when we got to what was supposed to be the highlight of the ride (the jump park).

Laekon

I haven't yet, I'm looking for alternatives, but they're at least a grand more for the same spec from what I've seen.

The reason for the cancellation would be because the Canyon frame looks like this (bad cameraphone photos):

Looks terrible, and you're doing to have absolutely no way of telling if you've stressed the frame in a crash because it already looks fucked.

Compare to what Hope are doing...

What you see on the Hope frame is purely cosmetic. 3/4K weave carbon is not used for structural purposes as its heavy and not as precise to use. What you see on the Canyon is the unidirectional carbon without anything done to make it look pretty. It actually has a purpose beyond the looks. Your not going to be able to tell if you stressed a carbon frame by looking at it unless there is a crack or deformity. The deformity will normal be in the clear coat. Sound is a better indicator most of the time but hard to use if you don't know whats normal.

I went along with their size chart. Maybe I'll go with underwear on for a first try just to make sure they are not totally off the mark.

Wait, have you been wearing underwear this entire time?!!?

Castelli also is notoriously small. I measured a medium but ordered a large and the large still feels snug.

Addnan

Wait, what?

o_O

bib shorts are supposed to be against your skin. underwear will just make you chafe. though do people test without underwear and then return.. eww

I saw on reddit a guy was giving away his bib shorts and was thinking do people share underwear. nasty.

Teggy

Wait, have you been wearing underwear this entire time?!!?

Castelli also is notoriously small. I measured a medium but ordered a large and the large still feels snug.

Wait, what?

o_O

bib shorts are supposed to be against your skin. underwear will just make you chafe. though do people test without underwear and then return.. eww

I saw on reddit a guy was giving away his bib shorts and was thinking do people share underwear. nasty.

nononononono

I meant that I would try them on for basic size first wearing underwear so if they are incredibly small they won't have touched my junk and I can return them.

teepo

i adore my castelli kit and based on what i've seen, it seems to be the brand of choice for the more experienced riders in the dc area.

just do your research. when it comes to kits, the majority of negative reviews come from people undersizing which can also lead to bibs and jerseys to rip and fall apart, especially the more delicate ones.

another advice i'd give is to stick to brands that sponsor professional teams. at least you'll have some assurance that they put some thought into their chamois design. i also tend to completely avoid boutique brands when it comes to bibs, which really breaks my heart sometimes because they often have the best looking kits out there.

and for note, my favorite chamois thus far are lg's motion5 and castelli's progetto x2 air. no amount of research would've lead me to figuring that out, only a large investment throughout the years. i plan on buying assos, girodana and rapha kits sometime in the next year or two, so hopefully they live up to the hype

No way in hell this bike is worth $4500
http://www.ebay.com/itm/VERY-RARE-B...408749?hash=item2ef3f4e5ed:g:~JEAAOSwAL9UcqcK

Why would you buy that when you can buy a brand new, modern bike.

On the subject of boutique brands:

I've been on TwinSix bibs for the last 3 years, which I found out this year are just rebranded Voler products. I am however not finding them as comfortable as I once did and all I can think of is body shape changing a bit. This is their cheaper version, so next year I'm going to try the step up and see if it's any better. The chamois just feels like it's swimming a bit more than previous years.

I did try out a pair from OrNot this year and am pleasantly surprised. They were more than I've been spending, but have been super comfortable. I think they're rated for 6 hours, but I haven't had them on for that long yet. I'm finding i much prefer the compression material to that of lycra/spandex. The pad is also a bit more minimal and tapers as it goes forward.

I want to try Assos, Hincapie and Rapha but I'm so 50/50 on dropping $200-250 on something that might not work out.

Top Bottom