• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bicycle age

HTupolev

Now that my Bridgestone RB-T is in a rideable condition, I guess I sort of N+1'd.

The RB-T was nominally a touring bike and I have definitely not weight-weenieified it, so it being 25lbs as pictured isn't so terrible. It'll have quite a bit of heft once it's got fenders and spares, though.

kqQJZgT.jpg

While the housing spewing forth from the handlebars is an impressively sloppy mess...

rOTBRoX.jpg

...after cutting it, the remaining red shifter housing was exactly the length I wanted for the rear derailleur.

LCZ1oNF.jpg

By the way, as far as actually important matters are concerned:

1-That SunRace freewheel gets maybe a 2/10 for acoustics. The clicks oscillate in volume, and the whole thing spits out somewhat rattly vibes.

2-I made sure that all of the cable crimps I used were fast.
I also made sure to use crimps that were a fast color.

5Mna3gq.jpg

You could save 0.2 of a gram if you cut down that cable to a decent length.

Unrelated, The Overcompensator has had it's shakedown ride. I'm pretty happy with it, though I do have to make a number of tweaks.

I've also worked out that I'm shit at pacing my climbs if I can't check my cadence, so I've got to get another speed / cadence sensor sharpish.

...and yes, photos are coming. I need a shower first.

Before

img_4325jcsiv.jpg

After

img_4328hwsij.jpg

img_4329vwsga.jpg

Thanks to some biblical rain at the end of my forest section, it actually came back pretty clean.

Yeah, lets not start on the clip thing.

...and no, it's a cross country race bike that'll mostly have bikepacking gear attached to it, so droppers aren't really an option.

danowat

Banned
I know this thread is mainly an MTB zone, and roadies are seen with suspicious eyes, I thought this was worth a mention.

Steven Abraham has broken the UMCA 30-Day cycling mileage world record of 6,679.8-miles, thats an average of 222.66 miles a day.

Impressive stuff.

I know this thread is mainly an MTB zone, and roadies are seen with suspicious eyes, I thought this was worth a mention.

Steven Abraham has broken the UMCA 30-Day cycling mileage world record of 6,679.8-miles, thats an average of 222.66 miles a day.

Impressive stuff.

Damn, how long was he riding each day?

I figured speed wasn't an issue, but was more just curious how much time each day. I've always felt that if you can ride forever if you manage your speed properly.

danowat

Banned
I figured speed wasn't an issue, but was more just curious how much time each day. I've always felt that if you can ride forever if you manage your speed properly.

Even so, 14hrs and 200 miles a day for 30 days isn't to be sniffed at!, plus the wind has been pretty keen the last week.

I'm actually surprised that isn't a chunk higher. It's not a huge amount more than the mileage per day for the year record (209 miles).

That'll be broken in short order I'd imagine.

danowat

Banned
I'm actually surprised that isn't a chunk higher. It's not a huge amount more than the mileage per day for the year record (209 miles).

That'll be broken in short order I'd imagine.

Considering he had to abort his year record due to getting knocked off his bike, I'd imagine he was being a little conservative, I'd imagine he's gearing up for another crack at the year record.

I get knackered doing 200 miles a week, let alone a day!

I forgot to say. Some cunt in a truck pushed me off the road this morning. We were heading towards single lane roadworks and he clearly couldn't deal with losing 30 seconds so he pulled alongside me and gave me a choice between going the other side of the cones or under his wheels.

Had he got caught in traffic further down the road I would have climbed up into the fucker's cab. I don't know how you roadies deal with it.

danowat

Banned
I forgot to say. Some cunt in a truck pushed me off the road this morning. We were heading towards single lane roadworks and he clearly couldn't deal with losing 30 seconds so he pulled alongside me and gave me a choice between going the other side of the cones or under his wheels.

Had he got caught in traffic further down the road I would have climbed up into the fucker's cab. I don't know how you roadies deal with it.

You get used to it, I was in a shared bus cycle lane the other morning, the bus behind me just held his hand on the horn, at the next set of traffic lights I politely explained that it was a shared bus / cycle lane.

(Well, that's how I had planned it to go, but I saw red and torn a strip of him)

Mascot

I know this thread is mainly an MTB zone, and roadies are seen with suspicious eyes

I'd have said this thread was a lot more Jimmy-centric, to be honest. And you lot are only viewed with suspicion because you basically cycle naked.

I forgot to say. Some cunt in a truck pushed me off the road this morning.

I fucking hate my fellow motorists when I'm on a bike, and it seems to be getting worse. I had the skin shaved from my elbows by a fucking driving instructor a few weeks ago.

Nice bike, btw. Those Canyons are classy machines.

Norfair

I'd have said this thread was a lot more Jimmy-centric, to be honest.

The majority of the people in the thread might be road bikers but since you and Pycho make up a majority of the posting I think it gives the illusion of being mountain bike centric.

You want whatever fits your budget and is supported by TrainerRoad I'd guess...

https://www.trainerroad.com/virtual-power

I imagine most of that list would be now though. Both of the ones in the budget trainer section look solid, and if they don't suit, you could always go for the old faithful Kurt Kinetic Road Machine (you'll need a speed / cadence sensor to go with that, and if you're using a computer to run trainerroad, a dongle).

Ok, cool thanks. They all seem available to me. (I will do a deeper dive on places to get it soon)

Kinetic Road Machine 2.0 Fluid Trainer
https://www.unitedcycle.com/road-machine-20-fluid-trainer

ELITE QUBO DIGITAL SMART B+ TRAINER
https://www.mec.ca/en/product/5047-920/QUBO-Digital-Smart-B+-Trainer (might not be available anymore)

Tacx Satori Smart
https://www.mec.ca/en/product/5050-647/Satori-Smart-Trainer

Thanks for the help!

Ok, cool thanks. They all seem available to me. (I will do a deeper dive on places to get it soon)

Kinetic Road Machine 2.0 Fluid Trainer
https://www.unitedcycle.com/road-machine-20-fluid-trainer

ELITE QUBO DIGITAL SMART B+ TRAINER
https://www.mec.ca/en/product/5047-920/QUBO-Digital-Smart-B+-Trainer (might not be available anymore)

Tacx Satori Smart
https://www.mec.ca/en/product/5050-647/Satori-Smart-Trainer

Thanks for the help!

IF you're looking at the Tacx I'd spend the extra and go to the Vortex

IF you're looking at the Tacx I'd spend the extra and go to the Vortex

Good to know!

I'm honestly just looking for a good starter one. Which means I don't know what I want I just don't want to spend loads of money. Haha.

The only thing I can think of for things I want, is that I don't want to have to buy a bunch of extra stuff on top of the trainer, like cadence things or whatever. I just want to put my bike it in, Bluetooth it up to my phone and go. Haha.

Good to know!

I'm honestly just looking for a good starter one. Which means I don't know what I want I just don't want to spend loads of money. Haha.

The only thing I can think of for things I want, is that I don't want to have to buy a bunch of extra stuff on top of the trainer, like cadence things or whatever. I just want to put my bike it in, Bluetooth it up to my phone and go. Haha.

The Vortex is a "smarter" trainer than the one you linked to. If you use it with software like TrainerRaod or Zwift it can auto adjust the resistance based on the workout. You literally just pedal.

Mascot

I must admit, I can't blame you Jimmies for wanting to cycle within the relative safety of your own homes. It's a fucking war zone out there on the roads.

The Vortex is a "smarter" trainer than the one you linked to. If you use it with software like TrainerRaod or Zwift it can auto adjust the resistance based on the workout. You literally just pedal.

Ahh ok cool. The Vortex seems a little more difficult to find here, but it sounds like it's worth looking for.

I must admit, I can't blame you Jimmies for wanting to cycle within the relative safety of your own homes. It's a fucking war zone out there on the roads.

I only do it in the winter my friend.

Yeah, winter. I'm in Edmonton Canada, it can get to -40°C here, and super snowy. Haha. Inside is nice :p

Hmmm.... this might be getting out of hand now. haha. 700 bucks for a trainer, and 12 bucks a month for the app. I should maybe dial back my plans a bit. haha.

If say I didnt want to spend so much, what is like a super good really basic one. Maybe I dont even really need to track anything, just get some resistance so I can sit on it and peddle for a while.

Maybe like a Tacs Blue Twist? haha. Maybe Blue Matic? Maybe I could even add a sensor later if there is any apps that are free, haha. It's likely that I will hook it up to a trainer around November, and leave it in there until april, so I shouldnt worry about having to attach extra stuff like sensors.

HTupolev

If say I didnt want to spend so much, what is like a super good really basic one.
A balaclava mask and wool socks.

:D

If you drink vodka instead of water, your beverage won't freeze as fast.

Maybe Blue Matic?
Seems well-reviewed. The only complaint appears to be that the highest level of resistance isn't high enough to simulate truly epic ascents.

Mascot

Hmmm.... this might be getting out of hand now. haha. 700 bucks for a trainer, and 12 bucks a month for the app. I should maybe dial back my plans a bit. haha.

If say I didnt want to spend so much, what is like a super good really basic one. Maybe I dont even really need to track anything, just get some resistance so I can sit on it and peddle for a while.

Maybe like a Tacs Blue Twist? haha. Maybe Blue Matic? Maybe I could even add a sensor later if there is any apps that are free, haha. It's likely that I will hook it up to a trainer around November, and leave it in there until april, so I shouldnt worry about having to attach extra stuff like sensors.
My static exercise bike cost me forty quid, and I don't wear out the components on my real bikes when I use it.

A balaclava mask and wool socks.

:D

If you drink vodka instead of water, your beverage won't freeze as fast.

Seems well-reviewed. The only complaint appears to be that the highest level of resistance isn't high enough to simulate truly epic ascents.

Yeah I could go up to the Blue Motion too. Or honestly the Satori Smart isn't out of the question at 500.

I just don't want to keep going higher And higher, and I really don't want to pay for an app. Free Strava works great for me right now, so hopefully there is a good free option for a trainer too.

My static exercise bike cost me forty quid, and I don't wear out the components on my real bikes when I use it.

Yeah, I would but my apartment isn't that big, and I already have to store a bike and a rowing machine.

Mascot

Been fighting flu-like symptoms all week so haven't ridden since last Sunday, but feel up to it today and the weather is perfect: clear blue skies, not a breath of wind, and 15C. The woods will be bloody muddy though so fully expecting a quagmire. The forecast is good all week so I think I might take every afternoon off work and get a good block of autumn rides in before winter takes hold. I gave the old beast a good service yesterday, stripping down the wheel bearings, tuning the gears on the new cassette & chain, aligning the brakes and resetting the shocks. Got that new bike feels now. Nice.

teepo

heads up, performancebike.com is offering 20% off most trainers with an additional 10% cash back in performance points. from what i saw, the deal includes the elite drivo and tacx neo/bushido/vorte. unfortunately the wahoo line of trainers are excluded.

heads up, performancebike.com is offering 20% off most trainers with an additional 10% cash back in performance points. from what i saw, the deal includes the elite drivo and tacx neo/bushido/vorte. unfortunately the wahoo line of trainers are excluded.

It looks to be only lasting until the end of today

Teggy

Son of a...I could have saved $300.

Top Bottom