• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bicycle age

Mascot

No way in hell this bike is worth $4500
http://www.ebay.com/itm/VERY-RARE-B...408749?hash=item2ef3f4e5ed:g:~JEAAOSwAL9UcqcK

s-l1600.jpg

Why would you buy that when you can buy a brand new, modern bike.

It's worth whatever somebody is prepared to pay, I guess. If it is absolutely brand new then I think I'd approach Cannondale and see if they wanted it for a museum, or the dealer network to see if anyone wanted it for their shop. A mate bought a hardly-used Raven off a colleague a few months ago for £500 (he'd bought it new, then hung it on his wall for the last 20 years). My mate was using it last weekend at Swinley, actually - it's hilarious how much respect and attention it gets from anyone 30+.

Edit: this is it.

cannondale_zps75os8uzt.jpg

HTupolev

Crankset is still in pretty good shape.

4UlsCuJ.jpg

When I picked the bike up, it had SunTour AccuShift bar-end shifters. I discovered, to my dismay, that the "friction mode" on the rear shifter was actually some kind of soft indexed bullshlapskie to make up for how awful Accushift was (and, in particular, how the indexing would fall out of adjustment every time you looked at it funny). Since I have no interest in indexing a lever-shifted six speed, I replaced the shifters with the more-vintage but still-popular SunTour Power Shifter BAR-CON model LD-1400, with glorious unparalleled clickity-clack.

lcElTAm.jpg

Although most other decals are shredded, the headbadge is still looking good.

ScHUoh4.jpg

Final wheels are on the bike now. Tires chosen for sloppy-ish color matching; good enough to look like effort was had, tacky enough to be a beater rain bike.

VbNerfA.jpg

Turns out I may have misjudged things and the stem's reach perhaps isn't necessary.

Correct solution: get a stem with less reach.

HTupolev solution: order a cheap zero-setback seat post with the intention of pretending that a touring bike is an aero bike.

Exactly one year ago today, PT. Get your ass back down to Slade, and don't bring the camping gear this time!

But that giant bike rider might grind my bones to make his bread!

Unrelated (sort of?), I've lived in this area for something like 15 years now, and for the first time ever I went for a morning cycle, just to de-stress because of some work bollocks that's going on.

Was great. Though I've now got more cuts than I'd generally like to start the day with. Also, if I go out again in the autumn / winter around here, I'll be putting on a mud tire.

I stay creeping in this thread lol, couple of months ago I got into cycling and I can't stop but I had to wave the trails goodbye for the year now that it's getting dark early and I don't have the confidence to be doing that with a flashlight, do any of you guys have trainers? I'm considering using trainer road so next year I can go out and take full advantage of my area. However I can only ride for about 2 hours before I'm totally beat, do you guys think trainer road be would be too advanced? Should I just stick with stationary bikes at the gym?

TrainerRoad is awesome. No question that it's given me the fitness I have today.

Also, buy yourself some cheap lights. Night riding is awesome. :)

HTupolev

Yeah, you'll want better than that for trails... but you can do it for next to nothing thanks to eBay and China.

Thanks China!

(For comparison, that does about 200 lumens. My main light pumps out 6,000, and it's no-where near as overkill as you can get)
I'm extremely skeptical of those numbers. 6600LM is substantially more than a typical car puts out with all frontal lights on combined including high-beams. Some of the reviews on Amazon claim that it's actually only comparable to competing products that put out several hundred lumens, which sounds a lot more realistic.

edit: It seems that everything on Amazon using CREE LEDs is claiming lumens about an order of magnitude higher than what I'd expect, and the settings people say they use according to condition are what I'd expect for a light around 10 times dimmer. I'm suspicious that there's an extra-zero epidemic going around.

Perhaps. I've got a lux meter though and standard bike lights aren't even on the same planet brightness wise to some of the trail style lights I've used.

...and yes, some of them are easily akin to car lights. They just only last about 10 mins at best on that setting.

Which one is it?

Not a clue. It seemed to have a large handle and a central bar... as I said, not looked at it. :p

HTupolev

...and yes, some of them are easily akin to car lights. They just only last about 10 mins at best on that setting.
That's believable. I checked the datasheet for the CREE XM-L U2 LEDs that that light is supposedly using, and if they were run at absolute maximum current, the light would reach around half of the claimed brightness. Which is a lot like a full-blast car... and would shred right through that battery.

usctrojan

My main concern with riding at night has been being able to see potholes far enough in advance that I don't have to swerve out of the way last minute.

Will a good light be sufficient? How many lumens should I target? I'm also bummed out about the shorter days with my regular honeybee work schedule. Also, a trainer is financially out of reach for me since i just got my first bike.

Another ride this morning. I'm being good!

Not a mountain bike ride as such though. I went on a bit of a tour of the most expensive houses in Cardiff to get some inspiration. Did get to see some awesome birds of prey on the little bit of woodland I did manage.

Teggy

I guess the ANT+ dongle doesn't have a very long reach. I had to do a quick test of Zwift on my laptop because my PC is too far away. I ordered a usb extender and my real setup will use Steam Link to my 60" tv.

Definitely need to get a fan out too.

noice!

who else has a smart trainer?

I'm planning on buying a Vortex Smart after we move in a few weeks. I'd drop cash on a Neo or Kickr if I could know I'd use it more than 3-4 months a year.

I guess the ANT+ dongle doesn't have a very long reach. I had to do a quick test of Zwift on my laptop because my PC is too far away. I ordered a usb extender and my real setup will use Steam Link to my 60" tv.

Definitely need to get a fan out too.

Could be interference from mother things like Bluetooth or Wifi.

teepo

coo, when the time comes i'll be organizing some gaf zwift rides

Do those work with trainer road?

the kinetic is one of the better supported fluid trainers for trainerroad though honestly just buy a vortex smart for $150 more. the competition has seriously heated up and for some odd reason kinetic still hasn't responded with a pricedrop.

Teggy

The large castelli bib seems a decent fit. Chamois is definitely well cushioned. What would be the sign of shorts being too small, anyway? Besides them ripping when you put them on?

I've done thousands of trainer miles and I don't think I'll ever upgrade to a smart trainer. I see very little point to be honest.

...and yes, a fluid will work. Though if you want trainer recommendations, go here:

http://www.dcrainmaker.com/2015/11/2015-2016trainer-recommendations.html

Though I think he'll be doing a new one soon as there have been quite a lot of releases.

Is there something on there you would recommend for someone new to all of this stuff? Or things I should think about or have in mind when choosing?

I want to get something so I can use my bike in the upcoming winter months, but I honestly dont even know where to start.

You want whatever fits your budget and is supported by TrainerRoad I'd guess...

https://www.trainerroad.com/virtual-power

I imagine most of that list would be now though. Both of the ones in the budget trainer section look solid, and if they don't suit, you could always go for the old faithful Kurt Kinetic Road Machine (you'll need a speed / cadence sensor to go with that, and if you're using a computer to run trainerroad, a dongle).

Have now managed three days in a row! \o/

Was pretty damn slimy out there, lucky not to crash in a few places, but still a good little ride.

Looks better than a Knog milkman, which is pretty much the only option for that shit at the moment. I bet it's heavier though.

Edit - Actually, no. Impressive. I'd be tempted to buy one of those for bikepacking. But not with that fucking ridiculous shipping ($33 for a 150g item is batshit).

Mascot

PT, just a heads-up: there are decent savings on 2016 YT bikes at the moment (although prices are unfortunately in Euros, so we get raped on the exchange compared to six months ago).

Mascot

Would consider one if you could get 12 speed. I'll make do until I can make a decision on the 2017 bikes.

I'm pretty sure I'd be happy enough with 1x11 (I'm 1x10 atm and it's fine for me) so it wouldn't be a deal breaker. Internal cable routing seems to be important to me at the moment though. Not even sure why as in know it can be noisy.

Having said that, FUCK our Euro exchange rate right now or I'd be jumping on a Jeffsy at those prices. I've heard enough about it riding like a 650b to be convinced that the wheels aren't a problem.

Do you need a torque wrench on a non-carbon bike?

A lot of people don't bother with torque wrenches at all. I like the peace of mind, but I'm always surprised how low recommended torques feel. There's no doubt I was over-tightening bolts and components for decades on my bikes, and aren't aware of any problems because of it. Stripping threads is a right bastard though.

I'd either be spinning out on flats or pushing up climbs with 1x11, it just doesn't have the range I need for the size rides I do... and even 1x12 isn't ideal (steps are too big between some gears).

If it wasn't for it being a trail bike I still wouldn't even be considering it.

Welp... The Overcompensator is ready for its shakedown ride. I really, really, really hope nothing is wrong with it as I'd love to take it to the BB200.

Top Bottom