• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bicycle age

Mascot

Another great ride in warm sun this afternoon, then nice and contrastingly cool in the shade of the woods. I've no idea how long this Indian summer is going to last but I intend to make the absolute most of it in the meantime.

Just spent £300+ on a bike light. Sort of feels like I've fallen down a rabbit hole lately and there's no way out.

Also looking at £250+ jackets. =/

Mascot

Just spent £300+ on a bike light. Sort of feels like I've fallen down a rabbit hole lately and there's no way out.

Also looking at £250+ jackets. =/

I originally read that as "Just spent £300+ on a light bike", which would have been entirely reasonable.

I have some magic beans you might be interested in, PT. I'll do you a good price.

Mascot

Ha, in fairness it's one hell of a light with some properly clever tech, and I do love night riding. :)

240036b29b7c39f681be051638b377e8.jpg

Really beginning to realize if I ever want to get better on a mountain bike I need to buy one. Can't just keep borrowing one from the shop every other week. Only way I'll learn to corner well is just practicing at home.

Mascot

C Works, or Works?

Edit - There isn't a works... goddamn man, you like your expensive bikes don't you. :D

2016 or 2017?
Neither - I'm not entirely mad! It's a 2015 Works with custom Hope wheelset. The gunmetal grey one with lime green accents. Looks brand new! Alum, not carbon.

Put in another 10 miles on a mountain bike today. Tried to pay a lot of attention to center mass and laying the bike versus leaning. I can feel myself riding faster in some spots, but I still get screwed in technical climbs/descents or anything with logs.

Mascot

Another fantastic warm and sunny blast this afternoon. This weather is a real bonus.

Put in another 10 miles on a mountain bike today. Tried to pay a lot of attention to center mass and laying the bike versus leaning. I can feel myself riding faster in some spots, but I still get screwed in technical climbs/descents or anything with logs.

Admit it: you're already regretting all those wasted years spent on the Jimmy Farthing.

;)

Another fantastic warm and sunny blast this afternoon. This weather is a real bonus.

Admit it: you're already regretting all those wasted years spent on the Jimmy Farthing.

;)

I like having the variation. Most of the rideable stuff around here is pretty small distance wise: smaller loops in the 4-6 mile range or 20ish miles but requiring a lot of criss crossing.

Not all of us can have 10 hours worth of trail riding like Psycho

Mascot

That's a well balanced tyre setup. Nice.

I'm finally tubeless too, and just in time for thorn season!

Good strong wheel upgrade as well, with Hope Tech DH Pro 4 rims and Hope Pro 4 hubs front and rear. I think the only other non-standard kit is the Renthal Carbon Fatbar Lite bars and the Renthal Apex stem. Oh, and the Ergon GE1 grips. The internal cable routing is lovely.

The only way I can eat stuff like cliff bars is if it's going to be sitting down and chilling for a bit before riding again. They always take way to long for me to breakdown and digest.

From the book I highly recommend the french toast bites. I can eat them for hours on end on the bike. The cookie bar recipes are also good, but I always buy the mix

Thankfully it's not a problem for me, though it did take training.

I reckon I'm going to take the rice squares and the sandwich rolls with me this time as they're safe bets.

Mascot

Mate just sent me a picture of Lake Tahoe at dusk. He's there taking part in Grinduro, the lucky bastard.

http://grinduro.com/california/

Edited because three consecutive posts is probably a ban, but Merlin have the 2015 GT Sensor Carbon Pro 650B brand new for £2k now (in Large - the Medium is £2.2k). Very nice bike, normally £5k. I have been watching this one for a while. They've just dropped the price a lot to shift stock. That's one hell of a bike for the price. I told myself I was going to bite if it hit £2k, but then I went and bought the Whyte.

https://www.merlincycles.com/gt-sensor-carbon-pro-650b-mountain-bike-89201.html?source=aw&awc=3361_1470654339_ea31c98715926a00f81c59ebf7c802f8

23083_gt_sensor_carbon_pro_650b_mountain_bike.jpg

GT Sensor Carbon Pro 650B Mountain Bike - XT M8000 11 Speed
Maybe you fight through the week just to get to the weekends. Or maybe you train every day to battle your way to the top of every podium. Either way, the GT has your back with the hard-charging full-suspension Sensor. So go ahead, get into an all out brawl with the dirt beneath your wheels.

Built with the below specification :

Frame: COR Trail Philosophy, FOC Ultra Carbon Frame, 130mm Travel Independent Drivetrain™ Suspension System, Forged Linkage and Pivots
Forks : 2016 Rockshox Yari 130mm, Tapered, 15mm axle
Rear Shock: Fox Float CTD Kashima coated
Chainset: XT M8000 (11Spd) 34T Single ring
Cassette: XT M8000 11-42
Chain: XT M8000 11 Spd
Shifter: XT M8000 (Right side Only)
Rear Mech: XT RDM8000 GS
Brakes: XT M8000 Front and rear, 180mm Rotors
Seatpost: Rockshox Reverb Stealth 34.9mm
Saddle: SDG Duster
Wheels: Pro-Build Chosen Hub- Alex Volar Trail Wheels 27.5"
Tyres: Schwalbe Hans Damf 27.5" x 2.35" Front and rear
Handlebars: Easton Haven Carbon
Sizes: Medium and Large
Finish: Matt Black, Blue and White

Mascot

Jesus you guys and your flashy new bikes. And a Hope wheelset too, with that awesome freehub noise.

It's totally daft, but the Hope freehub noise is something I always used to covet at trail centres. It's intangibly awesome. I definitely won't need a bell on this new bike.

I know winter is on the way because I've started daydreaming about plates of hot chips soaked in salt and vinegar about one hour into my ride. Note to self: must pack more snacks for this cooler weather.

Mascot

The seat tube brace is a spot-on balance point for hanging the new bike from the mechanic stand, and perfectly sized too. By angling the clamp the bike also sits perfectly horizontally. I hate hanging from the vertical seat tube as the bike can slip unless it's clamped up super tight, which introduces other risks. This method doesn't require a super-tight clamp as the brace tube rests in the jaws. Being balanced there's no odd torques in play, either. Can anyone think why clamping here isn't a good idea? I imagine the tube is pretty thin, that's all. But it should be strong enough, yes?

1a_zpsqa5s1pal.jpg

Yeah, other than having to stop at a pub to drink everything they had because I ran out of water in the first section. Last year's was harder:

https://www.strava.com/activities/410820838

Related, last year the fastest person was 20.7% faster than me. This year, 16.5% faster than me. Definite progress. I reckon without injury it probably would have been more like 12%. Would love to try and get my time to within 10% of them next year, but it's going to rely on not fucking myself up. :(

Top Bottom