• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bicycle age

Do you guys keep the typical leg angle for mountain bike that you'd go for on a road bike? It seems like when I go for that angle I have way too much seat under neath me, but dropping the post ends up my quads screaming.

Short answer... you shouldn't ever be sitting on descents.

Longer answer, unless you know you're going on a full on downhill (when you'd manually drop your seat, or use a dropper), you should have your seat height at only a cm or so less than you would on a road bike.

Mascot

Do you guys keep the typical leg angle for mountain bike that you'd go for on a road bike? It seems like when I go for that angle I have way too much seat under neath me, but dropping the post ends up my quads screaming.

I've always used the heel-on-pedal-leg-straight method, then drop it a cm or so.

Ah ok, that's kind of what I've been doing. The dropper post does make it nice and easy to quickly move between the positions, but right now since it's a loaner it's not a simple up/down.

I just want to be able to work more on body weight / hip positioning in tight turns and I'm finding it a bit more difficult when the seat is at my normal leg length. A lot of what I ride is narrow, twisting paths so the better I can get at that quick weight shift the faster I'll get

Mascot

Gratuitous photo time: got medieval on its ass this afternoon. Warm and sunny, middle of October. All that hairspray I used on my mullet in the 1980s did wonders for global warming.

1a1a1a1a_zpsyjdveglw.jpg

bosseye

Hello everyone.

Does anyone have any experience of Canyon Mountain bikes? I've been looking to buy a full suss. I've got a hardtail Mondraker at the mo - I love the geometry so I've been looking at the Foxy's, but the Canyons are vastly better value. I get that they're direct from the manufacturer but they do seem very cheap for the specs you get. Looking at the Strive Al 6 or 7 range ideally. Roady biking friend of mine said they had some reliability issues?

I have two (I've ordered a third, but I'm cancelling it because I didn't like the paint job in person). They're ridiculous value, though I can't speak much about their customer service (all I've ever had to do was get them to send me a mech hanger that they forgot).

They haven't had any notable reliability issues, what they did have was a ridiculous order backlog which left people waiting nearly half a year for their bikes, but supposedly they've put a lot of work into fixing it (for what it's worth, I got my bikes exactly when they said I'd get them).

My nephew has the Strive. Is a great bit of kit.

bosseye

Thanks for the info. Issue now seems to be getting hold of one in my size. I wanted the Strive 7 (non race version) for the Fox 36 forks but I'd need an XL size of which there are none.....presumably clearing 2016 stock, not sure. Ah well, I can wait.

Mascot

Thanks for the info. Issue now seems to be getting hold of one in my size. I wanted the Strive 7 (non race version) for the Fox 36 forks but I'd need an XL size of which there are none.....presumably clearing 2016 stock, not sure. Ah well, I can wait.

Yeah, I don't think the 2017 Strives are up for sale yet. They are either holding them back to clear 2016 stock or they aren't ready yet. Or has the Strive been replaced by the Neuron for 2017? I seem to remember reading something about that, but might be wrong. Canyon lump their 2016 and 2017 bikes in together (see the Spectral section), but the 2017 ones are labelled as such. You can buy with confidence from Canyon - by all accounts they are fantastic bikes and great value, but there are plenty of stories about shipping dates slipping. They are selling in the USA for the first time now (or soon) so delays might get longer as demand increases. They are effectively doubling their market so there could also be quality issues as manufacture is ramped up or as frames are outsourced to new Far East fabricators. It's by no means inevitable but worth considering.

Look at the Spectral if you've been looking at the Strive.

Also, look at YT Industries as similarly-priced German direct-sale bikes. These are also highly rated.

Mascot

Fucking Android update has totally borked my battery management. I normally burn through about 25% of my phone charge during a 2.5 hour ride with a podcast on via earbuds and Strava recording. After this morning's update the battery completely drained with over five miles still left. Fuckity fucktwat fuckage of fuckplop.

Mascot

Two yesterday cunts:

1. Cunt number one was a male cunt parked in a flatbed truck in a layby by the side of a narrow lane. The cunt decides to suddenly pull out to do a three-point turn without looking, forcing me into a two-wheel skid to avoid hitting the side of the cunt's cab. Called him a cunt. Cunt!

2. Cunt number two was a female cunt who overtook me in her cunty little car when joining a roundabout. I was going straight ahead, but this cunt then turned sharp left across me, forcing me to brake sharply. Called her a cunt. Cunt!

Seriously, I don't know why you roadies invite this life-threatening thundercuntery into your leisure pursuit. I have to do very short stints on quiet roads to get to the woods but it is getting to the stage now where I'm seriously considering buying an old shitbox Land Rover or something to chuck the bike in and head there in safety. A lot of my fellow drivers are utter, utter ignorant fucking cunts.

HTupolev

roundabout
Ugh.

Any time someone argues that self-driving cars are a bad idea on the grounds that computers couldn't possibly have the spatial awareness of humans, I want to tell them to ride a bicycle through a roundabout.

For some reason, they're an incredibly strong demonstrator of both
1-humans suck at guessing speeds and predicting trajectories, and
2-the brain aggressively filters things so that people often fail to see things that they look at, such as other road users.

Mascot

It does scare me how some drivers seem to just blast through roundabouts, relying on their peripheral vision. I've had quite a few idiots having to slam their anchors on because they didn't see me crossing their path until the very last moment. The one I do daily has a downhill approach, just to make matters worse.

The Fat One has arrived! I heard a lot of criticism of these bikes arriving in bad shape, but this one was just like ordering from Wiggle or whatever, everything in perfect shape including gear indexing. The only thing I had to set up was front brake disc clearance. I guess they're learning.

It weighs a ridiculous 17kg with platform pedals on, but I don't mind. I'll ride it a bunch first, but then the plan is to get a couple of kilos off it by changing tyres (Schwalbe Jumbo Jims are 500g lighter each) and the fork (On-One Fatty Carbon is the cheap choice but would require a new headset, being straight steerer). After that it's a new crankset and drivetrain once Shimano's new SLX is available. Also brakes might get upgraded depending on how the original ones feel.

One might ask why I didn't get the higher end spec to begin with. Two reasons. I like tinkering and in this case it's more cost effective to target the money at parts that benefit the most from being really good. For example, none of the models available include good tyres or a carbon fork.

While I'm not fond of fat bikes, I can say it is kind of fun once they get rolling because aint nothing going to stop you. The one time I was on one I had to catch up to friends so I just plowed straight through some brush.

Mascot

Fucking BAH! Up at 5am, suited and booted for getting to the Forest of Dean at dawn (Cwm Carn has some trails closed, apparently), but it's fucking it down with rain. No sign of life from my neighbour so I'm guessing he looked out of the window and went back to bed.

Got a new chain because it looked like it was time. Put it in and decided I should tighten up the cables because I was starting to get some phantom shifts. Now it takes three clicks to get out of 1 and it won't go past 6. This is a ten speed. Figured I had lost my touch or something so watched the YouTube videos again. Nope, that's the same technique I used. Fucking hell.

Mascot

Got a new chain because it looked like it was time. Put it in and decided I should tighten up the cables because I was starting to get some phantom shifts. Now it takes three clicks to get out of 1 and it won't go past 6. This is a ten speed. Figured I had lost my touch or something so watched the YouTube videos again. Nope, that's the same technique I used. Fucking hell.

Did you change the gear cable? I normally change the cable when I change my chain, but cable stretch wouldn't explain not getting past 6th.

Are you sure you 'reset' the shifter spring before tightening the cable and re-indexing the gears? It sounds like it's effective operating range is limited.

Another thing to check is that the derailleur isn't fouling the chainstay. I had a similar problem a while ago and it drove me mad until i realised the derailleur had moved and needed a slight rotation to clear the frame. Ditto with the b-tension screw adjustment - check this.

Also, phantom shifts could be wear on the cassette, especially if your chain had stretched a lot and was long overdue for a change. Did you check the chain with a chain checker? Was it over 1% stretched? If so, the cassette is probably worn to suit the old chain, so won't ever mesh with a new chain properly.

Good luck. Gear problems are the worst.

Mascot

My nephew's chain was recently stretched way past 1% and yeah, he's definitely going to need to replace his cassette too.

It's happened to me a couple of times in the past too. I always keep a spare chain now and try to check the stretch every five rides or so. If it's even getting close to 0.7% stretch then I whip it off and bin it - harvesting the speed links, of course.

New 11- and 12-speed cassettes cost a fuckton more than old 9- and 10-speeds did, so £20 for a new chain every 4-6 months is money well spent.

Mascot

My main problem is that I just never remember to check.

That's the problem. When the cassette wears with the chain stretch then it still feels great, then suddenly drops off a cliff when the cassette is already fucked. There's no advance warning. It is hard replacing a chain on a still-smooth drivetrain, but it has to be done.

Fatbike maiden voyage done! It's a really curious thing to ride. I was expecting the flywheel effect, but what surprised me is that it works uphill too. It's still heavy, but it really rewards high cadence and/or climbing out of the saddle.

It absorbs small bumps like you'd expect, but actual drops is where your wrists start to feel the lack of a suspension fork.

Often you can't avoid slippy stuff because the tyre footprint is so big. Instead you just make sure there's grippy stuff in there somewhere so any sliding that happens is minimal.

It's super stable on descents. I guess this has a lot to do with the flywheel effect too, since it feels like the bike just refuses to go off line.

Finally, here's leanage for Mascot:

zOjuKJe.jpg

Mascot

Very nice!

And I've just realised that hangage shots are a thing of the past now that I've got one of those dropper post thingies.

Furyous

G'Mornin Bicycle age mates!!

I've had my eyes on the Sondor bike for a while now because the thought of using an ebike to glide around is cool and saves time. Should I go bike jeans or bike pants? Bear in mind I'll be in the snow and rain powering up hills on an ebike. What's a good warm slim jacket? Are there any long sleeve wool jerseys? What do you guys do for gloves? Please tell me wool cycling gloves exist. It will feel weird spending iPhone money on a bike.

There are all sorts of cycling clothes so hard to give definitive answers. But you'll need different stuff for winter and summer. If you're into jeans, Levis makes commuter cycling jeans. Also Rapha has a really nice selection of quality commuter gear, woolen and otherwise, that can be worn off the bike too.

Pretty much any softshell these days should be windproof and warm.

You can get merino gloves and tops, but if you're after warmth then you're better off with fleece lined long sleeve tops and windproof gloves. Also, I tend to layer up in winter. I never go out without a decent base layer (top) on.

Top Bottom