• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bicycle age

Mascot

It's going to take a little while getting used to SRAM shifters after the muscle memory of using Shimano rapidfire for the best part of thirty years. I can see why they do it this way (your index finger never has to leave the brake as all shifts are done with the thumb) but I keep wanting to pull the trigger..!

My Shimano setups work both ways. You must have been using some seriously old shifters. :p

Talking of which, after breaking my thumb I'm finding it seriously hard to deal with all the shifting over a 16hr plus period. If the helper muscles don't build up then I may have to switch to electronic shifting. By the end of the BB200 I was having to push the lever with the palm of my hand.

it was pouring all weekend by me, but my friends and I still went out in it yesterday. Just huge puddles and slop everywhere. no one came home clean and we had to use a power washer to clean off

Talking of clean bikes...

s8ykr.jpg

Mascot

Talking of clean bikes...

1a1a_zpsrxwnuyv1.jpg

Bloody chilly and got caught in a shower, but another great ride on the new steed. Took this at sunset on the coast path on the way back from Slade.

Mascot

Pro coach suggested I take three to five days off after the event... that'll be, uhh, strange for me.

Fuck that shit. What's a pro coach anyway? Sounds like some hippy San Francisco life coach shit where you pay a guru 200 bucks an hour so he can light incense and tell you how to wipe your ass without upsetting the toilet spirits. MORE biking is what you need, not less. Dude's a quack.

Have I mentioned yet just how much I already love the T-130? It's about the same weight as my 14X but feels a lot lighter under motion. The Pike/Monarch DebonAir shock combo is so fucking plush, too. I loved the Saracen but this Whyte is just a better fit somehow. It's hard to explain but I really do feel 'at one' with the bike.

Now THAT'S the type of hippy talk I can dig.

Thinking of buying new wheels. I have the Shimano RS10 on a Cannondale Synapse and ride 68km 3 times a week (sometimes 80-120km and very rarely more than 200km+) and most of the way is paved road with a little bit of cobblestone. Currently looking at the Dura Ace 9000, does anyone have better suggestions in the 800-1000 euro range? Thanks! :D

Mascot

I almost binned the remains of an old Halfords bike rack last week that I'd already butchered to make a chin-up bar, but part of it is perfect to fashion a hanging rack to replace my old wall-mounted clamp that doesn't suit the new frame. Bolt it to the wall and suspend from a couple of ratchet straps (with a stainless steel safety cable, just in case...). Sorted.

1aa_zps9grpgcxi.jpg

Edit: Oops - just realised from that photo that the dropper is compressed. That's a no-no for storage!

I only just ordered it, so here's a marketing photo. Yes, the brand is called White. Don't blame me, blame the Norwegians.

qeeE3qA.jpg

edit: I'm fairly happy with the frame specs, it has a tapered head tube and 190mm spacing in the rear, which gives a lot of customising leeway. If I find I like fatbiking enough, I'll start tinkering for sure.

I only just ordered it, so here's a marketing photo. Yes, the brand is called White. Don't blame me, blame the Norwegians.

qeeE3qA.jpg

edit: I'm fairly happy with the frame specs, it has a tapered head tube and 190mm spacing in the rear, which gives a lot of customising leeway. If I find I like fatbiking enough, I'll start tinkering for sure.

Fat bikes are absurdly fun. Can you run the wheels tubeless?

Mascot

I like the idea of a fatbike but I live in a small village on the Welsh coast so would probably be branded a witch and chased with pitchforks.

I couldn't imagine running a fatbike with tubes. Those sidewalls are paper thin to save weight generally and they're massively prone to rips and punctures.

The two times I rode a fat bike I wasn't crazy about them. I'm sure they'd be superfun on wider firepath like trails, but on twistier up/down stuff it just felt annoying to deal with.

Mascot

I think if I bought a fatbike I'd still want full suspension so that I could attempt bouncing over any houses that got in my way.

I thought fatbikes were starting to phase out a bit though? It seems like they're not nearly as widely made as they once were. At least with some of the US companies.

I had two fat bike aficionados trying to persuade me that fat bikes were just as fast cross country as normal bikes. I've literally never seen one even close to the top ten in one of the events I've done though... so it's either they're not as quick, or the quick people never use them. Hard to say for sure.

Well this is disappointing, my Reverb can't get it up if the temperature 5C or less. I would've thought the oil can handle a bit more. Luckily it's not a stealth model so I can just slap in a normal post for winter.

Mascot

Well this is disappointing, my Reverb can't get it up if the temperature 5C or less. I would've thought the oil can handle a bit more. Luckily it's not a stealth model so I can just slap in a normal post for winter.

I'm new to droppers and mine was stiff to retract at first, but seems to have loosened up nicely now. It pops up fine but I've not used it in cold temps yet. Hitting Cwm Carn at dawn on Saturday and am expecting single digits then.

Which brand is yours? The problem is only for hydraulics, and mostly for Rockshox because they apparently think everyone lives in California or something. Now I know why fatbikers hate the Reverb.

Mascot

Which brand is yours? The problem is only for hydraulics, and mostly for Rockshox because they apparently think everyone lives in California or something. Now I know why fatbikers hate the Reverb.

Mine's a Reverb Stealth.

I've read they can be stiff if the sear post clamp is too tight - might be worth looking at?

Mascot

Thanks, I'll try that! I'm also going to check the pressure of the return air spring, some people have had it too low out of the box.

Yeah, pressure should be 250psi, I believe.

Don't store the bike with the seat compressed, either - the pressure goes up to around 800psi and it can stress the seals over time.

Top Bottom