• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bicycle age

ameratsu

Dont you guys who ride to work everyday get extremely sweaty?

- wear a breathable base layer when cycling
- bring an extra shirt to change into at work and wait a few minutes after arriving to change
- bike slower or get into better shape so you sweat less
- don't wear a backpack because your back will get sweaty after riding

Qasiel

- wear a breathable base layer when cycling
- bring an extra shirt to change into at work and wait a few minutes after arriving to change
- bike slower or get into better shape so you sweat less
- don't wear a backpack because your back will get sweaty after riding

Pretty much this.

I also pack a travel pack of wet wipes and some deodorant/anti-perspirant to freshen myself up as I'm getting changed into my work gear.

Antagon

Depends on how you ride I'd say. Here in the Netherlands, tons of people go to work by bike, normally in their work wear as well. The bicycles we got here are far more useful for it then your normal road bike / mtb though, as they put you in a position where you'd automatically ride more relaxed. If you ride that way, cycling won't make you sweat any more then walking would.

6a00d8341c86cc53ef01156f2c9045970c-400wi

andycapps

What's the best multi-tool that you guys recommend for a small under seat pack? I got a Crank Brothers multitool with 10 functions yesterday.. Probably taking it back today on some advice from a friend to get a Park multitool that has some box wrenches and maybe tire levers in case those are needed on a trail.

Guess I'm looking for opinions on the ideal tool as far as size, reliability, and what tools you'd actually need. The Crank Brothers tool looks really nice and has a lifetime warranty. The guys at the shop apparently all use the brand. Keep in mind I ride a single speed, so derailleur adjustment isn't a need for me.

I need to replace my chain (rusty), how do I know if I need to replace any other drivetrain parts at the same time? Something about the teeth wear on the cassette?

Thanks.

Jobiensis

If you need tire levers, just get them separately. The ones on multi tools suck. I've never found half the crap they put on multi-tools very useful. A set of allens and a philips screwdriver are the most needed items. Next maybe useful would be spoke wrench, chain breaker (w/ extra links) and tire levers.

Re-reading that you are fixed speed, I presume you want the box end because you aren't using QR skewers?

Anyone use a male shoulder bag for commuting to college? my normal backpack makes my back extremely sweaty :(
When I started commuting to work I used a Crumpler messenger bag...nowadays I installed a rear rack on my bike and throw a set of Ortleib panniers on it.

With all the stuff I carry to work (15" laptop sometimes, notebook, work bag, towel, clothes, toiletries, shoes, mini bike pump, tubes, etc.) my back thanks me for it...good times.

andycapps

If you need tire levers, just get them separately. The ones on multi tools suck. I've never found half the crap they put on multi-tools very useful. A set of allens and a philips screwdriver are the most needed items. Next maybe useful would be spoke wrench, chain breaker (w/ extra links) and tire levers.

Re-reading that you are fixed speed, I presume you want the box end because you aren't using QR skewers?

Right, well, it's a single speed not a fixed gear, but I don't have QR. So box end wrenches would be nice but probably not a deal breaker. I might be able to find a compact wrench that I can throw in the bag. I'm looking at these two.

Topeak Mini Plus-18
Topeak Hexus II
Topeak Alien II (has everything plus the kitchen sink)

The more I think about it, the Alien II is probably the way to go since I don't have QR. Won't do me much good to take an extra inner tube with me when I wouldn't be able to get the wheels off to replace it. And not much point in buying a wrench separately since the whole idea is to cut down on clutter inside my bag under my seat.

Nemo

Will Eat Your Children
Depends on how you ride I'd say. Here in the Netherlands, tons of people go to work by bike, normally in their work wear as well. The bicycles we got here are far more useful for it then your normal road bike / mtb though, as they put you in a position where you'd automatically ride more relaxed. If you ride that way, cycling won't make you sweat any more then walking would.

6a00d8341c86cc53ef01156f2c9045970c-400wi
Yes! Riding on these bikes never makes me sweaty unless I'm in a hurry (and then I almost always stand on the pedals, never have problem sitting down)

Laekon

I need to replace my chain (rusty), how do I know if I need to replace any other drivetrain parts at the same time? Something about the teeth wear on the cassette?

Thanks.

If you take it to a shop they can measure the chain for stretch and tell you if you should replace both. If you don't have close to 1k miles you should be fine. You can always just replace the chain and ride it. If you feel the chain slip the first time you climb a hill then replace the cassette.

Laekon

Hi Cycle-GAF,

I've recently had to move address, but this means I get to enjoy riding to and from work now as opposed to just ragging it around my local woods. The question I have to ask is what kind of backpack is good for commuting usage? I usually use my Camelbak Mule for when I'm out and about usually, but I need space for an A4 folder, lunchbox as well as the usual stuff (multi-tool, spare tube, pump etc.). I also could do with a seperate area to put my drink bladder.

Any advice would be very welcome, and I'm in the UK if that helps.

Cheers!

Get something like this Deuter backpack. A mesh panel and frame seperates your back from the bag. I've used one for years. Its Deuter Race Air series if the link doesn't work for you.

http://www.deuter.com/en_US/backpack-details.php?category=123&artnr=32029&title=Race EXP Air

Jobiensis

Won't do me much good to take an extra inner tube with me when I wouldn't be able to get the wheels off to replace it. And not much point in buying a wrench separately since the whole idea is to cut down on clutter inside my bag under my seat.

Yeah, you'll need a wrench or QR skewers and I'm not sure if QR are safe. Depending on how much riding you do, I'd still get separate levers. Even though my tires come off pretty easily by hand, the levers are a god send when it is 40F out when hands and the tire is cold.

andycapps

Yeah, you'll need a wrench or QR skewers and I'm not sure if QR are safe. Depending on how much riding you do, I'd still get separate levers. Even though my tires come off pretty easily by hand, the levers are a god send when it is 40F out when hands and the tire is cold.

I'll probably go with the Alien II that has the wrenches I need on it, and throw the tire levers that I have in the pack for when I need them.

If you take it to a shop they can measure the chain for stretch and tell you if you should replace both. If you don't have close to 1k miles you should be fine. You can always just replace the chain and ride it. If you feel the chain slip the first time you climb a hill then replace the cassette.

Thanks, I'll take it in to a shop. The chain has been on for a lot of miles now, but I don't know much about bike maintenance to be honest. Cheers.

robox

watching the paris-roubaix. crazy to think as recently as 2000, they could race over those hellish cobblestones without helmets.

Curtisaur

Forum Landmine
Hi Cycle-GAF,

I've recently had to move address, but this means I get to enjoy riding to and from work now as opposed to just ragging it around my local woods. The question I have to ask is what kind of backpack is good for commuting usage? I usually use my Camelbak Mule for when I'm out and about usually, but I need space for an A4 folder, lunchbox as well as the usual stuff (multi-tool, spare tube, pump etc.). I also could do with a seperate area to put my drink bladder.

Any advice would be very welcome, and I'm in the UK if that helps.

Cheers!

http://www.maxpedition.com/store/pc/FALCON-II-BACKPACK-12p110.htm

It looks super huge but it compresses down. There is a GIF on the page that shows it doing so actually.

Re commute and sweat.

BABY WIPES!

Must use. I developed some Jock itch because I want wiping down when I got to work and I was wearing standard underwear. Get athletic material underwear and make.sure to clean up at work!

F#A#Oo

Banned
Can anyone recommend me a UK bike retailer...

I'm looking for a fixie...the one that got passed down to me got nicked...had that bike 15 odd years...

Eiolon

I ride 15 mi. each way but its all flat land. I only do it when its not raining or terribly windy since I have to ride on a highway with no bike lane. I live in AZ so I can do it many times throughout the year in regards to weather.

magicstop

Alas, I'm going to have to sell my MTB. It's a good thing, and a bad one. I've decided to go from my current full-suspension rig to a single speed, fully rigid one. I need the money, and I want to give SS rigid riding a whirl. It'll be sad to see my current ride go, but I'm kinda pumped about getting a new one.

My current rig (if you're interested in buying, let me know, lol):

U6Rxol.jpg

o55IZl.jpg

It's a 2009 Specialized Enduro SL Expert, with an upgraded fork (bought the Specialized E-150) and an upgraded seat post (the Specialized Command Post). Super sweet ride, great condition.

The rig I'm looking at getting (if I can sell this):

mEp9Ll.jpg

oxKo3l.jpg

A Surly Karate Monkey . . . Fully rigid steel frame, single speed, mechanical disc brakes . . . The essence of simplicity. Coming from the Enduro which has complex front and rear suspension, an adjustable seat-post, hydraulic disc brakes, etc., this will be a very simply rig indeed. I'm kinda looking forward to the change.

Gorgeous, what's the deal with the tiny gear ratio tho?

I think it's just the angle of the photo. it's 22/33/44 crank with a 10 speed 11-36 cassette

Alas, I'm going to have to sell my MTB. It's a good thing, and a bad one. I've decided to go from my current full-suspension rig to a single speed, fully rigid one. I need the money, and I want to give SS rigid riding a whirl. It'll be sad to see my current ride go, but I'm kinda pumped about getting a new one.

A Surly Karate Monkey . . . Fully rigid steel frame, single speed, mechanical disc brakes . . . The essence of simplicity. Coming from the Enduro which has complex front and rear suspension, an adjustable seat-post, hydraulic disc brakes, etc., this will be a very simply rig indeed. I'm kinda looking forward to the change.

masochist. ;)

Seriously though, be prepared for a really bumpy ride. I would suggest buying and riding the Surly before getting rid of the Specialized.

magicstop

masochist. ;)

Seriously though, be prepared for a really bumpy ride. I would suggest buying and riding the Surly before getting rid of the Specialized.

lol, I agree. I purchased a single speed, fully rigid steel commuter, and I've been really, really enjoying it for cruising on the roads, but I know getting on technical single track will be different. That being said, the responsiveness and liveliness such a setup will be a nice bonus, even if I'm getting bounced to hell and back. I'll just have to pick super smooth lines.
My thought is kind of just to dive in, though. If it's my only option, I'll just learn to deal with it :D We'll see. It's all dependent on the Enduro selling.

lol, I agree. I purchased a single speed, fully rigid steel commuter, and I've been really, really enjoying it for cruising on the roads, but I know getting on technical single track will be different. That being said, the responsiveness and liveliness such a setup will be a nice bonus, even if I'm getting bounced to hell and back. I'll just have to pick super smooth lines.
My thought is kind of just to dive in, though. If it's my only option, I'll just learn to deal with it :D We'll see. It's all dependent on the Enduro selling.

Good choice in terms of frame though. I am a huge surly fan. When I ran a bike shop we were one of the largest Surly dealers on the East Coast. I have personally owned two Long Haul Truckers and a Pacer and love every second when I am on them.

Best frames, dollar per dollar, that anyone can buy. :D

andycapps

The rig I'm looking at getting (if I can sell this):

mEp9Ll.jpg

oxKo3l.jpg

Is that a MTB? I made the decision to go from a MTB to a single speed road bike and have enjoyed it. I've heard great things about Surly as well.

D

Deleted member 1235

Unconfirmed Member

yeah I have to use the shower when I get here. hate it when there's a line :D

EDIT: Gaf bikers, I ride to work during the summer months, I'm doing 15.7km on something extremely similar to this

bHbPr.jpg

while this is the most badass townbike/groceries and whatever around, I want something that can do the 15.7km a bit quicker than that. Also I do a bit of travelling to one of the dutch islands and do around 30-40km of riding per trip. I love the ride, but it costs a lot of time. Looking for something speedy, but don't necessarily have to be a racer with all the sporty gear. Would be looking to put a couple saddlebags on the back for clothing/supplies, because if I go for a weekend, wanna take enough clothes and maybe a toilet bag and prefer not to take a backpack.

Any suggestions?

Thinking about the Cannondale Quick 4 for casual/regular city biking and a few dirt trails here and there, what say you?

Be careful with the trail use, as those wheels are not the strongest wheels ever made. Should be fine on things like this:

virginia-creeper-trail.jpeg

But avoid things like this:

3730318_f520.jpg

Otherwise it is an awsesome city bike! :)

Also, if you plan on doing a good amount of trail riding, look at a set of cyclocross tires like the Schwalbe CX line

20824_1_schwalbe_cx_pro_perf.jpg

Any one know of a good saddle try-out program site? My saddle is something i've always wanted to replace but worry about paying so much money for one that I end up hating.

Can anyone recommend some good, durable commuter pedals? The ones that came on my Trek FX are already falling apart after less than 60 miles on them.

Kraftwerk

Any one know of a good saddle try-out program site? My saddle is something i've always wanted to replace but worry about paying so much money for one that I end up hating.

Tr to find a Specialized Dealer that has BG FIT in the store. They usually have a saddle demo program that you can use. We do it at our stores all the time.

Can anyone recommend some good, durable commuter pedals? The ones that came on my Trek FX are already falling apart after less than 60 miles on them.

You can never go wrong with WELLGO pedals.

Can anyone recommend me a UK bike retailer...

I'm looking for a fixie...the one that got passed down to me got nicked...had that bike 15 odd years...

what Price point?

I love my bike but because of Bart's stupid policy about bikes on trains during commute hours, I need a folding bike if I want to be able to bike to work.

I know that Stinkles bought the Dahon Uno last year but does anyone else have experience with folding bikes. Considering the Uno myself but would like to hear other options.

Thanks!

Top Bottom