• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bicycle age

Went to the LBS yesterday and they recommended the Specialized Allez. I like the look of it, and it is pretty much right on my price range (a bit higher than I was hoping, but not terribly so).

What do you guys think of this for a entry level roadie? They are going to bring one in in my size (52 apparently!) so I can test ride it. Went to Mike's Bikes in Berkeley. Good shop and good service, btw.

Kraftwerk

Went to the LBS yesterday and they recommended the Specialized Allez. I like the look of it, and it is pretty much right on my price range (a bit higher than I was hoping, but not terribly so).

What do you guys think of this for a entry level roadie? They are going to bring one in in my size (52 apparently!) so I can test ride it. Went to Mike's Bikes in Berkeley. Good shop and good service, btw.

Great bike. Same geometry as the Tarmac. Stiff and light frame. You will enjoy it.

Several years back I bought an Allez Elite. It is an excellent bike. Just make sure you get a good fitting.

Zareth

How much would I have to spend for a hybrid/commuting bike? I bike to school every day and go on recreational rides (on pavement).

I am thinking about giving my old bike to my gf and getting myself something new. I assume I'm looking at the $600 (Canadian) range, is that about right? Thanks.

That's about how much I paid for my hybrid bike earlier this year and other then me cracking a peddle in half somehow it has been fantastic.

Here is a link to the bike that I picked up.

http://velocitybicycle.com/product/12specialized-crosstrail-105412-1.htm

ameratsu

At that price point, road bikes aren't too exceptional. Other bikes in the price range should be worth looking at as well, if your LBS carries them. For example, Giant Defy 3. A good fitting is going to be key to enjoying your bike long term.

Several years back I bought an Allez Elite. It is an excellent bike. Just make sure you get a good fitting.

At that price point, road bikes aren't too exceptional. Other bikes in the price range should be worth looking at as well, if your LBS carries them. For example, Giant Defy 3. A good fitting is going to be key to enjoying your bike long term.

This fit thing is something I don't understand. I got on a couple of frames and we determined i am a 52. However, since I'm a new rider, I have no idea HOW a bike is supposed to actually fit--i.e., how is a Giant Defy going to feel compared to the Specialized? Considering I haven't ridden a bike in YEARS, and I've only been on cheap ass hand-me-downs and stump jumpers, I think ANY quality bike is going to FEEL awesome, even if it isn't especially right for me. Does that make sense?

Nemo

Will Eat Your Children
Mine was stolen :( Last year. The DAY after I rode it after having never ridden it for about a year.

I'm still pissed.
If it makes you feel better, one of my bikes was stolen as well last week, not that mad about it tho, planning on getting another one anyway for the summer

This fit thing is something I don't understand. I got on a couple of frames and we determined i am a 52. However, since I'm a new rider, I have no idea HOW a bike is supposed to actually fit--i.e., how is a Giant Defy going to feel compared to the Specialized? Considering I haven't ridden a bike in YEARS, and I've only been on cheap ass hand-me-downs and stump jumpers, I think ANY quality bike is going to FEEL awesome, even if it isn't especially right for me. Does that make sense?

If I recall correctly, they adjusted the saddle, stem, bar angle and stuff like that. Once they had the right frame size they made sure that everything was comfortable for my riding position. That's all I mean.

edit: And I took some out for test rides.

vidcons

Banned

Please stop looking at mountain bikes for NYC. If you care about looks, you'll look really bad on that. Wanting a bike to be heavy for better cardio is also not smart. Please don't do these things and just get a nice road bike/cruiser/hybrid for NYC. Throw some Gatorskin tires on and you should be fine with City Roads. Don't get a mountain bike under the impression you can now ride over glass or hit curbs (if you're hitting curbs then you're riding like an unsafe doofus)

Only get that Trek if you actually are going to go on trails and such.

I didn't want to be the elitist prick to tell you, but the previous bikes you posted were shite. This one is much better.

How much would I have to spend for a hybrid/commuting bike? I bike to school every day and go on recreational rides (on pavement).

I am thinking about giving my old bike to my gf and getting myself something new. I assume I'm looking at the $600 (Canadian) range, is that about right? Thanks.

I got myself a Trek 7.3 FX and it was $619 US. I don't use it for commuting yet, but the bike would be perfect for that. However, I would advice upgrading to the 7.4 FX and getting the carbon fork for a smoother ride. Someone can correct me if I'm wrong but Giant, Specialized have similar bikes at similar prices.

Brera

Banned
The weather forecast tomorrow in the UK is bright sunlight and 22 degrees (C) for the first time in ages after weeks of rain!

That means it's time to hit the trails!

Slayer-33

Liverpool-2
Please stop looking at mountain bikes for NYC. If you care about looks, you'll look really bad on that. Wanting a bike to be heavy for better cardio is also not smart. Please don't do these things and just get a nice road bike/cruiser/hybrid for NYC. Throw some Gatorskin tires on and you should be fine with City Roads. Don't get a mountain bike under the impression you can now ride over glass or hit curbs (if you're hitting curbs then you're riding like an unsafe doofus)

Aight

Oppo

What is this elitist nonsense.

I've been wanting to get a Garmin Edge 500 cyclometer for a while now and it's come to a point where I really should be keeping better stats of my road bike trips. But given that it's almost three years old now should I get one or should I wait until this year's Interbike convention to see if they're going to announce a successor to it? I don't want to end up spending $250-350 (depending on options/accessories) on one only to find it's old tech just a couple of months later...

Slayer-33

Liverpool-2
Let's face it MTB looks cooler than road bikes.

Even in NYC, an MTB will give you some flexibility.

I didn't think that Marlin bike wouldn't be THAT bad for NYC like he's trying to say... I'm a bike noob that's why I was asking though... I don't want pot holes jarring me though I'd go to the park and ride on the road.

Agree to disagree. I think a lot of MTBs look like pure ass.

Doesn't seem that bad and it's in my budget, I can pick one up from a local bike shop for about $619 pretax.

http://www.trekbikes.com/us/en/bike...url=us/en/bikes/town/fitness/fx/livestrong_fx

Seems like a nice choice too but the brakes are not the same as the MTB

Brera

Banned
My MTB looks anything but ass:

851ecbe8.jpg

Not the fastest on the road but I can take shortcuts through grass and parkland and mount curbs without worrying that the tires will buckle!

Nothing against road bikes, I just dont think MTB should be written off easily!

Discusguy

I was researching the exact same bike. I really wanted the Tarmac but I'll settle for this one. I'm no pro racer and just can't justify spending more than $2k on a road bike.

I'm pretty fast already on my specialized camber with slick on them. The allez will just make me even faster. The allez at 17lbs is more than light enough for my needs.

If I wasn't into triathlons I wouldn't be buying a road bike. I'm more than happy cruising around the streets with my kendal small block 8 xc tires. I only got my slicks for my MTB to have a decent times in my triathlons. I'm hooked so now I need a road bike.

I've been wanting to get a Garmin Edge 500 cyclometer for a while now and it's come to a point where I really should be keeping better stats of my road bike trips.

The Garmin 500 pretty much does the necessary stuff. Heart rate, distance/speed/etc, and GPS. It has a small form factor, is reliable, and keeps its charge for a decent amount of time.

There's basically no way that a newly released cyclometer can beat the 500 by a significant margin.

(Turn by turn navigation for bikes is overrated IMO, so that's why the 700/800 etc. aren't as popular. Touch screens are also somewhat overkill. Again, IMO.)

So yeah get the 500 or the 200 if you don't need heart rate.

So much hate in here Jesus lol

Dude, don't listen to the haters. Buy what you like. A bike is a bike. It doesn't matter if it's a pos from Wal-mart or a 10+K carbon fiber Cannondale. If you aren't riding it doesn't mean shit. Besides, once you get one bike, you'll probably want to buy another one for a different purpose. Right now, all I have is my hybrid, but at some point I want to get a road bike and a mountain bike.

Slayer-33

Liverpool-2
Damn that's hot ^

Dude, don't listen to the haters. Buy what you like. A bike is a bike. It doesn't matter if it's a pos from Wal-mart or a 10+K carbon fiber Cannondale. If you aren't riding it doesn't mean shit. Besides, once you get one bike, you'll probably want to buy another one for a different purpose. Right now, all I have is my hybrid, but at some point I want to get a road bike and a mountain bike.

I'm just starting out.. I never really want to put impact on my knees by running so I was looking to become a biker of some sort lol.

Damn that's hot ^

I'm just starting out.. I never really want to put impact on my knees by running so I was looking to become a biker of some sort lol.

It's only been two months since I bought my first bike, and here is what I can tell you I wished I knew then.

If all you want is a commuter, then get a decent hybrid, or a utility bike. On these you are probably looking at aluminum or steel frames, which come with aluminum, steel, or carbon forks (the front part of the bike that rotates). Steel will provide the smoothest ride, followed by carbon, followed by aluminum. My bike has both an aluminum frame and fork and after 40 miles my ass hurts from the frame not dampening any of the vibrations on the road. If the routes you are planning to ride aren't that well kept consider that you will feel every inch of the road more with aluminum.

If you think you want to get into more serious biking from the get go then get a mountain bike or a road bike depending on what interests you more. In either case you want that commuter, as I don't think you want to run the chance of getting that sweet $1.5k bike stolen from the rack in NYC.

edit:

P.S. - Don't think you are going to be riding at 20 mph on your first ride, or going on 40 miles on your first week if you haven't ridden a bike for a while. If you get that fast and built up your endurance on a hybrid, or a mountain bike, then when you upgrade to a road bike, you are going to be a speed demon!

Slayer-33

Liverpool-2
It's only been two months since I bought my first bike, and here is what I can tell you I wished I knew then.

If all you want is a commuter, then get a decent hybrid, or a utility bike. On these you are probably looking at aluminum or steel frames, which come with aluminum, steel, or carbon forks (the front part of the bike that rotates). Steel will provide the smoothest ride, followed by carbon, followed by aluminum. My bike has both an aluminum frame and fork and after 40 miles my ass hurts from the frame not dampening any of the vibrations on the road. If the routes you are planning to ride aren't that well kept consider that you will feel every inch of the road more with aluminum.

If you think you want to get into more serious biking from the get go then get a mountain bike or a road bike depending on what interests you more. In either case you want that commuter, as I don't think you want to run the chance of getting that sweet $1.5k bike stolen from the rack in NYC.

Thanks bro

Godslay

Banned
mountain bikes look silly for road riding. they look fine when you're actually riding them on a trail

If you are enjoying yourself then who cares? I see more mountain bikes than anything else on the road, simply because they are typically more accessible at a lower price range. I don't really think it is that silly to seem the there either. They are designed to handle a variety of terrains unlike a road bike.

Kraftwerk

I feel that there is some confusion here regarding what a mountain bike is.

These two bikes for example;

r3qyo.jpg

Gt7Pdl.jpg

Same brand, both 2012 bikes. They look pretty much the same. I get people telling me all the time that both are mountain bike. That is completely incorrect. One is a hybrid, the second is a cross-county (race) mountain bike.

The top one is a hybrid in it's purest form; a road and mountain bike fused together. Relaxed geometry. Tires are not too thin, and not too wide. Small travel in the suspension to cushion rides. Disc brakes for great stopping power, which are not affected by weather, therefore perfect if you do commuting all-year round. You can use it for commuting, leisure rides, light long-distance and doing some light trail rides; such as cottage-country up north and whatnot.

Again, NOT a mountain bike. As much as it looks like one.

The bottom picture IS a mountain bike. Longer travel up front, wider tires for more grip, bigger rotors for more stopping power in the trails, and a heavier/stiffer bike compared to the hybrid above.

I understand the confusion, but even then; nothing wrong with using the bottom one for the city. I have a friend that does. He doesn't want to buy 2 bikes, so ended up with a 29er MTB so he can use for both trail and the city.

Pick the bikes based on what your goals are, and again; TEST RIDE. It must feel right. No matter how sexy it is, or how good the price is.

Hieberrr

All of the bikes in this thread are gorgeous :O! I guess most, if not all, decent commuter bikes start at around $500 :(

And does anybody know why bamboo bikes cost so damn much?!

Kraftwerk

All of the bikes in this thread are gorgeous :O! I guess most, if not all, decent commuter bikes start at around $500 :(

And does anybody know why bamboo bikes cost so damn much?!

Heh, my buddy has a Bamboo road bike. Rided really nice. And yeah, expensive because of the amount of work that goes into it. Plus usually it's frame only and you have to build it up, which again is going to cost you a lot more.

Welp, they couldn't find me a 2012 Allez in my size.

Looks like the local REI has a Marin Argenta in my size available...
Marin-Argenta-A6-2300.jpg

How is this thing for entry level road? Keep in mind, I'm not doing time trials or racing. I just want to build up to long rides and be comfortable and relatively efficient. I'm 31 and haven't been on a bike in about 10 years; I don't have dreams of becoming Lance Armstrong.

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
mountain bikes look silly for road riding. they look fine when you're actually riding them on a trail

?

High end road bikes look silly on urban streets. Frail tires and wheels, stiff geometry over potholes - that argument goes both ways. In some ways a single suspension mountain bike is more suitable for an urban environment.

Ultimately you have to pick a bike that works for you. The only objectively dumb bike is a brakeless fixie in a hilly city, but we can't stop them.

dubc35

Hola bike gaf!

My wife wants to get a bike and I'm not sure where to start for her. I obviously know she will need to test ride some to get one that fits her best. I briefly raced bmx back in the day and onyl really know bmx bikes.

She'll be using it mostly for pleasure riding, some exercise and just to get from point A to B in the city. I'm leaning towards a Specialized just because I like riding some of the friend's/family's Specialized bikes in the past. I'm not looking for a terrible bike but definitely the less money the better. I'm thinking about the Vita or Ariel right now. A flat bar will probably be better for her. What other reliable brands should I check out?

Discusguy

Hola bike gaf!

My wife wants to get a bike and I'm not sure where to start for her. I obviously know she will need to test ride some to get one that fits her best. I briefly raced bmx back in the day and onyl really know bmx bikes.

She'll be using it mostly for pleasure riding, some exercise and just to get from point A to B in the city. I'm leaning towards a Specialized just because I like riding some of the friend's/family's Specialized bikes in the past. I'm not looking for a terrible bike but definitely the less money the better. I'm thinking about the Vita or Ariel right now. A flat bar will probably be better for her. What other reliable brands should I check out?

My wife ended up buying the Specialized step through Expedition with the front shocks. She loves the bike. Uses it all the time for short trip around the house. Bike is comfortable, controllable, and really easy to pedal and shift. My wife is such a girly girl that I was surprised she even wanted to be on a bike. It's been 2 months since and she still rides all time.

Oppo

Next time I see a dude faceplant off his high end touring bike downtown with a wheel stuck in a streetcar track, I'll be sure to tell him how cool he looks.

(I love all the bikes, I don't get the weird elitism. The car people are our real enemy :)

I live in NYC and the roads here are beyond fucked up. Even the bike paths in certain places like along Ocean Parkway in Brooklyn. God forbid you hit any of those fucked up roads, potholes, asphalt sticking up and jagged out of the ground in the middle of a bike trail, etc, etc, on a "road" bike, and you will DESTROY your shit.

A good mountain bike with front suspension is amazing in a place like NYC. Full suspension is icing on the cake. I would rather quit biking then ride these fucked up roads on a proper road bike with no suspension and tiny, thin tires.

I biked 40 miles yesterday and that was probably the hardest ride I've done since I started two months ago. My legs just weren't feeling it (I done 50-mile rides before), and it didn't help that the heat index reached 110 F.

Can bibs feeling too tight affect performance? That was the only thing different yesterday and the region from the edge of the bibs to my knees felt way too tight, and I got this weird rash, which I'm not sure if it was caused by the fabric, the heat, or the swarm of insects in the last 5 miles of the ride.

Hope my performance improves a little bit by next week. I'll be doing a day of RAGBRAI. Any fellow GAFfers participating this year?

vidcons

Banned
Is it the whole cloth or just the leg grip? You're air-drying them, right?

Maybe you got some skin poisoning? A friend had this happen but it didn't pop up again. He also doesn't drink much water during rides.

Picking up a Scott Tour 29er on Saturday. Going to hit the trails and ride it to work till I lose enough weight that my Felt F95 road bike is comfortable enough to ride again.

221768_14728_png_raw_1.jpg

Hieberrr

You should have no issue getting a new 2012 bike for 30% off from your LBS at this point.

How much is a good starting point for a commuter bike? I'm looking for something light and durable.

I'm in Toronto, Canada. I know there are a few bike shops around here, but everything is.. well, it's quite and investment and I don't really have the money for it now.

ameratsu

How much is a good starting point for a commuter bike? I'm looking for something light and durable.

I'm in Toronto, Canada. I know there are a few bike shops around here, but everything is.. well, it's quite and investment and I don't really have the money for it now.

$400-$500 Canadian as a starting point. This Giant, for example, is $449.

Kraftwerk

You can get a god hybrid for $400-$500. The one ameratsu posted is a great buy.

Come to our store, I'll hook you up ;)

MThanded

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
So the postdoc in my lab gave me his old bike.

Model: Giant OCR3 2004.

This is not a picture of it(it is the same color palette as this one) but the one I have needs quite a bit of work done. Bolts are rusted and chain needs to be replaced and probably the brakes.

Are bolts used on bikes generally easy to acquire? I am thinking about taking it to the shop and just having them do all the work. Especially since I did not pay a cent for this bike.

Kraftwerk

So the postdoc in my lab gave me his old bike.

Model: Giant OCR3 2004.

This is not a picture of it(it is the same color palette as this one) but the one I have needs quite a bit of work done. Bolts are rusted and chain needs to be replaced and probably the brakes.

Are bolts used on bikes generally easy to acquire? I am thinking about taking it to the shop and just having them do all the work. Especially since I did not pay a cent for this bike.

Yeah, not rare at all. Just take it to a shop and get it checked over.

Top Bottom