• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bicycle age

Hey guys--looking to get a bike to commute on (just a couple miles of road, but it's mostly uphill) and to also take out on the weekend for longer rides (all road riding, but the ability to take a trail or two wouldn't be bad).

It looks like a lot of people have similar needs but different price ranges. So I'm wondering if anyone can say what the reliable brands/builds are in the following general price ranges (assuming you just want to get something new at a shop).

<$500

$500-700

$700-1000

$1000-1500

Also, IN GENERAL for casual/entry riders, is the premium price point on a "2012" bike really worth it over the "2011" models?

Commuter bikes rarely have drastic changes on an annual basis. If you see a Closeout deal that works for you go for it. That said, right now is the time of year when bike shops have very limited availability on many models....

There is no one bike that works well for commuting, road riding, and trail use. Break down each of those three uses by how often you think you'll ride that terrain for me. That will help point you in the right direction. :)

My favorite $700 commuter is the Trek 7.4 Light, nimble, great frame geometry, and is really fun to ride. It is easy to get distracted by specs and colors, but don't ignore frame geometries.

Thanks--that's a great looking bike. I don't want anything flashy; I'd rather have it attract less attention while I'm sitting in work all day.

In general, I'm mostly concerned about road; something that will be light and easy to take to and from work. It would be nice if it COULD go on a trail if I find myself riding parallel to a freeway; and I'm also not going to be doing hundred mile rides at this point, so something like the Trek may be perfect.

Edit: What's the difference between something like the Trek 7.4 above and a Marin Larkspur? (Just saw one for under $500 at my local shop.)

US-STREET-LARKSPUR-C1.jpg

Thanks--that's a great looking bike. I don't want anything flashy; I'd rather have it attract less attention while I'm sitting in work all day.

In general, I'm mostly concerned about road; something that will be light and easy to take to and from work. It would be nice if it COULD go on a trail if I find myself riding parallel to a freeway; and I'm also not going to be doing hundred mile rides at this point, so something like the Trek may be perfect.

Edit: What's the difference between something like the Trek 7.4 above and a Marin Larkspur? (Just saw one for under $500 at my local shop.)

US-STREET-LARKSPUR-C1.jpg

Marin makes a great commuter bike. I have always been a fan of their designs. Basically, the Trek is one step up in terms of components: Carbon fiber fork, 9speed vs 8 speed, little higher quality components. It's not a HUGE difference, but they are nice upgrades if you want to spend that extra $250.

That said, you can't go wrong with the Marin. If you buy it, have the shop install some SKS fenders and a rear cargo rack.

hubsandspace_2299.jpg

They are essential commuter gear, and bike shops can usually give you a discount on accessories when you buy a bicycle from them. Shops make very little on the bikes, so spending some money on accessories helps them out, and will make them much more likely to help you in the future. :)

nateeasy

Banned
WTF didn't you lock it up or put it away?
Well it was leaning up against the garage. In front of my truck. Mostly out of view from the street. I live on a quiet cul de sac. I thought it would Ho okay for a few hours . Guess not. Bike was old anyways. This gives me an excuse to get a new one.

As a diehard Randonneur I think I can be of some help.

First, lets start with your ass. What kind of shorts are you wearing when you ride? How often are you getting out of the saddle?

Now, about the bike. You want durable and comfortable. That rules out that Cannondale on both counts. That model of Canondale is a race geometry bike. That makes it light, nimble, fast and uncomfortable as hell after 30 miles.

There are some really comfortable, lighter weight steel bikes out there that are perfect for riding distance. When I ran a bike shop I loved, Jamis and Surly for those kind of bikes:

Jamis Satellite Comp $1000. A great entry level road bike capable of all day riding.

http://jamisbikes.com/usa/thebikes/images/bikes_page/2012_bikes_page/12_satellitecomp.jpg[IMG]

The upgraded version is the [URL="http://jamisbikes.com/usa/thebikes/road/quest/12_quest.html"]Jamis Quest[/URL] $around 1500 - $1600 in shops.

[IMG]http://jamisbikes.com/usa/thebikes/images/bikes_page/2012_bikes_page/12_quest.jpg[IMG]

If you can swing it, I cannot stress how awesome this bike is...... It's my favorite all around road bike on the market today. Light, responsive, comfortable and stable. The geometry and hand position make it a dream for long rides.

Another alternative that almost all shops can get is the [URL="http://surlybikes.com/bikes/pacer"]Surly Pacer[/URL].

[IMG]http://surlybikes.com/uploads/bikes/bk_pacer.jpg[IMG]

I once road one of these on a 1200KM race/brevet and was quite impressed with it. Shops can usually get you one for about $1100. They can be tricky to get fitted properly, so make sure that the shop has experience with Surly.

One more option, which I love (except for the awful color for the last 2 years) is the [URL="http://salsacycles.com/bikes/casseroll/"]Salsa Casseroll.[/URL]

[IMG]http://salsacycles.com/images/sized/files/bikes/bikes_casseroll_comp11-500pxx361.jpg[IMG]

It's comfy, responsive, and works well for light touring as well as distance riding.

Hope this helped. I spent seven years selling bicycles for people interested in distance riding/touring/adventure cycling so I have sold dozens of each of those bikes and know them well.[/QUOTE]

Wow! Thanks for putting the time to write such an informative post. There is a Jamis bike shop in the capital of the state, which is about 1 hour away so I'll be checking it out soon to test the Jamis Quest. I haven't ruled out the CAAD105 though. I just need to drive one to see how it feels, but at least now I'll have something to compare it to. Thanks again.

Wow! Thanks for putting the time to write such an informative post. There is a Jamis bike shop in the capital of the state, which is about 1 hour away so I'll be checking it out soon to test the Jamis Quest. I haven't ruled out the CAAD105 though. I just need to drive one to see how it feels, but at least now I'll have something to compare it to. Thanks again.

Awesome! Glad I could help! I miss running a shop, so getting to talk bikes is a treat for me. :)

If it were up to me, the vast majority of cyclists would be on steel bikes. High end steel offers a lively ride that still dampens high frequency road vibrations while still being incredibly light. To me, they ride better than carbon, with a higher durability and a much lower cost. :)

In the end, just listen to your body. Make sure they properly fit the bicycle to you for the test ride and go ride for 15 minutes or so on each bike. All bikes feel good for 2 minutes in a flat parking lot. Go find some hills and focus on the ride. Like I said, in your price range there are no bad bikes, just different.

mclaren777

I test rode two bikes today and realized that I hate 29" rims, which is a shame because I otherwise loved the bike pictured below.

Can anybody recommend a good 26" MTB with a lockout fork and hydraulic disc brakes for under $700?

Edit: this Trek is the closest I've found: Link

iro8A02PlovL2.jpg

purg3

slept with Malkin
I test rode two bikes today and realized that I hate 29" rims, which is a shame because I otherwise loved the bike below.

Can anybody recommend a good 26" MTB with a lockout fork and hydraulic disc brakes for under $700?

Edit: this Trek is the closest I've found: Link

iro8A02PlovL2.jpg

I have a 2010 trek 4300, awesome bike. Surprisingly capable on the trails too, would definitely recommend.

Discusguy

Ok so I got slicks for my 29er because I can't justify spending money on a road bike. I ended up doing a 45mile bike ride to test the tires. Tires were great but the seat was hurting my ass around the 30mile mark. Could u guy recommend something that would help me ride longer without my ass hurting? Like a new seat or new cycling shorts?

Ok so I got slicks for my 29er because I can't justify spending money on a road bike. I ended up doing a 45mile bike ride to test the tires. Tires were great but the seat was hurting my ass around the 30mile mark. Could u guy recommend something that would help me ride longer without my ass hurting? Like a new seat or new cycling shorts?

I am a huge fan of the Sugoi RSE shorts.

http://www.simoncycle.com/images/library/large/sug_38391u_blk_11_m.jpg

FXE-mens.jpg

You want a good chamois in shorts. You'll spend $120 on shorts, but they will last for years in your don't put them in the dryer. Most mountain bike shorts (baggy) have terrible chamois so I generally avoid people to skip them, and just wear a set of hiking shorts or some other material over the road shorts if you are uncomfortable in lycra.

Also make sure you are relieving pressure on your sit bones by popping off the saddle every few minutes. :)

Completed my first two days of 40 miles back-to-back, and rode for a total of 110 miles for this week. I didn't believe I had it in me to ride this much only two months after getting into biking. Needles to say, I think I found a new hobby.

Datwheezy

Unconfirmed Member
For that type of bike and price range check out Giant's Escape series:

http://www.giant-bicycles.com/en-us/bikes/model/escape.0/8910/48612/

Giant Escape 0
Escape_0.jpg

Love my giant escape, but looking for an entry level road bike. Something in the $700-800 range, although I could go a bit higher if it makes a large enough distance in quality.

Looking at Jamis Ventura Sport, Trek 1.1, and Giant Defy. Any of these standout from the others, or can anyone suggest something in the tier above that would be worth spending the extra money on. I'd mostly just be using it for weekend rides and local cycling charity events

Discusguy

I am a huge fan of the Sugoi RSE shorts.

http://www.simoncycle.com/images/library/large/sug_38391u_blk_11_m.jpg

FXE-mens.jpg

You want a good chamois in shorts. You'll spend $120 on shorts, but they will last for years in your don't put them in the dryer. Most mountain bike shorts (baggy) have terrible chamois so I generally avoid people to skip them, and just wear a set of hiking shorts or some other material over the road shorts if you are uncomfortable in lycra.

Also make sure you are relieving pressure on your sit bones by popping off the saddle every few minutes. :)

Thanks for the reply. Those Sugoi RSE shorts look pretty damn nice. Will reseach more on these.

Chris R

First time out biking in a serious wind today... man it sucks going INTO the wind, and man do you go faaaaast with a big tailwind. Was clocking 5:15s into the wind and 2:20s with a tail wind. The side wind was causing me to fight to keep my bike heading straight as well. Had to cut my ride short though because it was kicking my ass.

And I love my Giant Defy. Picked up an older model so I was able to get it for ~200 less than it would retail for.

Love my giant escape, but looking for an entry level road bike. Something in the $700-800 range, although I could go a bit higher if it makes a large enough distance in quality.

Looking at Jamis Ventura Sport, Trek 1.1, and Giant Defy. Any of these standout from the others, or can anyone suggest something in the tier above that would be worth spending the extra money on. I'd mostly just be using it for weekend rides and local cycling charity events

So funny! As I've done more research, I've closed in on these models too. I think I'll go full road so that I can do long weekend rides.

BTW, what is a good site for bike reviews?

After looking over the spec and geometry charts for all three, there is little to not functional difference between the components on each brand's $700 - $800 rod bike. It is going to come down to a combination of two factors: geometry (how the bike feels to you) and how nice the bike shops are to you.

The Giant Defy 5 seems to have the most upright hand position, coupled with a longer wheel base. What that means to you is that the bike will be more stable, but less nimble, while being a bit more comfortable on a long ride. The Jamis comes in just a bit more aggressive, with a slightly shorter headtube length and wheelbase. The Trek comes in at the other end of the spectrum, having the shortest headtube length and wheelbase.

They are not dramatically different though. So if you find a shop that has one on sale, and they take good care of you by providing a good 30 minute fitting session to ensure that it properly fits, buy that bike.

Now. Here is the advice you'll need to hear. None of those three bikes are bikes that you upgrade. They are bikes that you replace. About a year after you buy it, you'll get "the itch". You'll want to buy a new wheel set, or upgrade the drivetrain. Don't. Put some money aside and eventually upgrade to a $1500 - $2000 bike if you find yourself putting in a ton of time on your road bike, but don't start upgrading individual parts.

That said, buy a better saddle and some good road shorts on day 1. Don't skimp on your shorts. Buy the shorts one price level above what you think you should buy. Trust me. :)

Datwheezy

Unconfirmed Member
After looking over the spec and geometry charts for all three, there is little to not functional difference between the components on each brand's $700 - $800 rod bike. It is going to come down to a combination of two factors: geometry (how the bike feels to you) and how nice the bike shops are to you.

The Giant Defy 5 seems to have the most upright hand position, coupled with a longer wheel base. What that means to you is that the bike will be more stable, but less nimble, while being a bit more comfortable on a long ride. The Jamis comes in just a bit more aggressive, with a slightly shorter headtube length and wheelbase. The Trek comes in at the other end of the spectrum, having the shortest headtube length and wheelbase.

They are not dramatically different though. So if you find a shop that has one on sale, and they take good care of you by providing a good 30 minute fitting session to ensure that it properly fits, buy that bike.

Now. Here is the advice you'll need to hear. None of those three bikes are bikes that you upgrade. They are bikes that you replace. About a year after you buy it, you'll get "the itch". You'll want to buy a new wheel set, or upgrade the drivetrain. Don't. Put some money aside and eventually upgrade to a $1500 - $2000 bike if you find yourself putting in a ton of time on your road bike, but don't start upgrading individual parts.

That said, buy a better saddle and some good road shorts on day 1. Don't skimp on your shorts. Buy the shorts one price level above what you think you should buy. Trust me. :)

Thanks for the info! Any good recommendations for saddles?

ameratsu

^ First of all, see if the saddle that comes on whatever bike you decide on works for you. If it doesn't after using for a while, the bike shop where you're fitted should offer to give you an aftermarket saddle in a funny colour (so you don't keep it) to test out on your bike for a week or two. If one doesn't work, come back for another. Don't think that you necessarily need a new saddle though.

Meier

Hello all, I've been giving some thought to getting a bike.. it's kind of a scary prospect these days but I think it'd be a good thing to have. I was looking on Amazon and thought this one looked pretty sharp and had a decent review score (4.5 with 89 reviews). What is the general consensus on this brand (Takara)?

Amazon has a 20% off one time deal right now if you order by July 13th and have an Amazon rewards card.. so I'm tempted. It's fairly inexpensive ($210).

Was just in an accident two weeks ago and I'm out of commission for a while. Was thinking about picking up a Cannondale Bad Boy, since my Trek Valencia got trashed. Really like the look of it. Anyone have any experience with it? Is it a good buy?

Hello all, I've been giving some thought to getting a bike.. it's kind of a scary prospect these days but I think it'd be a good thing to have. I was looking on Amazon and thought this one looked pretty sharp and had a decent review score (4.5 with 89 reviews). What is the general consensus on this brand (Takara)?

Amazon has a 20% off one time deal right now if you order by July 13th and have an Amazon rewards card.. so I'm tempted. It's fairly inexpensive ($210).
Never heard of the brand. What are the materials like? What components? Can you post a link?

I personally wouldn't buy a bike from Amazon, especially if it's your first bike. It only comes in two sizes. Go to a local bike shop and get fitted first, then you'll know what bike sizes work for you. If you really can't afford more, then look on Craiglist for a used steel or aluminum bike.

$210 might sound like a deal, but you truly do get what you pay for with bikes. Trust me.

If I was to buy a "first" bike again, and it had to be a road bike, I would be looking into the $700-$800 range minimum. Now that I have a little more knowledge about components and materials I'm not going to spend anything less than $1200 if I want to keep the bike for a while.

Meier

Never heard of the brand. What are the materials like? What components? Can you post a link?

Here is the Amazon link: http://www.amazon.com/dp/B004GWP6CK/?tag=neogaf0e-20

Specifications:

• Steel frame and fork; 54 centimeter top tube
  • Alloy rims with alloy hub
  • Rear flip flop hub
  • Brakes: Alloy side pull
  • Tires: Yellow Kenda 700 x 32
  • Frame: Tig welded steel frame with horizontal drop out
  • Fork: Tig Welded 1 inch Threaded
  • Handlebar: Steel Road 42.5cm wide
  • Stem: Alloy Quill 1-inch 90 deg x 100mm
  • Crank: Steel 3-piece 170mm 44 tooth steel chain ring
  • Bottom Bracket: Loose ball and cone, English thread
  • Pedals: Alloy cage with toe clips
  • Rims: Alloy singlewall 32 hole with stainless steel spoke
  • Hub Rear: Joytech alloy 16-tooth freewheel and fix gear, bolt on
  • Hub Front: Joytech alloy high flange, bolt on
  • Tires: Kenda Yellow 700 x 32
  • Seat Collar: Alloy
  • Seatpost: Steel 25.4
  • Kickstand: Steel
  • Bar Tape: Cork
  • Weight: 29.5 pounds

I personally wouldn't buy a bike from Amazon, especially if it's your first bike. It only comes in two sizes. Go to a local bike shop and get fitted first, then you'll know what bike sizes work for you. If you really can't afford more, then look on Craiglist for a used steel or aluminum bike.

$210 might sound like a deal, but you truly do get what you pay for with bikes. Trust me.

If I was to buy a "first" bike again, and it had to be a road bike, I would be looking into the $700-$800 range minimum. Now that I have a little more knowledge about components and materials I'm not going to spend anything less than $1200 if I want to keep the bike for a while.
Well, I can tell you that there's absolutely no chance in hell I'll be spending that much. :lol Based on a sizing chart I came across online, it sounds to me like a 57cm would be fine (I'm 5'10"). I definitely agree it would be a good idea to check one out in a store first (in that height or others) though. I'm not going to be doing any triathlons or anything like that so price is a big component -- this would be for very casual usage in all likelihood. Realistically, I probably won't buy one just due to the fact that storing them is so difficult where we live, but I was at least kicking it around.

ameratsu

Meier, I don't know where you live but I'd look into getting a used bike assuming you live in a big enough city. It may take a little while, but you may be able to find something around the $200 mark that will be of significantly better quality than that amazon bike. Frame material in particular is high tensile steel which is cheaper, heavier, and less durable than chromoly steel. Like already mentioned, I would be concerned about proper fit which may be tough with only two frame sizes.

If you are a super casual rider it might be sufficient though. It isn't something I would want to ride on a regular basis. Make sure you budget for a good helmet and led lights if you plan on doing any night riding though.

Here is the Amazon link: http://www.amazon.com/dp/B004GWP6CK/?tag=neogaf0e-20

Specifications:

• Steel frame and fork; 54 centimeter top tube
  • Alloy rims with alloy hub
  • Rear flip flop hub
  • Brakes: Alloy side pull
  • Tires: Yellow Kenda 700 x 32
  • Frame: Tig welded steel frame with horizontal drop out
  • Fork: Tig Welded 1 inch Threaded
  • Handlebar: Steel Road 42.5cm wide
  • Stem: Alloy Quill 1-inch 90 deg x 100mm
  • Crank: Steel 3-piece 170mm 44 tooth steel chain ring
  • Bottom Bracket: Loose ball and cone, English thread
  • Pedals: Alloy cage with toe clips
  • Rims: Alloy singlewall 32 hole with stainless steel spoke
  • Hub Rear: Joytech alloy 16-tooth freewheel and fix gear, bolt on
  • Hub Front: Joytech alloy high flange, bolt on
  • Tires: Kenda Yellow 700 x 32
  • Seat Collar: Alloy
  • Seatpost: Steel 25.4
  • Kickstand: Steel
  • Bar Tape: Cork
  • Weight: 29.5 pounds

Well, I can tell you that there's absolutely no chance in hell I'll be spending that much. :lol Based on a sizing chart I came across online, it sounds to me like a 57cm would be fine (I'm 5'10"). I definitely agree it would be a good idea to check one out in a store first (in that height or others) though. I'm not going to be doing any triathlons or anything like that so price is a big component -- this would be for very casual usage in all likelihood. Realistically, I probably won't buy one just due to the fact that storing them is so difficult where we live, but I was at least kicking it around.
It doesn't list the type of steel or alloy on any of the components, so you can pretty safely assume they're all crap. Don't buy it.

Meier

It doesn't list the type of steel or alloy on any of the components, so you can pretty safely assume they're all crap. Don't buy it.

Yeah, it's apparently that high-tensile steel stuff based off the comments I read on some of the reviews. Thanks for the input folks, like I said -- probably not a realistic option right now since we lack a good place to store bikes at our apartment, but I'll keep a sub on this thread and come back to it if/when I do proceed with a purchase! That darn 20% off is so tempting.. maybe I'll buy some new soccer equipment instead. :)

Qasiel

Bad news: My Specialized Hardrock I'd been pootling around on for quite some time was stolen from a train station recently.

Good News: I ended up splashing out and getting a 2012 Specialized Status 1!

Rb3Ez.jpg

Absolutely love this thing. It's a little hard to get going at first, but this thing loves downhill and jumping it over branches, rocks, roots etc. is a real breeze.

Oppo

Pics? How fast does it go?

Here's one:

ejHmk.jpg

I've hit 50 KPH on it, I'm sure I could push it a bit faster if I wanted.

I get a LOT of puzzled looks from the Lycra set when I blow past them :)

The Stromer is quite incredible. It cost a lot but it's basically like a magic bike you don't get tired on. Range is around 50K in the city with stop and go, charges in 3.5h. The battery is in the downtube.

nateeasy

Banned
Can you guys help me buy a bike?

I want one I can take offroad but that is still get pretty good speeds on pavement. I'm looking at mountain bikes at Dicks.

Diamondback Overdrive

http://www.dickssportinggoods.com/p...mdn=Brand&cp=4406646.4413993.4418012.12458051

Vs.

DBX Resonance

http://www.dickssportinggoods.com/p...=12378655&cp=4406646.4413993.4418012.12458051

There is a huge price difference. Is the Diamondback really worth $300 more? Why are disc breaks better for mountain bikes? I don't necessarily want to spend a lot of money. If I could get a good bike for $150 Ill take it. But I do not want something that will just have a lot of issues.

Slayer-33

Liverpool-2
Can someone help me find this damn thing in black?

http://www.walmart.com/ip/26-Men-s-...uspension-Mountain-Bike/5585806#ProductDetail

Do not buy?

Or get one of these?

http://www.trekbikes.com/us/en/bike...=us/en/bikes/town/dual_sport/ds_series/8_5_ds

2012 8.5 DS

I want a bike that can take road punishment from NYC roads (friend has the first one linked up there, it looks incredible) and it's heavy.. I want it also for some extra fitness (extra weight on bike) to get some fun cardio in, but then again I'm not really looking to spend $1K on a bike... I do like how the 8.5 looks and the mong.

Can someone help me find this damn thing in black?

http://www.walmart.com/ip/26-Men-s-...uspension-Mountain-Bike/5585806#ProductDetail

Do not buy?

Or get one of these?

http://www.trekbikes.com/us/en/bike...=us/en/bikes/town/dual_sport/ds_series/8_5_ds

2012 8.5 DS

I want a bike that can take road punishment from NYC roads (friend has the first one linked up there, it looks incredible) and it's heavy.. I want it also for some extra fitness (extra weight on bike) to get some fun cardio in, but then again I'm not really looking to spend $1K on a bike... I do like how the 8.5 looks and the mong.
I don't think there's any reason you'd need a mountain bike for city roads

MIMIC

Banned
Mine was stolen :( Last year. The DAY after I rode it after having never ridden it for about a year.

I'm still pissed.

vidcons

Banned
I'm a big fan of the Felt Cafe line. Will leave you with a bit of change leftover if you're looking to spend 1k. Just take the damn cup holder off.

Or go for an actual road bike and a GPS and start being one of those people on Strava.

tirant

I'm a big fan of the Felt Cafe line. Will leave you with a bit of change leftover if you're looking to spend 1k. Just take the damn cup holder off.

Or go for an actual road bike and a GPS and start being one of those people on Strava.

Those Cafe series have style. And they also look really practical as city bikes. I would never buy a city bike without mudguards and the possibility to install bike panniers.

How much would I have to spend for a hybrid/commuting bike? I bike to school every day and go on recreational rides (on pavement).

I am thinking about giving my old bike to my gf and getting myself something new. I assume I'm looking at the $600 (Canadian) range, is that about right? Thanks.

Top Bottom