• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bicycle age

I have my stockings! They're not too bad if I'm honest... they mostly look like standard compression socks.

Took about 15 minutes to get on though. It's like trying to wear someone else's skin, except their skin is about a size smaller than mine.

Jobiensis

Sucks PT, wish you well. I just started shaving, so stockings might be the next logical step.

I'm riding, my 'winter' is pretty mild compared to Boulder though. I need to get some clothes, my hands and feet get way too cold for me to do my Sat morning long rides. Temps right now are around freezing in the morning where I live. Really want to get Baldy done, but with snow there now, it's probably not a very safe ride.

I have some lofty goals for this year, I'm thinking of paying for a real coach. My training right now is basically short rides with short, steep ascents where I push hard and a long ride with me going at a sustainable pace. It's helped me, but I don't think it is the most effective method. The first ride I want to get done this year is pretty difficult, and I would really like to be able to finish it.

Oppo

Nice. How are you liking the GoPro? I wanted one for no reason other than putting some flavor-of-the-day rap over hill descents but $$$

Love it so far. I'm not exactly Mr. Extreme Sports but I am Mr. Loves Taking Pictures, and this thing is pretty amazing, considering it weighs so little yet shoots 2.7k video, timelapses, has a remote, waterproof... I posted some stuff in the GoPro thread, including a little video I did.

Hey, I just bought a mechanics stand today. Also picked up some thermal silk liners for my hands and feet.
I need one of these. I also need one that will support my 55 pound Stromer eBike. :)

Everyone getting out into the winter riding weather?
Me. Not that cold in Toronto right now, going to be above freezing for the next few days, and I'm going to get some proper riding mitts and get out there. The trails are nice and barren in the winter, no traffic. :)

Oppo

One reason I've always thought a GoPro would be neat is to do stuff like this.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g05zlCYZGAQ

Of course, I'd probably never watch the videos. But it is neat to visualize the stats as they happen.

Yeah me too. I don't really have any interest in uploading them to YouTube or anything but I'd love to have riding footage for my own, to review. Sometimes I see some pretty crazy stuff riding around town.

Also I am considering using the GoPro as a matter of course in case some goon tries to run me over, as a sort of black-box evidence thing.

ThankeeSai

Got my Cube!

I called the bike shop on Tuesday, went with my voucher on Tuesday evening thinking that I would just be dropping the voucher in, then collecting it on the Wednesday. When I got there, the guy told me they had one already built if I would like to take it away.

So, my first bike ride in around 20 years was a 5 mile one back home. I'm sure that's probably a stroll for some people in this thread, but let me tell you...I was totally knackered when I got in, lol.

Anyway, bike is an absolute monster with the 29" wheels, it's huge! Got some LED lights for it today, not got a helmet yet (I know), but will be picking one up tomorrow. Also, one thing...The seat. Good God, the seat. What sadist designed them?! They're not exactly the comfiest things are they? I have come into work today on it and it's not been too bad, but could anyone recommend a good quality gel seat or cover?

bike12_zps8d4f64b7.jpg

There's an adjustment period for sure and it sucks. They call it T.i.t.S., Time in the Saddle.

My 29er still has the stock saddle and I bought a Fizik Arione VS for my road bike. In the end the VS does help but the adjustment period is really what does it. I think you'll find most saddles will feel the same the first 10 miles.

I wouldn't really do a gel cover unless it was for a commutemobile.

Saddles are a bitch though, I've tried 7 over a long term and there's only one I consider usable, and I'm certainly not happy with it. It's worst on my trainer as my groin keeps going numb. :(

Still, I'll keep trying them until I find one I like.

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
Small light saddles are absolutely the worst return on investment in the history of ergonomics. If you're an olympic cyclist it might help, but since a really comfy gel saddle weighs about the same as not peeing before a ride (and there are streamlined comfy gel saddles that look good too, since many people have a small saddle for completely aesthetic reasons), it's hardly a performance factor. Get a nice comfortasble gel saddle and enjoy your nuts and ass for years longer.

I wouldn't really do a gel cover unless it was for a commutemobile.

Saddles are a bitch though, I've tried 7 over a long term and there's only one I consider usable, and I'm certainly not happy with it. It's worst on my trainer as my groin keeps going numb. :(

Still, I'll keep trying them until I find one I like.

Poor seat positioning is the cause of cock numbness, have you tried adjusting the angle so the front points up slightly?

Jobiensis

A layer of gel isn't near as important as the width of your sit bones, the bike fit, and your form. Since you just got the bike, I would just ride it for a while before dumping more money on a saddle upgrade you may or may not need. As Quote said, a little pain is going to happen in the beginning.

Gel saddles really do suck for road riding, it has nothing to do with the weight of the saddle. They increase the chance of chaffing, and padding won't fix issues with bad form, fitness and bike fit. Besides, a good pair of bibs/tights/shorts will have plenty of padding.

Quote, I just got a Fizik Arione VS too. So far I like it, my old saddle was a little too wide, and really impeded my ability to pedal fast in the drops.

Poor seat positioning is the cause of cock numbness, have you tried adjusting the angle so the front points up slightly?

I agree, but some are more sensitive than others. Also, having the seat too far back can cause this.

ThankeeSai

Cheers guys. Reckon I'll see how I get on with the current saddle for now, maybe get a gel cover if it becomes really unbearable, but I guess I may just get used to it after I've been riding for a bit longer.

Jobiensis

You probably just have sensitive or large nuts PT. I would suggest a course of HGH and Testosterone. As a side benefit you should be able to crush some of your Strava PRs.

vidcons

Banned
Small light saddles are absolutely the worst return on investment in the history of ergonomics. If you're an olympic cyclist it might help, but since a really comfy gel saddle weighs about the same as not peeing before a ride (and there are streamlined comfy gel saddles that look good too, since many people have a small saddle for completely aesthetic reasons), it's hardly a performance factor. Get a nice comfortasble gel saddle and enjoy your nuts and ass for years longer.

Depends on how many hours you're going to put on a ride. On longer rides, decent pair of bibs will be much more comfortable than a gel saddle.

I'd probably just get a pair of padded shorts that you can swap out once you get to work.

Psycho, that sucks. Are you still able to do lifting? Your Strava activity always made me feel like a turd.

Nothing heavy duty for at least a month just in case the clot breaks off apparently.

I can probably do upper body stuff in a week or so though.

With trainers it's worse, because you're in the exact same position for too long. Just stand up every few mins, move around on the saddle a bit, etc.

In general, seat positioning is key. Nose slightly down (but not so much that it makes you slide forward) and seat far enough backwards (which can be accomplished by getting a set-back seatpost, or using the rails on the saddle itself).

On road bikes, gel saddles are useless, as the soft material of the gel actually compresses more of the soft tissue in ur behind, cutting off blood flow. Best are hard saddles where you rest on your sitbones.

Oppo

Just looked into some Revolights. Sadly wont fit my big bike. Installation looked like a bit of a pain too, and I don't like how they situated the batteries... But if you want to look like a TRON light cycle, that's the ticket.

Think I will go with the Xfire laser-lane thingy.

Most gel saddles don't work. I sold them for almost a decade. The gel simply shifts away from your sit bones when you actually sit down on the things.

Spend the money on a professional fitting instead. You'll be much happier in the long term.

Also, the issues with trainers is that there is no air pressure to help hold your torso up so you end up putting more pressure on your hands/shoulders, causing you to rotate your pelvis more forward than you should. Any time you are on a trainer make sure to sit up regularly.

ameratsu

I am just going to concur with the people saying to get a fitting. Once you get a fitting, the bike shop should give you a test saddle or two to try out for a few days if your stock saddle is uncomfortable. I went from the stock Giant saddle (which was too narrow; it looks like a clone of a Fizik Arione) to a Specialized Romin Evo Comp in the appropriate width. I can't imagine going to anything else.

Being properly suspended by your sit bones is very comfortable. Spend the money on a fitting and a new seat if required.

Slayer-33

Liverpool-2
Test rode a Sirrus base model before buying the 2012 Elite model off someone from craigs (tomorrow)

Incredible.. I have not ridden a bike since my teens, these things have become incredible, the engineering is awesome as fuck.

I can't wait to get started with this shit. A cyclists lifestyle from now on, the freedom you feel incredible.

muu

Looks like Strava changed its system so that you don't have to add a BS title in your entries for it to be accounted for. Dumped about a year's worth of records onto the thing yesterday, guess I'll do that more often since that was the biggest detractor IMO vs using vanilla Garmin Connect. Now I just need to get faster so I don't taint the Bike-Age group with my 13mph commutes.

If they could smarten the system up so it detects often-traveled similar routes and tag them accordingly (commute, training, etc) it would be awesome.

Jobiensis

I don't recall the titles being required on Strava either, but I don't even remember when I switched over. Was a real pain to import all my previous data.

Don't worry about your speed (unless you want to). The only thing I judge on bike-age is vidcon's trainer ride titles. I would rate :( as one of the best ride names.

Id def worry about shorts/bibs before a saddle. I've gone over to bibs and they are amazing. I'll probably never wear my MTB shorts again unless I'm going somewhere public beforehand. Lately I've been wearing gym shorts over them before or after a trail ride instead of the MTB shorts

I'm a heavier guy too, but fuck it, so
comfy.

I got hit by a car riding my Trek road bike to school last month, broke my leg. Totaled out my bike (1.2) which i had just bought back in March.

I really liked my Trek, but i might be willing to spend a little more. I hope to start riding again this spring, when is the best time to buy a new bike? Should I stick with the Trek brand if I want to spend in the 1500-2500 range for a road bike? Sorry for the noob questions

Wear your fucking helmet!!!

vidcons

Banned
I got hit by a car riding my Trek road bike to school last month, broke my leg. Totaled out my bike (1.2) which i had just bought back in March.

I really liked my Trek, but i might be willing to spend a little more. I hope to start riding again this spring, when is the best time to buy a new bike? Should I stick with the Trek brand if I want to spend in the 1500-2500 range for a road bike? Sorry for the noob questions

Wear your fucking helmet!!!

CAAD 10.

or maybe we could be Velo Vie buddies

and right now is the best time to be buying a bike because updated models are coming out and old ones are getting discounted to clear shelf space.

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
Most gel saddles don't work. I sold them for almost a decade. The gel simply shifts away from your sit bones when you actually sit down on the things.

Spend the money on a professional fitting instead. You'll be much happier in the long term.

Also, the issues with trainers is that there is no air pressure to help hold your torso up so you end up putting more pressure on your hands/shoulders, causing you to rotate your pelvis more forward than you should. Any time you are on a trainer make sure to sit up regularly.

You obviously have more experience than I do - but my experience is completely different. I have probably used about thirty to forty saddles and good quality ergonomic gel seats have been way better for me, on centuries and short rides. And a professional fitting would help in any case but I would also encourage people to adjust over time as they find the weaknesses in an initial fitting.

I went into install my SLX crankset and apparently I bought the wrong crank puller and broke it. Theres few things worse than not being able to do something because you don't have the right tool. I guess i'll call a few places tomorrow for a square tapered crank puller.

muu

I like my carbon bikes outfitted with leather saddles, carradice saddlebags and giant flat pedals.

If you've gotten some maintenance experience, how about one of those bikes off Bikesdirect? They may lack the brand power but you'll get a lot more parts for the money.

Sucks. How's your recovery going? I'm guessing at least you're still fairly young so it should be pretty quick.
Good, thanks! I was pretty frail for a while but the pain is long gone. I'm in my mid-20s, guess its relative what "young" is on this board lol

Cycling and walking were my only modes of transportation, its been an adjustment having both taken away
CAAD 10.

or maybe we could be Velo Vie buddies

and right now is the best time to be buying a bike because updated models are coming out and old ones are getting discounted to clear shelf space.
Thanks, I wasn't sure when the new models came out. I'll check out your recommendation, I always thought cannondales were sexy
If you've gotten some maintenance experience...?
I do not :(

I went into install my SLX crankset and apparently I bought the wrong crank puller and broke it.

Did the SLX crankset come with its own bottom bracket? Does the bottom bracket shell in your frame accept the required bottom bracket? You have to be careful with this, because there are many sizes/types--and they're not all compatible with eachother.

Oppo

Just came back from a ride, 13° in Toronto. Was awesome to get out there again. Although the trails were still a bit icy/muddy. Ok, a lot.

Slayer-33

Liverpool-2
http://newjersey.craigslist.org/bik/3527688786.html

Has about 1000 miles on it, he says no cracks or wobble/rattle, a minor paint scratch in one area.

Need emergency advice gaf, I am willing to buy this tomorrow.

(I have to say I was willing to get a new 2012/13 elite for $830ish as it is but this one has bettter components)

If that helps with your advice. Also the base model is like $500 for 2013 but obviously this was I think the 2nd to last top model for 2010, there should be a big difference between a base model and this one. I plan to commute 16 miles round trip on a bike path. (And seriously become a cyclist eventually)

I haven't talked him down because he's willing to deliver it by car from Passaic to my bank in uptown manhattan.

Slayer-33

Liverpool-2
Check the carbon bits very, very carefully. Plus obviously look for new paint anywhere.

Other than that, this has some general advice: http://www.cyclorama.net/viewArticle.php?id=342

Thanks bro, I was silly for not checking youtube videos about this before posting but now I did and read your link. I was hoping to get advice on that purchase price and if it's in line with the model/year according to the enthusiasts here.

Thanks bro, I was silly for not checking youtube videos about this before posting but now I did and read your link. I was hoping to get advice on that purchase price and if it's in line with the model/year according to the enthusiasts here.

Afraid that one is out of my experience zone, especially in the US. :)

Did the SLX crankset come with its own bottom bracket? Does the bottom bracket shell in your frame accept the required bottom bracket? You have to be careful with this, because there are many sizes/types--and they're not all compatible with eachother.
Yup, comes with a Hollowtech II, and washers to fit various widths. Its pretty much plug and play.

My current issue is getting the original cranks off. They're square taper cartridge type.

Top Bottom