• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bicycle age

My legs seem to be the main problem. I hate wearing 3/4 trousers but I feel like I don't have much of a choice when it gets down to freezing.

I might have to try some leg warmers instead and hope they're less restrictive.

Personally, I use bibs + leg warmers right now (around 40-45 F in the morning). If it gets colder, I put on some insulated cycling tights. Sometimes with neoprene booties (very helpful). Upper body: either arm warmers + jersey (sometimes with long sleeve base layer), or a cycling jacket if it's colder. Always gloves, of course. The key is to get a bunch of clothing items you can re-combine in various ways. Gore has some nice products in all of these categories.

I've already got the frame, fork, headset, crankset, and seat, I'm not really going to ditch them. The stock components from that bike were pretty shitty anyway so this will be better in the long run

Well, for the remaining parts, it still may make sense to buy a complete bike (and strip the component set off, and either keep or sell the rest). But my point is mainly that if you put together a bike by buying new components (paying shipping every time), you'll end up spending much more than a pre-assembled package. Perhaps as much as 2x or 3x as much.

This thread is dead lately. Come on people, the weather may be shit but cycling still rocks!

My knee warmers arrived. They're kinkytastic. Like thigh high socks or something. Still, should be warmer which is good. :D

SmokyDave

This thread is dead lately. Come on people, the weather may be shit but cycling still rocks!

My knee warmers arrived. They're kinkytastic. Like thigh high socks or something. Still, should be warmer which is good. :D

No cycling for me lately :(

My RTS frame is in bits on the living room floor, waiting to be polished. My FSR is waiting for a replacement bottom bracket (which I need to fetch from the LBS tomorrow), and my P1 is standing forkless whilst I wait for the goons at Hermes to deliver my new Rock Shox :(

Just got my missus's bike back from the LBS. That's going on the turbo which means I wont have to mess around switching wheels / tyres on mine every weekend. Annoyingly hers kicks the shit out of mine spec wise, but I can't steal it for fear of nuts (not the mechanical sort) being removed in sleep.

What fork did you get? I fancy getting a low end upgrade for mine but every time I go to I wonder if it just makes more sense to blow a bit more on a new 29er.

SmokyDave

Just got my missus's bike back from the LBS. That's going on the turbo which means I wont have to mess around switching wheels / tyres on mine every weekend.

Annoyingly hers kicks the shit out of mine spec wise, but I can't steal it for fear of nuts (not the mechanical sort) being removed in sleep.

I feel you. I'm looking for a new bike for the missus. I want to get her something nicer than her current ride, but she doesn't want to spend too much money. That's got me scouring the retro bike classifieds for a little Kona or a little GT but every time I see one, I think 'I want that!'.

I grabbed a bargain 2nd hand Tora (130mm) for the P1. It's a fairly low-end fork but it's only going on my thrash bike, so it'll do fine.

Yeah, I specifically wanted a nice light hardtail because the last one I got her weighed a ton, and had a shit fork on it. She hated riding it, so she stopped riding completely.

This one pretty much ticks all the boxes (Carrera Fury). Good fork, good groupset, solid wheels, tasty brakes. Can't fault it really, aside from the rather unimaginative paint job (white). I love my old GT but it's a 2006 model and it's lacking some bells and whistles. :)

muu

Any Rando-GAF doing winter solstice brevets this year? I was planning on doing the one in Seattle but I'm wimping ou... er, there's family obligations that got in the way. Maybe next year!

I'm really hoping I can pick this bike up mid-year in 2013. I can't stop thinking about it.
JET9CARB_1.jpg

F0NZ

I’m looking into transitioning a bit from mountain to road riding and am looking for some feedback on some bike models that are on my list for possible purchase. The goal is to get out on the road and partake in group rides. I have no intent to compete.
The bikes below are on my radar:

Cannondale CAAD10 4 Rival

Specialized Secteur Expert Disc

Bianchi Impulso Ultegra

Any feedback, or other suggestions (price range similar to above), from BicycleGaf would be really appreciated.

Jobiensis

I’m looking into transitioning a bit from mountain to road riding and am looking for some feedback on some bike models that are on my list for possible purchase. The goal is to get out on the road and partake in group rides. I have no intent to compete.

Bianchi Impulso Ultegra

Any feedback, or other suggestions (price range similar to above), from BicycleGaf would be really appreciated.

I am incredibly satisfied with my CAAD10-4.

In Hawaii I rented a Specialized Allez and a Felt Z85, wasn't impressed with either. The CAAD is much more responsive, this may be somewhat unfair as the rentals came with some real trashy wheels, tires and components. I'll pay the outrageous fees and ship my bike next time.

Bianchi Impulso Ultegra

I think the Bianchi and Specialized will ride a little more comfy than the Cannondale, but the Cannondale is going to be more aggressive. I'm basing this off the geo and I'm still learning so don't take my word for it.

Get the Cannondale CAAD10. It's one of the best aluminum road bikes currently on the market. You really get value for money. A Rival group is excellent too.

I'm ready for my first road bike. I can't take my mountain bike anymore.

My friend told me to get a carbon fork at least. Shimano 108 too. I want to spend 700-1500. Should I wait until January for clearance?

He probably meant Shimano 105--which is the name of a group (shifters, derailers, brakes, etc.) Shimano 105 is better than Tiagra, but worse than Ultegra and Dura-Ace. Shimano 105 is a solid group for a first road bike.

As I said in previous post, the Cannondale CAAD10 is a really nice aluminum road bike. But it's close to 2 grand than $1500.

If you want a bit cheaper, I'd look into the Felt F75 or F85.

He probably meant Shimano 105--which is the name of a group (shifters, derailers, brakes, etc.) Shimano 105 is better than Tiagra, but worse than Ultegra and Dura-Ace. Shimano 105 is a solid group for a first road bike.

As I said in previous post, the Cannondale CAAD10 is a really nice aluminum road bike. But it's close to 2 grand than $1500.

If you want a bit cheaper, I'd look into the Felt F75 or F85.

Holy shit that Felt F75 is sexy as fuck.

Here seems to be a decent write-up about roadbikes under a grand:

http://www.bikeradar.com/gear/article/best-road-bikes-under-1000-32772/

If your total budget is $1500, it may make sense to pick a slightly cheaper bike, and spend the rest on shoes, bibs, jerseys, gloves, pedals, etc. That easily adds up to $500.

Already have pedals, shoes, gloves, and shorts. I know it's ridiculous, but I have been riding with clip-ins on my mountain bike. Just need a decent jacket at this point. I plan to use technical running shirts as my jersey for now.

Well, then I'd seriously consider the F75. I think Felt's offering at that price point are better than, say, Trek's. Also in that price range are the Cannondale CAAD 8 or CAAD 10 with Shimano 105 components.

With bikes like these, I really recommend clipless. You'll get used to it in no time, and it really provides a super smooth and secure ride. Your feet won't slide and power is transferred to the pedals very efficiently. For road riding, Shimano SPD-SL is a popular and quality pedal. And on the topic of jerseys... once you try them, you won't use anything else again. The pockets on the back are handy, and the tight fit reduces drag and makes it way easier to go fast (wind resistance, after all, is the major force slowing your down).

Edit: Also get bibs. Cycling bib shorts. Another one of those things that, once you try 'em, you'll never go back to anything else.

Well, then I'd seriously consider the F75. I think Felt's offering at that price point are better than, say, Trek's. Also in that price range are the Cannondale CAAD 8 or CAAD 10 with Shimano 105 components.

With bikes like these, I really recommend clipless. You'll get used to it in no time, and it really provides a super smooth and secure ride. Your feet won't slide and power is transferred to the pedals very efficiently. For road riding, Shimano SPD-SL is a popular and quality pedal. And on the topic of jerseys... once you try them, you won't use anything else again. The pockets on the back are handy, and the tight fit reduces drag and makes it way easier to go fast (wind resistance, after all, is the major force slowing your down).

Edit: Also get bibs. Cycling bib shorts. Another one of those things that, once you try 'em, you'll never go back to anything else.

Whatever pedal you said is what I have. I have the Shimano ones that have 3 points instead of two with a pair of road shoes.

I will get to the road jersey later next year. :)

Edit: Yep, the pedal you said is the exact one I have.

vidcons

Banned
I haven't been out for a week and a half. Haven't even touched the gym. Between snow and finals, it's just a bitch.

Just got some Conti Four Seasons, though, so I should be able to go out every day once I'm back in town.

Lulubop

Hello, I'm thinking about getting a bike for the spring to help shed some pounds but I'm not exactly sure where to look. I live in Manhattan, and the space in my apartment is really limited. I was thinking of a compact bike but I'd like some recommendations. I mainly plan to ride around the parks along the FDR Drive.

ameratsu

Hello, I'm thinking about getting a bike for the spring to help shed some pounds but I'm not exactly sure where to look. I live in Manhattan, and the space in my apartment is really limited. I was thinking of a compact bike but I'd like some recommendations. I mainly plan to ride around the parks along the FDR Drive.

If space is an issue, there are wall-mountable bike hooks that you can put pretty much anywhere with wall space. I would recommend that over getting a folding bike.

H404-lrg.jpg

Slayer-33

Liverpool-2
Thoughts on this guys?

http://www.specialized.com/us/en/bikes/multi-use/sirrus/sirruselite

It would be used to commute from W54th to W181 ST.. (Hudson River Greenway bike path)

It will be my first serious bike too, I don't know if I should go for a "real" road bike. I'm really serious about starting this already lol. F paying for metrocards.

Missed my weekend ride for the first time in four months because I'm ill. :(

Really wanted to go but I was hallucinating. lol

lol

I use ceiling hooks, one per bike, easy to screw by hand right into a stud. Just hang the bikes by the wheel rim. rim is engineered for bike weight plus a human and gear, so don't worry about it being hung like this.

fskWn.jpg

cm-capture-3-e1299762766651.png

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
If space is an issue, there are wall-mountable bike hooks that you can put pretty much anywhere with wall space. I would recommend that over getting a folding bike.

H404-lrg.jpg

I use ceiling hooks, one per bike, easy to screw by hand right into a stud. Just hang the bikes by the wheel rim. rim is engineered for bike weight plus a human and gear, so don't worry about it being hung like this.

fskWn.jpg

Hello, I'm thinking about getting a bike for the spring to help shed some pounds but I'm not exactly sure where to look.

Buy used. Scour Craigslist for something in your price range. Or better yet, go to a bike coop (often staffed by people passionate and knowledgeable about bikes, but who aren't focused on the latest, expensive gear). There should be bike coops in NYC.

This will be a good way to find out whether you like cycling. Then later, you can always spend more on new bike.

Jobiensis

Garmin needs to protect their market, their future has seemed scary for awhile now.

I've had the feeling that Strava is playing the waiting game, for someone like Garmin to buy them. I don't think I hate that idea either.

SmokyDave

Uh uh uh. Just found a GT Brian Lopes Signature frame for sale and bought the shit out of it. Well, a complete bike but it was the frame I wanted.

It's like a 2nd Xmas. Will post pics when it arrives next week.

ThankeeSai

Got my letter of collection via Halfords Cycle to Work, today!

Have called them and swapped the voucher so I can use it at my local bike shop. Should hopefully be picking my bike up tomorrow afternoon, after work.

Can't wait!

muu

Garmin needs to protect their market, their future has seemed scary for awhile now.

I've had the feeling that Strava is playing the waiting game, for someone like Garmin to buy them. I don't think I hate that idea either.

You can't protect your market w/ a product that does less and costs way more than their competitor. It's not like they're Nintendo, with a shitton of original IP and gameplay innovations that make their game appealing beyond superficial graphics.

So I've read a couple reviews and it seems even the resolution of the screen is the same. They probably have a slightly better chip under the hood but that's still ridiculous -- mapping apps benefit greatly from the increase in resolution. I'm betting they also completely ignored the pleas to fix freezing problems when distance traveled exceed 200-300KM (the only real solution ATM is to reset the odometer and use that as the overall distance traveled, cutting the actual ride into separate chunks). The only real fancy thing they added is the live tracker, which is going to be useful for maybe a handful of folks and some well known bloggers that would benefit from letting users track their progress. On one hand I'm happy that my Edge800 is still more than relevant, on the other hand it's pretty sad that Garmin's made absolutely no progress in the last 2 years.

Jobiensis

Polar is a mess, no matter how questionable Garmin's software and product updates are, they are light years beyond Polar.

Sure some people will be fine with a $15 Cat Eye and their phone. But let's not pretend that a phone is a superior fitness recording device. While they can take some of the masses, they are fragile devices with limited connectivity options, no decently accurate method of elevation recording, and relatively bad battery life.

There are a ton of things I'd like to see Garmin do, that they haven't. I'm not really over joyed with their progress on things, but they are doing very well financially with their fitness lines. Last 'fun' ride century I did, I recall seeing a crapload of Garmins and they are by far the most common recording device on Strava with people using HRM or power.

What really frustrates me with Garmin is they could be so much better, not that they aren't the best device for the task.

You can't protect your market w/ a product that does less and costs way more than their competitor. It's not like they're Nintendo, with a shitton of original IP and gameplay innovations that make their game appealing beyond superficial graphics.

So I've read a couple reviews and it seems even the resolution of the screen is the same. They probably have a slightly better chip under the hood but that's still ridiculous -- mapping apps benefit greatly from the increase in resolution. I'm betting they also completely ignored the pleas to fix freezing problems when distance traveled exceed 200-300KM (the only real solution ATM is to reset the odometer and use that as the overall distance traveled, cutting the actual ride into separate chunks). The only real fancy thing they added is the live tracker, which is going to be useful for maybe a handful of folks and some well known bloggers that would benefit from letting users track their progress. On one hand I'm happy that my Edge800 is still more than relevant, on the other hand it's pretty sad that Garmin's made absolutely no progress in the last 2 years.
Thats exactly what I'm saying. Garmin is turning into just a name that won't mean munch until they realize that they're making expensive sun-par niche upgrades (exaggerating) now. They need a killer app or something to get them back on the top before mobile phones ruin them, if they haven't already. And I say that with hope, I don't want to use my expensive phone's slow GPS sampling with the risk of breaking it, or killing the battery for when I do need it.

What really frustrates me with Garmin is they could be so much better, not that they aren't the best device for the task.
I couldn't have said it more perfectly. They're coasting along without understanding the reality that they can lose what they have within just a few years.

I don't pretend to know anything about building software, but Garmin Connect looks exactly the same as it did when I bought my Forerunner 305 years ago. Its not social enough and lack simple options. If I accidently leave my GPS on on the car ride home, welp, fuck, can't edit that without opening the file in a text editor and manually removing GPS record points. Yet on Strava I can move a dial and boom, fixed.

Maybe I should stop caring about all this and just ride bikes dammit.

On the topic of bikes, I got a Feedback Elite Pro Repair Stand.
IMG_0718.JPG

Its awesome. The clamp design is well thought out and has a neat quick release button. If anyone is looking for a high quality stand, I can't recommend this one enough.

I told myself that as parts break, I'll upgrade them myself and learn the maintenance. Even though I'll be replacing this bike soon, I want to keep it for friends to ride to get them into the sport. My bottom bracket has been creaking really bad and I think the bearings are shot and now causing some pedal resistance. I found a new take-off SLX crankset on eBay for $130, I couldn't turn that deal down. It should be here tomorrow. I bought all the tools to install it and I'm excited to do my first real upgrade/repair.

vidcons

Banned
my GoPro handlebar mount comes tomorrow, woo!

Nice. How are you liking the GoPro? I wanted one for no reason other than putting some flavor-of-the-day rap over hill descents but $$$

Hey, I just bought a mechanics stand today. Also picked up some thermal silk liners for my hands and feet.

Everyone getting out into the winter riding weather?

I was, I'm not now...

Was diagnosed with DVT in my right leg last friday. Need a week of injections, three months or more on anti-coagulant medication. 2 years of wearing a stocking (sexy!).

At the absolute best I wont be on the bike for at least a month, and even after that I'm going to have to stick to safer routes as the last thing I want to do is bleed out on the side of a hill somewhere. :(

Apparently I'm more likely to get DVT because I'm genetically (or hereditarily) predisposed to it (certain proteins or something, I don't remember exactly what they said). Usually something like this would occur because of an injury but for me it happened because of a previous muscle tear restricting blood flow combined with a bad fever making me extremely dehydrated plus finally spending two days in bed because of said fever.

Stupid goddamn world.

SmokyDave

On the topic of bikes, I got a Feedback Elite Pro Repair Stand.
IMG_0718.JPG

Its awesome. The clamp design is well thought out and has a neat quick release button. If anyone is looking for a high quality stand, I can't recommend this one enough.

I told myself that as parts break, I'll upgrade them myself and learn the maintenance. Even though I'll be replacing this bike soon, I want to keep it for friends to ride to get them into the sport. My bottom bracket has been creaking really bad and I think the bearings are shot and now causing some pedal resistance. I found a new take-off SLX crankset on eBay for $130, I couldn't turn that deal down. It should be here tomorrow. I bought all the tools to install it and I'm excited to do my first real upgrade/repair.
Don't forget the drive-side of the bottom bracket has a left hand thread!

Enjoy yourself, bike maintenance is awesome. Before long you'll be speccing yourself a scratch build and your wallet will cry.

Putting this on a new page for some sympathy. :(

I was, I'm not now...

Was diagnosed with DVT in my right leg last friday. Need a week of injections, three months or more on anti-coagulant medication. 2 years of wearing a stocking (sexy!).

At the absolute best I wont be on the bike for at least a month, and even after that I'm going to have to stick to safer routes as the last thing I want to do is bleed out on the side of a hill somewhere. :(

Apparently I'm more likely to get DVT because I'm genetically (or hereditarily) predisposed to it (certain proteins or something, I don't remember exactly what they said). Usually something like this would occur because of an injury but for me it happened because of a previous muscle tear restricting blood flow combined with a bad fever making me extremely dehydrated plus finally spending two days in bed because of said fever.

Stupid goddamn world.

Top Bottom