• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bicycle age

Found myself doing my first Category 2 climbs on my mountain bike this week. I'm sure the roadies will scoff that they're nothing, but with mud and rocks in the equation they just about destroyed me.

Not sure I ever want to try Cat 1 or HC on a mountain bike trail.

My first training ride was on my mountain bike and it had a surprise Cat3 hill. I say 'surprise' as in I didn't know until I mapped it that it was a Cat3. Congrats on doing a Cat2.

Jobiensis

So your legs are feeling good?

Hill classification is kind of meaningless, in a race they are classified relative to the stage they are in. A hill might be listed as Cat4 in a flat stage that wouldn't get any classification at all in a hilly stage.

I've done a bunch of Strava HCs, Strava puts a ton of emphasis on total work (kJ), so long steady climbs are going to be 1s or HCs. So there are HCs that are actually really easy to climb, while I know of a Cat3 that will make most recreational cyclists walk their bike. In a race, road conditions are considered too, so a rough gravel road that requires you to be out of the saddle balancing your weight might get a higher classification than if the surface was smooth asphalt.

I've done quite a bit of climbing on dirt and gravel roads, and snow packed roads with 23mm road tires @ 110psi, and that makes anything other than a gradual ascent much more difficult. So, no scoffing here. ;)

Define good, they were agony last night but thankfully a different type of pain to what I had a few weeks ago! (I've done four trails over the last five days)

As for the hills, these were on mapmyride. I've never really noticed them on Strava because I don't use it for mapping.

Edit - Seems Strava reckoned the segment was Cat 2 as well. First mile of the hill was at 11-13%, oddly enough that bit wasn't so bad because the surface was pretty good.

Holiday all done. Ended on a top quality red which was a good test of my current fitness.

I need a new bike though, or at least some new suspension.

waypoetic

Banned
My weekly trip down to the beach by the ocean.

%7BE1F1ADE8-6A36-4D80-A88C-242A502CD2A6%7D.jpg

davidnic

Went in a cirt on the weekend came 4th in A Grade so I am pretty happy it pretty much was all in 1 and 2's on the 2nd lap, the crosswinds came out and played. lol

88km Handicap on this weekend so I am looking forward to that.

Jobiensis

Went in a cirt on the weekend came 4th in A Grade so I am pretty happy it pretty much was all in 1 and 2's on the 2nd lap, the crosswinds came out and played. lol

Congrats, good job!

Had an off weekend.

1) self inflicted bike mechanical issues (swapping a standard crank in for a compact @ 9:30pm is a bad idea)
2) Sat group ride dropped by A group
3) Latched on to B group... dropped by B group
4) Team 'fun' crit on Sat evening, got destroyed on the first hill

Basically first world problems

I'm fairly satisfied with a 33rd place for my first Cat4 race. Really went into it with a bad attitude and crappy outlook. Was pretty fun course, especially since it was close to a full field (105 racers), that helped clear the attitude out. Great practice working up the middle. Need to keep more on the edges for the final laps, missed a chance to latch on to a move and gain better position at the end of the second lap. My other issue is gearing, don't even realize it during the race, but I'm spinning out during my sprints, need to remember to pop it up a cog or two.

Man, I don't understand people. I was coming down a street here and a guy cut me off for a parking spot. I yell at him and pull up alongside to give him my "you're a fucking idiot" glare and he reacts to this by stopping his parking and pulls out straight at me. I get out of the way (hitting the driver's window with my hand to help force myself away) but he brakes, reverses, and heads right for me a second time. Luckily he stops and pulls the fuck out of there but I'm left shaking like a leaf and I still have about 6-7 blocks to ride to work. I take a long hot shower to help get the adrenaline out and I'm a little better now but damn. How is running someone over a rational response to anything? I just wish I could have had something recording so I could file a report.

Unrelated, noticed that my suspension was complaining a lot on a red trail last week. Opened up one of my mountain bike magazines today to see a picture of someone holding their (snapped in half) full bouncer after doing the same trail.

I think I might replace my fork before doing that trail again. :D

muu

Days of Google Glass can't come soon enough. I'd bet a lot of people will start behaving better once they realize there's an exponentially higher chance they're going to be on youtube for doing something that errs on the side of asshattery.

Still trying to heal from injury 3 1/2 months ago. Last weekend asshole friend hits me on the other groin w/ a foosball handle and now that side's possible out as well. I'm in such fucking luck.

Exuro

I imagine it'll be quite heavy, but it'll do for pootling around on. What sort of cycling are you looking to do?
I have a lot of light dirt trails by the mountain and river I like to ride on and off also use it to come to school which is about a 5 minute ride.

Socreges

Banned
So in a few hours I'll be biking about 40km. Any tips for endurance? I'll make sure I'm hydrated, got a snack, tires are pumped. Gonna pace myself, of course. Anything else?

Coreda

I know it's probably a stretch but can anyone ID these fixed gear bikes?:

Unsure whether customized or not but loved the design and color. I typically walk to most local places but might take up cycling if I could find a bike like these (the light green one especially for the color).

ameratsu

I know it's probably a stretch but can anyone ID these fixed gear bikes?:

Unsure whether customized or not but loved the design and color. I typically walk to most local places but might take up cycling if I could find a bike like these (the light green one especially for the color).

Those are old road bike frames have been painted and converted to fixed gear. Don't buy a bike based on aesthetics alone. Buy something that fits you and that you like to ride. The handlebars on the green bike look particularly terrible for comfort and hand position choices compared to a standard drop bar. The black framed bike looks to be of low quality judging by the dropouts. Have you ridden fixed before?

muu

I still can't get used to the fact that we have more than one groin.

oh hush :p you'll think of them as two separate things (one on the left and one on the other) once you pull it.

Right side wasn't hurt as badly as I thought, it's paving its way to recovery quickly. Still icing my left side to hell and back.

Coming back from camping this weekend I passed a guy on I84 in Oregon ~the Dalles who had a sign on his panniers that said, "follow my blog at" and that's as far as I got. I've been trying different Google searches to find him but "bike" plus "blog" isn't the best search terms to use, no matter what else I use. Does anyone know of a guy going cross-country and is in the Oregon/Portland area right now? I say Portland because if he's making decent time he should be here today or tomorrow.

In Florida we have to make our own mountains. This is my first time at Amelia Earhart Park, really these are only man-man-man-made stuff there. Its very fast and flow-y but lacks in just about anything technical besides trying to go faster and not flying off course. The elevations changes are nothing compared to anywhere else I'm sure, but this place has the most I've seen in SoFla.

Some of the best trails I've done had very little in the way of elevation changes, but massive amounts of flow. Done right you can turn something as small as a hundred meter drop into a hugely memorable descent.

Coreda

Those are old road bike frames have been painted and converted to fixed gear. Don't buy a bike based on aesthetics alone. Buy something that fits you and that you like to ride. The handlebars on the green bike look particularly terrible for comfort and hand position choices compared to a standard drop bar. The black framed bike looks to be of low quality judging by the dropouts. Have you ridden fixed before?

Thanks for all the info and advice. I've ridden fixed gear before, it's been awhile since then though, so I may try them out again. I know it shouldn't all be about looks but I've always been jealous of thinly-framed bicycles such as racing bikes :p

belvedere

Junior Butler
Quick question from a bike/cycling noob.

I was offered a 2009 GT Avalanche 2.0 for $200. I live next to a popular asphalt biking trail where I would use it most often. Still waiting on more pics, but it seems like it's in good condition and the seller is willing to put road tires on it for me. I figured since the trail is mostly asphalt with some gravel, a mountain bike with road tires would suit me better than trying to adapt a road bike into a mountain bike.

$200 seems like a good price to me, but what say you, gaf?

SmokyDave

My 6mm brake hose has arrived so I can finally fit my Hope rear! I've been running Hope on the front and Avid on the back and it felt weird.

Quick question from a bike/cycling noob.

I was offered a 2009 GT Avalanche 2.0 for $200. I live next to a popular asphalt biking trail where I would use it most often. Still waiting on more pics, but it seems like it's in good condition and the seller is willing to put road tires on it for me. I figured since the trail is mostly asphalt with some gravel, a mountain bike with road tires would suit me better than trying to adapt a road bike into a mountain bike.

$200 seems like a good price to me, but what say you, gaf?
Plus, mountain bikes are just flat out cooler. The price sounds fair to me too but obviously it depends on condition and sizing. Make sure you're happy with the 'fit'.

Nice bikes, Avalanches.

belvedere

Junior Butler
My 6mm brake hose has arrived so I can finally fit my Hope rear! I've been running Hope on the front and Avid on the back and it felt weird.

Plus, mountain bikes are just flat out cooler. The price sounds fair to me too but obviously it depends on condition and sizing. Make sure you're happy with the 'fit'.

Nice bikes, Avalanches.

Excellent, I appreciate the feedback. The bike does look pretty nice. If I get it, I'll be back here with some really foolish questions I'm sure.

mil6es

Ello cycle-gaf I've just ordered a 2013 Charge Zester Hybrid in a bid to commute to work/get fit again( Zone 3/4 south London to EC1about 12 miles)

any tips or help pearls of wisdom to impart on me i.e what to get and what to do, I've got helmet and bike lock on my list so far so ready for more.

Sadly my bikes were stolen earlier this year. After I got over the loss, I began to get excited about getting to start from scratch on a new collection. :D

Here is the first bike purchase!

All-City Space Horse

allcityspacehorse-1.jpg

I cannot wait to get out there and start bike commuting again!

First accessory purchase:

MKS Grip King pedals:

3576717672_e119d48de0.jpg

WedgeX

Banned
Went for a 26 mile ride today, with brunch halfway through. Nice, steady climb one way, and a descent coming back. And a sprint up a big hill to end it! Finally accustomed to the gear changing, and road comfortably in high gear most of the way. My legs felt great! Although also like stone afterwards. Its the longest I've biked in about two years, having not biked too far post-breaking my foot in an unrelated way.

equap

Banned
I want to get my first serious mountain bike. I was told it's better to get a hard tail for your first bike so you'll learn to control it better or something like that. Is this true?

I want to spend less than $1000 for one but I don't know where to begin. I'd like to do some reading online, see my options before going to a local bike shop. any good website(s) for a noob?

SmokyDave

I want to get my first serious mountain bike. I was told it's better to get a hard tail for your first bike so you'll learn to control it better or something like that. Is this true?
Riding rigid / hardtail definitely teaches you bike control and how best to pick your lines on the trail. You'll get more for your money than you would with a full-susser, and there's less maintenance.

That said, I love my full-susser and 9 rides out of 10, that's the one I throw a leg over. I put my time in on hardtails years ago though, and I'm definitely a better rider for it.

I want to spend less than $1000 for one but I don't know where to begin. I'd like to do some reading online, see my options before going to a local bike shop. any good website(s) for a noob?
There are some decent forums like mtbr, singletrackworld and pinkbike. There's probably chunks of info on the websites of the major retailers in your area too. You can always ask any questions in here, and feel free to badger the guys at your lbs. Grab a few brochures and a magazine or two while you're there, and do a little reading on the loo.

Is there anything in particular you wanted / needed to know?

Riding rigid / hardtail definitely teaches you bike control and how best to pick your lines on the trail. You'll get more for your money than you would with a full-susser, and there's less maintenance.

That said, I love my full-susser and 9 rides out of 10, that's the one I throw a leg over. I put my time in on hardtails years ago though, and I'm definitely a better rider for it.

There are some decent forums like mtbr, singletrackworld and pinkbike. There's probably chunks of info on the websites of the major retailers in your area too. You can always ask any questions in here, and feel free to badger the guys at your lbs. Grab a few brochures and a magazine or two while you're there, and do a little reading on the loo.

Is there anything in particular you wanted / needed to know?

I just wanted to second all of this advice.

As for one of my favorite $1000 mtn bikes, I am a fan of the Trek Cobia

Seems like a lot for not a very impressive spec. I'd recommend some much better value bikes (taking into consideration exchange rates) but none of them seem to be available in the US.

Maybe bikes are just more expensive over there.

Onikaan

Can anyone recommend a good finish for a matt frame.

My poor Spesh FSR is starting to look a bit weathered, and I wanted to shine it up a bit. I used to just cover it in Muc Off's Bike Spray product which was brilliant at making the frame look new. It also hid all the scuffs and scrapes, but after a wash it was gone and needed re-applied.

Any ideas for something that might stay on a little longer? (Remember, it's matt paint and it's black).

SmokyDave

Can anyone recommend a good finish for a matt frame.

My poor Spesh FSR is starting to look a bit weathered, and I wanted to shine it up a bit. I used to just cover it in Muc Off's Bike Spray product which was brilliant at making the frame look new. It also hid all the scuffs and scrapes, but after a wash it was gone and needed re-applied.

Any ideas for something that might stay on a little longer? (Remember, it's matt paint and it's black).
Pictures! Always like to see an FSR.

As for washing it, I'm not much help. I always use a bucket of warm soapy water and some Muc-Off, cracking out the GT85 for particularly stubborn oily stains.

Seems like a lot for not a very impressive spec. I'd recommend some much better value bikes (taking into consideration exchange rates) but none of them seem to be available in the US.

Maybe bikes are just more expensive over there.

Mountain bikes have gotten rather pricey in the U.S. over the last five years. :(

SmokyDave

Mountain bikes have gotten rather pricey in the U.S. over the last five years. :(
It's the materials, I reckon. Frames seem to have risen roughly in line with inflation, but everything else has gone nuts. Groupsets and suspension forks have become crazy expensive.

I only buy 2nd hand nowadays, but then I can service a bike from top to bottom and know what to look for when I'm buying. It's tough to advise others on how to buy 2nd hand wisely.

It's the materials, I reckon. Frames seem to have risen roughly in line with inflation, but everything else has gone nuts. Groupsets and suspension forks have become crazy expensive.

I only buy 2nd hand nowadays, but then I can service a bike from top to bottom and know what to look for when I'm buying. It's tough to advise others on how to buy 2nd hand wisely.

When I was stilling running a shop, Shimano parts were increasing at a double digit rate every year. They are pricing themselves out of the market.

It's also important to note that nobody pays MSRP in the U.S. on bikes. :)

Top Bottom