• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bicycle age

Jobiensis

No races for two weeks, my legs are a mess, so I'm taking a break for a couple days. Thinking of getting a Marc Pro EMS unit to help my recovery. Not sure if it will produce results worth the price and trouble hooking myself up for a an hour or two a day. Also, FYI Icy-Hot does work well relieving muscle pain, but it can make you cry if you 1) Get it on an area with sunburn 2) Get it on your testicles.

Just booked myself onto this: http://www.cyclingweekly.co.uk/news/latest/538854/cycling-weekly-lakeland-monster-miles.html

First time I've ever done any mass participation cycling. Scary. Also, it'll mostly be filthy roadies on their CX bikes I imagine so I fully expect to take about two hours longer on my mountain bike. :D

Oh, don't worry, there are tons of slow, fat roadies that will probably take two hours longer than you. :)

I don't think I've every really gone in for that stuff. Pretty much the most I've ever used is a bath or hot tub with some bubbly stuff. :)

ATF487

Pinched both tires when I was out biking the other day, right in the middle of the road (I was avoiding someone double parking in the bike lane). Was lucky to stay upright and have it happen about two blocks from the subway

Always keep your tires properly inflated kids

equap

Banned
Seems like a lot for not a very impressive spec. I'd recommend some much better value bikes (taking into consideration exchange rates) but none of them seem to be available in the US.

Maybe bikes are just more expensive over there.
I'm looking at the spec for that bike and I see names and numbers. No idea what they are and if they're good or not. It's not like buying a computer or a phone...

I guess it's just overwhelming for me when looking to buy new or used mountain bike.

ameratsu

Maybe some of you roadies can help me here.

I've been doing more group riding but having a little trouble when taking turns. I usually ride in smaller groups, but i have trouble gauging how far I am infront of the guy when i merge into the line. I hope that makes sense. Last thing I want to do is cut it short and hit their front wheel. Guys I've been riding with have complained that I accelerate when taking turns, which I understand is bad form.

cbox

When riding in a group and I'm in front I always turn around to see where the guy behind me is, and I try to make really easy turns. No sweeping or swerving. Hope that helps!

SmokyDave

I've been doing more group riding but having a little trouble when taking turns. I usually ride in smaller groups, but i have trouble gauging how far I am infront of the guy when i merge into the line. I hope that makes sense. Last thing I want to do is cut it short and hit their front wheel. Guys I've been riding with have complained that I accelerate when taking turns, which I understand is bad form.

Roadies, man. All that tight clothing does you no good.

Mountain bikers just fling 'emselves down the trail with reckless abandon. The only 'bad form' is not getting the first round in at the pub if it's your turn.

;)

f0nz0

Recentky, me and a couple of my buddies been hitting up some mountain bike trails here in northern cal (granite bay and salmon falls) had an awesome time and really love the thrill of ripping through the mountain .. I currently have a diamondback response which is a pretty entry level hardtail.. And im depressed that i wont ever be able to afford a good full suspension bike!

davidnic

There is a easy way to tell when to cross to look behind and make sure you not going to hit, you will get use to where to be after a couple of races. If you are taking turns I don't believe you accelerate when you hit the front you just want to keep a nice even pace then you can up.

equap

Banned
is there a standard for the clipped pedals and the shoes?

I mean, I want to get clipped pedals and shoes for my road bike right? but once I get my mountain bike, I just want to get another pair of clipped pedals to go with my current clipped shoes.

maybe I can get the same pedals for both but maybe not, who knows.

robox

going by shimano's naming scheme, spd for mountain, spd-sl for road.
but there's nothing stopping you from using one or the other on a bike. i have spd on my road bike, because i didn't want full-on road shoe for commuting duties

Jobiensis

I would presume you are nervous and slow down too much before, and then have to surge after the apex. Accordian effect will mean that someone ten places back may have to get out of the saddle and sprint to not get dropped. Relax, don't focus on the wheel in front of you, anticipate the speed needed by the riders ahead of you (not the one wheel), if you need to bleed a little speed, sit up, or go a little out of the draft, and if you need to brake, feather the brakes. I wouldn't watch a speedometer, but try to keep your cadence smooth, if you need to speed up, either you slowed down too much before/during the turn or the person in front of you surged. Practice and experience.

Mountain bikers just fling 'emselves down the trail with reckless abandon. The only 'bad form' is not getting the first round in at the pub if it's your turn.

Sounds like a Cat5 race.

going by shimano's naming scheme, spd for mountain, spd-sl for road.
but there's nothing stopping you from using one or the other on a bike. i have spd on my road bike, because i didn't want full-on road shoe for commuting duties

Yep, I used SPD on my road bike for a couple of months too.

I've been putting this off for years but I need a bike tired of walking but instead of going to Walmart or Target and walking out with a cheap bike I've been thinking about some cheap internet bikes like Sole http://www.solebicycles.com/collections/bikes and Republic http://www.republicbike.com/gallery.asp

thought I would spend $300 max something very simple and cheap

doing a little research it seems many bike forums hate these bikes because they are crap but I see it more as Bike Snobs just knowing too much about their hobby to car about artsy hipster bikes - mostly because of the reasons they give 26lbs is to heavy and the Steel frame needs to be something else that is elite

so looking for reviews on these Sole Bikes I find this video http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5-4nCCBJqLA

So the guy owns a bike shop so he is an expert and shits over the customer because they got these useless pretty bikes

After looking at the mass produced fixes I started thinking of what I really want the bike for and it is really not joy riding at the park but to go a few blocks maybe even more to get a gallon of milk at the market and bring it home without needing someone to drive me.

so I though a Cargo Bike would be a good idea

http://www.republicbike.com/cargo_bikes.asp

I don't really want to do anything with my bike but ride it to and from someplace I don't want to think about gears so the video just really turned me off from asking bike lovers about what i should get lol

Jobiensis

Heh, could be a crap bike won't last, but you obviously know more than anybody else.

Get what you want, but your post has pretty much turned me off from helping you. lol

JPKellams

Can I vent about how crazy hard it is to set up a SRAM Yaw Red FD? I went to make some adjustments after a cable issue and totally screwed things up. Ended up having to go to the LBS and get it essentially reinstalled.

Jobiensis

Just bought a wired SRM, not the snazziest thing, but less than 500 for an ultra light power meter. Now I need a set of 50mm carbon clinchers!

So I'm going to get the Shimano A530 pedals for my road bike. I think these are good for my first clipped pedals...

Now I gotta look at shoes...

Shimano also has nice shoes.

Can I vent about how crazy hard it is to set up a SRAM Yaw Red FD? I went to make some adjustments after a cable issue and totally screwed things up. Ended up having to go to the LBS and get it essentially reinstalled.

I could imagine. Decided to switch out a compact for a standard crank, that was a big enough pain in the ass, throwing another range of motion...

XenoRaven

I have noob questions.

I am thinking about biking to work. It's about an 8 mile trip each way. There is a bike trail that pretty much runs from my house to work. I don't want to spend more than $500. What would you guys recommend?

Also, if it matters I'm just under 5'10" and about 185 lbs.

muu

Got two consecutive days of riding, 15mi yesterday and 10mi today, no lingering pain long as I pop Ibu, ride the foam roller and ice like crazy. Gonna try doing the commute to work Tuesday and hopefully Wed, if I can do that pain-free I think I'm halfway there to recovery. Goal is to be able to do back-to-back centuries in two weeks (STP is on the 13th), dunno if I'm gonna be able to make that but I sure as hell am going to try.

muu

Still the same hip bursitis and groin sprain from 4 months ago. Got ran off the road and fucked it up apparently on a soft landing at 20mph.

Jobiensis

Cross my fingers for you, muu.

I have noob questions.

I am thinking about biking to work. It's about an 8 mile trip each way. There is a bike trail that pretty much runs from my house to work. I don't want to spend more than $500. What would you guys recommend?

Also, if it matters I'm just under 5'10" and about 185 lbs.

That is a good price to look at a hybrid, fixed tail mountain or fitness/commute bike. I would really suggest to find the three closest bike shops, and go to each one and tell them your price and what you want to do, and listen to their suggestions. Once you are done, pick the bike and shop you felt the most comfortable with. Be aware you are probably going to spend a little bit more on things like lights, helmet, clothes, etc.

Seems to be mostly marketing driven, though I've heard that the 29ers provide a smoother ride because of how they roll. My next bike will likely be a 29er but that's got more to do with the fact that most bikes are these days than anything else.

650b seems largely pointless. My 26er has tyres of similar volume to standard 650b right now anyway, but I guess there's no harm in a little extra clearance.

Nero3000

I've only lurked in this topic before:

After never really riding bicycle before February this year, tomorrow i depart for Paris for 180 mile charity ride back to London.

I've done the training but still getting nervous now. Wish me luck.

RivalCore

After never really riding bicycle before February this year, tomorrow i depart for Paris for 180 mile charity ride back to London.

Hope you have a comfy saddle mate! Good luck!

Change your hand position often. Get up and out of the saddle for a few moments every few minutes. Keep loose, drink before you thirsty. Slow and steady!

Cross my fingers for you, muu.

That is a good price to look at a hybrid, fixed tail mountain or fitness/commute bike. I would really suggest to find the three closest bike shops, and go to each one and tell them your price and what you want to do, and listen to their suggestions. Once you are done, pick the bike and shop you felt the most comfortable with. Be aware you are probably going to spend a little bit more on things like lights, helmet, clothes, etc.

Excellent advice. Budget $150 or so for accessories.

snack

hey gaf,

i am looking for a bike with a thin frame sorta like this one here (http://stylecartel.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/12/284333_I1870_8730_002-1024x763.jpg). a one speeder fixie is on the top of my list.

recently, i have been hitting up the vancouver seawall. but the costs for renting a bike add up, so i was thinking of getting one myself.

i am looking to spend 400 dollars max on it. can be used or new, i don't really mind either way. as long as it works i will be happy. are white frame bikes harder to keep clean? still deciding on the color. should i get one off craigslist? or go to an actual bike store? thanks.

hey gaf,

i am looking for a bike with a thin frame sorta like this one here (http://stylecartel.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/12/284333_I1870_8730_002-1024x763.jpg). a one speeder fixie is on the top of my list.

recently, i have been hitting up the vancouver seawall. but the costs for renting a bike add up, so i was thinking of getting one myself.

i am looking to spend 400 dollars max on it. can be used or new, i don't really mind either way. as long as it works i will be happy. are white frame bikes harder to keep clean? still deciding on the color. should i get one off craigslist? or go to an actual bike store? thanks.

Why fixie, if you don't mind me asking? How much riding have you done?

muu

Morning commute beaten. Groin got a little sore towards the middle, used parts of my saddle to do some prodding around the area and it felt great the rest of the way in.

You'll feel it, but that's definitely a doable distance! Ride safe, wear bright colors, take pictures, eat the worst food imaginable (you need lots of salt and sugar!) and have a lot of fun.

WedgeX

Banned
My biking has been a great success with the acquisition of my Giant Kronos. Now my ladyfriend is getting ready to upgrade from her current road bike. She plans on using a new bike for both commuting and triathlon competing.

Currently she's looking at used bikes, including a Giant Avail for $400 or a Giant TCR Advanced W for $600. Neither looked too beat up from pictures. Any idea on which is better component or value-wise?

Jobiensis

My biking has been a great success with the acquisition of my Giant Kronos. Now my ladyfriend is getting ready to upgrade from her current road bike. She plans on using a new bike for both commuting and triathlon competing.

Currently she's looking at used bikes, including a Giant Avail for $400 or a Giant TCR Advanced W for $600. Neither looked too beat up from pictures. Any idea on which is better component or value-wise?

IMO, the TCR is much better overall. Some people prefer Shimano some people prefer SRAM. I'm a SRAM fan, but I don't think too many would disagree that Force is a bit better than 105 (and a lot better than Tiagra).

The Avail is a relaxed geometry aluminum, the TCR is a carbon race bike.

cbox

The TCR is a better bike, much better for only 200 more. It's very similar in terms of geometry to my Giant roady, and it's incredibly comfortable for me during long rides. I've never used SRAM components so I can't make judgement.

equap

Banned
so I went to a local bike shop yesterday and I got a pretty good deal on a 2014 Specialized Rockhopper Comp!

can't freaking wait to get it!!!

Eiolon

Any recommendations on an entry level mountain bike? I'd like to not exceed $700 if at all possible. I just want to ride trails not do anything crazy like high jumps or anything.

Top Bottom