• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bicycle age

Socreges

Banned
Looking at the Cannondale Bad Boy Solo now. Good parts for the price, rigid fork, pretty light.

Anyone at all familiar with it? Gonna buy it within the next hour, I think.

Was looking closely at the Giant Roam XR2, but decided it wasn't worth getting a lock-out suspension fork since it adds about 3lbs. and really isn't necessary.

Fuck I'm sick of bikes. Too many hours dealing with salespeople, as helpful as they've been.

waypoetic

Banned
You could always start by posting your own.

I actually don't have very many pictures of my bike without me being on it.

5geTzV8.jpg

jizVyX9.jpg

Nice! Alright, my turn.

1004914_10151527888657016_153454337_n.jpg

Socreges

Banned
Finally got my new bike! The Roam XR2. Decided I'd like the extra comfort that the suspension affords and could happily sacrifice the weight/efficiency

Gonna take it for the maiden voyage now. I'll post a picture of it leaning against a nondescript wall in black and white later on. ;)

ameratsu

Finally got my new bike! The Roam XR2. Decided I'd like the extra comfort that the suspension affords and could happily sacrifice the weight/efficiency

Gonna take it for the maiden voyage now. I'll post a picture of it leaning against a nondescript wall in black and white later on. ;)

Congrats on the new bike. Looks like a great all-rounder.

Good pick! Of all the bikes you've posted I think that was the one most suited to your needs. Enjoy the ride, and post some pictures!

Mascot

Those Woodside ones look like fantastic bargains. Might grab one to use on the trainer.

I've ordered one and should get it on Friday (not much of a risk for a tenner..!) so will post some detailed comments in a week or so after a few rides.

I've seen people put juice in theirs, forget about it, and then have it go mouldy a couple of days later.

I found my long-missing aluminium SIGG bottle in an old tennis racquet bag recently. It was half-filled with orange squash that over the past seven or eight years had broken down into some primeval crystalline sludge. I've tried boiling water and bleach but so far can't shift the sickly stench. I had to use a long lever to unscrew the cap as well - it was like the bottle was trying to protect me from its evil contents.

Socreges

Banned
Congrats on the new bike. Looks like a great all-rounder.

Good pick! Of all the bikes you've posted I think that was the one most suited to your needs. Enjoy the ride, and post some pictures!

/thumbs up
I feel like, in a way, this is your bike too, Bicycle Age. But in a more specific, reality-based way, this is my bike and my bike only.

I do think it's the one most suited to my needs. Took it around for a jaunt and was impressed at how it did everything. The front suspension is so smooth (I deliberately went to places that would test it) and the acceleration is leagues better than it was with my previous mountain bike (w/ road tires). Most of all, though, it's just very comfortable and fits perfectly, like an extension of the body. I rode nine different bikes today at about the same price point, all pretty sweet, but this was the one that felt the most snug.

I'll take some pics this weekend for sure. Will try and find some interesting/unique locations to share.

Thanks again for all the help, guys.

SmokyDave

Ok guys, let's see your weapon of choice!
Oh, OK then... (Apologies to everyone that has seen 'em at least 32 times!).

First up, my '11 P1 jump / street bike in its natural habitat:

Next, my '09 FSR XC Expert, chilling at the trailside:

Now for my '05 Lopes. The love of my life but sadly awaiting back end realignment:

Finally, my mint '96 RTS 3. Currently in bits being scrubbed, polished and awaiting re-assembly:

All photos taken on the fly with an iPhone, so apologies for the quality (or lack thereof!).

waypoetic

Banned
Nice shots Dave! How's that Specialized P1 btw?

EDIT: Maybe i should clarify what my bike actually "is"; it's an ss roadbike with shimano pd r540 pedals, racing tires (although i'm getting a new pair next month from michelin), shimano 105 v-brakes and i love it. It's a work in progress and it's fun as hell to work on. I'll probably buy a geared roadbike next year when the season starts. I've got no problem at all keeping up with the guys on their cervelo's and all those other geared roadbikes, so i'm pretty satisfied with what i've got right now.

SmokyDave

You guys are embracing n+1 bikes far better than I. :)
I'm right up at S-1 to be honest. I could probably build at least two more from the bits in my cellar though ;)

Nice shots Dave! How's that Specialized P1 btw?
I fucking love it. Wish it was Reynolds 531 or 853 rather than 520, but I'll survive. The frame is actually pretty lovely for a mass-produced jobbie. Full of funky little touches all over, I'll take some snaps at some point. Not all that keen on the BMX bottom bracket, but it's manageable.

69.5 degree head angle, add in a 600mm top tube*, a 35mm stem and a 780mm wide bar and the handling is fucking crazy. Lean back slightly and you're in a manual, lean to either side slightly and you're carving. I love the single speed aspect too. No shifters cluttering up the bars, quick and smooth freewheel engagement. It's a very different ride from the FSR, they're like chalk & cheese.

*remarkably, despite the 13" seat tube (that drops below the back wheel!), it's classed as a large!

SmokyDave

Dave, you've got three mountain bikes? Or is one a CX? On my phone so the images are a bit small.
Four. One singlespeed jump / street bike, one hardcore / 4x hardtail, one modern full suspension and one classic full suspension. Then there's a nice ball burnished Avalanche frame in the cellar that I can't be arsed to build because I'd have no use for it.

I also have a literal bucket of suspension forks including a lovely pair of classic Judy DHOs and some carbon & magnesium Pace RC36s.

I don't have my dream though: a '92 Karakoram in Tequila Sunrise. My first serious mountain bike. I'd love to buy another but I don't really have room and I can't decide which bike I'd sell to make space for it :(

Mascot

You don't use road bikes off road, period... unless you're actively trying to hurt yourself anyway.

CX bikes are an option, but they don't have anywhere near the off roading ability of a hybrid. It really comes down to what you're looking for as if you're going to spend 90% of your time on a road or path then a CX will do fine... but I wouldn't like to try one on anything other than a green rated natural trail (maybe a trail centre blue).

Of course, if you're made of money you buy all the bikes. :D

I immediately thought of Martyn Ashton's Road Bike Party when I read your comment, Psycho, but forgot to post a link to it. Then last night I watched this week's The Cycling Show on ITV4 (which was an excellent episode, by the way **link here**) and Martyn was on the show and mentioned the video, which reminded me. It's quite amazing what's possible on a
£10,000
road bike with the right skills.

Martyn Ashton - Road Bike Party

Edit: The out-takes are good fun too

Socreges

Banned
I immediately thought of Martyn Ashton's Road Bike Party when I read your comment, Psycho, but forgot to post a link to it. Then last night I watched this week's The Cycling Show on ITV4 (which was an excellent episode, by the way **link here**) and Martyn was on the show and mentioned the video, which reminded me. It's quite amazing what's possible on a
£10,000
road bike with the right skills.

Martyn Ashton - Road Bike Party

Edit: The out-takes are good fun too
Unbelievable.

... that he chose such a horrible song for his amazing video.

I wonder how much business that brought in for the bike.

Only a handful of people in the world have that sort of skill. :)

Plus of course, most road bikes would fold themselves into a neat little origami pile if you even came close to trying half that stuff. \o/

That is a nice bell, but more importantly, how will it sound?

Edit - It's not bad, but it's not very grand.

Unrelated, anyone have any recommendations for a CX bike? I'm getting an itch that needs to be scratched.

That is a nice bell, but more importantly, how will it sound?

Edit - It's not bad, but it's not very grand.

Unrelated, anyone have any recommendations for a CX bike? I'm getting an itch that needs to be scratched.

The Kickstarter page has sound files and a video about how they tuned the sound. Sounds a bit like a slightly higher pitched Crane bell.

I'm tempted just for the look if I'm honest, but it works out as about a 40GBP bell after shipping... which is FAR from cheap.

I could probably employ someone to cycle next to me for less. :D

Socreges

Banned
Wow they really do do everything.

outunderthestars said:
This is my favorite hybrid out there today. I think the 8.4 hits a sweet spot in terms of price and components. :)
Yeah, I was really interested (same with the 7.5 FX), but the salespeople at the Trek store were complete knobs. They made me feel like I was inconveniencing them, so unfortunately I had to cross that off as an option. Was really disappointed, but it's important to me that I like the shop and don't dread going back.

Jobiensis

Plus of course, most road bikes would fold themselves into a neat little origami pile if you even came close to trying half that stuff. \o/

I think most would wreck their bodies with the bike.

Road bikes aren't near as delicate as people make them out to be. You can jump and go off road on a road bike just fine. Yes, it requires more handling skill. Yes, if you land a jump by basically falling on the bike, you will probably break things (including your body).

Although after the race last weekend, I think most riders have awful handling skills and don't even know how to corner (and these are racers... you would think they would have good cornering skills). Almost makes me want to race in the masters classes exclusively.

Wow they really do do everything.

Yeah, I was really interested (same with the 7.5 FX), but the salespeople at the Trek store were complete knobs. They made me feel like I was inconveniencing them, so unfortunately I had to cross that off as an option. Was really disappointed, but it's important to me that I like the shop and don't dread going back.

A good decision. Specialized and Giant make incredibly similar bikes. Finding a quality shop is really important.

If you don't mind me asking: which shop was it?

Road bikes aren't near as delicate as people make them out to be. You can jump and go off road on a road bike just fine. Yes, it requires more handling skill. Yes, if you land a jump by basically falling on the bike, you will probably break things (including your body).
I've killed two of them... but I'm shit. :D

Socreges

Banned
A good decision. Specialized and Giant make incredibly similar bikes. Finding a quality shop is really important.

If you don't mind me asking: which shop was it?
Trek bike store in Esquimalt (Victoria BC).

I biked to work for the first time today. Gave myself 30 minutes. Arrived in 10. So good.

waypoetic

Banned
I'm an old bmx:er and i've been known to bunnyhop my ss roadbike. I've done it like five times... I'm scared of fucking up my wheels and tires :p

Mascot

Somehow the cap on my water bottle managed to unscrew itself and leap into the woods about half an hour into this afternoon's ride. It's amazing:
1. how noisy sloshing water is without a cap
2. how quickly an uncapped bottle fills with mud/horseshit/ants/leaves/gravel
3. how willing I am to drink filthy water when my throat is burning

All in all, not one of my better rides. My legs were inexplicably burning after just fifty yards, I brained myself on a fallen tree that wasn't there yesterday (neck stiffening as we speak), got chased by a pack of angry dogs, took a meaningful tumble off a high-speed jump and a wasp landed in a place that you don't want a wasp to land while you are taking a piss against a tree.

On the upside, I did find yet another strange construction deep in the undergrowth. I'm coming to the conclusion that there are people living in these woods.

Jobiensis

My bunny hops suck, I've done one at a race over some guy's wheel and it was successful but sloppy. I'm by no means an exceptional bike handler. I need to work on bunny hops, and more bump drills wouldn't hurt.

Pretty sure if I tried this my bike would be fine, but I'd have a concussion.

WedgeX

Banned
This bell looks awesome. Someone throw them some money. I need this on my bike.

16f3fd6cdbcdc0ca4503ab53cc9ba62b_large.png

This is my favorite hybrid out there today. I think the 8.4 hits a sweet spot in terms of price and components. :)

Looks like they already surpassed their 20k target. I need this and some revolights...my bike will be complete.

Wut :(

In Michigan, the summer months have wicked high humidity. The heat doesn't bother me, its this fucking humidity.

I've missed the river trails in Lansing and Ann Arbor this summer.

Top Bottom