• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bicycle age

Lol↑

Back on track, those with road bikes, did you purchase an aftermarket saddle? I want something that won't restrict movement but offers more comfort than the stock on my Specialized.

I don't like gel covers, eventually they start to fall off.

Lol↑

Back on track, those with road bikes, did you purchase an aftermarket saddle? I want something that won't restrict movement but offers more comfort than the stock on my Specialized.

I don't like gel covers, eventually they start to fall off.

Gel covers don't work.

Invest in padded bib shorts:

SUGOI-FULL-PAD.jpg

39184U.BLK_59.jpg

Buy a pair one price level higher than you want to spend. Come back and thank me later.

Also: after three years away from the industry, I have an interview with a local bike shop tomorrow. Kind of excited to possibly be back doing what I love. Fingers crossed everyone! :D

Socreges

Banned
Those shorts look like a ship from R-Type.

To the untrained eye, I guess.

How much would they cost? Definitely something I'd like, but not anything I require yet.

The last I bought was a dhb one from Wiggle. That was excellent.

I originally bought it for use on the turbo trainer but I'll sneak it out under some mountain bike appropriate shorts too from time to time. ;)

Mascot

My £10 Woodside hydro pack arrived this morning, and I have to say I'm impressed! Build quality and materials seem great, the bladder and suck tube seem on a par with Camelbak's I've examined, there's room in the bladder compartment for an extra layer or shell, and the slim side-pockets, though small, take inner tubes and tool kits nice and snugly. There's no waist strap, just a chest strap but it feels plenty comfortable and the pack is nicely snug and secure on my back. Camelbak users my scoff but for less than I paid for my cage and water bottle it's an absolute steal! Looks great in orange, too, and will make me that little bit more visible to drivers at dusk.

(No, I'm not on commission..!)

One question to bladder pack users - how do you get rid of the initial plasticky taste? Baby bottle cleaner?

Here are some other views of it from the web to show the straps etc.

medscaleIMG_2875Webshot.jpg
medscaleIMG_2873Webshot.jpg
medscaleIMG_2878Webshot.jpg
medscaleIMG_2901Webshot.jpg

I'll post further impressions after a good test-ride but (as I thought) my neck is currently seized up after my argument with the tree yesterday.

Bottle cleaner will just make it taste like chlorine. Put strong lemon squash into it and leave it for a day.

Where did you buy it btw?

Mascot

Bottle cleaner will just make it taste like chlorine. Put strong lemon squash into it and leave it for a day.

Thanks for the tip. I bought mine through Outdoorvalue on eBay as it was a quid cheaper than Amazon (so effectively came with 4 free Snickers bars - that's just how my mind works).

kottila

Homebrewers use an acid based sanitizing solution called Starsan, which only needs 30s contact time and is completely safe to drink. Sounds like it would be perfect for washing a bladder.

Sounds good. Might give that a try some day.

Don't fancy drinking it though. :)

Edit - There's some concern about the effect Star-san might have on the plastic the bladder is made out of. Someone suggested Iodophor, but apparently that stains plastics and can have a smell so that doesn't sound ideal.

This was going to be for my nephew. I might just get him pink!

(They're for sale on the outdoor value store, but I suspect they're actually out of stock there too)

Mascot

This was going to be for my nephew. I might just get him pink!

(They're for sale on the outdoor value store, but I suspect they're actually out of stock there too)

Amazon have all colours for a quid more. Question is: do you love your nephew enough?

I did my first ironman last week! It was surprisingly easier then i had anticipated. It was the Ironman Steelhead race in Benton Harbor. I know theres not allot of triathletes in this thread, but let me tell you, it was the most accomplished i have ever felt crossing that finish line.

I'd be fine aside from the running and swimming bits.

The swimming is and will always be a son of a bitch. But from the three tri's that i have done, as soon as you get out of the water and start running to your bike, its a completely different muscle and form of energy. If your a good cyclist you'll be fine. In fact, you'll feel so loose and warmed up, that you'll have one of the best rides of your life. The run can be botched if your not careful though.

Phthisis

Does anyone know if there are there any big Twitter handles or YouTube channels devoted to cycling that I could sub/follow for like news and/or local events?

DJ_Lae

Trek bike store in Esquimalt (Victoria BC).

I biked to work for the first time today. Gave myself 30 minutes. Arrived in 10. So good.

I vaguely remember going in there a while back when I was shopping around for a bike, didn't much care for the experience either.

I ended up buying my bike (Giant FCR2) at Fort Street Cycle.

Mobius 1

Blew up both tires and bent a wheel this morning, I don't know how. Bike is in the shop.

What is a good pump that I can attach to the frame and take with me?

turnbuckle

Hey guys,

I'm looking to pick up a road bike and I'm thinking I'll have to go used if I want to get the kind of components I'd like without spending an arm and a leg. Basically, my price limit is about $800 and that's already pushing it.

Anywho, I saw this post on Craigslist today and was wondering if the price seems fair. I don't know much about road bikes or components other than the very basics and have a hard time knowing what is a fair price, what is overpriced, and what is a deal too good to pass up.

Would this be a deal too good to pass up assuming everything is in working order?
Trek 2200 - Craigslist

00t0t_gCTxnJTqy9y_600x450.jpg

Craigslist Ad said:
Alpha sl aluminum frame Shimano 105 Dual Pivot with Shimano 105 sti Dual Control levers Shift levers - Shimano 105 Dual Control Front and Rear Derailleur - Shimano 105 Crankset.

Bike is in excellent, ready to ride condition. Brand new tires and brakes, aluminum frame, carbon fiber fork and seat shaft. Front derailleur and crank-set were both replaced last summer. There are a few scuffs on the handlebar grip tape (Seen in pics). Nearly everything else is in excellent riding condition.

I'm a 6'2" rider, and this bike was a perfect fit for me for triathlons, but I haven't been doing as many lately and it has just been occupying space unfortunately.

I'll be up north backpacking until Tuesday, the 13th, but I'll try to respond as best as I can.

ameratsu

Hey guys,

I'm looking to pick up a road bike and I'm thinking I'll have to go used if I want to get the kind of components I'd like without spending an arm and a leg. Basically, my price limit is about $800 and that's already pushing it.

Would this be a deal too good to pass up assuming everything is in working order?
Trek 2200 - Craigslist

00t0t_gCTxnJTqy9y_600x450.jpg

This is overpriced. That bike is from 2001 and evidently retailed for $1650 back then.

Some thoughts:
  • Does the bike fit you? This is the most important consideration.
  • The bike being worth about 50% of MSRP after 12 years is definitely pushing it. See what other Trek 2200s from that era are selling for. From a quick investigation on ebay and craigslist, $500 to $650 sounds more reasonable.
  • 105 Components from 2001 are not analogous to 105 components on a modern bike. Shimano improves their groupsets over time so that they receive updates based on tech from higher end groups. I would think that 105 from that era is roughly equivalent to somewhere between modern Sora or Tiagra.

Yay, Turnbuckle, fellow Michigander!

I would suggest doing some window shopping at your local shop to find the right size first and foremost. I have a 2014 Secteur Specialized($830) and love it, keep us updated.

turnbuckle

This is overpriced. That bike is from 2001 and evidently retailed for $1650 back then.

Some thoughts:
  • Does the bike fit you? This is the most important consideration.
  • The bike being worth about 50% of MSRP after 12 years is definitely pushing it. See what other Trek 2200s from that era are selling for. From a quick investigation on ebay and craigslist, $500 to $650 sounds more reasonable.
  • 105 Components from 2001 are not analogous to 105 components on a modern bike. Shimano improves their groupsets over time so that they receive updates based on tech from higher end groups. I would think that 105 from that era is roughly equivalent to somewhere between modern Sora or Tiagra.

Damn, thanks for the info man. Yeah, the 105s at the price had me interested but I didn't realize how they trickled down features while upgrading components by the same name over time.

I'm 6'1" so the size seemed around what I'd want. Of course I'd have to try it out first, but for this bike it seems like a moot point. I'll keep looking :)

Square Triangle said:
Yay, Turnbuckle, fellow Michigander!

I would suggest doing some window shopping at your local shop to find the right size first and foremost. I have a 2014 Secteur Specialized($830) and love it, keep us updated.

Yeah, there are a few bike shops around here that are pretty good. I just get nervous that I won't be able to help myself once I'm in there and start spending over my head :p

brentech

Spent my early morning trying to fix my front derailleur. Popped off onto the pedal earlier this week.
I feel like I got it all tuned in pretty good, but I could use some slight adjustment and it just doesn't seem like my limiter screws are doing anything. Cable tension does..
Its better than it was, but it's still an issue for the high gear to possibly pop off.
Decided to take a break. This bike has had a lot of these issues. I've brought it to the shop a lot and they've tuned it, but I feel like it's always coming back after a month or two later. Needed to learn to do it myself.

Mountain bike I've had a year longer than my road bike (the problem), yet my mountain bike has needed this just once.

Well that could have ended badly. Asked my nephew (adult) to put one of the bikes on the roof mount whilst I was sorting something else. Finished doing what I was doing, locked the bikes in and set off...

...took the first major corner and the bike he had put up there suddenly went horizontal. He'd put the bike up, I'd put on the wheel straps and tightened them. Then I'd locked the arm.

The part missing from that? Actually closing the arm to hold the bike in place.

/facepalm

Doesn't seem to have done any damage though. Could have been a lot worse.

Mascot

Just trying to catch up to you guys

Your writeups are awesome btw. Meant to praise you.

Ha ha..! Thanks. Not much to report in the last couple of days as my neck has now seized up completely down one side so I can't turn my head at all to the right, which is a little dangerous for the short distance I have to ride on the road to get to the good stuff. Damn, I'm getting serious withdrawal symptoms. The trainer just isn't the same - I'm missing cleaning mud off my bike afterwards as much as the riding itself.

I did find an awesome picture of me and a mate from 1976 (yes - I'm that old) on matching red and blue first-gen Raleigh Grifters, looking ultra-cool like only kids could in the seventies. This got me thinking: how about CylceGAF post their earliest biking pictures - the more embarrassing, the better. I'll post this one as soon as my scanner comes back online.

Edit: @Psycho - sheesh, that could have been very nasty. Apart from damage to the bike, the car, pedestrians or other road users, you could have been done for having an unsafe load. Happened to a friend of mine when he lost two bikes from his cycle carrier while doing 70 down a dual carriageway...!

kottila

Doesn't CO2 leech through the tubes, thus deflating the tyre relatively quickly (like over several hours)? I remember reading something about it years ago when I was considering buying one of those. Might be OK for a quick fix but micro-pumps are so efficient these days it's hardly worth the hassle.

You have to re-inflate the tire before the next ride, but it works fine for emergencies. I have a big pump at home

Laekon

Just trying to catch up to you guys

Your writeups are awesome btw. Meant to praise you.

Giant is having a few different events before Crankworx this weekend. I would check out if the demo is open and try out some of the new full suspension bikes. Also note that it's going to be really crowded.

Onikaan

Just back from the Scottish Downhill Event at Ae Forest (One of our local trails).

I really would like to pick up a downhill bike on the cheap. We do go for a play on the downhill route on our current bikes, but having the big travel and bombproof frame would bolster our confidence, ten fold.

They're expensive though...

Difficult to find anything in good condition under £2000.

Anyone have any experience buying bikes on Ebay?

Top Bottom