• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bicycle age

New restoration project, found her buried in my Wife's grandma's garage.
971405_145356155672189_1997234790_n.jpg

Mobius 1

Starting to feel that my hybrid bike (Trek 8.2 DS) is holding me back now.

Am I wrong to think that? I only ride on roads and paved trails. Should I start looking into a road bike?

Mascot

Anyone have any experience buying bikes on Ebay?

My current bike was an eBay purchase. I spent a long time deciding what bike I wanted and got it sized properly in a shop, then was just browsing eBay (and bike shop sites) to see what was out there and got lucky with the timing. A guy had bought it then had his foot amputated. It was literally brand new - still has the stickers on the wheels etc. I saved over 60% on list price, plus there was about £100 of kit with it (helmet, computer, crud catchers etc). I was happy going this route as the bike was literally brand new with no unknown history, but I'm not sure I'd be happy buying a well-used one, even from an enthusiast who has obviously looked after it well - there could be all sorts of hidden issues, and not necessarily ones the seller even knows about (let alone the ones he's willing to admit).

Mascot

You should feel so bad that you took advantage of someone's misfortune. =P

It took me three swings of the axe to get his foot off. Who'd have thought ligaments were so tough? :p

Forgot to mention before - I was going stir crazy today so soaked my neck in Ibuprofen gel, took a few painkillers and headed out on the bike.

1. That cheap-ass hydration pack is awesome. I've never used a 'real' Camelbak to compare them but I really cannot fault the £10 Woodside one for comfort and ease of use. Wish I'd bought one years ago. One downside - a very sweaty back!

2. In a very weird happening I came across the missing drink bottle cap that I lost several days ago. It was sitting right in the middle of a narrow overgrown trail that I didn't even go down on the day that I lost it. Very weird. Those are very big woods I play in. Needles and haystacks come to mind. Maybe a friendly Rumplestiltsquirrel came to my rescue. Anyway, it's moot - drinks bottles are so last week. It's hydro packs all the way from now on.

Lol nice! I just bought a Coleman Hydration Pack from Target. Lets see how it hold up. I'm convinced Camelbaks are so expensive because of its name.

Mascot

Nice! I'm currently on the hunt for an old vintage barn find to strip down, spray white (everything white, tyres and saddle included) to mount on a wall in my lounge (maybe in front of a nice contrasting colour band painted on the wall) as some pretentious art project to impress visitors.

Could look cool, might look shit. I won't know until I try.

Edit: kinda like this, but just one. And white. And indoors.

aaaaaa_zpsda244739.jpg

Holy shit, try Google Imaging 'Bike Art'. There's some lovely stuff!

kottila

What are the best US online bike shops (road, not mtb)? A friend is going there for a week and I want to fill his suitcases with stuff.

One downside - a very sweaty back!

A lot of the camelbaks have an air channel now. Works pretty well. Maybe you can cover your new one in fishnet? :D

Unrelated, took a third off my segment times from 6 months back on a trail Saturday. Could have gone faster as well I reckon.

Best part though was that I utterly nailed a technical climb that I wouldn't even attempt last time around because it looked ridiculously difficult. Was just about to explode by the end of it but wouldn't give up. lol

SmokyDave

Sweet find. Are you doing a full strip-down and rebuild? You might be able to get the year from the serial number if you choose to repaint / replace decals etc. Looks to be in great condition for the age so that probably won't be necessary.

Cracking stuff!

Sweet find. Are you doing a full strip-down and rebuild? You might be able to get the year from the serial number if you choose to repaint / replace decals etc. Looks to be in great condition for the age so that probably won't be necessary.

Cracking stuff!

I probably won't do anything with the frame, just finding replacement components that need it. I would love to find the year on this though, those shifters on the frame kill me.

Socreges

Banned
Giant is having a few different events before Crankworx this weekend. I would check out if the demo is open and try out some of the new full suspension bikes. Also note that it's going to be really crowded.
Cycling had to take a back seat (ugh, a pun) since we were just around for a music festival, but next year I might make Crankworx a priority and get more involved.

Good to see your new bike in proper mountain biking territory already. :)
There were a ton of trails nearby that we naturally had to skip as we're not properly equipped. Can't wait to return with a (competent) mountain bike. Wish my career was somehow conducive to living in that area. Considering I'm an avid snowboarder I'd be in paradise year-round.

SmokyDave

I probably won't do anything with the frame, just finding replacement components that need it. I would love to find the year on this though, those shifters on the frame kill me.

I had a Google for you, but came up empty so far. Late 60's right up to early 80's they did that colour, often with the chromed forks. Your biggest clue is probably the style of the decals, they tend to change fairly often. If you can find the serial number (usually on the bottom bracket, under the frame), that might provide the necessary info.

Edit: My current best guess is 1976, based on this page. Much of it is bang on, but the cable stops are central on the downtube whereas yours are a little higher. It's probably a year or two either way.

I've seen a couple of Continentals with downtube shifter mods on t'net so it can be done. Almost seems like a shame though, the headtube / stem mounted shifters are so distinctive. Still, if it ain't comfortable, you won't enjoy riding it. When I finally restore the RTS I'll be putting on a bar that's too wide for the period because the stock unit is way too narrow for my manly shoulders.

Well I decided on just a basic Schwinn, since I won't be doing anything crazy on it. Just some casual rides with the lady and back and forth to work when the weather is nice.

I took it on its maiden voyage yesterday morning. 11 miles round trip. It was so much fun, I haven't ridden a bike in at least 10 years. I enjoyed every second of it. I went and ordered a water bottle holder and small pouch for under the seat.

Can someone recommend me a more comfortable seat that is affordable and isn't huge and squishy like a girls seat?

Anybody know what model Giant this is:

imagegejdk.jpg

Saw it in the classified ads on another forum but it had no details and I'm still waiting for a reply. The seller said it cost over £700 but are selling for £250, barely ridden, it sounds too good to be true.

SmokyDave

Nice work dude, thanks!
My pleasure! I learned a few bits along the way about Schwinns, it was fun.

First real ride on the new (used '09) bike! So much damn fun, I haven't rode since I was a kid. Thanks again for your advice Smoky.
Happy to oblige! Glad you like it, she's a belter. I'll always have a soft spot for GTs. Love that colour scheme too.

Saw it in the classified ads on another forum but it had no details and I'm still waiting for a reply. The seller said it cost over £700 but are selling for £250, barely ridden, it sounds too good to be true.
Judging by the backwards seatpost and seat pushed right forward, it seems they bought a bike too large for them. It probably hasn't seen much action. Look at the grip tape, tyres and brake blocks, they'll tell the tale.

I'll try and get you an ID, but road bikes aren't my forte.

Edit: Giant Defy is the front runner at the moment. Trying to find that exact bike as it's a fair assumption that it's totally standard. The actual model name will probably be written down the seat tube, do you have any other pictures?

Edit Edit: It's definitely from the 'Defy' range, you can make it out on the inside of the offside fork leg. Exact model still eluding me.

SmokyDave

ameratsu

The outer chain ring is the wrong colour. Odd that it would've been replaced, but not outside the realms of likelihood, I guess. Chainstay decals don't match either. Different year maybe? US / UK difference?

I revise my answer to 2010 Giant Defy 2 (UK Model; North American model has a triple chainring) with a swapped out crank. Not sure what else it could be.

brentech

For Giant, that's basically their 'lifestyle' road bike with mid range components. So, not a bad way to enter the road bike scene. Giants models get higher as the model number goes to 0. Worth the price he's asking if frame checks out.

I rode a 2012 Defy 0 and the Raleigh Revenio 2.0 and just like the fit of the Raleigh better for me, so I went that route.

Mascot

First of the "making of" videos for Bikepark Wales: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p7jjX6e0FC0&feature=youtu.be

Very nice indeed - cannot wait! Did you say you were going on the opening weekend, but without a lift pass?

My next door neighbour has one of those LaPierre bikes that one of the dudes in the vid was riding. Man, it's a lovely machine.

Regretting going out yesterday, despite finding my water bottle cap (!). My neck is so bad today it's making me nauseous. It's a horrible feeling, kind of like a hangover but without the fun part of earning one.

Yeah, I'm going up (sans pass) on my hard tail and I'll be pootling around the low end stuff as I'm expecting the more hardcore trails there to be absolutely rammed.

Mascot

Yeah, I'm going up (sans pass) on my hard tail and I'll be pootling around the low end stuff as I'm expecting the more hardcore trails there to be absolutely rammed.

Awesome - can't wait to hear your impressions and see your catalogue of photos! Is it still opening on the 24th?

(BTW you're fooling nobody with your reasons for staying at the bottom, you lazy git.. =P)

Awesome - can't wait to hear your impressions and see your catalogue of photos! Is it still opening on the 24th?

(BTW you're fooling nobody with your reasons for staying at the bottom, you lazy git.. =P)

I'm still doing the fire road for the blues... just not on a bloody heavy full susser. :D

...and I'll try and take some pics, but Merthyr isn't exactly photogenic. /o\

About to go HAM

Neo Member
Can you guys recommend me a bike? I have no knowledge of bicycles at all, but I really want to start learning.

Here's the terrain I'll be dealing with.
I'm moving to Bellingham, Wa for school. I'll be living in downtown while the school is at the top of a hill. Its not terribly steep as the climb is gradual. Its about a 15-20 minute walk from my apartment to campus. The roads are all very good. I plan on using the bike as my primary mode of transportation while I'm at school, but I do have a car.

I would like to spend under $300. I have no idea if that is too little, enough, or a laughable underestimate.

Can you guys recommend me a bike? I have no knowledge of bicycles at all, but I really want to start learning.

Here's the terrain I'll be dealing with.
I'm moving to Bellingham, Wa for school. I'll be living in downtown while the school is at the top of a hill. Its not terribly steep as the climb is gradual. Its about a 15-20 minute walk from my apartment to campus. The roads are all very good. I plan on using the bike as my primary mode of transportation while I'm at school, but I do have a car.

I would like to spend under $300. I have no idea if that is too little, enough, or a laughable underestimate.

$300 is an ok budget, but you'd be better off going used for that. I'd start by looking at Craigslist. You'll probably want a road bike or hybrid, it's pretty easy to tell what a bike is just by looking at it, the more slender and long a bike is the more its designed to be used on the road, the fatter it is the more it's for off-road. If you can't tell what is is just google it.

You'll have to decide how much off-roading you want to do. Once you start biking it can be easy to get addicted and Washington is a beautiful state so you'll probably find tons of trails to explore. You can always ride a mountain bike on the road but you can't ride a road bike in the mountain.

About to go HAM

Neo Member
Downhill mountain biking is huge here and it is something I'm interested in, but I doubt I have the money. I hear it can be pretty pricey.

In my head I was thinking something that is dedicated to the pavement, but only because I'd imagine that quality bikes are built to do one thing and not both. Am I wrong?

I can't see a mountain bike being very comfortable on the pavement everyday...

Socreges

Banned
Semi-related post:

Injured my knee in March. Didn't run for a few months; not up until about a month ago. During all this time I biked even more often than usual, foregoing the car whenever possible. Now, since getting my new bike last week, I've biked every day since and up some pretty steep hills. I'm always itching to get back on it and I don't dread the hills like I used to. I think I might actually relish them a bit.

This takes me to tonight where I played my first full soccer (football) game since the injury. The intention was to play 15 minutes, but we had zero subs and I had to play the full 90. My step was better than it has been in years. I was still able to go pretty hard even by the end of the game. I felt great (though my knee didn't at times).

In short, biking is good for many things. Add another to the list: makes me a better soccer player.

Downhill mountain biking is huge here and it is something I'm interested in, but I doubt I have the money. I hear it can be pretty pricey.

In my head I was thinking something that is dedicated to the pavement, but only because I'd imagine that quality bikes are built to do one thing and not both. Am I wrong?

I can't see a mountain bike being very comfortable on the pavement everyday...

If you're going to be doing lots of hills (on the road) then get a road bike. Your legs and lungs will thank you.

Nothing you can buy for $300 will do the job of both adequately.

This is basically a promo for Lezyne, but all Danny is good Danny:

Danny MacAskill in Taiwan

I need some sort of reaction cam on me when I watch those. Total look of disbelief.

Top Bottom