• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bicycle age

Mascot

Damn..glad to hear you're okay. Them little rocks are a killer.

Lol, thanks - it's more hurt pride than anything else for doing something so downright idiotic. The bike seems fine, the cuts and bruises will heal, the ice packs on the knee seem to be doing their thing, and I've been reminded how easy it is for a lapse in concentration to go badly wrong. Shame about the shorts, shirt and hydo pack though..!

Strava heatmap: http://www.strava.com/saturday-heatmap#0|12|3|30.50000|-40.80000

xvBKOVE.gif

That's the UK / part of europe, but the whole world is shown. Pretty cool. :)

ameratsu

I have been doing more club races this season and have got to the point where I am tempted to upgrade my stock wheels for races. My aluminum TCR is completely stock with the exception of tires (gp4000) and saddle. I've been trying to find a cheap alloy wheelset that are somewhat lighter than my stock giant pr2s at 1900g but haven't found anything locally used yet.

Should I bother with a set of race wheels? How much of a difference does 300-450g make in a set of wheels anyways?

I have been doing more club races this season and have got to the point where I am tempted to upgrade my stock wheels for races. My aluminum TCR is completely stock with the exception of tires (gp4000) and saddle. I've been trying to find a cheap alloy wheelset that are somewhat lighter than my stock giant pr2s at 1900g but haven't found anything locally used yet.

Should I bother with a set of race wheels? How much of a difference does 300-450g make in a set of wheels anyways?

Wheels are my favorite suggested upgrade. Not only do you drop weight, and increase stiffness, but you can usually take them to your next bike as well.

I'm going to upgrade the wheels on my nephew's bike. His are a full kg heavier than mine, though about 350g of that is the additional weight of the disc.

Mascot

Did somebody here recently mention they live near Whistler, or are soon going to Whistler for some biking? I was checking out GoPro footage on YouTube (with a view to maybe buying one) and came across footage of this ridiculously cool trail:

Lower A-Line, Whistler

Hoping for stuff like that at BikePark Wales...

There's stuff like that (and dare I say better in parts) at Coed-y-Brenin, Afan and Brechfa... So yeah, Bike Park Wales will have it too (though I doubt it'll have so many long straights).

Mascot

There's stuff like that (and dare I say better in parts) at Coed-y-Brenin, Afan and Brechfa... So yeah, Bike Park Wales will have it too (though I doubt it'll have so many long straights).

I'll have to check those places out! Are they dedicated bike trails, or do you run the gamut of dodging ramblers, horses, dogs and nudists like on so many typical shared trails?

They're all technically mixed use but I've never actually seen a walker venture onto the specific trails (they're clearly signposted as cycle trails only). I'm sure someone will one day... and I'm sure they'll regret it pretty damn quickly too. :D

veteran road bikers, what have you found in your experience is a better avenue to develop strength and endurance on hills? pure strength training, sucking it up and hitting hills on a consistent basis, or a combination of both?

veteran road bikers, what have you found in your experience is a better avenue to develop strength and endurance on hills? pure strength training, sucking it up and hitting hills on a consistent basis, or a combination of both?

interval training really helped me. You need to be able to power up the hills, but also be able to recover quickly.

FxshO3a.jpg

small walkway, on the CT shoreline greenway

Beautiful bikes in beautiful places always make me smile. :D

Watevaman

Nice to see this thread, reminded me to post.

I just bought an entry level mountain bike (a Fuji Nevada 1.9D) and am loving it. For one, it's my first mountain bike, and two, it's nice to have a bike with working everything (my old GT bmx bike had no brakes, sprocket bent). I had a few concerns about general riding and the bike itself though.

One question is it normal for the gears to make noises in the derailleur (sp?) In certain gear combos? It sounds like the front rubs every revolution if I'm in a medium speed front and low speed in the back but it's gone if I'm in a different combo.

Also, I got the bike mainly for commuting but also because I know I'll get offroad before too long. What I'm concerned about is how good jumps are for the front fork? I've actually been practicing wheelies a little but stopped because I don't know what might happen to the forks with impacts like that.

Jobiensis

Specificity, to do better at hills, you need to do (or simulate) hills. Strength training isn't going to help significantly, and may possibly have a negative effect.

If the goal is survival, it is as simple as hills, hills, hills. If you want to get faster, a couple repeats on short steep sections, mixed with long climbs with a couple series of intervals during the climb. On repeats my goal is to go anaerobic and max out my HR by the last one, with the long climb/intervals, it usually is just a variation of over/unders, my goal is sustainable pacing with bursts of power.

One question is it normal for the gears to make noises in the derailleur (sp?) In certain gear combos? It sounds like the front rubs every revolution if I'm in a medium speed front and low speed in the back but it's gone if I'm in a different combo.

Also, I got the bike mainly for commuting but also because I know I'll get offroad before too long. What I'm concerned about is how good jumps are for the front fork? I've actually been practicing wheelies a little but stopped because I don't know what might happen to the forks with impacts like that.

Gear noise is normal when you're crossed up, and you should avoid using your gears in this manner.

With regard to forks, as long as you're not doing crazy drops (6ft +) then they'll likely be fine.

andylsun

I rode part of that once, doesn't the rail trail go the entire length of the cap now?

Nope, there are bike trails near Provincetown but it's still about 5 miles on rt 6. To
be honest, rt 6 isn't bad on a bike - the breakdown lane is wide so you don't feel too exposed.

You can see the end of the rail trail where I turned right towards the outer cape. And the turn left back to rt 6, when a road that google maps said was there turned out not to exist.

I was actually pretty disappointed with the route past the end of the trail. Nothing like as picturesque as I expected until getting onto Shore Rd/6A. Then it was alongside the sea and nice.

interval training really helped me. You need to be able to power up the hills, but also be able to recover quickly.

Specificity, to do better at hills, you need to do (or simulate) hills. Strength training isn't going to help significantly, and may possibly have a negative effect.

If the goal is survival, it is as simple as hills, hills, hills. If you want to get faster, a couple repeats on short steep sections, mixed with long climbs with a couple series of intervals during the climb. On repeats my goal is to go anaerobic and max out my HR by the last one, with the long climb/intervals, it usually is just a variation of over/unders, my goal is sustainable pacing with bursts of power.

Thanks for the tips/advice, guys. My hill routine right now has mainly been focused on just getting over the hill. Although I do interval training on flat or slightly uphill roads, I never thought to incorporate it going up a relatively steep hill. I'm actually gonna start tomorrow and feeling pretty good about it.

Looking like it's going to rain, which will be a bit of a bitch.

Re the video, there's a spectator angle out there as well where you see more of it. Very impressive.

RubxQub

φίλω ἐξεχέγλουτον καί ψευδολόγον οὖκ εἰπόν
Super basic/dumb question:

Can someone describe to me how you go about lifting your butt off the saddle and still peddling with balance? The most basic thing that everyone can do since they were 5...I can't do it.

Are you supposed to support your full weight on your hands? Are you supposed to be in a harder gear to ensure that you have better stability in your legs?

...there doesn't seem to be any video guidance out there on how to do this, and it really affects my ability to ride for long distances.

Any help for this dumbass question would be greatly appreciated.

I know someone who can't do it either... and I'm yet to work out a way of explaining it to him. I just assumed that he was crap / had poor balance / leg strength.

I always snap up about three gears when I stand as I prefer to have that extra resistance. I can do it without it, but my form goes a bit. I also tend to lean forward a bit... but I have no idea if you're supposed to or not.

Made a very silly schoolboy error yesterday during a lapse in concentration at the end of a long ride. A cardinal sin of cycling, actually. I took my left hand off the bars momentarily on a fairly quick descent, hit a small rock which jerked the front wheel to the left and threw my weight forward, instinctively pinched the front brake, compressed the forks, and went flying over the handlebars. Managed to crack my left knee on the stem on the way over, tear a gash in my new hydration pack on some rocks and rip my teeshirt and shorts. Almost lost my computer as well but luckily noticed it was missing, no doubt knocked off by my knee.

Apart from a bunch of scrapes and scratches there doesn't seem to be any lasting damage to the bike, but the steering needed realigning and some spokes needed tweaking to smooth a slight ripple. My knee was sore but didn't seem too bad at the time, but this morning it's swollen up like a grapefruit and I can't bend it beyond 90 degrees. I'm very annoyed to have crashed so stupidly - I'd just spent the previous three hours bombing around the trails and flying off jumps without a hint of danger.

Oh, and to top it all off, I then got a puncture (which I HATE!) on the ride back home.

BAH!

Last year I cracked a helmet foam almost clean in half by doing the same thing. Downhill section that had originally been cut by a car, so narrow dual paths. Smooth, and fast. Unfortunately it was overgrown by weeds, so I couldn't actually see the ground I was riding on. Took a hand off to wipe the snot, and hit a rock I never saw. Catapulted directly on my head. Cut up face, mangled glasses, but unbelievably lucky not to have broken my neck. The helmet (Giro Xen) did it's thing to save me from probable catastrophic injury. Definitely one of those cheated death moments.

Mascot

Last year I cracked a helmet foam almost clean in half by doing the same thing. Downhill section that had originally been cut by a car, so narrow dual paths. Smooth, and fast. Unfortunately it was overgrown by weeds, so I couldn't actually see the ground I was riding on. Took a hand off to wipe the snot, and hit a rock I never saw. Catapulted directly on my head. Cut up face, mangled glasses, but unbelievably lucky not to have broken my neck. The helmet (Giro Xen) did it's thing to save me from probable catastrophic injury. Definitely one of those cheated death moments.

Oof! Lucky escape indeed. I cracked a helmet hitting a roadside curb in Niagara Falls (of all places) about 20 years ago. Never ridden without one since.

You should see what I carry for my epic rides. Been stranded far too many times in the past so now I take the kitchen sink.

I really hope that you've at least got a multitool and a patch with you.

Mascot

Another day... another crash. As part of my normal bimble through the woods there's a lovely series of three jumps on a flowing downhill section. Today I carried a little too much speed into the first one and subsequently hit the second one slightly off-line, so was all over the place like the proverbial mad woman's piss when I launched off the third. I missed the dry line completely and landed very heavily (and off-balance) on wet leaves, the bike skidding from under and slamming me down like a felled tree. One shoulder took a bit of a whack at the base of a stump but there was a loud crack like Beelzebub snapping dragon bones, so I was convinced I'd done something serious to the bike. Couldn't find anything though, even after a more thorough inspection back home.

I really need to be more careful, especially when the ground is wet.

Speaking of leaving home without tools, last Sunday I was on my morning ride when I noticed that my rear wheel was flat. So I pull over to the side and start the process of changing the tire. Take wheel out, inspect, etc. Grab my tool bag when I notice I left my valve for the co2 cartridge in my bag.... in the car. At that point I just looked up at the sky, shook my head, and smiled. Thankfully, up the road about four miles there was a bike shop so I began making the walk of shame when about halfway there I came across two other roadies and noticing my predicament, rode over and helped me out. From then I gently rode back up the store to have everything looked over and have the tire properly inflated. When I finished with my ride and got back to my car, first thing I looked for was the valve, and there it was: sitting right next to my bag. I guess what happened was after making an inventory for ride I had forgotten to actually put the valve back into the road kit. Ah well, thank god for biker brothers. Because the last few miles of that walk is straight uphill and it was already approaching about 95 degrees.

Jobiensis

Too much crashing going on.

During crit practice, took a corner fairly hot, clipped a pedal when I started to power out of the corner, and slid out. Amazing how long it takes to stop from 28mph when you are sliding on your side/skin. Luckily no one else went down. Some good road rash and bruising, r. derailleur took a big hit, but looks like the bike is ok otherwise. Taking a couple days off, and skipping the race on Sunday to heal up for Labor day weekend races.

Stay safe

Mascot

Too much crashing going on.

During crit practice, took a corner fairly hot, clipped a pedal when I started to power out of the corner, and slid out. Amazing how long it takes to stop from 28mph when you are sliding on your side/skin. Luckily no one else went down. Some good road rash and bruising, r. derailleur took a big hit, but looks like the bike is ok otherwise. Taking a couple days off, and skipping the race on Sunday to heal up for Labor day weekend races.

Stay safe

Crashing on tarmac isn't the fun kind of crashing that I indulge in. I use it as a way of getting closer to nature.

waypoetic

Banned
Crashing on tarmac isn't the fun kind of crashing that I indulge in. I use it as a way of getting closer to nature.

Ah, tarmac. Old friend of mine. We hung out together when i rode BMX, skateboarded and that whole longboarding story. We talk to each other once in a while when i'm on my roadbike but we're not that close really.

ameratsu

On my club race this week, there was a ton of paving gravel directly on our route. This led to much sketchier riding than I was used to, though thankfully there were no crashes. Nothing like powering over loose gravel to keep up with the lead group going 45kph.

Jobiensis

lol

Ah, tarmac. Old friend of mine. We hung out together when i rode BMX, skateboarded and that whole longboarding story. We talk to each other once in a while when i'm on my roadbike but we're not that close really.

I don't really have a close relationship with tarmac, just an acquaintance I sometimes run into unexpectedly.

Top Bottom