• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bicycle age

Just for Mascot:

t9ulgrw.jpg

thomaser

What's the deal with those expensive biking pants/suits? Sure, they look fancy, have cushions and really emphasize your package, but do they really help you perform better as claimed?

Jobiensis

What's the deal with those expensive biking pants/suits? Sure, they look fancy, have cushions and really emphasize your package, but do they really help you perform better as claimed?

You mean Lycra bibs/jersey or a skinsuit?

For bibs/jersey the biggest benefit to someone that isn't racing is comfort/chaffing. But there are aero benefits to wearing clothes that don't flap in the wind.

Skinsuits aren't very practical for anything other than racing (lack of pockets).

thomaser

You mean Lycra bibs/jersey or a skinsuit?

For bibs/jersey the biggest benefit to someone that isn't racing is comfort/chaffing. But there are aero benefits to wearing clothes that don't flap in the wind.

Skinsuits aren't very practical for anything other than racing (lack of pockets).

I mean the bibs, with long legs. The sports store next to me has some crazy expensive compression ones that are supposed to "increase stamina", "prevent injury" and give "faster restitution". I'm going on a long biking trip soon and feel I need all the help I can get since I'm not used to neither long trips nor road racing, but these are $310 on sale (normal price $439), which seems way overkill.

Jobiensis

I mean the bibs, with long legs. The sports store next to me has some crazy expensive compression ones that are supposed to "increase stamina", "prevent injury" and give "faster restitution". I'm going on a long biking trip soon and feel I need all the help I can get since I'm not used to neither long trips nor road racing, but these are $310 on sale (normal price $439), which seems way overkill.

Wouldn't bother with compression anything if it increases cost. The improvements to circulation are fairly minimal. If you want to improve recovery, foam roller/massage, and pay close attention to diet and sleep. Some people swear by bibs, but I don't mind normal lycra cycling shorts. I'd always opt for shorts/bib shorts and leg warmers over long bib tights, more versatile, but that is also because I usually wear leg/knee warmers a couple dozen times a year (relatively warm environment).

thomaser

Wouldn't bother with compression anything if it increases cost. The improvements to circulation are fairly minimal. If you want to improve recovery, foam roller/massage, and pay close attention to diet and sleep. Some people swear by bibs, but I don't mind normal lycra cycling shorts. I'd always opt for shorts/bib shorts and leg warmers over long bib tights, more versatile, but that is also because I usually wear leg/knee warmers a couple dozen times a year (relatively warm environment).

Thank you for the advice. Seems like a bib short will be what I need, maybe with leg/knee warmers. The trip will be in Italy in April, and lasts a week.

Which kind of underwear do you recommend? Some of the people I'm going with plan to not use underwear at all, which seems strange to me. But they claim a boxer or similar will just chafe and get really uncomfortable after a while.

Jobiensis

Don't wear underwear with proper cycling shorts. They will bind and cause chaffing, and will probably impede the wicking properties of the lycra. Proper cycling jersey as well (will give you pockets), but you can use Under Armour type shirts instead (or in addition as a base layer), but absolutely no cotton. Would love to cycle in Italy, some really nice climbs there.

You basically just found the first rule of biking: if they can get away with charging an exorbitant price they will. And add a 15% markup.

Called my dad on christmas and he surprised me by saying that he decided to get back on his bike after his hernia surgery and he's been biking around. The surprising part? He's only 6 months from 80 and he lives in a particularly hilly part of the state. I have no idea how he's doing it but it's certainly inspired me. I already had a New Year's resolution of 10,000 miles on the bike next year and doing the STP in one day, this just reaffirms that it's what I need to do.

waypoetic

Banned
From my IG, but whatever
65d7efc06fcc11e39e531223997cc355_8.jpg

I haven't been riding much as of lately, mostly due to the shitty weather; horizontal rain and winds wielded by Thor himself - but today was perfect for some enduro!

Mascot

Just for Mascot:

Very nice!

Christmas is taking its usual toll. I've managed to put on half a stone in the past week due to accidentally eating non-stop and having little opportunity* for exercise. Looking forward to putting in some hard miles once the weather improves and all the cakes have gone.

*inclination

I've been good. I've managed five rides in ten days, and some of those in horrific weather. I've spent as much time washing the damn bikes / clothes as I have riding though. :(

Back to the real world next week though so I'm sure I'll be back to being lucky to get one ride a week in.

Welp, I've just gone and done it. Old faithful is losing the v brakes and getting an upgrade to XT M785 disc brakes with ice-tech rotors. Couple of times recently I haven't been able to stop in the wet and I figure that I'd rather be dealing with a bit more weight than flying off the edge of a mountain somewhere.

£200 all told, which is actually phenomenal given what all this would have cost me without the sales. Am going to need a new set of rims too, but for the moment I'm using my nephew's old set.

Now I just need to lose a kg or so of fat to even the score. :D

muu

I was hurt most of last year, and haven't been keeping up with enough riding, so shaving off some weight will be my first priority... which means riding more. Hoping to get the qualifying rides in for PBP next year, though I doubt I'll be able to make the time commitment to make it there. Don't really like the idea of doing another 600K either...

I don't really have a measure I can apply to my cycling that's as simple as miles travelled / altitude gained as both are fairly meaningless in mountain biking. Maybe I should just say X hours for the year.

Jobiensis

~7500 miles / >500k feet of climbing last year! For PT, that is 434 hours. ;)

I don't really have a measure I can apply to my cycling that's as simple as miles travelled / altitude gained as both are fairly meaningless in mountain biking. Maybe I should just say X hours for the year.

Hours are better as a goal/milestone in road biking too. Elevation coming from Strava and not a Garmin (with a barometric altimeter) is completely useless too.

kottila

~7500 miles / >500k feet of climbing last year! For PT, that is 434 hours. ;)

Hours are better as a goal/milestone in road biking too. Elevation coming from Strava and not a Garmin (with a barometric altimeter) is completely useless too.

It's very useful for bragging rights. Even my most flat rides would get hundreds of meters climbing with the ios client.

VE3TRO

Formerly Gizmowned
Any good tyres to get for road and part off road?

I got some Panaracer Fire FR 2.4s early this year but noticed they are too wide for the forks so they rub a little on one side and it slows me down making it harder work.

Ideally looking for 2.1 or 2.2 with a red strip on the outside similar to the Panaracer Fire FR.

cbox

Do any of you guys have experience with padded bike shorts?

There are a bunch of brands but just be careful of the pad. Some are incredibly
Thin and won't do anything for your ass on longer rides. I use both bib and regular shorts with the bib being better for longer rides. Look for nice dense ass pads.

They review pretty well all around. I just wouldn't want to throw them at wet rocks or roots. As for width, I'd probably go for 2.2 with a relatively high PSI.

VE3TRO

Formerly Gizmowned
Took my Cannondale to the shop for a service. Getting the disc brakes bled since the front pad was missing and the rear didn't feel sharp. Not used it for a few years so getting a full service on everything.

Luckily I found a pair of Hutchinson Iguana in the garage which are still new so putting them on. Got a pair of Cateye lights today (holy shit bright as hell in daylight cant wait for night) and a Giro Xar helmet so I'll be ready for riding tomorrow.

I'll post some pics of my ride tomorrow. ^_^

Shall have to dig out photos of my old 2001-2002 Identiti - Dr Jekyll with RST triple clamps, Mavics and Bigun Hope hubs. Took it to Penshurst a few times. Got hit by a car with it once which left the car with a dent on the bumper but my rear wheel was untouched.

Thing was a beast but weighed loads and was too much for me who at the time only weighed 9 stone. Reason why I moved to trials.

My new rotors, brakes and pads are here.... now I just need to find some time from somewhere to actually fit it all. Seems unlikely.

Watevaman

Anyone have any recommendations for an MTB street tire? The MTB forums are so split but someone mentioned some Ritchey Tom slicks which aren't too expensive and have some good reviews. Another mentioned Big Apples which are a bit more expensive but also highly regarded.

VE3TRO

Formerly Gizmowned
Bike all sorted so took it for a 20 mile ride along the beach. So much better with the new tyres on. Kept the forks locked but they work pretty well when on.

Not that keen on RST would have rather got some Fox or Rockshox. (Old friend had upside down triple clamp White Bros sooo good. ;p) Also need a new saddle the one I have was for dual races so it's not really comfy. Any recommendations would be cool.

Here's a few pics.

Mascot

Man, I haven't been out on the bike for weeks. Damned weather. I keep looking at 'em on Saturday mornings and thinking I should get out and ride, but then something else comes along :(

Ditto. Just getting back into training after the Christmas lard-a-thon but the cross trainer has been winning my attention. Too cold, wet & windy outside at the moment. My favourite trails are all waterlogged.

Anyone have any recommendations for an MTB street tire? The MTB forums are so split but someone mentioned some Ritchey Tom slicks which aren't too expensive and have some good reviews. Another mentioned Big Apples which are a bit more expensive but also highly regarded.

If you have a Performance Bike near you, I've had good luck with their Metro brand tires. Cheap but pretty good.

NervousXtian

Thought Emoji Movie was good. Take that as you will.
Okay, Bike GAF.

Since I got my kid a BMX bike and he's having fun riding.. and I sold my old man bike I want a nice BMX.

I originally bought him a Premium Solo that has had some custom parts on it.. but it was too big for him being a full 20"... but it's a 20.5 top tube.. and it rides nice.. but its his bike for when he get's bigger.

I ended up scoring a used Haro 18" that he loves.. and when he gets bigger he'll have the Premium to ride and my daughter will inherit the Haro.

So that get's me too my ride... I had fun riding the Premium and haven't ridden a BMX since.. shit.. the 90's back in High-School. So I want something good for me.

I like new shit, and building a custom is out of the question expensive.. but it seems the completes these days are pretty damn good.

I'm 6'0", 200lbs.. so probably a 21" with CroMoly frame.

I'm looking at these (some local shops carry them, but I'll link for ref):

http://www.danscomp.com/products-BIKES/102383/2014_We_The_People_Crysis_Bike.html

http://www.danscomp.com/products-BIKES/102386/2014_We_The_People_Trust_Bike.html

http://www.albes.com/cult-leader-2014-bike.aspx

http://www.danscomp.com/products-BIKES/102303/2014_Subrosa_Novus_Bike.html

http://www.danscomp.com/products-BIKES/102372/2014_Stolen_Sinner_XLT_Bike.html

All those are CroMoly, come in 21" or 20.8" TT with sealed hubs and 3pc cranks.

What say you Bike GAF?

Mascot

Just watched the first episode of Speed with Guy Martin, recorded a couple of weeks ago on Channel 4. Anyone else catch it? He attempts, with the aid of slipstreaming, to break 110mph on a pushbike. It's utterly enthralling. I didn't breathe during the actual speed attempt at the end. I was shitting myself. The man has balls of pure titanium.

Top programme. Top bloke.

For UK-Gaf: here's the whole episode on 4OD

Just watched the first episode of Speed with Guy Martin, recorded a couple of weeks ago on Channel 4. Anyone else catch it? He attempts, with the aid of slipstreaming, to break 110mph on a pushbike. It's utterly enthralling. I didn't breathe during the actual speed attempt at the end. I was shitting myself. The man has balls of pure titanium.

Top programme. Top bloke.

For UK-Gaf: here's the whole episode on 4OD

Thx

If you're a member of the Cascade Bicycle Club the Seattle-to-Portland registration is open, though if you're not a member you'll have to wait a few days.
Register online

Tuesday, Jan. 14 @ 10 a.m.: Members-only registration opens
Member price is Adult - $110 Child (ages 1-12) $60 (Note: No souvenir Tyvek jacket this year with registration)

Tuesday, Feb. 4 @ 10 a.m.: General public registration opens (assuming the ride has not sold out)
Non- Member price is Adult - $120 Child (ages 1-12) $60 (Note: No souvenir Tyvek jacket this year with registration)
- See more at: http://www.cascade.org/ride-major-rides-group-health-stp/registration#sthash.Rdc2m2GY.dpuf

Sadly, the mainstay of the ride (The incredibly ugly jackets) are gone.
New This Year: The Tyvek jackets have been a recognizable souvenir for many years, but after fielding numerous requests to replace the jacket with a more sustainable and useful item, we have decided to retire this historic souvenir. Instead, we will be offering a free multi-tool and stuff sack. We hope these items will decrease our environmental impact while serving as a practical gift for our riders to commemorate the ride. - See more at: http://www.cascade.org/content/group-health-seattle-portland-classic-2014-adult#sthash.9At8cVrY.dpuf

Top Bottom