• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bicycle age

Went for my first winter ride ever; it was -10c today. Overall not too bad with gear I already have, but my shoes are wholly inadequate for anything below 0c. I know my tires won't be sufficient either when there's snow and ice everywhere.

SPD Winter boots are pretty darn pricey. Northwave makes a well-reviewed boot that's around $240. Tires aren't too bad at about $100 for studded 700cs. Not sure if I want to pay up just to ride in frigid conditions.

I still need to get a decent pair of waterproof flats, but they're rarer than rocking horse shit. Loads of options for SPDs.

Did the new trail, was really good. Can highly recommend it to others:

https://www.facebook.com/GarwValleyMountainBikeTrails

My friend's brother is a great trial biker. Here's his latest video.

Masses of respect for people who can do that sort of thing. I can barely pull a wheelie.

Spent nearly an hour getting my old Saracen ridable, new cabling, brakes, chain, etc. I get to the woods to ride the new trails they've made and the tyre lets go 20 minutes or so into the ride :(

imag0067a2k6s.jpg

It only had 40psi in the tube, was the tyre weakened after years of being flat and stuck in the garage?

Fuck my luck, it cost me nearly £50 the other day to replace two spokes and get the wheel trued because the pump fell off my road bike and went in the back wheel.

Atenhaus

Went for my first winter ride ever; it was -10c today. Overall not too bad with gear I already have, but my shoes are wholly inadequate for anything below 0c. I know my tires won't be sufficient either when there's snow and ice everywhere.

SPD Winter boots are pretty darn pricey. Northwave makes a well-reviewed boot that's around $240. Tires aren't too bad at about $100 for studded 700cs. Not sure if I want to pay up just to ride in frigid conditions.

Aaaaaand that is why I love living in the Pacific Northwest. My winter gear consists of base layers and rain gear. :p Where are you riding?

It only had 40psi in the tube, was the tyre weakened after years of being flat and stuck in the garage?

Rubber degrades pretty quickly if you don't store it right. I doubt it was down to the PSI (most tyres are good to about 50-60 psi). That said, on proper trails I tend never to inflate past 30psi (for grip, not tyre longevity).

Good news is that you can pick up a pair of pretty good tyres for next to nothing.

These are good: http://www.wiggle.co.uk/schwalbe-black-jack-all-terrain-rigid-mtb-tyre/

For very little more, these are excellent: http://www.wiggle.co.uk/continental-x-king-mtb-tyre/

So with time change and everything I decided to try out rollers for some quick after work rides.

NOPE. Returned them. The learning curve is high, but on top of that it seems like even after all that it would be hard to do and watch TV or anything else. I'm probably going to end up picking up a Cycleops Fluid 2.

If you're willing to go a little higher you might want to consider a Kurt Kinetic Road Machine. Far more accurate if you want to use it with something like TrainerRoad (which I can't recommend enough), and they don't have the oil leaking problems that the Fluid 2's have (I'm now on my third unit, all replaced free of charge, but it's a real pain in the arse).

My next one will be a Kurt Kinetic Rock N Roll II.

If you're willing to go a little higher you might want to consider a Kurt Kinetic Road Machine. Far more accurate if you want to use it with something like TrainerRoad (which I can't recommend enough), and they don't have the oil leaking problems that the Fluid 2's have (I'm now on my third unit, all replaced free of charge, but it's a real pain in the arse).

My next one will be a Kurt Kinetic Rock N Roll II.
Hm, there's a new 2014 model of the Fluid 2, I wonder if that kind of stuff has been fixed. The Kurt does look nice though.

Mascot

Had a ton of energy left after a blast through the woods this morning so headed up the Welsh coastal path for a few miles between the two Severn crossings. The weather was gorgeous. You really need to grab days like this by the balls when they come around at this time of year.

Shot a few piccies. Only Nexus 4 shots (with some quick noob editing on the phone). Edit: shit, there's quite a few..!

IMG_20131112_160518.JPG

IMG_20131112_160333.JPG

IMG_20131112_160018.JPG

IMG_20131112_155508.JPG

IMG_20131112_155900.JPG

IMG_20131112_154949.JPG

IMG_20131112_160744.JPG

IMG_20131112_154748.JPG

thomaser

So... biking with contact lenses? How? I have close-fitting cycling glasses, but they don't help much. Sooner or later the lenses will curl up and pop out, often sticking to the glasses. Should I just give up and try to find cycling glasses with prescription lenses instead? That sounds expensive, I dunno.

Eyes water when riding because the air is drying them out and that's what happened to your contacts.Goggles might help, I've been wanting to try that myself but I can't be arsed to find a set of goggles that might work. Kind of spendy too. :/

Mascot

Yeah, that has never happened to me in years of riding. And, even if it did I could probably finish my ride without accident.

Yeah, I wore soft contacts for years before my eyes fixed themselves. I never had a lens pop out either mountain biking, swimming, playing football or off-roading.

Had plenty disappear up behind my eyeball (I'm sure there's one still up there somewhere), but none ever actually popped out.

Hunter S.

Yeah, I wore soft contacts for years before my eyes fixed themselves. I never had a lens pop out either mountain biking, swimming, playing football or off-roading.

Had plenty disappear up behind my eyeball (I'm sure there's one still up there somewhere), but none ever actually popped out.
Lucky you, your vision fixed itself. And, nice photos and location above. I look the sometimes surreal look of filters.

Not much for me to say here, not yet anyway, but—

I learned how to ride about a month or so ago: got an old Fuji hybrid my sister used at college (she wrecked it, but damage isn't that permanent), just taking it around all those places I couldn't visit before. A road bike's definitely in my future, provided I don't already enjoy my mother's old model. We have shit-loads of trail paths in North Texas, but I really need something for long-distance riding.

My bike already has a stand, but Pop's backed this Kickstarter for a more versatile carbon-fiber stand made in North Carolina. Just figured this might be of some interest if not posted already.

Tawpgun

I need a bike built for the rode, damn.

It could be that my mountain bike needs some repairs, but its so janky. I can't get it up to a decent speed to keep up with cars and going uphill is brutal.

Mascot

Fantastically muddy and chilly ride in the local woods today, but for the last hour all I could think about was bacon sandwiches and mugs of tea. Here's the obligatory poorly-focused phone photo with compulsory hipster filter:

1384699697241.jpg

Multitool with chain tool, spare tube, pump, super patches, mech hanger, chain links, small first aid kit, emergency phone (terrain dependant). Longer adds various things like CO2 pump, nuts / bolts, spare pads, spare gear cable, cable ties and duct tape.

Aside from that, food and water. Usually grab 2 litres for under 4 hours and 3 litres for more.

Didn't have a camera. Tried to take some with a smartphone but the battery was dead. Shame really, there was a crazy technical climb which looked like something out of the Lord of the Rings.

Top Bottom