• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bicycle age

Even professional cyclists compete with a compact 34/32(!) set up. It's not a question of adapting to a tough gear - if you tackle ~10% climbs regularly with a 39/25 and a low cadence, you'll sooner do serious damage to your knees than improve your fitness. So yes, I recommend going the "easy" route and switching to a 50/34, if not also switching the cassette.

This is great, thanks so much. I have noticed more issues with my knees since I started to climb more so it seems like moving to a compact might be my best bet.

Not a roadie, so can't be of much help... but, if you do run out of gears at the top end you can always do the whole 120prm windmill thing. :D

Ha. I'll do anything to get over a hill.

i very much appreciate having 34/28
and even sometimes i feel that's not enough on the long slogs

That does sound nice!

Had a busy day yesterday. Did a quick 13.5 mile ride to the local beach and then proceeded to paddle (kayak) around on the river with 17-mph cross-wind for about 2 hours. Ate lunch, rode over to the lake (less choppy, but not by much) and swam almost 1/2 a mile (hard to do after paddling, I tell you what). Jumped out, got back on my bike and rode home (still gusty) and then decided to run three miles.

I slept like a damn baby. Oh, and I need to find a good wet-to-ride crotch gunk because what I have did not serve me well at all yesterday.

Some poor sod took himself out in a big way at the trail centre today. Had the air ambulance out as well as two fast response cars and a normal ambulance.

I believe he's OK, but he was apparently out of it for a good half an hour.

Celegus

Has anyone here ever had to make a smaller seatpost fit into a bigger shaft? I've had absolutely horrible luck trying to find a seatpost that will fit my bike (and no information on the manufacturer's website or book) after my seat and post got stolen a few weeks ago. I measured it and it looked like the 25.4mm would do the trick, but it ended up being too small and wouldn't lock in place at all. Took that one back and got a 27.2mm (those seemed to be the 2 standard sizes) but that wouldn't go in at all. I tried a different brand of 25.4mm to see if maybe the first one was just messed up, but this one is too small as well.

Can I just shove some tin foil in there to give it some extra width? Or something else? It's getting really frustrating trying to find the right part, all because someone out there is a jerk.

Jobiensis

Has anyone here ever had to make a smaller seatpost fit into a bigger shaft? I've had absolutely horrible luck trying to find a seatpost that will fit my bike (and no information on the manufacturer's website or book) after my seat and post got stolen a few weeks ago. I measured it and it looked like the 25.4mm would do the trick, but it ended up being too small and wouldn't lock in place at all. Took that one back and got a 27.2mm (those seemed to be the 2 standard sizes) but that wouldn't go in at all. I tried a different brand of 25.4mm to see if maybe the first one was just messed up, but this one is too small as well.

Can I just shove some tin foil in there to give it some extra width? Or something else? It's getting really frustrating trying to find the right part, all because someone out there is a jerk.

25.6mm and 25.8mm are both slightly less common, but available sizes. A bike shop should be able to measure it and tell you the size, and get you either a proper post or a shim. I wouldn't trust tinfoil for this, you don't want that to corrode or fuse inside your seat tube, and it doesn't seem like that would be very strong.

Celegus

25.6mm and 25.8mm are both slightly less common, but available sizes. A bike shop should be able to measure it and tell you the size, and get you either a proper post or a shim. I wouldn't trust tinfoil for this, you don't want that to corrode or fuse inside your seat tube, and it doesn't seem like that would be very strong.

There's not a bike shop in walking distance, as biking/walking are my two modes of transportation, so I was stuck with ordering online. It looks like some people use old soda cans too.. I can ask a friend for one and try that maybe.

I've used shims plenty of times, they work fine. The good news is that they tend to be really cheap so you can just order a couple of sizes.

Kelas

The Beastie Boys are the first hip hop group in years to have something to say
Not seat post, but I use a shim on my bars for my stem. Assumed my bars were the standard diameter and felt like an idiot when the new stem arrived. The shim works great and hasn't budged one bit since. I'd still recommend proper fitting parts over shims, and I'd avoid using home-made shims (although I also read a bunch of stories from people with good results from cans).

Celegus

I tried a can last night and it seems to have worked really well, at least as a temporary fix. There's no wobble at all, it was actually a perfect fit and feels really solid. I'm just happy my bike is finally usable again - as long as my seat doesn't get stolen again.

thomaser

Got some new bike-buddies! Some of the people I biked with on Sicily wanted to meet up here back home, and we had our first trip today. It's so much easier and more fun to bike when it's in a group. Set a new distance record on my mtb too, with 61 km.

Pics:
13899809906_62ac91e0d8.jpg

13923315724_3e2f3afebf.jpg

13899777912_74e40e66a4.jpg

13923326534_a3f9dfde7b.jpg

kottila

100k with a lot of climbing today. Sorry for forgetting to include the bike in the picture :( went almost all the way up to the where the snow in the background is (500m above sea level)
PzDfCaVl.jpg

Mascot

Got some new bike-buddies! Some of the people I biked with on Sicily wanted to meet up here back home, and we had our first trip today. It's so much easier and more fun to bike when it's in a group. Set a new distance record on my mtb too, with 61 km.

Nice pics. Quality bike leanage.

Sorry for forgetting to include the bike in the picture

Apology NOT accepted. For all we know, you caught the bus.

Another shot of that tree. Those recent storms were brutal. Loads of snapped trunks like this one in the local woods.

qPK7lRw5hNLPV6qkniVY8qC3PgNI0g2fHKuyl2yHZto=w457-h609-no

Mascot

Another day, another blast, another photo.

Absolutely beautiful out there today with carpets of bluebells everywhere and the aroma of wild garlic. Here's a snap as imagined by Timothy Leary:

IMG_20140418_180303.jpg

Moozo

I received my first ever proper road bike for my birthday. It's lovely, but now it's dry I just want to take the MTB out. My cardio is awful at the minute though so I'll have to go on the road for a while anyway.

Oh, also, would like a new helmet for my roadie. Not the pro gear, but I want a change from the one I use offroad. Any (cheap) nice stuff?

thomaser

Great pics, Mascot! I have to learn how to get those hallucinating-like colours. I love Kottila's pic too, looks like a great place to bike. It's in Finland, right? May I ask where?

My right knee started hurting near the end of my ride yesterday, and today it's been quite bad. Walking down stairs hurts a lot :-( So no cycling for me until the pain goes away. I've tried using lighter gears with a higher cadence lately, so this wasn't because of too heavy gears. Could it be that the saddle is too low?

thomaser

Forgot! Some pictures from my Sicily-trip:

Trying "my" Massi-bike for the first time (yes, I got badly sunburned later that day):
13940886673_503528067f.jpg

In front of Noto Cathedral, after biking slowly through their main street two times, pissing off all the local drivers:
13940845785_a0b6f859e4.jpg

Exploring Modica. Fascinating place, I really want to go back there some day:
13940867485_8d0bb25b0c.jpg

Posing in Marina di Ragusa:
13917745911_dd0a03348f.jpg

Taking a breather after having lunch in Scoglitti:
13941309384_1e31641268.jpg

Getting lost in Piazza Armerina:
13917756966_3d83e2a322.jpg

Early morning, looking towards Regalbuto:
13941282984_5f71e6ec02.jpg

Stopping in Bronte for (mediocre) coffee and (amazing) pistachio icecream:
13941413224_50fe363d84.jpg

The small, labyrinthine hilltop-town Castiglione di Sicilia. Very atmospheric place in the evening, but almost no people around:
13917875631_e7580de811.jpg

Reaching the east coast, at Giardini Naxos. Italy's mainland can be seen far in the distance:
13917741356_e9f5a9af76.jpg

View from Taormina, with the foot of Mount Etna starting to rise in the background. Some in our group had a grueling climb halfway up the mountain earlier that day. I didn't, choosing the beach instead:
13940902313_46f099f892.jpg

Kelas

Great pics, Mascot! I have to learn how to get those hallucinating-like colours. I love Kottila's pic too, looks like a great place to bike. It's in Finland, right? May I ask where?

My right knee started hurting near the end of my ride yesterday, and today it's been quite bad. Walking down stairs hurts a lot :-( So no cycling for me until the pain goes away. I've tried using lighter gears with a higher cadence lately, so this wasn't because of too heavy gears. Could it be that the saddle is too low?

Great pics.

Where exactly are you feeling the pain? I had a week last year of pretty bad right knee pain in the tendons just below the knee cap. I'd notice it off the bike when bending at the knees or standing up, and also on the bike when pedalling with any sort of pressure. A change in cleat position pretty much solved it immediately. Unfortunately I also immediately discarded the memory of the original position of the cleat, but it was either rotated in or out too far - the fix was essentially straightening up my foot so that it was closer to parallel with the frame of the bike.

Having said that, it could be something else for you. Saddle height could be too low or too high, too far back or too far forward. Though it's tempting to change a whole bunch of things at once, the key is to change one variable a small amount at a time and test it until you're comfortable. A good starting position though for saddle height - with the cranks at 12 and 6 oclock, with your leg straightened, your heel should just touch the pedal at the 6 oclock position; when clipped in, your leg in the same position should have a slight bend at the knee. If you feel like you're over-extending your leg, or are rocking from side to side when pedalling, then it's too high. Your hips should be able to stay mostly motionless while pedalling.

thomaser

Where exactly are you feeling the pain?

It's directly under the kneecap on the front - the same place you had pain. It's most apparent when going in stairs (especially down) or when I rise from a squatting position.

I don't think the angle of the cleats is a problem, since I used the same shoes and cleats in Sicily, where I biked for much longer distances without having knee pain at all. But I'll have a look at the position of my feet tomorrow and see if they're angled in our out compared to the bike. If that doesn't work, I'll do as you say and change one variable at a time. Thanks for the suggestions! Much appreciated.

Jobiensis

I get knee pain when my training levels pick up. It doesn't always mean something is wrong. I try to concentrate on form, which is smooth pedal strokes in addition to keeping cadence up.

Also, fit is very personal. If my feet are pushed parallel to the frame I would end up in a lot of pain.

Mascot

Great pics, Mascot! I have to learn how to get those hallucinating-like colours.

Ha ha... thanks! I only upload so many photos because it's so damn easy. I snap them all on my phone (Nexus 4) then as soon as I get back home and into wifi range they automatically upload to Google+ where some simple filters (like the bluebell acid trip) can be applied. The Google+ image links can then be used to post them here, so no more having to upload them to Photobucket or host them elsewhere. it's a piece of piss now.

Your Sicily photos are great, btw. Made me almost think about dipping my toe into the dark side of road biking.

Almost. :p

kottila

If my memory is correct it is actually only a few hundred kilometers north of where you live. This was a small valley on the way to Sognefjorden

Mascot

Anyone here use a MIPS helmet or are thinking of upgrading? Head protection is obviously one of those things on which it's easy to justify expenditure, and MIPS lids are getting affordable now. I do like the look of the Scott Stego which can be nabbed for around £110 with great reviews.

scott-stego-mtb-cycling-helmet-227640-.jpg

Scott promo movie

Danielsan

Just got back from a 47km solo ride. Went back to the Mountain bike trail on Texel. Took the boat at 7:30 in the morning so I could ride through the woods in the early morning sun. I regret nothing.

pUSeZuw.jpg

eda5ZqX.jpg

J5rAuUh.jpg

Mascot

Just got back from a 47km solo ride. Went back to the Mountain bike trail on Texel. Took the boat at 7:30 in the morning so I could ride through the woods in the early morning sun. I regret nothing.

Nice pics! There's nothing like riding through the calm chill of the forest with dawn sunlight filtering through the mist. Love it. This is an old photo but reminds me I really must make an effort to get some early rides in before work this year.

4bujGgLMOElEsWtlYvAHXNYhOqboXOQMRquXT8pdtAI=w812-h609-no

Danielsan

Nice pics! There's nothing like riding through the calm chill of the forest with dawn sunlight filtering through the mist. Love it. This is an old photo but reminds me I really must make an effort to get some early rides in before work this year.

4bujGgLMOElEsWtlYvAHXNYhOqboXOQMRquXT8pdtAI=w812-h609-no
Good lord. Wherever that is, I need to go there. Fantastic photo!

thomaser

If my memory is correct it is actually only a few hundred kilometers north of where you live. This was a small valley on the way to Sognefjorden

It's about 150 km south of me, then :)

Mascot said:
Your Sicily photos are great, btw. Made me almost think about dipping my toe into the dark side of road biking.

Almost. :p

Nah, just keep riding your mtb. I didn't take pictures of all the dreary roads we went on, but to be fair many of them were absolutely beautiful, with little or no traffic. I'm quite envious of those cool forests you have access to. Around here, our forests are mostly on steep mountainsides and impossible to bike in, except for short gravel roads made for cars here and there. It's possible to ride on top of many of our mountains, but I don't feel I have the skills yet.

Kelas

It doesn't always mean something is wrong..

If you're feeling pain in your knees during or after cycling, something is almost certainly wrong! Cycling is a very low impact sport when it comes to your knees - if they're hurting either your fit is wrong (or technique, which generally goes along with your fit) or you're exerting yourself far beyond what you're capable of. It's not like aching muscles that come with a tough workout - doing something that gives you knee pain again and again will inevitably lead to a more serious injury. The last thing anyone should be thinking is that knee pain is in any way a normal, expected facet of cycling.

Jasup

This is a smaller scale bike trip I took today. I was going to see my family at their seaside cabin. Because it's only 20km away I went by bike and because I'm bored I decided to document it on the go with my cell phone camera, joy!

It has to be noted that the weather was absolutely amazing. The temperature was a bit under 10C, sun was shining and there was very little wind. This winter has been the second warmest in recorded history here, and the spring is about a month early but it's here.

Early stages of my journey were on the cycle ways that criss cross between and through the city's suburbs:
retki1phjzy.jpg

retki2qlkc2.jpg

The sand on the path hasn't been cleared yet after the winter.

After 10km things get a bit more rural:
retkiheppaifj17.jpg

Not only do you share the path with pedestrians, but there are occassionally horses there too.

At about 15km mark the cycle ways and public roads are left behind and a thick forest looms ahead:
retki3qijxi.jpg

There's still a bit of snow in the shade:
retki58lj3y.jpg

There's also an ancient stone labyrinth in the forest:
retki4j1kjq.jpg

The "road" leads to the sea shore:
retki6c7jg7.jpg

The sea still has ice, but it already has big cracks on it. But why not...
retki78bjbj.jpg

I'll be going with my non mountain biking friend, so I might actually take a few shots whilst I'm waiting for him to come down / of him as he's coming down.

kottila

Wow - gorgeous!

Thanks.On a side note, I just discovered veloviewer.com where you can do all sorts of fancy stuff with your Strava-data, so I played a little bit with it and made this graphical representation of the north side climb (the toughest). 5,6km, 446m elevation difference, 8% average

IENaqLE.jpg

(raceshape is also a fun Strava-third party page)

Jobiensis

If you're feeling pain in your knees during or after cycling, something is almost certainly wrong! Cycling is a very low impact sport when it comes to your knees - if they're hurting either your fit is wrong (or technique, which generally goes along with your fit) or you're exerting yourself far beyond what you're capable of. It's not like aching muscles that come with a tough workout - doing something that gives you knee pain again and again will inevitably lead to a more serious injury. The last thing anyone should be thinking is that knee pain is in any way a normal, expected facet of cycling.

Sorry, but training isn't low impact, and often it is pushing yourself to your limits. It is literally impossible to exceed what you are capable of, I'm not even sure what you mean by that. It looks like you copy pasted stuff off of a website on fit. You could destroy someone's knees by forcing their feet parallel to the frame, foot placement should mimic natural gate.

Some joint pain is a pretty normal part of training. I know very few serious cyclists that don't have to deal with it in the start of the season. The first time running a TSS >1200 for three weeks and your joints will hurt.

I'm not saying this is or isn't the case for Thomaser, but your gross over-simplifications are wrong.

It doesn't always mean something is wrong. As I stated, I get it when my training levels pick up, and it clears up after a cycle or two.

Thanks.On a side note, I just discovered veloviewer.com where you can do all sorts of fancy stuff with your Strava-data, so I played a little bit with it and made this graphical representation of the north side climb (the toughest). 5,6km, 446m elevation difference, 8% average

IENaqLE.jpg

(raceshape is also a fun Strava-third party page)

Cool, don't know if it is the same site, but there used to be another one, that Strava killed with one of their updates.

On that note it looks like the Strava club died, anyone want to start one up, probably PT, since he seems the most consistently active one here.

kottila

Cool, don't know if it is the same site, but there used to be another one, that Strava killed with one of their updates.

On that note it looks like the Strava club died, anyone want to start one up, probably PT, since he seems the most consistently active one here.

I think they actually fixed the API-thing after the reactions by the users.

Mascot

This is a smaller scale bike trip I took today. I was going to see my family at their seaside cabin. Because it's only 20km away I went by bike and because I'm bored I decided to document it on the go with my cell phone camera, joy!

It has to be noted that the weather was absolutely amazing. The temperature was a bit under 10C, sun was shining and there was very little wind. This winter has been the second warmest in recorded history here, and the spring is about a month early but it's here.

Fantastic! But no bike-leaning-against-a-rock/tree/fence/wall/building/animal shot? Mascot am disappoint.

Is that Sweden?

Jasup

Fantastic! But no bike-leaning-against-a-rock/tree/fence/wall/building/animal shot? Mascot am disappoint.

Is that Sweden?

I decided not to add it at first. Parked at the labyrinth.
pr0bkmf.jpg

The bike's my commuter bike. As you can see, it's not that well suited for trails, but it still handles dirt roads well.

It's not Sweden but Finland, however the border's not that far away.

Kelas

It is literally impossible to exceed what you are capable of, I'm not even sure what you mean by that.

Sorry, I'll make it clearer. What you are capable of without causing yourself injury or unnecessary pain.

It looks like you copy pasted stuff off of a website on fit.

I don't see how it looks like that at all? The part where I said someone's fit might be wrong if they're experiencing knee pain? That looks copy pasted?

You could destroy someone's knees by forcing their feet parallel to the frame

Good thing no one is forcing anyone to do anything like that then?

Some joint pain is a pretty normal part of training. I know very few serious cyclists that don't have to deal with it in the start of the season. The first time running a TSS >1200 for three weeks and your joints will hurt.

And that pain is a clear indication that they're overworking those joints.

but your gross over-simplifications are wrong.

That knee pain means something is wrong with your fit/technique/effort on the bike? If you think that's wrong, we'll just have to agree to disagree.

Top Bottom