• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bicycle age

I wouldn't pay that much for shorts in my darkest nightmare lol.

Okay, I assumed you were supposed to keep the shorts out in the open but if you can cover them up that sounds decent. How much do these shorts normally cost? If they are anything over $50 I will just look for a different solution.

$50 is pretty much the entry point for shorts, but since price is a concern I would just wear something like this under your regular shorts or jeans.

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00CWVP9YC/?tag=neogaf0e-20

I could never bring myself to wear those, lol. Just way too lame for me. Even those typical cycling helmets are a bit too much for me, so I only wear them when I know I'm going to be near traffic. What do you think is the best solution without wearing cycling shorts? Sweat pants?

Well, I wear shorts on over them usually. Like basketball shorts or something? Or rain pants if it's raining, that kind of thing.
Padded cycling shorts (or bibs) are the very best solution. Just wear a pair of cargo shorts (or your jeans if you like) over the top of them and nobody (except your ever-thankful balls and ass) will even know you're wearing them.

And dude - wear your helmet at all times. You don't get to decide when you'll need it.

I always laugh at those people who carry their helmet. Like, what? You're going to fall off your bike and somehow put it on like The Flash?

Mascot

Okay, I assumed you were supposed to keep the shorts out in the open but if you can cover them up that sounds decent. How much do these shorts normally cost? If they are anything over $50 I will just look for a different solution.

Mine cost £8 a pair from Lidl, are really well made and really comfortable with excellent padding. You can pay a lot more for cycling shorts but I can't for the life of me imagine why you'd ever want to (especially if they are worn under other shorts), unless you are a sports label snob.

v5b.png

kottila

Mine cost £8 a pair from Lidl, are really well made and really comfortable with excellent padding. You can pay a lot more for cycling shorts but I can't for the life of me imagine why you'd ever want to (especially if they are worn under other shorts), unless you are a sports label snob.

v5b.png

Wouldn't you rather be this guy?

Goddard

$50 is pretty much the entry point for shorts, but since price is a concern I would just wear something like this under your regular shorts or jeans.

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00CWVP9YC/?tag=neogaf0e-20

I'll see if I can find something like that in Canada.

Well, I wear shorts on over them usually. Like basketball shorts or something? Or rain pants if it's raining, that kind of thing.

I always laugh at those people who carry their helmet. Like, what? You're going to fall off your bike and somehow put it on like The Flash?

I also find that pretty funny. The thing for me is that I grew up BMXing with no helmet, I refused to wear one, so the stigma associated with me wearing a dorky cycling helmet is so high it usually outweighs the risk of crashing my bike. I only put it on when I'm riding in traffic, the rest of the time I'm usually riding casually on trails, and although there is still risk, I have crashed so many times on trails before when I was younger that I am really good at catching myself/bailing off the bike.

v5b.png

Okay.

Mascot

I also find that pretty funny. The thing for me is that I grew up BMXing with no helmet, I refused to wear one, so the stigma associated with me wearing a dorky cycling helmet is so high it usually outweighs the risk of crashing my bike. I only put it on when I'm riding in traffic, the rest of the time I'm usually riding casually on trails, and although there is still risk, I have crashed so many times on trails before when I was younger that I am really good at catching myself/bailing off the bike.

Erm... okay! Good luck with that.

Watevaman

I'm thinking of getting some of that cycling gear for the summer so I don't have to worry about wearing some heavy cotton stuff while doing the single track, but as a poorboy, I'm looking for deals like that but in the US. Is Monton (I'm assuming it's Chinese) an ok deal? Also, what's the performance difference between a bib+shirt vs. a shirt+shorts? Is it just better support?

Or, am I looking at this stuff wrong for mountain biking? I just want something that wicks moisture and breathes well.

WanderingWind

Mecklemore Is My Favorite Wrapper
I bought a bike to ride to work and back with (roughly 25-30km round trip). I'm enjoying it, but I forgot shifting and stuff. When I'm going uphill, what gears should I be in to make it so I don't have to stand and really crank on the pedals to move bullshit kilometers per hour?

I'm thinking of getting some of that cycling gear for the summer so I don't have to worry about wearing some heavy cotton stuff while doing the single track, but as a poorboy, I'm looking for deals like that but in the US. Is Monton (I'm assuming it's Chinese) an ok deal? Also, what's the performance difference between a bib+shirt vs. a shirt+shorts? Is it just better support?

Or, am I looking at this stuff wrong for mountain biking? I just want something that wicks moisture and breathes well.

US citizen chiming in here, but Monton has been reliable for me and with great pricing. The biggest downside, obviously, is the shipping time. Depending on how much you're willing to fork over, you're looking at a wait of at least a week to a little over a month for your products. Amazon it isn't!

And bib's just ensure your shorts aren't rolling down all the time meaning you have to stop to pull them back up.

I bought a bike to ride to work and back with (roughly 25-30km round trip). I'm enjoying it, but I forgot shifting and stuff. When I'm going uphill, what gears should I be in to make it so I don't have to stand and really crank on the pedals to move bullshit kilometers per hour?

Don't know your exact gearing but shift to your small chainring and go from there. So, for example, if you have a 52x39 crank with a 12-25 cassette, then downshift to the 39 and work your way through the cassette to find a cadence your most comfortable with. Others can correct me on this, but generally you want to try and maintain a cadence of about 80-90 going uphill (depending on grade, too). Obviously, if you're experiencing gradients at 6% or higher, you're probably gonna be below 80 but just try and maintain consistency.

WanderingWind

Cassette....crank..
52e752b81605fb077400001e.jpg

I have a Trek bicycle. It is gray. It has gears 1-3 on the left, 1-7 on the right. I know that low number gears make pedaling easy, high number makes it like running through mud. This is about the extent of my knowledge.

Also, is there a tool better than Google Maps for finding a bike route? I rode using what Google told me, and a good stretch was on a semi-main road. Motorists were friendly, but still, if I can find a strict bike path I would feel much safer. Ich liebe in Deutschland.

Cassette....crank..

I have a Trek bicycle. It is gray. It has gears 1-3 on the left, 1-7 on the right. I know that low number gears make pedaling easy, high number makes it like running through mud. This is about the extent of my knowledge.

Also, is there a tool better than Google Maps for finding a bike route? I rode using what Google told me, and a good stretch was on a semi-main road. Motorists were friendly, but still, if I can find a strict bike path I would feel much safer. Ich liebe in Deutschland.

Ha, no worries, I was the same at first. In fact, I don't even recognize the gears you posted.. Do you have a mountain or road bike and what's the name? I'm guessing Mountain by the gears. Basically for hills, just make sure that your chain is around the small chain ring on your bike. Here's a good primer.

http://www.bikeradar.com/us/gear/article/ultimate-guide-to-mountain-bike-gears-29876/

As for maps -- use either Strava or MapMyRide. The "bike safe" roads will be lined in green, although I'm sure there's a mode that allows you to zero in on bike specific paths and trails.

Wiggle's / UKCE's Ups & Downs yesterday was a nightmare and awesome at the same time. Some fantastic descents, but the rain of the night before had destroyed the ground so it was all unbelievably hard going. My nephew hadn't trained properly either so what should have been a three or four hour ride turned into a seven hour ride.

So unbelievably muddy when I got back. I even took a photo... with a tree no less.

thomaser

Cassette....crank..

It has gears 1-3 on the left, 1-7 on the right.

When you get to a long or steep hill, put the left gear on 1 and the right pretty low, perhaps on 1 to start with. If it's too light and you just spin without getting anywhere, choose higher gears on the right side until you reach a resistance that's comfortable.

Mascot

Wiggle's / UKCE's Ups & Downs yesterday was a nightmare and awesome at the same time. Some fantastic descents, but the rain of the night before had destroyed the ground so it was all unbelievably hard going. My nephew hadn't trained properly either so what should have been a three or four hour ride turned into a seven hour ride.

So unbelievably muddy when I got back. I even took a photo... with a tree no less.

Yeah, this rain is really pissing me off. After the wet winter we had it's taken weeks for my local trails to dry out to the point of rideability and it's now been pissing down all night and all day. With the ground still saturated it's back to square one again.

Don't get me wrong, I love a bit of mud. Just not a big fan of bog snorkeling.

Fucking climate.

WanderingWind

Thanks guys. I rode to and from work, my legs were a bit sore and I was scared shitless of getting hit on that one road, but other than that, I had fun. I had issues with a couple of hills and a leg cramp on the way back, but as I was going cold turkey to 25k, I felt I did alright.

Any common issues to look out for? Any tips?

Goddard

Thanks guys. I rode to and from work, my legs were a bit sore and I was scared shitless of getting hit on that one road, but other than that, I had fun. I had issues with a couple of hills and a leg cramp on the way back, but as I was going cold turkey to 25k, I felt I did alright.

Any common issues to look out for? Any tips?

Tips for what situation?

Goddard

Long distance, frequent riding. Not dying. Uh.

I dunno. Stuff?

The most common issues I see from long distance riding discomfort from clothing, going to far and buckling on the way back, and not bringing enough water. If you have comfy clothes, lots of water, know that you can handle the distance, and know the rules of the road, you are pretty much good to go. Very long distance it is good to bring tools with you, but 25k isn't very long.

Long distance, frequent riding. Not dying. Uh.

I dunno. Stuff?

Ride in a predictable manner. Signal turns, don't ride on the shoulder, and try to relax. Less than 10% of bicycle crashes are caused by a car hitting you. Just be visible, consistent, and follow the rules of the road and you will be fine.

I just finished getting certified as a cycling instructor, so feel free to PM me if I can help in any way. :)

WanderingWind

The most common issues I see from long distance riding discomfort from clothing, going to far and buckling on the way back, and not bringing enough water. If you have comfy clothes, lots of water, know that you can handle the distance, and know the rules of the road, you are pretty much good to go. Very long distance it is good to bring tools with you, but 25k isn't very long.

Ride in a predictable manner. Signal turns, don't ride on the shoulder, and try to relax. Less than 10% of bicycle crashes are caused by a car hitting you. Just be visible, consistent, and follow the rules of the road and you will be fine.

I just finished getting certified as a cycling instructor, so feel free to PM me if I can help in any way. :)

Thanks. This is really fun. Not sure if I'll ever find it fun climbing mountains, but as a secondary mode of transportation, it can't be beat. Get where I'm going and shed excess calories...yeah, that's a good deal.

I forgot about hand signals, though I am bullish about road signage. It annoys me as a driver when cyclists think they can do whatever the hell they want, so I'm trying to not be that guy.

Thanks. This is really fun. Not sure if I'll ever find it fun climbing mountains, but as a secondary mode of transportation, it can't be beat. Get where I'm going and shed excess calories...yeah, that's a good deal.

I forgot about hand signals, though I am bullish about road signage. It annoys me as a driver when cyclists think they can do whatever the hell they want, so I'm trying to not be that guy.

Signals help, but lane positioning is equally important. Here is a good and quick resource to help you know where to be within a lane at any time.

http://bicyclesafe.com/

also, buy lights. :)

WanderingWind

Signals help, but lane positioning is equally important. Here is a good and quick resource to help you know where to be within a lane at any time.

http://bicyclesafe.com/

also, buy lights. :)

Well, that site is scary. "Here is how you're gonna die, with diagrams."

Luckily, I think I may have found a slightly longer route that takes me to work using bike paths exclusively. I need to buy lights, a mirror and a kickstand ASAP.

kottila

Well, that site is scary. "Here is how you're gonna die, with diagrams."

Luckily, I think I may have found a slightly longer route that takes me to work using bike paths exclusively. I need to buy lights, a mirror and a kickstand ASAP.

They forgot one important danger; whena truck driver decides to pass close to you in a dark downhill tunnell when you're doing 50-60km/h and he is at 80-90. The turbulence was really frightening (i can easily see where it happened just by looking at the graph of my heart rate)

Edit: pro-tip: don't put on any of the clothing that goes on top of your bib untill you're ready to leave. Otherwise you'll just have to remove it again to use the bathroom

WanderingWind

Bib? I wear jeans and some boots when I bike. I don't think I need special biking shorts or anything for 25miles (not kilometers, oops) 2-3 times a week.

My delicate bits may disagree shortly.

Mascot

Was just heading out for an evening blast around the woods when there was a ma-hoosive clap of thunder. Glanced over the roof of the house to see ink-black skies rolling in.

Erm... no thanks! Feet up and Fargo it is then.

muu

cheap liners certainly can make a longer ride more comfortable w/o having to spend hundreds on clothing. I got several I've amassed over the years, wear it under your jeans or shorts or whatever when you go to work, and don't forget to pack your underwear.

cbox

Guys, if your nuts hurt get one of these :

sQs54lV.jpg

Have had one for 3 years now and no more soreness! Well, there's soreness in different areas, but not the important bits...

Oh I don't know, a mountain bike can do everything a road bike can do, and more... only just a bit slower. :)

I can lift mine just fine too. :p

kottila

Oh I don't know, a mountain bike can do everything a road bike can do, and more... only just a bit slower. :)

I can lift mine just fine too. :p

The picure dosen't really do the tagline justice, because we had to ride half the way on gravel/rocky trails. On the way down we discovered that MTB's at least have one advantage; puncture resistance

Bah, if it doesn't fold in half at the sight of a rock it's not a road bike.

(The bike they did Road Bike Party with is an absolutely incredible bit of kit)

I did 127miles of the Pennine Trail today, absolutely wrecked, arse in tatters even after doubling up on the padded shorts :(

Also managed to slip in some of the second stage of this year's Tour de France

untitled-1o8r8f.jpg

Took me 43 minutes to get to the top - lol

imag0143fwow5.jpg

10% descent on the other side, I can't wait to see them fly down it.

imag01132pq62.jpg

imag01188jqxh.jpg

imag01219mrxo.jpg

WanderingWind

cheap liners certainly can make a longer ride more comfortable w/o having to spend hundreds on clothing. I got several I've amassed over the years, wear it under your jeans or shorts or whatever when you go to work, and don't forget to pack your underwear.

...why would you not wear underwear? I feel I'm missing something critical here. Bike shorts are just spandex, and you go commando? And somebody said something about a diaper?

Jobiensis

Impressive ride WFV.

...why would you not wear underwear? I feel I'm missing something critical here. Bike shorts are just spandex, and you go commando? And somebody said something about a diaper?

Bike shorts have a padded chamois. I can't imagine how uncomfortable they would be with underwear.

Mengy

wishes it were bannable to say mean things about Marvel
I did 127miles of the Pennine Trail today, absolutely wrecked, arse in tatters even after doubling up on the padded shorts :(

Also managed to slip in some of the second stage of this year's Tour de France

127 MILES???

Man, and I am spent after 20 miles of a moderately difficult local trail. Kudos to you man.

Pinkuss

Ever done the full route? I do the first East stretch fairly frequently (Hull to Hornsea/back and to Brough). Only ever managed about 90 hours in a day though. As I'm from near Liverpool I'm tempted to take a day off or two and do it all if possible.

Also; anyone got any recommendations on Cube bikes? Looking to upgrade from my standard Cube Ltd, spending under £1100 (preferably £1050 so can get some decent pedals). Do love my Cube Ltd but it needs so much work and I've just been promoted so a new bike could be a nice treat.

Top Bottom