• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bicycle age

Thanks.On a side note, I just discovered veloviewer.com where you can do all sorts of fancy stuff with your Strava-data, so I played a little bit with it and made this graphical representation of the north side climb (the toughest). 5,6km, 446m elevation difference, 8% average

IENaqLE.jpg

(raceshape is also a fun Strava-third party page)

damn, that's awesome,gonna have to check out veloviewer. nice climb, too!

thomaser

Thanks for mentioning Veloviewer, it's pretty cool! Here's the last part of the hardest climb I had in Sicily, up to a town called Assoro:

s6158473.png

Jobiensis

thomaser, that climb looks pretty awesome.

I'm going to be making charts all day

We must be coming at complete polar opposites, because training is painful, it is supposed to be painful, and it is always a fine line to injury. Joint pain can be part of this, especially when you start ramping up intensity. Ice and tylenol. I've been very clear, and repetitive that I am talking about training, if you are toddling along I agree with you.

Mengy

wishes it were bannable to say mean things about Marvel
Thanks for mentioning Veloviewer, it's pretty cool! Here's the last part of the hardest climb I had in Sicily, up to a town called Assoro:

s6158473.png

Man, these gps plots are making me want to buy a new gps and do the same. My Magellan gps is so old and crappy that I don't even bother to use it anymore.

I spent a few hours this weekend getting my Giant ready for riding season. Took forever to get the back derailer tuned but now it shifts like a brand new bike once more. I'm gonna need new tires soon though, they are looking fairly worn.

My gf wants a cheap basic bike to go riding with me (when I'm on easy rides). She just wants a Wal-Mart bike to ride but man I'm hesitant to even think about it. Went and looked at the local Wally world and she likes the Next PX6.0. It's a full suspension bike for $150. Yeah, um, okay.

Anyone here have any experience with the Next line of bikes, or Wal Mart bikes in general?

Jobiensis

I'll probably be the dissenting voice, but if she is just starting out, a cheap bike that won't last may end up being a better deal. Most people don't stick with riding much. If she does, then upgrade and you're only out $150.

Still playing with veloviewer, I'm not going to get much work done today.

Kelas

The Beastie Boys are the first hip hop group in years to have something to say
We must be coming at complete polar opposites, because training is painful, it is supposed to be painful, and it is always a fine line to injury. Joint pain can be part of this, especially when you start ramping up intensity. Ice and tylenol. I've been very clear, and repetitive that I am talking about training, if you are toddling along I agree with you.

And I'm not going to tell you how to train if you're happy with that risk to your joints and are prepared to deal with the consequences, but again, nothing you've said goes against the only thing I've said: knee pain is an indicator that something is wrong. If anything, saying "it is always a fine line to injury" only supports that point.

I would recommend anyone concerned about knee pain to do their own research, seek out the opinions of physicians or physios (and bike fit professionals), understand where the pain stems from, the improper technique and/or muscle imbalances that can cause it, and the potential ramifications of ignoring it.

At times I've I've put 30 hours worth of intensive training in on a turbo trainer in a week (on top of outdoor rides) and I've literally never felt even the slightest twinge in my knees. If you're getting knee pain the chances are you're either doing something wrong or you've got something wrong already.

Muscle pain and soreness is one thing, joint pain can be something entirely different. Don't ignore it just because you think "training is supposed to hurt".

Jobiensis

At times I've I've put 30 hours worth of intensive training in on a turbo trainer in a week (on top of outdoor rides) and I've literally never felt even the slightest twinge in my knees. If you're getting knee pain the chances are you're either doing something wrong or you've got something wrong already.

If you can handle intense training for 30 hours a week, you are Pro/1/2 material.

Muscle pain and soreness is one thing, joint pain can be something entirely different. Don't ignore it just because you think "training is supposed to hurt".

It can, and I never stated that it couldn't, or that it should be ignored. It just isn't that abnormal in intensive training cycles, and starting to change your bike fit because of an instance of pain is stupid, especially if their isn't any reason fit would've changed. Recurring issues are something different.

And I'm not going to tell you how to train
Good, I already have a coach.

I would recommend anyone concerned about knee pain to do their own research, seek out the opinions of physicians or physios (and bike fit professionals), understand where the pain stems from, the improper technique and/or muscle imbalances that can cause it, and the potential ramifications of ignoring it.

I'd agree with that, but you didn't do that, you recommended starting to change the bike.

If you can handle intense training for 30 hours a week, you are Pro/1/2 material.

Except you wouldn't see me dead on a road bike. ;)

Edit - To explain that, I was one of those idiots that thought a ridiculous amount of endurance training would make me a better mountain biker... it didn't, it just made me weak, skinny and meant that I was only ever capable of setting good times on non technical surfaces. Now I spend most of my time resistance training and only a very limited amount of time on the trainer (generally high intensity interval work).

Watevaman

Man now that it's warming up I can't wait to get back home this summer and try my hand on Fountainhead's single track again. Definitely want to get in shape this summer.

Question, though: I know a lot of people say don't wear stuff on your back and that's primarily how I get my water (a camelpak). With the intensity of riding for me, what's the best route to go so I can stay as light as possible but have water and also carry my wallet/phone/keys? Do you guys just use a bottle cage and like a small bag attached somewhere to the frame?

Jobiensis

Except you wouldn't see me dead on a road bike. ;)

They race mountain bikes too. Granted you aren't going to get a famous model girlfriend unless you go road. :)

Seriously, that is pretty impressive. 20 hours is about my Max, and I can't do that for more than a cycle or two. But, I'm also fairly old.

Kelas

The Beastie Boys are the first hip hop group in years to have something to say
Man now that it's warming up I can't wait to get back home this summer and try my hand on Fountainhead's single track again. Definitely want to get in shape this summer.

Question, though: I know a lot of people say don't wear stuff on your back and that's primarily how I get my water (a camelpak). With the intensity of riding for me, what's the best route to go so I can stay as light as possible but have water and also carry my wallet/phone/keys? Do you guys just use a bottle cage and like a small bag attached somewhere to the frame?

Bottle cages with one or two small bottles for me, and rear pockets on my jersey for my valuables. Your jersey choices are a little more limited if you want a zipped pocket, though. You can get bags for the frame as well, though I think they're more common for mountain bikes; I wouldn't put one on my road bike! Some people choose to keep the bottle cage on the seat tube free for a storage bottle to shove some stuff in to, though that'll mean bringing a large single drink bottle if you're someone who needs a lot of liquid.

I'd agree with that, but you didn't do that, you recommended starting to change the bike.

Thomaser asked about knee pain - I commented about similar right knee issues I had and what had worked to quickly resolve those issues for me. This is not a recommendation to do anything, it's a suggestion of a possible solution to the problem. Having pain in one knee can point to a problem on that side of the bike, with the cleat on that side being a logically likely culprit.

Though it feels strange to need to explain my post like this; I clearly went on to say "it might be something else for you", and, considering he asked about saddle height, I listed a non-exhaustive list of other possible fit related issues. Being unsure of his saddle height, I suggested a starting point in determining the correct saddle height. Simple really.

Aiustis

Went to a meeting the other day about plans for a new bike lane. Hopefully it goes through. I'm tired of hearing a lot of the opposition treat cycling like it's just some leisure activity rather than a mode of transport.

Requiem

Anyone know a good bike fitting shop in NYC (preferably Queens/BK area)?

Want to get a bike off of CR this weekend but have really no idea the size and style bike I need

thomaser

Going to a lecture tomorrow by a former pro road cyclist, Dag Erik Pedersen. After that, we'll go cycling with him for around 40 km. He's 55, so I hope I can keep up...

thomaser

Going to a lecture tomorrow by a former pro road cyclist, Dag Erik Pedersen. After that, we'll go cycling with him for around 40 km. He's 55, so I hope I can keep up...

Kept up with him and the rest of the road racing gang for the first 12 or so kilometers. After that, they disappeared into the distance and I did the rest of the trip along with the only other person who had an mtb. Nice trip in beautiful weather, but I really wish I'd had a racer for occasions like this...

Mascot

Kept up with him and the rest of the road racing gang for the first 12 or so kilometers. After that, they disappeared into the distance and I did the rest of the trip along with the only other person who had an mtb. Nice trip in beautiful weather, but I really wish I'd had a racer for occasions like this...

No photos?

So I love my single-speed bike right now but am thinking of getting another bike, though this time a road bike.

Max budget I want to spend is probably $950 and definitely don't mind late model bikes. That said, as much as CL is an option, I need a bike that's max 50cm (yes I'm on the short side).

Any particular brands worth checking out? Current bike is a Torker U District.

Thanks.

thomaser

You were probably still on the road when this pic was taken? https://twitter.com/dagerikpedersen/status/459587852419211264

Yeah, he had already left when we arrived. The three on the right are from the local cycling club, and the one on the left was with me on Sicily. Damn, they're fast. Or I'm slow. One second I'm in their group, spinning as fast as I can on the highest gear just to keep up, then the leader ups the speed and ten seconds later they're 200 meters ahead.

Oh my god is there anything worse than the feeling of being completely bonked out yet still 5 miles away from your starting point? Did the same 50 miler yesterday that I've done with no problems before but the temp was hovering near 90 and I made the rookie error in not bringing enough food. The last 5 miles were awful, just pedaling squares and fighting the urge to get off and call my fiance. Looked like a Morton's salt tablet when I was finished...

cbox

Oh my god is there anything worse than the feeling of being completely bonked out yet still 5 miles away from your starting point? Did the same 50 miler yesterday that I've done with no problems before but the temp was hovering near 90 and I made the rookie error in not bringing enough food. The last 5 miles were awful, just pedaling squares and fighting the urge to get off and call my fiance. Looked like a Morton's salt tablet when I was finished...

I've done this before, probably 30km from home too and it sucks :( Worse for me though is running out of water on a really hot day.

Tom_Cody

I made this mistake two separate times when I was just starting out biking a few years ago. In both instances my body just shut down ~40 miles in. Those were two absolutely horrible experiences.

Now I always make sure to have wear a camelback (or similar) and have goo and mini cliff bars with me just in case.

It's awful. Pretty sure I'm still feeling the effects today -- head hurts and just flat out of it. What makes it worse is that I have all the necessary foods at home, be it gels, honey waffles, clif blocks, but I just didn't take enough. Ugh.

First thing I did when I made it home was have some chocolate milk, a nourishment drink called Nutren 2.0 (500 cals, 30g protein) and a banana. An hour later I had a rack of ribs, mac and cheese, and some mashed potatoes. Went straight to bed afterwards... :lol

Goddard

How do you guys deal with underwear chaffing? I generally wear either briefs, or boxer briefs underneath jeans, and after about 30km of riding standing up off the seat is incredibly painful because of my legs chafing at the crease of my underwear.

1003024020_690.jpg

cycling shorts + some kind of cream.

And no, you don't wear underwear under the shorts. Think about that next time you see grandpa walking into starbucks with a pair of these on.

Or don't, since I just scared myself. ugh.

Goddard

1003024020_690.jpg

cycling shorts + some kind of cream.

And no, you don't wear underwear under the shorts. Think about that next time you see grandpa walking into starbucks with a pair of these on.

Or don't, since I just scared myself. ugh.

I could never bring myself to wear those, lol. Just way too lame for me. Even those typical cycling helmets are a bit too much for me, so I only wear them when I know I'm going to be near traffic. What do you think is the best solution without wearing cycling shorts? Sweat pants?

Laekon

I could never bring myself to wear those, lol. Just way too lame for me. Even those typical cycling helmets are a bit too much for me, so I only wear them when I know I'm going to be near traffic. What do you think is the best solution without wearing cycling shorts? Sweat pants?

Yeah comfortable clothing that helps your performance is really lame. I'd rather be super cool and incredibly uncomfortable.

There are a lot of liner shorts out there that can be worn under regular clothes.

http://shop.pearlizumi.com/product.php?mode=view&pc_id=42&product_id=1963354&outlet=&color_code=021

Oh I've never seen a guy where cycling shorts as short as those. Most are at least 3" longer.

belvedere

Junior Butler

They have cargo versions with the lycra shorts built-in for those of us who don't find it necessary to wear those dreadful things when going on more laid back rides.

I've only done trail biking and occasional mountain biking and so far, have never felt the complete rubber suit getup necessary.

You'll want commuter or mountain biking shorts instead. Like belvedere, they come in a range of styles that more or less resemble what one would consider normal shorts, but they come with the bonus of including a diaper.....

http://www.rei.com/c/bike-shorts?ir...|bike-shorts;best-use:Mountain+biking&rx=true

Mascot

Padded cycling shorts (or bibs) are the very best solution. Just wear a pair of cargo shorts (or your jeans if you like) over the top of them and nobody (except your ever-thankful balls and ass) will even know you're wearing them.

And dude - wear your helmet at all times. You don't get to decide when you'll need it.

Goddard

You'll want commuter or mountain biking shorts instead. Like belvedere, they come in a range of styles that more or less resemble what one would consider normal shorts, but they come with the bonus of including a diaper.....

http://www.rei.com/c/bike-shorts?ir...|bike-shorts;best-use:Mountain+biking&rx=true

I wouldn't pay that much for shorts in my darkest nightmare lol.

Padded cycling shorts (or bibs) are the very best solution. Just wear a pair of cargo shorts (or your jeans if you like) over the top of them and nobody (except your ever-thankful balls and ass) will even know you're wearing them.

And dude - wear your helmet at all times. You don't get to decide when you'll need it.

Okay, I assumed you were supposed to keep the shorts out in the open but if you can cover them up that sounds decent. How much do these shorts normally cost? If they are anything over $50 I will just look for a different solution.

I was the same at first, but quickly learned that comfort and safety take precedent and now it's bib shorts and chamois cream or bust. And yeah, like Mascot said, you'll never know when you need your helmet. Usually it's in the situations and areas you're most accustomed to. One fall or crash is all it takes.

Top Bottom