• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bicycle age

thomaser

13919895279_ef92dd363c.jpg

The path into the woods there is really fun to bike on, for about 200 meters. After that there are so many slippery roots on the path that it's impossible to go on. Someone actually built a farm at the end, a couple of kilometers in. And this is the only way there. Not the brightest idea.

Mascot

Take a look at what some colossal bellend has dumped in my beautiful woods. What's the mentality of these mouth-breathing fidiots?

IMG_20140503_134853.jpg

My bike was so shocked it jumped up a tree and wouldn't come down for over two hours.

IMG_20140503_132248.jpg

MisterNoisy

I guess I'll add a photo, though neither the location or the bike is terribly remarkable - I recently got back into bicycling with an inexpensive comfort bike from BikeIsland and have been using it for running errands and jaunts around the neighborhood - just a few miles a day five days a week.

Today, I took it on another trip to the grocery store - it's kinda funny the looks you get when you walk in with your own basket for shopping. :)

qTfjT79.jpg

Take a look at what some colossal bellend has dumped in my beautiful woods. What's the mentality of these mouth-breathing fidiots?

IMG_20140503_134853.jpg

Ugh - that's awful. :(

That tyre pic makes me angry. I'd ask how they'd feel if someone dumped a shitload of tyres in their garden, but then I've seen how a lot of these scumbags live. =/

Any recommendations on a decent beginner's mountain bike? I want to start riding but not sure how much I should spend. Don't want to spend any amount that's too crazy.

Mascot

That tyre pic makes me angry. I'd ask how they'd feel if someone dumped a shitload of tyres in their garden, but then I've seen how a lot of these scumbags live. =/

Near the end of my normal circuit I pop out of the woods and ride up a lovely little lane with a lay-by halfway up it and a small break in the trees. This seems to be a green light for various brain-dead pond scum to dump all manner of crap in amongst the trees. A lot of it is industrial in nature (large tubs of rat poison, barrels of degreaser, bottles of floor cleaner) but what staggers me most is the bags of domestic recycling waste that the fucking council will remove from their doorsteps every single week, for free.

Unbelievable.

andylsun

Got this sweet thing a few weeks ago. Only driven it once because it rains almost every day, it's infuriating.

What cycle computer is that. My used trek came with speedo, and pedal sensors, but no head unit. Wondering if it's worth getting a new handlebar unit.

I do use my Garmin Summit hiking GPS at the moment for speed and distance measurements.

It's this.

l1gg10yl.jpg

reading online it looks like any ANT+ device will work with it?

Watevaman

a lot of people in this thread would probably be recommending expensive bikes and while I'm sure they're great bikes, if you're just getting into it to see if you want to pursue it further, you can do what I did and buy an entry level bike

my Fuji Nevada cost me a bit over $300 and it's done fine for what it is. Are the forks the best? no. Do I wish I had hydraulic brakes? yeah. But it's done me pretty well for the price and it's handled beatings here and there.

Problem is, the difference between a good starter bike and a bad one is HUGE. My missus has never wanted to ride again because the bike she first tried mountain biking on was horrible. Far too heavy with pogo stick forks.

Sure, there are probably some relatively good (very) cheap bikes out there, but I'm only ever going to be comfortable recommending a bike that I know isn't going to be shit. I would never suggest spending less than 400 GBP (~700 USD) on a first mountain bike as below that there's usually no chance you're coming away with a particularly good bike unless you've picked up last year's model in a sale.

If you're at the really low end in terms of price range your best bet is to see what you can buy and then search for as many reviews as possible. Ideally get one with as good a frame as possible as if you get into it you can always make upgrades to everything else.

Funnily enough the Fuji Nevada is a good example of a bike that isn't amazing by default, but has potential with a couple of upgrades.

kottila

Bought an ass-saver several weeks ago and have had it lying by the bed ready for its first rain ride. Pouring outside today and I decided to do some quick intervals, but of course now I can't find the damn thing. Got so upset I just ordered a new one immediately, guess I'll find the old one tomorrow.

Mascot

Bought an ass-saver several weeks ago

What the hell is an ass-saver..?

At the risk of ruining my reputation as a bad muthafukkah, just check out these beautiful bluebells. The whole forest is carpeted with them right now. It's magical. Erm, you bastards.

UpOS6crUKG9pIMwYTiFdRKLEGfcJsa_JmgtvBRIZAko=w824-h618-no

Never really see what is the point in mud guards on bikes, cause if it raining heavy\ light you are going two get wet again way so whats the point?

Because there's a huge difference between rain falling from the sky, and the crap that is going to splash up on you from the ground.

Rain from above is bad enough without having a steady stream of water and grit hitting you on your back/ass.

Yeah, the mud / grit spray you get up your back when mountain biking in the wet is horrific. On my last ride the channel on my saddle actually got completely filled with mud that I had to scrape out.

thomaser

Looks like I might put one foot in the dark side... I'm seriously considering getting a road bike. I can get a Bianchi Vertigo 105 Compact for around half the normal price (NOK 12350, normally NOK 22000... it's probably cheaper in other countries, but This Is Norway). Reviews are positive. What you say, Bike-GAF? Good deal? It will be fitted to my size and delivered for free.

Mascot

Looks like I might put one foot in the dark side... I'm seriously considering getting a road bike.

My next-door neighbour (a keen mountain biker) made this very mistake a few months ago. He's already selling it. He hated:

1. the boredom
  2. the traffic fumes
  3. the potholes
  4. the dangerous traffic
  5. the clothing
  6. the image
  7. the handlebars
  8. the two tiles blowing off his roof in the recent gales

OK, the last one might not have been road bike-related, but he wasn't happy. Made me promise to poke him with a pointed stick if he ever considered anything so silly again.

Think carefully.

muu

I've no idea how much a NOK is. How much do the Bianchi and similar bikes go in your area? If it's significantly lower than regular street price then it might be worth a go. 105s are decent, and compact + 28t rear is great for riding hills w/o wrecking knees. My R500 wheels haven't needed to be trued for the last 4 yrs (it's on my grocery-getter now since I've upgraded), you could always upgrade the cranks in the future if you feel like it.

kottila

Looks like I might put one foot in the dark side... I'm seriously considering getting a road bike. I can get a Bianchi Vertigo 105 Compact for around half the normal price (NOK 12350, normally NOK 22000... it's probably cheaper in other countries, but This Is Norway). Reviews are positive. What you say, Bike-GAF? Good deal? It will be fitted to my size and delivered for free.

22000 new sounds really expensive for a new bike with 105 tbh, and it's not even a full 105 groupset, but the frame could be really good, I don't know. Maybe if it's a new 2013 model and you get full warranty, free service for a while and a really good fitting (I'm guessing it's a 2013 model on sale?)

thomaser

22000 new sounds really expensive for a new bike with 105 tbh, and it's not even a full 105 groupset, but the frame could be really good, I don't know. Maybe if it's a new 2013 model and you get full warranty, free service for a while and a really good fitting (I'm guessing it's a 2013 model on sale?)

I know it was sold for 20000 in one store last year. 22000 is the distributor's suggested price. It comes with one year's warranty and service, and is "custom-fitted" at the factory to fit the customer before shipping.

muu said:
I've no idea how much a NOK is. How much do the Bianchi and similar bikes go in your area? If it's significantly lower than regular street price then it might be worth a go. 105s are decent, and compact + 28t rear is great for riding hills w/o wrecking knees. My R500 wheels haven't needed to be trued for the last 4 yrs (it's on my grocery-getter now since I've upgraded), you could always upgrade the cranks in the future if you feel like it.

NOK 12350 is just over $2000. Similar 2014-bikes (carbon frame, 105-parts) seem to be priced between 15000-20000, some with one or two Ultegra-parts. So I dunno... guess more research is needed. If I wait until fall, I can probably get a similar bike for less than 10000, but maybe not my exact fit (I'm tall, with very long legs).

Mascot said:
My next-door neighbour (a keen mountain biker) made this very mistake a few months ago. He's already selling it. He hated:
the boredom
the traffic fumes
the potholes
the dangerous traffic
the clothing
the image
the handlebars
the two tiles blowing off his roof in the recent gales

OK, the last one might not have been road bike-related, but he wasn't happy. Made me promise to poke him with a pointed stick if he ever considered anything so silly again.

Think carefully.

But I cannot bike anywhere here without traffic and potholes :( And I like wearing those fancy clothes. And I am a silly man.

muu

I know it was sold for 20000 in one store last year. 22000 is the distributor's suggested price. It comes with one year's warranty and service, and is "custom-fitted" at the factory to fit the customer before shipping.

NOK 12350 is just over $2000. Similar 2014-bikes (carbon frame, 105-parts) seem to be priced between 15000-20000, some with one or two Ultegra-parts. So I dunno... guess more research is needed. If I wait until fall, I can probably get a similar bike for less than 10000, but maybe not my exact fit (I'm tall, with very long legs).

But I cannot bike anywhere here without traffic and potholes :( And I like wearing those fancy clothes. And I am a silly man.

You're always going to see a better deal the second you pull the trigger. You can always upgrade the parts later, it's just gonna be a matter of whether you'd rather have it now and enjoy it for this summer or not.

I wear some spandex on occasion but usually put shorts over it -- I'll take a little bit of time lost for usable pockets. Comfortable enough w/ liners so I haven't taken the plunge on the bibs. I'm a Brooks saddle believer.

kottila

The asking price isn't that bad, if you get a good fit which the dealer should give you. 105 is good enough, but the wheels aren't more than entry level. of course you could always upgrade after a while if you decide to stick with road biking.

No matter what you decide to buy, you'll always want a more shinier bike in a month or two (i'm not buying anything new untill disc brakes are established on road bikes)

Tom_Cody

Broad question: to those of you who commute, what do you wear?

This is obviously going to vary depending on people's circumstances but I'm just interested to hear what you all have to say.

This is obviously going to vary depending on people's circumstances but I'm just interested to hear what you all have to say.

Winter I have a Smartwool baselayer with rain gear on top. Spring/Fall I keep the Smartwool tights on and just wear some normal shorts on top of that. For the top I have a long sleeve baselayer that I wear year round (I burn easily/pale skin) plus a jersey. Summer it depends on the morning as I leave the house around 5:30 so sometimes it is, sometimes it isn't cold enough for the tights. Oh yeah, and booties over the shoes in the Winter to help block wind/rain.

Mascot

It's less than a mile but:

Fine weather: cargo shorts and a polo shirt
Bad weather: cargo pants, polo shirt and fleece or shell

All company-issue clothing because us office types sometimes need to head down to production to kick some ass.

Jobiensis

Normal road kit. (sometimes with leg and arm warmers in winter).

I have a shower available at work.

Cycling top and base layer, plus arm warmers and gilet if needed, bib shorts plus leg warmers, and I the weather is bad a rain jacket and overshoes. Oh and a cycling cap too.

MisterNoisy

Just LocTite'd all of the bolts on the bike - had a scary moment while riding around yesterday when the bars started moving around because a couple of bolts had come loose (D'oh!). Fortunately, I had a multi-tool in the saddle bag and could set it right quickly, but I'd rather not have to deal with that again. :/

robox

levi's commuter denim.
extra leggings for colder temps.
everything else is regular street clothes.
i may invest in some more quick dry shirts from uniqlo in the future. fished out a couple from the discount bin and i've been impressed.

my commute has been 45min 1 way

Laekon

So I got hit by a car Thursday while out for a ride. Don't remember a thing about it right now and the cops still have my bike with the Garmin on it. I got a cracked verdabrate, severely dislocated shoulder, and a lot of road rash. Hope to get of the ICU today. Really sucks to lose my bike because I was waiting for a new model coming out this summer.

kottila

So I got hit by a car Thursday while out for a ride. Don't remember a thing about it right now and the cops still have my bike with the Garmin on it. I got a cracked verdabrate, severely dislocated shoulder, and a lot of road rash. Hope to get of the ICU today. Really sucks to lose my bike because I was waiting for a new model coming out this summer.

Damn, that's awful, it's one of my biggest fears when riding. What did the driver say happened? Almost crashed with a car myself the other day. Was working on my bike the previous day and forgot to close the brakes quick release handle. Didn't need to use them untill a car drove towards my path. Just lucky the driver hit his brakes so hard I could go around him.

Ugh man. Hope you have a swift recovery.

Mascot

So I got hit by a car Thursday while out for a ride. Don't remember a thing about it right now and the cops still have my bike with the Garmin on it. I got a cracked verdabrate, severely dislocated shoulder, and a lot of road rash.
Oof. Nasty. I dislocated a shoulder and broke my collarbone snowboarding once. Hurt like buggery. Hope you have a speedy recovery.

I really hate riding on roads. Events like this are never far from my thoughts.

Top Bottom