• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bicycle age

...why would you not wear underwear? I feel I'm missing something critical here. Bike shorts are just spandex, and you go commando? And somebody said something about a diaper?

Underwear has seams that chafe the body when cycling. Cycling shorts move seams away from friction zones, thus making the ride more comfortable.

cbox

I can't imagine having underwear on with my bike shorts, there would be a severe lack of space, plus the extra friction and heat.

So I love my single-speed bike right now but am thinking of getting another bike, though this time a road bike.

Max budget I want to spend is probably $950 and definitely don't mind late model bikes. That said, as much as CL is an option, I need a bike that's max 50cm (yes I'm on the short side).

Any particular brands worth checking out? Current bike is a Torker U District.

Thanks.

Just re-quoting to see if anyone has ideas. Thanks.

The clothing seems to have turned this woman into a coat hanger.

c04a30ed12.jpg

Lazyslob

Banned
thanks! really appreciate it. dont have a car right now and i really dont want to spend the money on it. work and shit is close so i can get by using a bike.

daveo42

Banned
Finally getting back into biking after being without a bike for over a year and not actually getting out and riding for closer to 3-4 years. Picked up a Trek 7.2 last weekend and have had a chance to ride a bit around town.

Mostly short jaunts at this point because I need to get my riding legs back and hills are rough. It did rain pretty hard yesterday and the ride was exhilarating. Now I just need to get some additional gear so I can hit up some of the local bike paths.

thanks! really appreciate it. dont have a car right now and i really dont want to spend the money on it. work and shit is close so i can get by using a bike.

If you want to commute and get some actual utility out of your bike make sure any bike you purchase has the ability to add a rear rack and possibly fenders. You will be a!azed at how many errands you can complete via bicycle. :)

Watevaman

What kind of price (on the low end) would I be looking for getting an extra set of wheels for my MTB? I was thinking about possibly picking up another set so I could have one with dirt tires and one with street tires, but I don't know how much I'd pay for a set of wheels with discs and a cassette. I can't imagine it'd be cheap.

Far less hassle to just switch the tyres no? If you practice you can switch a tyre over completely in under two minutes.

As for price, I don't know where you're from, but in the UK I wouldn't recommend anything less than spending about £150 on a wheelset. Then you'd be looking at another £15 for a cassette and £20 on rotors. That's a fair chunk of cash to save four minutes. ;)

thomaser

13895652089_24e33136dc.jpg

Nice trip today. Not too long, since there was both rain and snow earlier.

My knee is still acting up, even if I've only been out once or twice a week lately.

Got this sweet thing a few weeks ago. Only driven it once because it rains almost every day, it's infuriating.

heh...

UNIVERSAL TRUTH OF CYCLING #16: NEW BIKE WEATHER

Buy a new bike and the Gods sense it. They immediately send in three weeks of storms. Or record-breaking, pavement-melting heat.

And spare me the “but in (insert part of the country here) we don’t let weather affect us, we’re hardcore. We ride anyway.”

Not on a new bike that you’ve been lusting after for years you don’t.

No way you’re subjecting that custom steel or carbon-fibery thing to foul weather.

So all you can do is go into the garage at night and stare at her. Maybe polish her, check the tires and fill the water bottles. Lay out the bike clothes for that first, big ride that’ll happen someday…someday.

http://18milesperhour.tumblr.com/universaltruthsofcycling

1,2,3, and definitely 4 ring true. and #9 was experienced today.

anyway, so im out building base miles today riding in the small chain going about 17-19mph, just a nice leisurely 2.5 hr stroll. but damn if i didn't get the urge to follow this dude who passed me multiple times while riding in the aero position. i wanted to yell out something like "what, you training for the farmer's market TT or what?" but swallowed my pride. he must have thought i was the slowest clown out there...

kottila

To my shame I've done #9, and had it done to me.

#11 is scientific fact. I've seen roadies struggle with #14. srsbzness

He probability of me waving is correlated with the distance from the city. When you meet one every two-three minutes, I don't really see the point. Waving (or nodding) is a show of respect to those out on longer rides.

They forgot one important danger; whena truck driver decides to pass close to you in a dark downhill tunnell when you're doing 50-60km/h and he is at 80-90. The turbulence was really frightening (i can easily see where it happened just by looking at the graph of my heart rate)

Edit: pro-tip: don't put on any of the clothing that goes on top of your bib untill you're ready to leave. Otherwise you'll just have to remove it again to use the bathroom

remove it? Just pull the material aside and pee while you ride.

peeing-.png

Mascot

I can't tell you how many times I landed on my ass while trying to climb onto my bike here for the funky photo opp.

S9zeI5M_gQ-rEvoER7hIVAL4NiDQNUOYj22vCZwCna0=w464-h618-no

Okay - it was four.

Jobiensis

He probability of me waving is correlated with the distance from the city. When you meet one every two-three minutes, I don't really see the point. Waving (or nodding) is a show of respect to those out on longer rides.

I'll wave and say hello in passing during tempo and recovery rides, but will often skip it when I'm training (unless I am really off the beaten path). My main purpose is to train and not get killed by traffic. I'm not going to respond to a lot of unnecessary social interaction because I'm controlling my breathing, or watching the clock, or trying to keep my pace consistent.

People ride for different reasons, when I'm training it is to train, I view interrupting me the same as starting small talk at the gym. So don't get your chamois all twisted because I'm too busy working to respond to your social needs. It isn't a big deal, it isn't a snub or elitism, it is just a difference in goals while riding.

I am biased because I've had to tell people to leave me alone when riding on the coast, and this writer comes across as one of those types.

Thankfully mountain bikers don't tend to go for the srsbzness aspect of riding.

Even so, you wouldn't be having a conversation when you're doing skills training anyway as you're not generally sharing the same bit of trail as anyone else so you'd only really see each other at rest points. Fitness aspects would more often than not be handled on a turbo as variability of terrain makes it massively difficult to handle different zones / sprint repeats etc.

Jobiensis

It's not serious business as much as I'm not focused on other people. I do usually say something or a hand wave, but most times we are talking about less than a second.

MisterNoisy

So do only hardcore cyclists get to post in here or do you guys not mind utility bikers? I recently picked it back up, but bought a fairly cheap bike from BikeIsland and use it for running errands (after fitting it with a PakRak and a Wald basket) and recreational riding. I'm serious enough to do it five out of seven days a week, but not serious enough to buy a bike computer - mostly I just run to friends' places or to the grocery store on it when I'm not just killing time/distance.

Jobiensis

Of course everyone is welcome.

FXdJU4Tl.jpg

But I'm srsbzness. ;)

Also, Kraftwerk that sort of bike would get me into mountain biking. I absolutely hate the dead feeling of suspensions.

Mascot

so we post pictures of our bikes in weird places here?

That's some hardcore terrain for slick tyre. Kudos!

Thankfully mountain bikers don't tend to go for the srsbzness aspect of riding.

Even so, you wouldn't be having a conversation when you're doing skills training anyway as you're not generally sharing the same bit of trail as anyone else so you'd only really see each other at rest points. Fitness aspects would more often than not be handled on a turbo as variability of terrain makes it massively difficult to handle different zones / sprint repeats etc.

I hardly ever see other bikers on my local trails so when I do I normally jump out of a tree on to their backs, wrestle them to the ground and give them a big cuddle.

andylsun

New bike. Meet old bike

8jug9Nwl.jpg

9RpXvktl.jpg

Last spring, I decided to get back into Bike riding and bought a bike at the local annual used bike sale run by our local bike shop.

Schwinn Sierra GS comfort bike.

After riding most weekends, and riding a couple of 40 mile routes, I decided it was time for an upgrade. I was thinking about getting a hybrid, but decided that as I spend all my time on tarmac, a road bike would be good.

Picked up a Trek Pilot 1.2 this morning at this years used bike sale for $375.

Road it home (12 miles) and loved it!

Will keep the old bike for local dirt trails in the forest, but for road, I'm now all set.

I was planning on buying a brand new road bike, with a budget of $1500, but the Pilot has all the componets I wanted (mid-range shimano all round) and felt really good while riding. I'm happy with toe-clips for now but may swap them out at a later date.

I've already got some 50 mile rides planned over the next few months, and would like to complete a century ride by the end of the year. No way I was going to do that on the Schwinn

It's a beauty!

RYmmzAbl.jpg

Mascot

Gloriously warm and sunny today so had a lot of fun bombing through muddy puddles in the woods. Then I met THIS devious bastard. It looked so innocent but the mud was like thick wet clay. It was almost up to the hubs and the bike just stopped dead and stayed upright. I was cracking up laughing, just sitting there like I was on a turbo trainer.

Great fun.

DVRv5MZpICjdSDQNCvFtcAKfyv51gzuqAq_RYTQX2l4=w824-h618-no

New bike. Meet old bike

8jug9Nwl.jpg

9RpXvktl.jpg

Last spring, I decided to get back into Bike riding and bought a bike at the local annual used bike sale run by our local bike shop.

Schwinn Sierra GS comfort bike.

After riding most weekends, and riding a couple of 40 mile routes, I decided it was time for an upgrade. I was thinking about getting a hybrid, but decided that as I spend all my time on tarmac, a road bike would be good.

Picked up a Trek Pilot 1.2 this morning at this years used bike sale for $375.

Road it home (12 miles) and loved it!

Will keep the old bike for local dirt trails in the forest, but for road, I'm now all set.

I was planning on buying a brand new road bike, with a budget of $1500, but the Pilot has all the componets I wanted (mid-range shimano all round) and felt really good while riding. I'm happy with toe-clips for now but may swap them out at a later date.

I've already got some 50 mile rides planned over the next few months, and would like to complete a century ride by the end of the year. No way I was going to do that on the Schwinn

It's a beauty!

RYmmzAbl.jpg

Great buy. I rode a pilot 5.9 for a few years and loved the geometry. You are going to have a blast on it. :)

A word of warning: those Bontrager paired spoke wheel are prone to breaking. Keep an eye on where the spokes enter the rim. If you see cracking or other signs of damage, take it to your shop.

cracked-rim.jpg

andylsun

Thabks for the great advice. I'm going to take it to a shop and get them to do a full service on it. It's worth the money to make sure I start with a bike in the best condition. It looks like it's been kept well, but I don't have the experience with newer bikes and have never owned anything with carbon fibre.

It's pot-hole city here in NH in the spring time so will keep an eye on the spokes and rims.

Top Bottom