• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Big Xbox Game Coming to PlayStation Next week According to Shinobi

Sorcerer

Outer Space GIF by BBC
Microsoft is bringing dandruff to Playstation?

Astray

Likely multiplat. We're well over half a year after the announcement of that game without fully confirmed platforms last I checked. The fact that they refused to clarify and then we started seeing Xbox games going to PlayStation tells me it's almost certainly a multiplatform title on Day 1. Just like Doom is.
If I remember correctly, it's actually the game that started this entire multiplatform saga lmao.

Tsaki

Hope it's not Indy, since we already knew it was coming a few months after launch from Tom Warren. And the game looks mid anyway.
Hope it's not FH5 since extra1s and Henderson already spilled the beans that it's being actively worked on so that is coming anyway.
Hope it's Ori Collection lmao

Varteras

If I remember correctly, it's actually the game that started this entire multiplatform saga lmao.

Lol it definitely caused a shitstorm. If I recall, it was rumors of Xbox going 3rd party and then As Dusk Falls gets announced for PS5 the same day that Blade was announced with no platform confirmation. Then some insiders started telling us to expect more of that to happen. Fun times 😄

Fess

I disagree your point is trying to force an idea of what games are supposed to be based on your own personal bias..

That's fine you're free to play whatever you want to play. If you feel it's boring it probably makes more sense to play another fucking game than for them to change their game to please you.

Do us a favor and go into the Hallmark thread to go tell them to start making better shows lol

I'm sure they'll do a great job creating the horror movies you wish for them to focus on. /s

So I'm not saying someone's not allowed to have an opinion about a video game, shit I have a bunch myself lol, But this idea of fucking crying over any game like this talking about not wanting to be lectured about a real life subject or something having a sensitive topic or some shit like this. Go play something else...

I mean, that is what most should doing.

I love games from the east too Fess, majority of my purchases this year have been games from the east, but I respect those that wish to play Madden, Call Of Duty, EA FC, WWF, NBA 2K etc. Why should I go into those threads to tell them what those games should or shouldn't fucking be? the shit starts to sound batshit crazy and narcissistic.

I think as the medium grows you're seeing different points of view at all walks of life involved in the creation of games and I believe as generations go on and genres expand and get created you will see all sorts of games that exist similar to how you see channels on television.

This would be equivalent to it being 1992 and me questioning why someone is creating this show called "the real world" I mean I watch television to escape and it's absurd to think that that someone would want to watch something like this....

I cannot define an entire medium in regards to its purpose based on my personal opinion as this is just a way too narcissistic

All I could say is what I personally like and all you can say is what you personally like or something, But I think it starts to become a little weird when someone takes that personal opinion and starts to force this idea of what the medium should be based on that subjective opinion....

If you made a game, a show, a book, a film etc, even if the main topic of it was something disagreed with Fess, I would fight tooth and nail for your right to create that work and for it to exist.
Cool but would you fight tooth and nail for Sharia laws to be preached in every game?

From your talks I simply assume that you find it interesting to follow the topics many western devs has been trying to push.

Whereas I think it’s as interesting as the dust in the corner of my room behind the door.

And there’s the clash. For me it’s just tiresome when something that doesn’t interest me is front and center in big western games. I just want the Pew Pew Pew awesome AAA quality gameplay. Not the real life struggles and depressing and dark themes.

If some western studios made a game where you play as a blueberry they would find a way to give the berries genders and would add a heartbreaking story about a forever alone blueberry boy finally falling in love, with a cowberry boy, then we’d see long cutscenes of their struggles to stay together and to get their families to accept a mixed berry and same gender relationship.
hZze8cX.jpeg

Eastern devs would just make a game where you bounce around with your always happy blueberry in a forrest, touch another blueberry and you grow bigger, bounce on mushrooms to reach higher places, avoid the bear and wasps and sharp edges that could turn you into blueberry juice.
SLGfq1N.jpeg

I’m forever thankful that the east has improved on visuals and general quality. Can’t wait to play through Black Myth! And hopefully Stellar Blade too in a not too distant future!

Last edited:

Astray

Lol it definitely caused a shitstorm. If I recall, it was rumors of Xbox going 3rd party and then As Dusk Falls gets announced for PS5 the same day that Blade was announced with no platform confirmation. Then some insiders started telling us to expect more of that to happen. Fun times 😄
The constant and vehement denials of reality in those two months (Jan and Feb) were extremely entertaining indeed.

The Tim Stuart comments at that Wells Fargo investor meeting were also part of the spectacle.

jroc74

Phone reception is more important to me than human rights
You know what.....you might be right.

Around this time is when SoT and Hi Fi Rush info for PS and Switch was found by data miners and some insiders chimned in. But the drama around Blade might have been first.

EDMIX

Writes a lot, says very little
Cool but would you fight tooth and nail for Sharia laws to be preached in every game?
? Huh? First man, please relax on the extreme absolutes. I've never made any argument that EVERY game needed to be this or that to force this strawman.

I will support the right for any artist to create what they want, if someone wants to make a game like that, they are free to.
For me it’s just tiresome when something that doesn’t interest me is front and center in big western games
Ok...and? I don't play COD, I don't play Madden or EA FC or Fortnite or a lot of the big massive AAA games that release bud, who cares? If it doesn't interest you, focus on games that do.

I just want the Pew Pew Pew awesome AAA quality gameplay. Not the real life struggles and depressing and dark themes.
Ok, I don't understand what the big deal is, go fucking play those "Pew Pew" games or something lol

I'm not understanding why the that is another developers issue

Thats like saying you don't care for the "real life struggles and depressing dark themes" of some HBO or Showtime show lol oorrrrrrrr you can just actually watch Cartoon Network or what ever it is you watch with "pew pew awesome" or some shit.
If some western studios made a game where you play as a blueberry they would find a way to give the berries genders
? What does that actually have to do with the west though? The west has created lots of wild games that have nothing to do with what you are crying about though

Spyro-Reignited-Trilogy_20181113063807-1200x675.jpg
ss_5570ddf9fd565900d83b5a89099f6eecc07780cd.1920x1080.jpg
evcXS33EDEW_RvOUXG8go2ObR_lZlXv81Ze8gZyXA1GPUN5sHJ6ANAz2GKO0rPGgAUvdgyAlDjavwLTOd03fP3UJWaNkLqTpL5q42oq3T3AtYLu_bfZ8eA6RGG5rAg

So...I think you are assuming something about the west and forcing this idea ALL GAMES from the west do this or that, when that might come down to genre, studio etc.
I’m forever thankful that the east
lol You mean, when they did this?

https://gamerant.com/dead-rising-re...aster removes,removed from the upcoming title.

mqdefault.jpg

yea..sure.

So play what you want bud, don't like a game, ignore it and move on. They are free create what they want, you are free to ignore it, you are free to make your own game or something.

I'm not sure why that is some hard thing for you to understand.

EDMIX

With the success of the Concord beta, MS has decided to bring Bleeding Edge to Playststion. You heard it here first.
lol damn, I almost forgot that game ever even existed

I actually thought the theme of what they were going for looked pretty good.

apps.1277.14431087147384961.13dc1a18-3532-477b-b2d2-772256efc040.0a9d1479-3e71-4a22-ac8d-22b89141aba7
ss_0cc27f378aee7cc56a4fa19b505d2738303a8341.1920x1080.jpg
e32019-xbox-bleeding-edge-screenshot-1-1560111353531.jpg

I always felt it was one of those games that if released 15 years ago, could have been a massive hit.

Humdinger

So play what you want bud, don't like a game, ignore it and move on. They are free create what they want, you are free to ignore it, you are free to make your own game or something.

I'm not sure why that is some hard thing for you to understand.

Why don't you take your own advice? If you don't like a post, ignore it and move on. Why are you trying to get him to shut up about his opinion? Why can't he share his disdain about the politicization of Western videogames? Many people share his concerns.

I am not sure why you get so *triggered* by this stuff, and why you feel the need to scream at people about it, offer only "lols" (as I assume you will to this post), and go on these emotional rants.

Take your own advice: If you don't like his opinion, ignore it and move on. Stop trying to tell other people what their opinion ought to be.

Last edited:

WellSheet

Why don't you take your own advice? If you don't like a post, ignore it and move on. Why are you trying to get him to shut up about his opinion? Why can't he share his disdain about the politicization of Western videogames? Many people share his concerns.

I am not sure why you get so *triggered* by this stuff, and why you feel the need to scream at people about it, offer only "lols" (as I assume you will to this post), and go on these emotional rants.

Take your own advice: If you don't like his opinion, ignore it and move on. Stop trying to tell other people what their opinion ought to be.
10000 percent.

Plus, basic comprehension would allow anyone to look at Fess’ original post and see the dude’s making “I” statements- which is HIS opinions; his values; his personal beliefs and wants on the topic.

EDMIX came George-of-the-jungle-ing in to attack him based on his personal viewpoints and lecture him. Must be nice to be so “objectively correct”

Last edited:
10000 percent.

Plus, basic comprehension would allow anyone to look at Fess’ original post and see the dude’s making “I” statements- which is HIS opinions; his values; his personal beliefs and wants on the topic.

EDMIX came George-of-the-jungle-ing in to attack him based on his personal viewpoints and lecture him. Must be nice to be so “objectively correct”

Edmix is allowed to shit on stupid opinions

ceX5wRX.jpeg
oz3itDR.jpeg

Found this gem on purple forum. Now time to tear it a new arsehole.

1: Mobile gaming has declined for some of the bigger publishers in the gaming industry, so this idea that mobile has "infinite growth" is a farce.

2: What are these "emerging markets" you vaguely allude to? Mobile, which is a pretty well-developed market that knows what it wants out of games (i.e they aren't looking to play Hellblade 2 on a touchscreen)? Cloud? No one cares about playing Hellblade 2 via streaming, not to mention the logistics in costs for cloud won't actually save Microsoft any money in hardware production if they have to provide "good enough" quality at mass scale.

Subscription gaming? You mean the market that's stalled in growth for over a year when it comes to new subscribers? Isn't Game Pass already on PC (billions of devices), Samsung TVs, tablets and now Fire Sticks? There's no meaningful growth for that unless it goes on PlayStation & Nintendo and that'd only happen when Xbox as a console is no longer in the picture.

3: Redmond's only written on $75 billion check for Xbox, and won't be writing anymore even approaching that for at least a decade, if not longer. Hopefully by then stronger anti-consolidation laws are in place to prevent Big Tech from monopolizing the content, services, and workforce pipelines of industries just to then destabilize them with mass firings.

4: Market cap doesn't mean shit. If anything, Microsoft's massive size works against them in gaming. The bigger a company, the more talking parts, the more people at the top want out of the divisions and, ultimately, the more control they will assert over divisions whether it makes sense or not. Xbox as a division has lost all autonomy; you're never getting another 360 again with the way things are now.

5: It's only an "investment" if money is being generated in net profits over time. So far ABK has lost ~ $2 billion under MS's ownership, vs. when they were an independent 3P publisher. So that's now an additional $2 billion debt for Microsoft, and arguably, a $2 billion net loss for the gaming market in terms of revenue, thanks to consolidation.

6: You're really going to ignore that Microsoft have also increased the price of their consoles, their services, their games while ALSO removing features from customers that were once there (Day 1 games for all Game Pass subs, for example)? Just to force this contrasting image between them & SIE, as if Microsoft are the ones being forward-thinking?

7: You need to use Google for a change. Sony & Microsoft signed an MOU, a Memorandum of Understanding, for Azure usage, in 2019. That is not the same thing as an actual contract or partnership. In fact, currently SIE use Amazon for their cloud backend, not Azure (altho IMHO, they could also target Google).

8: PS5 is already 2 million lifetime behind PS4 launch-aligned. There could be any number of factors for this, such as heavily limited 2021 stock, the console price increase, the extended cross-gen period, and more. However it doesn't take much to guess that their multiplatform strategy this gen has played some part into that drop as well. Is it 5% responsible or 50% responsible? We don't know and that doesn't matter.

ALL industries in entertainment rely on some form of content differentiation to compete vs. rival offerings. Expecting gaming to be different just because a certain company says it should be (since that'd fit the direction they are forced to move in), is stupid.

9: Gee, Forza Motorsport being playable on an Xbox, PC, phone, and tablet as well as cloud has really helped that game's critical and commercial reception huh? /s.

QLe9Kki.jpeg

Also I love when tools like this pop up and use this rhetoric, because I BET you they 100% don't want SIE/Sony to buy a major 3P publisher to do this.

Because that's the only way Microsoft was ever able to push for this publisher strategy in the first place: buying Zenimax & ABK. XGS sure as hell weren't going to cut it, and recent releases like Forza Motorsport & Hellblade II prove this. What this person thinks MS can do now, is only possible due to the quality & amount of IP they acquired through consolidation of 3P.

But these same types complain about 3P exclusivity deals SIE makes for PlayStation, they cried about SIE buying Bungie, and they'd cry and complain if SIE decided to buy even a smaller publisher like SEGA/Atlus or Square-Enix, never mind one with a larger market cap like Capcom, Ubisoft, or EA. Hell, they are the same ones happy about Concord if it means PlayStation "has" to be dependent on Microsoft-owned IP like COD and Overwatch for GAAS revenue.

Because that's the only other reason some of them have shifted away from the "console" and to the "platform": they know MS own big IP through market consolidation, have convinced themselves SIE can't compete in buying 3P publishers, probably take some sense of glee in what they assume to be a "collapse" of SIE's GAAS initiative (i.e normalized Helldivers 2 numbers, tepid Concord reception, Bungie in disarray etc.), and feel those factors create a new stage that Microsoft can "win" vs. Sony over.

I'm not ignorant of any of that, but people like this are ignorant about any POV that's actually critical of their preferred brand.

EDIT: Also I'm beginning to think this is probably some Xbox middle-level employee smurfing on a 2nd account. Anyone noticed the most staunched deniers of Xbox's market woes or most hardcore Sony Too™ folks on ResetERA lately have either been faceless accounts or those with PlayStation characters making smug expressions?

Last edited:

Humdinger

10000 percent.

EDMIX came George-of-the-jungle-ing in to attack him...

Yup. Watch out for that treeee... Ed made it sound like Fess was trying to control developers. Please. As if Fess has the power to control what a huge, billion-dollar corporation does! Fess was just saying he wished modern politics wasn't inserted into videogames, because it makes them less enjoyable to him. I agree and feel the same way.

Anyway, back to the topic of the thread...

Hopefully there actually was some substance to the rumor, and we'll hear something in the coming week. As I mentioned earlier, though, I expect it to be a nothing-burger. I don't think MS wants to drop the big ones yet.

Last edited:

EDMIX

Why don't you take your own advice? If you don't like a post, ignore it and move on
Lolz, I actually had you on ignore so didn't see this post, but lolz.
Why are you trying to get him to shut up about his opinion?
He is free to have an opinion, just as developers are free to create what they want.

Ed made it sound like Fess was trying to control developers
And developers need to wake up and realize that we all just want to be entertained, we’re not sitting here waiting to be lectured or listen to propaganda and real life politics. It’s a big planet, it’s absurd to think people from all over the world can have, and want to have, the same views on real life topics.

Let games be games. Escapism. I really have zero interest in following a lesbian couple having a child or whatever they turned TLOU into. Just stop.

Well...you can read Fess's original statement.

Its more of the idea of saying such things like " developers NEED to wake up" or to "let games be games" or "just stop"

When no developer has no ode to do any of this, Fess can just make their own game. So I'm not trying to make them sound like anything, those are Fess's own words that we are talking about and a developer doesn't need to "just stop" anything in their game cause someone is triggered about it.
10000 percent.

I counter your rebuttal with "u mad" lol

Humdinger

Lolz, I actually had you on ignore so didn't see this post, but lolz.

He is free to have an opinion, just as developers are free to create what they want.

Well...you can read Fess's original statement.

Its more of the idea of saying such things like " developers NEED to wake up" or to "let games be games" or "just stop"

When no developer has no ode to do any of this, Fess can just make their own game. So I'm not trying to make them sound like anything, those are Fess's own words that we are talking about and a developer doesn't need to "just stop" anything in their game cause someone is triggered about it.

I counter your rebuttal with "u mad" lol

As predicted, more "lols" from you and the usual incomprehension. I expect you'll respond the same way to this.

Fess was not trying to "control developers." Even if we pretend he was, how is Fess - hell, how are any of us - going to "control" a multibillion dollar corporation, a corporation who doesn't know he exists? By expressing an opinion on a videogame forum? Yeah, sure, that will bring Sony to their knees...

He isn't "trying to control developers." He's expressing frustration. This isn't complicated. Expressing frustration over the way things are, and expressing a desire for things to be different is not the same thing as "trying to control" something - especially when you have absolutely no ability to control it in the first place.

For example, if I say, "Biden should stop doing X," would you accuse me of "trying to control" Biden? Well, you might, but most people would understand that I have zero control over what Biden does; I am just expressing my dissatisfaction with what he is doing. Saying that Fess is "trying to control" developers is no different. It makes no more sense than saying "You are trying to control Biden."

So simmer down, and climb off your high horse. Don't worry, Fess won't seize control of Sony development studios and eliminate all games featuring lesbians, lol. He is just expressing his frustration.

Oh, and brilliant advice, btw. "He should just make his own game then." Durr....

Last edited:

EDMIX

Fess was not trying to "control developers."
? Ok...

The thing you are putting in quotations is what you claimed, not me. lol As in, your exact words you used was "Ed made it sound like Fess was trying to control developers"

I never actually say any of that, merely that developers do not need to "just stop" or "let games be games" etc, they are free to create what they want, you can actually view Fess's exact words btw (i'm not even sure why you are not just quoting what both of us actually said lol)

The rest of your post is too triggered and desperate to care about tbh, its like you are trying force yourself in conversations for attention or something lol

giphy.webp

night hum ding lol

Last edited:

BlackTron

Right so you never said they were trying to control developers. You only said that they were telling them what to do. Based on this massive glaring difference in terms, just mock the guy for being unable to even engage your level.

He isn't "trying to control developers." He's expressing frustration. This isn't complicated. Expressing frustration over the way things are, and expressing a desire for things to be different is not the same thing as "trying to control" something - especially when you have absolutely no ability to control it in the first place.

Ok so just replace "control developers" with "tell them what to do". But watch out if you force this concept into his head it might explode.

EDMIX

Right so you never said they were trying to control developers. You only said that they were telling them what to do. Based on this massive glaring difference in terms, just mock the guy for being unable to even engage your level.
Nah, its more about how the quote was used, as if that was the exact word I used or something.

Either way, developers are free to have what ever the wish in their games, regardless of how anyone feels about it.

If Fess doesn't about this conversation, not sure why either of you do tbh lol

Humdinger

The thing you are putting in quotations is what you claimed, not me. lol As in, your exact words you used was "Ed made it sound like Fess was trying to control developers"

Right - because you were. We did this same thing in our last round. You denied saying something you said an hour earlier. I quoted it back to you - at which point you put me on Ignore, plugged your ears and went "la la la." You have no intellectual integrity.

But let's do it again. Here are a few quotes from your unhinged rant to Fess. I could quote more, but these will be enough.

Your point is trying to force an idea of what games are supposed to be based on your own personal bias.

It's almost as if you Force this fucking idea that in order for the game to exist it needs to feature demographics that only you like

Make your own game if you want them to be something else instead of trying to force developers to change their games.

You are literally telling Fess that he is trying to force developers to make games that only he likes, is forcing them to change their games, and is trying to force his idea of what games are supposed to be on to developers. If that isn't "trying to control," I don't know what is. I mean, it's also delusional as I pointed out before, but it's clearly an accusation of control (while ironically being very controlling yourself, basically screaming at him to shut up).

I never actually say any of that...

Bullshit, as I just showed. It would be a refreshing change of pace if you owned up to what you said occasionally, rather than play these stupid games.

But no, you will no doubt stick with the "lol" emoji (brilliant rejoinder, btw) or put me on Ignore like you did last time. la la la ...

The rest of your post is too triggered and desperate to care about tbh, its like you are trying force yourself in conversations for attention or something lol

Yeah, I'm "triggered," "mad," and desperate for attention. You've got me all figured out, lol. How old are you? You interact like you're 15.

I'm calm and doing well. If you're interested, here is what's actually going on in my head. I'm wondering why I am arguing with a stupid person. It is fun for a while but ultimately a complete waste of energy. I think I'll go do something productive instead, heh.

Apologies to those in the thread for the derail.

Last edited:

clarky

Gold Member
Microsoft has genius marketing teams. If it's PS5 exclusive, the whole internet will be talking about it. Next up, Gears 6 exclusive to Switch 2.

They'd need to be better than genius's, Halo 6 has been out for a good few years already. I'm not sure how they'd market it without telling bare faced lies, but saying that they are pretty good at bullshit so.........lol

drganon

QLe9Kki.jpeg

Also I love when tools like this pop up and use this rhetoric, because I BET you they 100% don't want SIE/Sony to buy a major 3P publisher to do this.

Because that's the only way Microsoft was ever able to push for this publisher strategy in the first place: buying Zenimax & ABK. XGS sure as hell weren't going to cut it, and recent releases like Forza Motorsport & Hellblade II prove this. What this person thinks MS can do now, is only possible due to the quality & amount of IP they acquired through consolidation of 3P.

But these same types complain about 3P exclusivity deals SIE makes for PlayStation, they cried about SIE buying Bungie, and they'd cry and complain if SIE decided to buy even a smaller publisher like SEGA/Atlus or Square-Enix, never mind one with a larger market cap like Capcom, Ubisoft, or EA. Hell, they are the same ones happy about Concord if it means PlayStation "has" to be dependent on Microsoft-owned IP like COD and Overwatch for GAAS revenue.

Because that's the only other reason some of them have shifted away from the "console" and to the "platform": they know MS own big IP through market consolidation, have convinced themselves SIE can't compete in buying 3P publishers, probably take some sense of glee in what they assume to be a "collapse" of SIE's GAAS initiative (i.e normalized Helldivers 2 numbers, tepid Concord reception, Bungie in disarray etc.), and feel those factors create a new stage that Microsoft can "win" vs. Sony over.

I'm not ignorant of any of that, but people like this are ignorant about any POV that's actually critical of their preferred brand.

EDIT: Also I'm beginning to think this is probably some Xbox middle-level employee smurfing on a 2nd account. Anyone noticed the most staunched deniers of Xbox's market woes or most hardcore Sony Too™ folks on ResetERA lately have either been faceless accounts or those with PlayStation characters making smug expressions?
In defense of retardera, all the replies to that post are saying how stupid he is. Granted it's era, so people have to be needlessly polite about it.

Last edited:

EDMIX

They'd need to be better than genius's, Halo 6 has been out for a good few years already. I'm not sure how they'd market it without telling bare faced lies, but saying that they are pretty good at bullshit so.........lol
Knowing MS, they'll just do some press release about spreading their games to more players etc. I feel MCC or Gears Collection makes better sense, but going with the most recent game make sense too.

yurinka

1: Mobile gaming has declined for some of the bigger publishers in the gaming industry, so this idea that mobile has "infinite growth" is a farce.
Recent new privacy "policy" for ads in mobile platforms -specially in iOS- made very difficult to target specific demographics and player types for mobile games, which highly difficulted their user acquisition. So these top mobile publishers have been reworking their user acquisition strategies and they're back to grow, even if not much. But well, at less compared to consoles (which are affected by having all 3 consoles in the 2nd half of their sales cycle, where they decrease y.o.y.) mobile gaming revenue is growing. Even if obviously growth can't be infinite.

Recent Newzoo estimate for the year:

image.png

2: What are these "emerging markets" you vaguely allude to?
I assume are Asia (particularly countries like China and India), LATAM and Middle East (all markets mostly focused on mobile and PC) are the regions with the biggest player growth. Same recent report from Newzoo:

image.png

Global-games-market-revenues-in-2024-by-region.png

8: PS5 is already 2 million lifetime behind PS4 launch-aligned. There could be any number of factors for this, such as heavily limited 2021 stock, the console price increase, the extended cross-gen period, and more. However it doesn't take much to guess that their multiplatform strategy this gen has played some part into that drop as well. Is it 5% responsible or 50% responsible? We don't know and that doesn't matter.
The PS5 vs PS4 hardware units difference we see it's mostly from 2021 (shortage of components) and is also located in EU because in NA or Japan PS5 is ahead of PS4. I think another factor is that they had to increase prices instead of pricecutting it. I think another important factor is that since AAA games every generation take longer to be made there are still some key IPs still available in previous gen, and combined with old key GaaS titles released in previous gen still getting supported, half of their active userbase (maybe mixed with the fucked economy and inflation that specially affected Europe) still is in PS4 and haven't upgraded to PS5. So pretty likely most of them will migrate later, maybe once some of these key IPs/GaaS start to release and get updated only in PS5.

If we look at hardware revenue instead, this generation they are ahead of the previos one, as also happens in software revenue, game subs, accesories, ARPU or MAU. Or well, in total SIE revenue and profit.

Meaning, most of their console or division metrics are better than in the previous generation -and in some cases at all time record numbers for any generation for them or for any console maker- with hardware units sales as exception because of EU and 2021 shortages.

Last edited:
Recent new privacy "policy" for ads in mobile platforms -specially in iOS- made very difficult to target specific demographics and player types for mobile games, which highly difficulted their user acquisition. So these top mobile publishers have been reworking their user acquisition strategies and they're back to grow, even if not much. But well, at less compared to consoles (which are affected by having all 3 consoles in the 2nd half of their sales cycle, where they decrease y.o.y.) mobile gaming revenue is growing. Even if obviously growth can't be infinite.

Recent Newzoo estimate for the year:

image.png

So in other words, mobile is growing slower than console even when one of the current-gen consoles (Xbox Series) is pretty much collapsing in sales?

Mobile publishers might be able to leverage new algorithms to better target growth, but I still don't think that's going to create a growth environment many magnitudes above other gaming markets, on average. Maybe with very select publishers and select games, but can't see it being universal.

I assume are Asia (particularly countries like China and India), LATAM and Middle East (all markets mostly focused on mobile and PC) are the regions with the biggest player growth. Same recent report from Newzoo:

image.png

Global-games-market-revenues-in-2024-by-region.png

I think you fail to see the hypocrisy in what the user I image-quoted was trying to imply. They mentioned these things so as to suggest Sony/SIE AREN'T doing similar things, when the truth is Sony/SIE are well ahead of Microsoft in entrenching their gaming brand in those emerging markets. Most of Microsoft's growth in said markets will come from Zenimax & ABK IPs, i.e assets they had to spend a combined total of almost $85 billion on.

So most of Microsoft's growth in said markets is lateral; they are just taking what market presence Zenimax & ABK already had in those regions and consolidating it to their own gaming brand. And if recent numbers from ABK indicate anything, the consolidated assets are making them less in revenue than many would have assumed otherwise.

The PS5 vs PS4 hardware units difference we see it's mostly from 2021 (shortage of components) and is also located in EU because in NA or Japan PS5 is ahead of PS4. I think another factor is that they had to increase prices instead of pricecutting it. I think another important factor is that since AAA games every generation take longer to be made there are still some key IPs still available in previous gen, and combined with old key GaaS titles released in previous gen still getting supported, half of their active userbase (maybe mixed with the fucked economy and inflation that specially affected Europe) still is in PS4 and haven't upgraded to PS5. So pretty likely most of them will migrate later, maybe once some of these key IPs/GaaS start to release and get updated only in PS5.

Yeah most of them will eventually upgrade, but exactly how many will? Going by the current trend, it'll tap out less than PS4 unless this gen is extended by a year, which seems to be the case.

If we look at hardware revenue instead, this generation they are ahead of the previos one, as also happens in software revenue, game subs, accesories, ARPU or MAU. Or well, in total SIE revenue and profit.

Meaning, most of their console or division metrics are better than in the previous generation -and in some cases at all time record numbers for any generation for them or for any console maker- with hardware units sales as exception because of EU and 2021 shortages.

Two things:

1: Inflation exists. Even if per-user spend were no higher vs. last gen, SIE'd be making more revenue simply due to the presence of inflation.

2: Record revenue right now doesn't guarantee it will remain that way going forward, although the steady presence of inflation does help offset that a tad. Truth be told, we still don't know the full impact some of SIE's more aggressive strategy points this gen (WRT, say, multiplatform support) will have on the next PlayStation generation.

We might see an inkling of that with the PS5 Pro's market performance, but again we'll see how it all goes.

yurinka

So in other words, mobile is growing slower than console even when one of the current-gen consoles (Xbox Series) is pretty much collapsing in sales?
According to this Newzoo 2024 estimate mobile will grow (+3% yoy) and consoles will decrease (-1% yoy) this year.

But we know Xbox is collapsing, so pretty likely if we only look at PS and Switch combined they should be growing more than mobile in terms of percentage (maybe not in dollars because mobile is almost twice as big as console).

Mobile publishers might be able to leverage new algorithms to better target growth, but I still don't think that's going to create a growth environment many magnitudes above other gaming markets, on average. Maybe with very select publishers and select games, but can't see it being universal.
Yes. They have been trying different strategies to improve their user acquisition, retention and monetization to depend less on that type of ads. After a yer or two they are back to growth but still is very low, basically flat.

In fact, growing 3% in dollars when the global inflation is like around 9%, in reality that 3% is not really an increase. If inflation adjusted it would be a decrease.

I think you fail to see the hypocrisy in what the user I image-quoted was trying to imply. They mentioned these things so as to suggest Sony/SIE AREN'T doing similar things, when the truth is Sony/SIE are well ahead of Microsoft in entrenching their gaming brand in those emerging markets. Most of Microsoft's growth in said markets will come from Zenimax & ABK IPs, i.e assets they had to spend a combined total of almost $85 billion on.
Yes, SIE does many things differently than MS gaming division, which caused them to have very different results. Recent MS growth in recent times is a non-organical one, comes mostly from acquisitions of Zenimax and specially ABK, mostly CoD and King. But other than that their console business is going down.

Sony instead has most of their console related metrics on all time highs and in a growing trend, with the exception of hardware sales (in units, not dollars) mostly due to 2021 and some EU countries. And on top of their success in consoles, every year they keep growing at a fast pace their PC and movie/tv shows business even if still represent a small percentage of the total. Sony keeps improving their results in all fronts, and as a result SIE is having their top grossing and most profitable generation ever. Even if they did several acquisitions, they're all from a way lower volume and importance compared to Bethesda or ABK: their growth is mostly organical (from improving products and services they already had, not from acquiring new ones).

Yeah most of them will eventually upgrade, but exactly how many will? Going by the current trend, it'll tap out less than PS4 unless this gen is extended by a year, which seems to be the case.
I have no idea. The next AC and GTA6 will be next gen only, which will make some people migrate. I assume CoD soonish will migrate too. EA FC always is one of the last ones to leave older gens behind, often even releasing a game in 3 generations. Next year Bungie will release Marathon, so I assume some Destiny players will migrate too.

I assume a good portion will migrate in the 2nd half of 2025, or in 2026. Sony is also making an effort with these layoffs and cancellations and optimizations to be more profitable, if they continue doing so I assume that around late 2026 or 2027 they'll be able to apply a price cut compensated by that profit improvements in the other areas.

But I assume that whoever still didn't migrate in 2027 (which should be released late 2027/early 2028) they'll wait for the PS6 instead and will migrate directly there. Nowadays very successful GaaS get supported during a super long period of time, and new AAA games take forever to be made, and being so expensive devs also want to sell them wherever is possible so make them crossgen. Plus on top of that, the previous gen users also get good concent for a cheap price with heavy game discounts, or because of game subs like PS+. So they still don't have the need to upgrade because keep getting great stuff at a good price and economy is fucked for them.

Two things:

1: Inflation exists. Even if per-user spend were no higher vs. last gen, SIE'd be making more revenue simply due to the presence of inflation.
Yes, inflation makes them to get more revenue or what is the same: the value of that revenue now is smaller when inflation adjusted.

And inflation also increases their costs, reducing their profit margin and reducing the value of their profits while inflation adjusted.

2: Record revenue right now doesn't guarantee it will remain that way going forward, although the steady presence of inflation does help offset that a tad. Truth be told, we still don't know the full impact some of SIE's more aggressive strategy points this gen (WRT, say, multiplatform support) will have on the next PlayStation generation.

We might see an inkling of that with the PS5 Pro's market performance, but again we'll see how it all goes.
True, record revenue or profit doesn't guarantee to remain forever like that.

But what makes their business specially solid and future proof is that they are not only getting record numbers, but also a several years long revenue growth in most of their areas, both new and existing ones.

That lead to think these areas will continue growing in the short/mid term, and having the business diversified, if one of them stops growing could be compensated with other ones who would continue growing.

I think PS5 Pro will be the same as PS4 Pro was: a secondary product for a small niche of very hardcore players that will end representing a small percentage of the total PS5 hardware sales. I think it will help them to get more revenue and be a small refresh but that won't cause a huge bump in sales. But I think they'll continue doing great in general.

Top Bottom