• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bill Simmons going to HBO

Status
Not open for further replies.

jbug617

Banned
Schedule:

Monday: Cousin Sal (guess the lines)
Friday: Joe House (make the picks)

1 bonus podcast each week with a celebrity or his dad.

gazele

Banned
Schedule:

Monday: Cousin Sal (guess the lines)
Friday: Joe House (make the picks)

1 bonus podcast each week with a celebrity or his dad.

I'm excited he'll be back, but probably will only listen to the bonus podcast each week, just don't care about football at all

It'll be nice when basketball is back

Gigglepoo

But Oct 1st is this Thursday...

Huh. Well I'll be damned. I wonder if he'll have a show that day. He said he would in his tweet announcing the podcast. I would feel so spoiled if he had one on Thursday and then his picks podcast with Joe House on Friday. I better not get my hopes too high.

Fjordson

So glad he's coming back with another podcast. I liked his column on Grantland, but podcast Simmons is best Simmons imo.

Alur

The Bill Simmons Podcast |OT| Don't Can't Get Fired

The Bill Simmons Podcast |OT| The best podcast since Saving Private Ryan

Bronx-Man

Banned
The Bill Simmons Podcast |OT| The Worst Thing Since the Harden Trade

The Bill Simmons Podcast |OT| Yep, These Are My Listeners.

Bisonian

Huh. Well I'll be damned. I wonder if he'll have a show that day. He said he would in his tweet announcing the podcast. I would feel so spoiled if he had one on Thursday and then his picks podcast with Joe House on Friday. I better not get my hopes too high.

He's pushing live two podcasts on Thurs Oct 1st, and two podcasts on Friday Oct 2nd. There will be four this week.

Might want to clear some time and let those hopes soar.

spyder_ur

First podcast is up. On the itunes feed or here

https://soundcloud.com/the-bill-simmons-podcast/ep-1-week-4-nfl-w-cousin-sa

Cant find a rss feed yet

Was just about to post this - wasn't sure if it was worth a new thread. Pumped to listen. Looks like there are actually two podcasts up - Guess the Lines/NFL with Cousin Sal and a miscellaneous one with Jacko on, among other things, DeflateGate, Roger Goodell, and "grating ESPN personalities". Fireworks?

If only I didn't despise the changes to podcasts in ios8.

Troy

Banned
As bad as the iOS podcasts app is, at least they get podcasts. This doesn't even appear on the Windows Phone app. Looks like I'll need to find this in iTunes and dump it onto an old iPod Shuffle and listen that way while I run.

Was just about to post this - wasn't sure if it was worth a new thread. Pumped to listen. Looks like there are actually two podcasts up - Guess the Lines/NFL with Cousin Sal and a miscellaneous one with Jacko on, among other things, DeflateGate, Roger Goodell, and "grating ESPN personalities". Fireworks?

If only I didn't despise the changes to podcasts in ios8.

He already rips ESPN a bit in the first one with Cousin Sal, so I'm guessing he goes pretty hard at them in the second one since it's in the episode notes.

It's good to have Bill back, his podcasts are always great commute listens (even if he does rip on my Colts all of the time now).

Troy

Banned
He already rips ESPN a bit in the first one with Cousin Sal, so I'm guessing he goes pretty hard at them in the second one since it's in the episode notes.

It's good to have Bill back, his podcasts are always great commute listens (even if he does rip on my Colts all of the time now).

You shitstains deserve it. Leave Tommy alone!

spyder_ur

Yes I can't wait to listen, long lunch break for me perhaps.

I really really dislike the new iOS 8 podcast app though. Ugh

Man, all these ex-ESPNers really can't wait to bite the hand that gave them the opportunity for someone else to overpay for their services, huh?

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
Man, all these ex-ESPNers really can't wait to bite the hand that gave them the opportunity for someone else to overpay for their services, huh?

Kind of to be expected since ESPN is pretty shit and yet has draconian policies on anything even vaguely critical. It's not like Bill ever hid his displeasure with many of the personalities and policies of the network -- hell he'd blatantly make fun of people like Berman and I think was even suspended for it once. So it's not like he's just spiting ESPN because they didn't re-sign him -- he's just not as censored as he was before on the topic.

Fjordson

Eh. ESPN deserves it and it's entertaining. And of course it's not like Bill vs. ESPN wasn't a thing when he was still at the network.

I didn't realize how much I missed Bill, Jacko and Cousin Sal till I heard these. Can't wait for Joe House's return. Not really interested in a a Friday Football talk with him but their annual Basketball Over/Under pods were always my favorite BS Reports.

spyder_ur

There's some truth to this, but Bill Simmons doesn't owe ESPN a damn thing.

Listened to the first one - so great to hear Simmons and Cousin Sal just shooting the shit about the NFL again. I missed it the first 3 weeks.

So unless I'm missing something, this podcast isn't related to Simmons' HBO presence at all, right? I figured HBO would kind of have all of the Simmons-related content bundled like ESPN did previously.

tm24

I guess we shouldn't expect Bill to get Zach Lowe on a podcast anytime soon.

Actually, i don't think there's anything really stopping Lowe from being on his podcast since he has people from other networks/sites on the Lowe Post. Also, since he's a Grantland hire he might have a bit more freedom since i see Grantland people on all sorts of podcasts

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby

Listened to the first one - so great to hear Simmons and Cousin Sal just shooting the shit about the NFL again. I missed it the first 3 weeks.

So unless I'm missing something, this podcast isn't related to Simmons' HBO presence at all, right? I figured HBO would kind of have all of the Simmons-related content bundled like ESPN did previously.

It's under the HBO name and everything, but I don't think they do much by way of podcasting so he's probably just running the show on it. I thought it was hilarious that the first ad was some underwear one. Gotta pay the bills haha. I did notice he had a ton of sponsors whereas he always complained about how ESPN could only get him like one ever, so even that itself was kind of an FU.

Actually, i don't think there's anything really stopping Lowe from being on his podcast since he has people from other networks/sites on the Lowe Post. Also, since he's a Grantland hire he might have a bit more freedom since i see Grantland people on all sorts of podcasts

You mean except for all the ESPN execs who are gonna be pissed at Simmons for airing his dirty ESPN laundry? Sure... yeah... not anything at all...

Dan Patrick was blacklisted for years after leaving ESPN, and that only recently thawed out. I expect the same for Simmons.

Those situations aren't really comparable to Lowe going on his former's boss' podcast with whom the ESPN/ABC brass have a ton of bad blood.

Unless they want to further alienate and get the mass exodus going sooner, I would be shocked if Lowe and Barnwell don't show up on Simmons show. Wesley Morris already left. Lots of Grantland people have their contract end this year towards the end of the year.

Not going to surprised if HBO decides to help him build a site.

Kind of to be expected since ESPN is pretty shit and yet has draconian policies on anything even vaguely critical. It's not like Bill ever hid his displeasure with many of the personalities and policies of the network -- hell he'd blatantly make fun of people like Berman and I think was even suspended for it once. So it's not like he's just spiting ESPN because they didn't re-sign him -- he's just not as censored as he was before on the topic.

I get that - and trust me, I'm no ESPN fan - but it just reeks of an easy way to get attention for a new venture. And it kind of feels "me too"-ish on the heels of Cowherd, who is probably desperate for attention since The Herd isn't exactly lighting FS1 on fire and his radio show definitely took a hit in reach by moving to Fox Sports Radio where many affiliates were already running Rich Eisen.

I disagree. They gave him a national platform on Page 2, paid him quite well, built him a boutique website from scratch and gave him lots of editorial leeway. And yes, at times, he also had to deal with what amounted to petty office politics. Still, without the exposure given by ESPN, he might be at best a regional name in the Boston area at this point.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
I get that - and trust me, I'm no ESPN fan - but it just reeks of an easy way to get attention for a new venture. And it kind of feels "me too"-ish on the heels of Cowherd, who is probably desperate for attention since The Herd isn't exactly lighting FS1 on fire and his radio show definitely took a hit in reach by moving to Fox Sports Radio where many affiliates were already running Rich Eisen.

I'd totally disagree with me-tooish. I didn't follow Cowherd at all but on ESPN he was never one to criticize the company, where as Simmons has done that for years, to the point where it was a key topic in the oral history of ESPN.

Definitely do yourself a favor and don't listen to the just posted episode 3 with Wesley Morris -- goes in deep on what went down at Grantland. :D

scoobs

ahhhhhhhh my life is back to normal. Thank freaking GOD these podcasts are back. Most entertaining sportscast u can listen to

Man God

Non-Canon Member
Grantland only has one or two years tops left for it. It's too expensive to run and doesn't have the prestige name behind it anymore.

Grantland only has one or two years tops left for it. It's too expensive to run and doesn't have the prestige name behind it anymore.

ESPN will probably just ride out the top paid talent's contracts and absorb everyone else into their fold. They already pushed Jalen and Jacoby to ESPN Radio (and they can keep Jalen). Hopefully Zach Lowe can somehow/someway end up back with Simmons, provided he can still create some kind of written content somehow. He's brilliant. I do sometimes wonder if Lowe will end up like Hollinger though and snapped up by a front office in the next couple of years.

tm24

ESPN will probably just ride out the top paid talent's contracts and absorb everyone else into their fold. They already pushed Jalen and Jacoby to ESPN Radio (and they can keep Jalen). Hopefully Zach Lowe can somehow/someway end up back with Simmons, provided he can still create some kind of written content somehow. He's brilliant. I do sometimes wonder if Lowe will end up like Hollinger though and snapped up by a front office in the next couple of years.

I could of swore i read reports that Woj is starting a prestige basketball site for yahoo and was targeting Lowe because his contract was up this year

Also, i think Lowe will stay with his current gig mostly because of his kid and wanting to be with his family

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom