• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bill Simmons going to HBO

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'd imagine those four are hires for his show starting in the Spring, because as far as we know there's no new website coming in this deal. Unless that has changed.

Faddy

Banned
All editors, which is interesting. Maybe he really is going to just completely rebuild Grantland.

Or he is forcing ESPN to do something about Grantland. He just took most of the infrastructure of the site. A website like that needs editors to keep content going up. They either fold it or hire new people.

Along with Dan Fierman, who has left for MTV News, Sean Fennesy and Chris Ryan were running the day to day publishing on the site.

Or he is forcing ESPN to do something about Grantland. He just took most of the infrastructure of the site. A website like that needs editors to keep content going up. They either fold it or hire new people.

Along with Dan Fierman, who has left for MTV News, Sean Fennesy and Chris Ryan were running the day to day publishing on the site.

ESPN was probably going to fold Grantland anyway, or slowly swallow it up into ESPN. I don't think they have any interest in keeping it afloat with Simmons gone. Hell if you believe Bill, they barely had any interest in keeping it afloat when he was there.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
I wonder how much of it was deliberate and how much was just ESPN's total incompetence. I know Simmons complained about not having Grantland on the ESPN mobile site (legit complaint) but the mobile site, and the site in general even, are just so bad now. I can barely find any content I want beyond like the top two stories on a given day.

gazele

Banned
I wonder how much of it was deliberate and how much was just ESPN's total incompetence. I know Simmons complained about not having Grantland on the ESPN mobile site (legit complaint) but the mobile site, and the site in general even, are just so bad now. I can barely find any content I want beyond like the top two stories on a given day.

Probably a combination of both

Grantland is essentially dead for me now, the only podcasts I still listened to were ones that either Litman or Ryan were on, it'll be interesting to see what happens to Greenwald as I can't see Lowe leaving ESPN

Man God

Non-Canon Member

Normally I don't take Simmons too seriously but he has a point about sponsors for the BS report. His podcast was gigantic, much bigger than anything ESPN did but they all had your normal podcast big sponsors while he just had Stamps.com and Subway.

Normally I don't take Simmons too seriously but he has a point about sponsors for the BS report. His podcast was gigantic, much bigger than anything ESPN did but they all had your normal podcast big sponsors while he just had Stamps.com and Subway.

Yep, looking at how podcast sponsorships have exploded in the past few years, there's no way a podcast as popular as Simmons' couldn't be monetized better by ESPN.

BizzyBum

Did anyone listen to when Bill was on with Francesa earlier in the week?

Back in 2003 Mike actually contacted him to take over for Dog when he left but Simmons just signed with ESPN. That woulda been... interesting.

Troy

Banned
I love Bill, buy whenever the podcasts turn to betting lines I just delete it. Can't stand that shit. Been enjoying the veiled and not-so-veiled jabs at ESPN sprinkled in throughout most of the episodes.

zychi

Banned
I love Bill, buy whenever the podcasts turn to betting lines I just delete it. Can't stand that shit. Been enjoying the veiled and not-so-veiled jabs at ESPN sprinkled in throughout most of the episodes.

then you're not going to like 99% of the podcasts. Most of the guests are gamblers, and its what sports talk has basically turned into the last few years

then you're not going to like 99% of the podcasts. Most of the guests are gamblers, and its what sports talk has basically turned into the last few years

Eh, Simmons does more than NFL podcasts (those have always been his least interesting ones actually), which are the only ones really consumed by gambling talk. Though I suppose a lot of that is going to depend on what kind of guests he can get now, especially with the NBA where everyone he talked to is still employed by ABC/ESPN. Hopefully all of the sports talk isn't Joe House/Cousin Sal.

Lunar FC

Excited to see what the Grantland crew do at HBO. But Hollywood Prospectus was my favorite TV podcast. Now i've got nothing. :(

Fjordson

I love the gambling talk, even though I've never bet on a game in my life. I think it lets me gamble vicariously through the show or something weird like that.

Anyways, I feel like there'll be more non-gambling talk once the NBA season starts and the NFL playoffs get closer.

Vyer

I don't bet on lines, but I still like them. Honestly they break down into more of a weekly game preview/last week rant more than anything else.

Can ESPN Solve Its Grantland Problem?

If that wasn’t enough, multiple sources have confirmed that one of the staffers who left, deputy editor Sean Fennessey, was offered Simmons’s old job as Grantland’s editor in chief, the post currently held by Chris Connelly. Fennessey turned ESPN down, deciding instead to join Simmons in a new digital venture, along with other ex-Grantlanders Juliet Litman, Mallory Rubin, and Chris Ryan. Dan Fierman also left to serve as vice president and editorial director of MTV News.

Lol, damn.

James Andrew Miller ‏@JimMiller 23m23 minutes ago
Another @Grantland33 exit: @rembert who had a year left on contract, has been given a release by @espn He will not be joining @BillSimmons

BearPawB

Banned
My podcast feed is so sad and empty. Plenty to listen to but nothing i want to listen to.

I miss the pop culture feed so much already

My podcast feed is so sad and empty. Plenty to listen to but nothing i want to listen to.

I miss the pop culture feed so much already

Jalen and Jacoby going daily has totally ruined them for me, too. It was great 3-4 times a month, but 2 hrs a day is wayyyyyy too much of a good thing.

If that

I'm sure Barnwell, Lowe and Keri will be folded back into ESPN proper, maybe 538

God, and 538 is more of a disaster traffic and prestige-wise than Grantland. That's going to get folded into ESPN so fast.

bigkrev

It's also been over a week since the Grantland NFL podcast had an episode (and there isn't one coming today according to Barnwell). I'm worried.

It's also been over a week since the Grantland NFL podcast had an episode (and there isn't one coming today according to Barnwell). I'm worried.

Last week Barnwell said it was because of technical problems. His column is still being published so its probably some messed up software or something.

methodman

Banned
I think zach lowe hasnt released an article for a week or two by now and that sucks cuz it's the beginning of the season and he used to drop multiple articles a week... he's by far the best nba writer in the business. i dislike grantland at this point but i'd still go there for him

tm24

Where are my freaking over/unders Simmons and House? Where is my basketball talk?

Grantland hasnt had a Zach Lowe column in 10 days! This is madness

BearPawB

Banned
Glad Im not the only one. They used to be near the top of my listening, depending what else downloaded. Now I delete every other show without playing it.

i really like them. And i like them together. But i don't need a daily radio show. That is why i don't listen to the radio.

gazele

Banned
Never liked Chris Connelly, and this just helps to seal that opinion

Really strange and petty to edit out people who's friends are leaving that site and just want to say some nice things

The Podcast should be better come NBA start.really enjoyed the bill dont lies.

Also,holding he can get Greenwald on. Really enjoyed him and Bill talking tv.(also fantasy booking wire characters on the walking dead,lol)

i really like them. And i like them together. But i don't need a daily radio show. That is why i don't listen to the radio.

Yep. 3-4 times a month forced them into a tighter production with subjects that Jalen was super familiar with and had actual takes on.

They're also overdoing it with the sound effects stuff, it's just kinda cringeworthy IMO.

Never liked Chris Connelly, and this just helps to seal that opinion

Really strange and petty to edit out people who's friends are leaving that site and just want to say some nice things

I'm sure he's under pressure from upper management and it's not his final call. Him and Bill always seemed to get along, and I'm sure he feels terribly awkward right now.

I'm sure he's under pressure from upper management and it's not his final call. Him and Bill always seemed to get along, and I'm sure he feels terribly awkward right now.

If Sean Fennessey was really offered the EiC role before leaving then ESPN has already decided that Connelly isn't the right guy for the job and just haven't found the right replacement yet.

Where are my freaking over/unders Simmons and House? Where is my basketball talk?

Grantland hasnt had a Zach Lowe column in 10 days! This is madness

They said a few weeks back that they were waiting until the week before the season started, so I'm guessing it'll be this week. As for general NBA talk, Simmons has said his Friday podcast with House will have NBA talk every week once the season starts.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom