• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

BioShock 2 |OT| of Big Sisters, Delta Daddies, and Creepy Uncles

eefsl.jpg

o5q5ux.jpg

You don't need to put BioShock 1 spoilers in spoiler tags. If you haven't played the first game, I suggest you back out of this thread.

This is the sequel to BioShock: That alone should say all that needs to be said about spoilers for this thread, but I'll say more just in case. Be VERY, VERY careful with spoilers. Who here would've appreciated the WYK? twist from the first BioShock being spoiled for him/her? No one. Please, before you post anything that has any spoilers in it, CHECK ALL OF YOUR SPOILER TAGS: Make sure they aren't broken. A sure-fire way to make sure you don't accidentally make a post with broken spoiler tags is to click "preview" for your post.

But, Dax, how do I use spoiler tags?

It's very simple: [spoiler.]Text goes here[/spoiler] without the period. Get it? Got it? Good.

On a semi-unrelated note, let me use this space to say that I, nor anyone else that is looking forward to the game and is looking forward to discussing it wants to see the following post or any variation there of:
I loved the first BioShock, but I feel that BioShock 2 is an unnecessary sequel, so I'm not going to play it.
You know what? Nobody cares. Please, if you aren't going to play this game, don't post in this thread.​

2090sgx.jpg

Title | BioShock 2
Developer | 2K Marin, 2K Australia, Digital Extremes, and 2K China
Publisher | 2K Games
Platforms | Xbox 360, PS3, and PC
Release Date | The Day Before Dax's Birthday (Worldwide release February 9th, 2010)

Retail

PC Version
  • Specs:
    Minimum System Requirements
    Operating System: Windows XP, Vista, Windows 7
    Processor: AMD Athlon 64 Processor 3800+ 2.4Ghz or better, Intel Pentium 4 530 3.0Ghz Processor or better
    RAM: 2GB
    Video card: NVIDIA 7800GT 256MB graphics card or better, ATI Radeon X1900 256MB graphics card or better
    Hard drive space: 11GB
    Sound: 100% DirectX 9.0C compliant sound card w/ onboard sound

Recommended System Requirements
    Processor: AMD Athlon 64 X2 5200+ Dual Core 2.60Ghz, Intel Core 2 Duo E6420 Dual Core 2.13Ghz
    RAM: 3GB
    Video card: NVIDIA 8800GT 512MB graphics card or better, ATI Radeon HD4830 512MB graphics card or better

Other Requirements (Retail version)
    Initial installation requires one-time internet connection; Ability to save game, earn Achievements, receive title updates and online play requires log-in to Games for Windows LIVE; requires disc-in-drive to play; software installations required (included on disc) include Microsoft Visual C++2008 Runtime Libraries, Games for Windows LIVE client, Games for Windows LIVE Client Patch, Sony DADC SecuROM, Microsoft DirectX.

PERIPHERALS SUPPORTED: Microsoft compatible Keyboard and Mouse.
  • PC FAQ and Podcast

1o3mn6.jpg

BioShock 2 is set ten years after the events of the first game. This time, you take up the role of the first Big Daddy, the prototype for all the Big Daddies, Subject Delta.

1zyygy9.jpg

28tcc47.jpg

She's the person in charge of Rapture when you awaken from your slumber. A political rival of Andrew Ryan's, Sofia is an altruist, meaning that she believes the needs of the community outweigh the needs of the individual. If one person must be sacrificed in order to benefit the whole, then so be it.

2zyy0yu.jpg

Briefly mentioned in the first game, Augustus Sinclair plays a more prominent role in BioShock 2. He was one of the key members of Rapture's scientific community, and his business, Sinclair Solutions, was one of the most important plasmid-researching companies under the direction of Andrew Ryan.

xkoqdi.jpg

Brigid Tenebaum returns for BioShock 2. She's likely returned to Rapture because of all the recent kidnappings that have happened along the coasts of the Atlantic. Her priorities are unclear, but it is likely that the well-being of the Little Sisters is first and foremost in his mind. Don't be fooled into thinking otherwise; you're expendable to her.

b54ehu.jpg

210ilbt.jpg

In BioShock 2, you get to use the Big Daddy's most iconic weapon: the Drill. Induce significant damage by drilling into your enemies, or go for a more powerful approach and charge with it. Both are likely to see any survivors cowering before your feet.

x2lcgi.jpg

The Rivet Gun is a single-shot, semiautomatic ranged weapon that fires high-speed rivets. It is fast, accurate, powerful, and has low recoil. One of my most anticipated aspects of BioShock 2 is getting the opportunity to finally use this gun.

20r4ll5.jpg

One of the newcomers for the game, the gatling gun is your new submachine gun. High rate of fire, low accuracy, but you can fire a whole lot before you have to reload.

14uyz6a.jpg

Looks deadly-awesome, doesn't it? Your new shotgun is double-barreled, has a low rate of fire, low ammo, but is extremely deadly at close range.

2ps1uuf.jpg

Another newcomer. Not much is known about this weapon other than it's probably your "rocket launcher." Caution: Firing in close proximity could damage you too!

18zlsw.jpg

A single-shot, long-ranged weapon capable of firing spears (duh!). It has a low rate of fire, but is pretty accurate from any range.

149wg89.jpg

Gone is that cumbersome and tedious pipe mini-game from the first BioShock. This is its replacement. Instead of having to walk up and physically hack an object, you can now hack from a distance.

vmzjup.jpg

For BioShock 2, instead of clumsily trying to get a picture of one of your enemies, and in doing so being unable to fight back, this new research camera records video of your fights. Fight while you research! The more you experiment in killing your enemies, the more research you'll get done in a smaller amount of time.

alhhrt.jpg

Unlike the first game, BioShock 2 sports a complete multiplayer experience.

24q5umf.jpg

Downloads | Click here!
MetaCritic | Xbox 360, Playstation 3, and PC
, PC: N/A
Special Thanks | Thanks to BruceLeeRoy for making all of this amazing artwork!

Selected Quotes
OXM said:
BioShock 2 isn't a groundbreaking follow-up that rewrites all the rules laid down by its predecessor. No, think of it as a sequel that fills in the gaps, adding exciting new dimensions to what's come before... You will be utterly absorbed.
PSM3 said:
Unless the familiarity really gets to you, you're going to love BioShock 2. It's a lovingly crafted, carefully constructed masterpiece of narrative richness and smart game mechanics. It can even be enjoyed as a straight-up shooter thanks to its innovative, tactile combat system.
IGN said:
Anyone looking for a first-person shooter that offers more than flat, stereotypical characters and copy-and-paste supersoldier plots, one that attempts to establish a sense of right and wrong and loops you into the decision making process, and one that's set in one of the most vividly realized settings around should pick up BioShock 2. It's a game in which story, setting, and gameplay are expertly blended to create an experience that's as thought-provoking as it is entertaining.

Articles to Read
  • The BioShock 2 Suggested Reading List as listed by Jordan Thomas
    Fiction:

Anthem by Ayn Rand
    Walden Two by BF Skinner
    Men Like Gods by H.G. Wells
    A Modern Utopia by H.G. Wells
    Eden by Stanislaw Lem
    The Giver by Lois Lowry (Young Adult Utopian Lit!)
    The Ones who Walk Away from Omelas by Ursula K. Leguin
    The Machine Stops by EM Forester

Non-Fiction (for supernerds):

The Selfish Gene by Richard Dawkins, and a host of its intellectual progeny
    The Moral Animal by Robert Wright (as one such example)
    Being No One by Thomas Metzinger
    Essays of John Stuart Mill (start with ‘Utilitarianism’ available online)
    Essays of Peter Singer (A Darwinian Left and The Expanding Circle are somewhat relevant)
    Essays of David Pearce (check out abolitionism.com, he’s an ultramodern utilitarian thinker)
  • The Chief Creator Against a Tide of Skeptics

Videos

Something in the Sea
The viral website for BioShock 2, "Something in the Sea" details the attempts of one Mark Meltzer to find out where his daughter had been taken and to see if he can get her back.

Miscellaneous

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
nice. still looking forward to this.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
Wow this just kinda crept up all of a sudden ... absolutely no tingling on the hype meter :( which is a fucking shame since B1 is one of my favorite games EVER.

awesome thread btw.

FrankT

I'm ready. Would love a Demo to whet the appetite, but chances are looking slim.

Incredible banner btw.

Arnie

Great job Dax. Can't wait for Bioshock 2, hope the story lives up to the epic heights of the original. I think a lot will depend on whether Sofia Lamb is as enigmatic a character as Andrew Ryan was.

Oh and MLG > Casual. :D

Skilotonn

xbot xbot xbot xbot xbot
Good shit with the OP!

But it's like this game just snuck up on me - I know I was purposely avoiding all media on it (something I only started doing for games since last September) but I had no clue it was coming, and I didn't see any hype for it whatsoever...

Regardless, the first one was one of my favorites games period, the atmosphere and universe is simply splendid, and I'll be picking this one up for sure - I'm crazy busy nowadays though so I don't know when...

Joei

Awesome OP, thanks a lot Dax! I can not wait to play this and am going to have to try my hardest to stay out this thread when it's released since I won't be getting it till the following week.

I know we already have a kind of review thread, but once more scores (obviously high ones) and reviews (obviously great ones) start coming in, are you going to put up the links and said scores in the OP like a lot of other official threads?

And I just want to reiterate what was already stated in the OP: keep the negativity out of this thread. It shits up every other Bioshock 2 related thread and, frankly, quite unnecessary.

alr1ght

bish gets all the credit :)
can't wait.

Just a word on the OP, you can use PNG for transparent images instead of matching the color to gaf's colors.

Is it really a worldwide release? And so soon?!

Thank you, clever self, for blacking out on this one from the day it was announced until now. Only another week to go!

Empty

2K get props for simultaneously worldwide releasing this badboy, the mere three days gap between US and UK Mass Effect 2 releases was painful. Loved the atmosphere, world and plasmid combat of the first game and I'm stoked to see if Jordan Thomas can deliver on the sequel; have my copy ordered already.

Do we know when the review embargo goes up?

Bioshock was awesome, and while I'm not expecting this game to be AS awesome, I'm still looking forward to it. Also does anyone know why there was a lot of marketing/publicity in 2009 and practically no hype now?

Blueblur1

Nice "OP", Dax. But it's not really a solid OP if the actual information is not in the original post.

Rez said:
nice. still looking forward to this.
I bet you are extremely pleased with the first post. Just your style. :lol

K.Jack

Knowledge is power, guard it well
I got in on a 4-pack for the cheap price, but I have barely just started the first.

Hopefully impressions are positive, otherwise I'll have nothing to look forward to.

Press Release Source: 2K Games On Tuesday February 2, 2010, 12:30 pm EST

NEW YORK--(BUSINESS WIRE)--2K Games announced today its nationwide Return to Rapture with midnight openings celebrating the launch of the eagerly awaited BioShock® 2, the shocking sequel to the 2007 Game of the Year. On February 9, more than 2,500 GameStop and Best Buy stores will open their doors when the clock strikes midnight to the hordes of Big Daddy fans hungry to get their hands on and devour BioShock 2. Additionally, those who pre-ordered the game through GameStop will receive two bonus characters* - Blanche the Actress and Zigo the Fisherman - to use in the game’s multiplayer mode. The road to the launch of BioShock 2 kicks off tonight, with the debut of a 3 minute 15 second trailer during the first commercial break of Late Night with Jimmy Fallon.

“One of the most exciting aspects of the original BioShock was how our fans responded with adoration for the game, from creating homemade Big Daddy suits to their own BioShock-inspired art and videos,” said Christoph Hartmann, president, 2K. “We felt it was only fitting to reach out to those passionate fans with nationwide Return to Rapture midnight openings where they can pick up their copy of BioShock 2 as early as possible.”

Debuting during the first commercial block of NBC’s Late Night with Jimmy Fallon exclusively in North America, the launch trailer is a realization of the elements that BioShock 2 fans have been clamoring for. Breathtaking action set against the backdrop of a decaying underwater Utopia provides players with the slice of Rapture that awaits them next week, all presented in a style that is distinctively representative of the BioShock universe.

BioShock 2 will provide players with the perfect blend of explosive first-person shooter combat, compelling storytelling and intense multiplayer to form one of 2010’s most highly anticipated titles. Set approximately 10 years after the events of the original BioShock, the halls of Rapture once again echo with sins of the past. Along the Atlantic coastline, a monster has been snatching little girls and bringing them back to the undersea city of Rapture. Players step into the boots of the most iconic denizen of Rapture, the Big Daddy, as they travel through the decrepit and beautiful fallen city, chasing an unseen foe in search of answers and their own survival.

BioShock 2 was developed by 2K Marin in collaboration with 2K Australia, Digital Extremes and 2K China. The game will be available worldwide on February 9, 2010, and is rated M for Mature by the ESRB.

For more information, please visit www.bioshock2game.com, www.cultofrapture.com and www.somethinginthesea.com.

2K Games is a division of 2K, a publishing label of Take-Two Interactive Software, Inc. (NASDAQ: TTWO - News).

* Pre-order incentive items are while supplies last. Please check with local store to confirm Midnight Launch event before attending.

http://finance.yahoo.com/news/2K-Games-Puts-BioShock-2-Fans-bw-2462342562.html?x=0&.v=1

Oyashiro

I'm so pumped for this game! BioShock is pretty much my favorite game from this gen. I can't wait to see how BioShock 2 will turn out (I've avoided all the videos released so far...)

I took a look at the achievement list and I'm sad that they have included online achievements :( Sucks for those of us that can't get online on our 360s...

stupei

Blackace said:
ME2 to Lost to Bioshock2 2010 I love you..

Fixed. :D

Best. weeks. ever.

And great thread, Dax. Getting pretty pumped, thinking about possibly playing the original to hold me over.

is there a reason we cant preorder bioshock 2 limited edition online at gamestop/ebgames? or is it just you have to do it in store only or something

Does the PC version support the 360 controller? I would think it would . . . the first Bioshock did.

The PC manual for BS2 doesn't mention the controller directly but it does mention this:
Options Set General and Multiplayer game options, including customizing
your controls, adjusting Controller Sensitivity and turning Enable Vibration,
Southpaw Controls and Adaptive Training ON/OFF.
I don't think there is a vibration for keyboards or mice.

Solo

Im so down on this game its not even funny. However, that may work out to my benefit, as going in with low expectations often leads to getting blown away. Heres hoping thats the case with Bioshock 2.

Ridley327

In case anyone was wondering, there are no spoilers in the manual, although they do make the hilarious suggestion of setting the difficulty to Hard so you can get all of the achievements. :lol :lol :lol

PC LE for me! 100+ page hardbound art books and vinyl records get me so hot and bothered.

Hype virtually non-existent, it'll take some great impressions to convince me.

Ridley327 said:
In case anyone was wondering, there are no spoilers in the manual, although they do make the hilarious suggestion of setting the difficulty to Hard so you can get all of the achievements. :lol :lol :lol
Classy.

Well, I bought it based solely on my love of the first game (and getting it for ~$33 helped too). I know next to nothing about it, and I kind of like it that way. I'm hoping for the best. All I know is that it has MP and Jordan Thomas is at the helm. :lol

Wow. Great job with the opening post.

In terms of spoiler ground rules, I'm guessing this thread takes for granted that everyone here has concluded Bioshock 1, and so that stuff doesn't need spoiler tags?

Looking forward to this game. I need to somehow polish off Mass Effect 2 before the 9th so I can play this.

All the viral marketing, actually made me less interested since there's so much to pay attention too. It's kind of stupid and they definitely over did it.

Picking up the Limited Edition because Bioshock 1 was easily top 5 favorite games for me.

GhaleonEB said:
I'm assuming the answer is no going from the OP, but is there going to be a 360 demo?
No, there hasn't been an announcement for a demo. If there is one, it probably won't happen until this Sunday due to this promotion. I'm expecting (okay, hoping) for one.

Joei said:
I know we already have a kind of review thread, but once more scores (obviously high ones) and reviews (obviously great ones) start coming in, are you going to put up the links and said scores in the OP like a lot of other official threads?

I'll be keeping the OP up to date with links to Metacritic and stuff like that. Speaking of reviews, if you go to Gamespot's home page, they advertise a review from Gamepro (5/5).

alr1ghtstart said:
Just a word on the OP, you can use PNG for transparent images instead of matching the color to gaf's colors.
Send that advice BruceLeeRoy's way. :p

Blueblur1 said:
Nice "OP", Dax. But it's not really a solid OP if the actual information is not in the original post.
I can't tell if you're being sarcastic/joking or not, but why wait for a thread by me to make this sort of comment? Why not do it for Mass Effect 2? RE5? Any of BruceLeeRoy's threads? And, while we're at it, what is everyone calling this? An OP.

Fixed2BeBroken said:
is there a reason we cant preorder bioshock 2 limited edition online at gamestop/ebgames? or is it just you have to do it in store only or something
You sure you can't pre-order it? Here's the page.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
pre-load is usually two days before.

ew, multiplayer achievements. looks like I won't be getting all of them this time. Bioshock is one the the two -- maybe, three -- games I bothered getting all the achievements for. Not this time, I guess. Have to get people to play that multiplayer somehow, I guess.

Top Bottom