• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

BioShock 2 |OT| of Big Sisters, Delta Daddies, and Creepy Uncles

Wow, not only are there awful technical issues on PC, the 2k forums got so slammed that they're down now. Great. Won't even play it till I get a decent patch. What a shame. Least AVP comes out next week, got faith in those bros.

pr0cs

brandonh83 said:
I really dislike the available MP skins so here's hoping to catch someone giving away some of the codes :lol
QFT, I was hoping that there was some unlockables as you leveled but there doesn't appear to be any, the very limited skin/hat/weapon/clothing selections really SUCK!

So, yeah, I died four times fighting my first Big Sister.:lol Good thing I had the vitachambers on. I'm about four hours in, and I'm not even done with
Ryan Amusements
... almost, though.

Dax01 said:
Besides, a canonical explanation would be something like this: Seeing as how Delta is a prototype and he can use plasmids and various weapons, he can defend himself a lot easier than your normal BD. Thus having less armor, because if you look at him, he's definitely not as heavily armored as a Bouncer BD.

The problem is that Jack feels like a tank compared to Delta, and Jack was completely unarmored.

Ok fine, it isn't that bad, but I definitely notice that my life bar drains a lot faster in this game than it did in the first.

Anyway I didn't get that far into the game so I am planning on restarting, and playing without the Vita Chambers.

Oh and am I using the trap rivets wrong? I set up quite a few during the Big Daddy fight and he seemed to just run right through them, without taking any significant damage.

mattso

Obsessed said:
The problem is that Jack feels like a tank compared to Delta, and Jack was completely unarmored.

Ok fine, it isn't that bad, but I definitely notice that my life bar drains a lot faster in this game than it did in the first.

Anyway I didn't get that far into the game so I am planning on restarting, and playing without the Vita Chambers.

Oh and am I using the trap rivets wrong? I set up quite a few during the Big Daddy fight and he seemed to just run right through them, without taking any significant damage.
Trap rivets seem to do just as much damage as normal rivets. So they're more useful for setting up gathering sessions than taking down big daddies.

D

Deleted member 1235

Unconfirmed Member
ok guys does anyone find this maddeningly difficult?

I just got a little sister, took her to harvest her second body and get mugged by too many splicers for my ammo.

Maybe I don't get the game, it seems like a conserve ammo type deal like resident evil 1 OK fine, that can be tense, but I murder them all but 1, then they kill me and I have to start this shit again, with 0 ammo, do a collectathon for lockboxes they drop which never yields enough (or more than I had the first time) and i get screwed again.

Seems like I always end up trying to beat 4 guys to death with a gun/drill and I eventually get shot to death from across the room or a final lead pipe to the face.

I guess thats why my big daddy was the prototype, he fucking sux

ruxtpin

Banned
catfish said:

I just got a little sister, took her to harvest her second body and get mugged by too many splicers for my ammo.

Maybe I don't get the game, it seems like a conserve ammo type deal like resident evil 1 OK fine, that can be tense, but I murder them all but 1, then they kill me and I have to start this shit again, with 0 ammo, do a collectathon for lockboxes they drop which never yields enough (or more than I had the first time) and i get screwed again.

Seems like I always end up trying to beat 4 guys to death with a gun/drill and I eventually get shot to death from across the room or a final lead pipe to the face.

Just make sure you've got enough first aid kits and EVE hypos. Once you've located the body in a level, keep exploring for a bit and build your resources and then come back when you know you can put up a big front. That, and save right before you let the sister go about her work.

edgefusion

catfish said:

Are you using the traps? Trap darts? Trap mines? The plasmid that knocks splicers into the air? The mini-turrets? These are all very effective when protecting a Little Sister.

CoLaN

I liked the MP (pc version) at first, but after i spent few hours into it i noticed HUGE issues.

Weapons are messed up, they are not balanced at all. The granade launcher is ridicolous and mortifies the whole gameplay, weapons like the crossbow become almost useless because in the middle of a granades rain it's not easy to aim (and why should i aim when 2 splash damage hits kills the enemies?)

The gamemodes are fun, but the guns are horrible and makes the whole experience a random mess

Although nothing in the game so far has given me the same wow factor as the first game, my enjoyment has been raising with each level. I’m particularly loving
Sirens Alley
which is what I’m up to now. Without giving anything away, how far in would I be?

Also, to play contrarian for a bit, I'm only playing on normal atm for my first story playthrough and so far find it really easy. Don't get me wrong, enemies like the Big Daddy and Brute Splicer are tough, but you have so many plasmid and weapon options you can just unoad on them. I'm playing with Vita Chambers off and I've only had to reload twice, once from the first Big Sis and once from me being stupid. I walked up to a missle turret that I was sure I had hacked...

I also find that once I unlocked the
Drill Dash
I'm finding splicers a cake-walk.

Obsessed said:
That's probably because you remember playing him at the end of the game. At the beginning of BioShock, Jack was just as helpless as Delta.

So far I am only playing the MP and I really like it. The whole research on dead enemies booster is really cool. Also, adding the Call of Duty progression system is an excellent way to keep me interested. It has kept me out of SP thus far.

The only real complaint that I have is that the lobby has made my console lock up a couple of times. My buddy sent me an invite to his game and as soon I got it, the dang 360 froze. So I have to keep resetting it. No bueno.

alr1ght

bish gets all the credit :)
Dax01 said:

twidescreen_after.jpg

lol, they still seem to be confused. 16:10 is taller than 16:9. Kind of ridiculous for PC players.

edgefusion

CoLaN said:
I liked the MP (pc version) at first, but after i spent few hours into it i noticed HUGE issues.

Weapons are messed up, they are not balanced at all. The granade launcher is ridicolous and mortifies the whole gameplay, weapons like the crossbow become almost useless because in the middle of a granades rain it's not easy to aim (and why should i aim when 2 splash damage hits kills the enemies?)

The gamemodes are fun, but the guns are horrible and makes the whole experience a random mess

You're right, as soon as you get into a match where people have the grenade launcher unlocked the game just breaks.

edgefusion said:
You're right, as soon as you get into a match where people have the grenade launcher unlocked the game just breaks.
For the games I've played, the grenade launchers aren't a problem on the 360 version. I use the launcher regularly, but I do just fine without it.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
I'm having no problems with the mouse look in this game. If it has the same problems as Bioshock 1, I certainly can't tell.

My 360 has been freezing a lot since yesterday which is when I started playing this game, was just fine before, clocked in tons of hours with Mass Effect 2 and before that.

I have BioShock 2 installed as well, no clue why it keeps freezing. Anyone else having similar issues?

Hi, first time poster. Anyway...I'm a HUGE Bioshock fan, loved the first with a passion. Just beat Bioshock 2 a few minutes ago and thought I'd write my own mini-review.

To me, Bioshock 2 is a failure. None of the levels give the same "spark" the first gave, and to be honest there design feels awfully maze like, and vast very differently than Bioshock 1 level. A plus you might say is that they are larger, and gives a more open stance. But really, none of the levels were good and really are quite forgettable.

Levels. Really this is a different game. There is no level like Fort Frolic, in that it awws, and inspires you. There is no level like Arcadia that just makes you sit and watch the beauty of raptures nature. No, instead we are given levels like Pauper Drop that feel very bland and really makes the worst levels in Bioshock 1, seem the best. Really I'm suprised. Jordan Thomas who created Fort Frolic, which was easily the best level in Bioshock 1, was able to make such crappy levels. Except the last few levels, Bioshock 2 REALLY fails in this deparment. Losing the charm, and uniuqeness the 1st had.,

Characters. Besides your guide Mr. Agustus Sinclair every character feels either very bland, or really boring. The audio characters backstories really give me no interest to here, compared to the 1st, and really it came to the point where I really could care less. Don't expect someone to rival a Sander Cohen, because there simply isn't one. Sophia Lamb does rival Andrew Ryan in a way, but in the end there was something about Ryan that you simply cannot find. Also the moral decisions you face in the game are really black-and-white. Easily Bioshock 2 fails in the character department.

Gameplay. For the most part the gameplay is pretty solid. The plasmids are stronger than ever, and the weapons feel great. Though be warned that it will take a level or 2 to really get the feel of the weapon. Though I much preffered the handmade look of Jacks weapons in Bioshock 1, compared to Deltas futuristic looking weapons. But if you liked the gameplay in Bioshock 1, you'll proabley like this even more, since overall it feels more polished. But I do have some gripes. I was highly dissapointed that they got rid of the voices in the vending machines. Without them, it really dilutes the creepyness of Rapture. As well as that, they got rid of the Synthesing (sp?) machines, which I really did enjoy in Bioshock 1.

Enemies. For some reason as you hit the later levels you seem to get attacked by the same enemies over, and over again. Especially the last level.

Story. Really if I said Bioshock 2 story is bad, I'd be lying. But honestly compare it to Bioshock 2 and you'll see the different. Bioshock 2 doesn't hold a candle in terms of story to Bioshock 1.

Overall. Bioshock 2 loses everything the 1st game had. There were times I was playing Bioshock 2, that I really wished I was playing Bioshock 1 instead. There are less creepy moments, WAY LESS to be honest, and don't expect a plot twist. I mean are there "twists
in the game. Yeahhhh. But nothing compared to the "Would you Kindly". The ending was better but still everything has been lost in Bioshock 2. The wow factor, the awsome characters, the beautiful levels, the great creepy scripted events. GONE.

Bioshock 2 in my mind is a failure. And honestly lost EVERYTHING that Bioshock 1 had..........long live Bioshock 1. Long live.....

SCORE: 3/10

Pro
+Improved Combat
+Interesting new enemy types
+Few interesting characters

Cons
-Loses the Aww factor...COMPLETLY
-Really had none of the creepy scripted events
-Graphics...suprisingly are better in Bioshock 1
-Most of the audio diarie characters, as well as the characters you meet are really lack luster
-Levels are horrible...except for a few. Don't expect anything in the quality of Arcadia, or Fort Frolic
-Underwater sections are really pointless in my mind

FAIL.

Ridley327

No one gets to complain about how hard this game gets until they fight
Father Wales and his followers
on Hard.

What the FUCK. The sequence after that wasn't worth that bullshit.

Killer Frank said:
Story. Really if I said Bioshock 2 story is bad, I'd be lying. But honestly compare it to Bioshock 2 and you'll see the different.

*head explodes*

Killer Frank said:
SCORE: 3/10

Pro
+Improved Combat
+Interesting new enemy types
+Few interesting characters

Cons
-Loses the Aww factor...COMPLETLY
-Really had none of the creepy scripted events
-Graphics...suprisingly are better in Bioshock 1
-Most of the audio diarie characters, as well as the characters you meet are really lack luster
-Levels are horrible...except for a few. Don't expect anything in the quality of Arcadia, or Fort Frolic
-Underwater sections are really pointless in my mind

FAIL.

Three out of ten... right.

JordoftheDead said:
*head explodes*

Three out of ten... right.

Have you even played the game!? Really I wanted this to be good, but it never happened. They NEVER explain about the multiple Big Sisters, the game starts out very slow, the characters are lack luster, the level aren't as good as Bioshock 1.

luka

Loves Robotech S1
Killer Frank said:

I'm not going to chide you for your opinion, and most of what you said it true, but even then giving it a 3/10 and saying it's a bad game is going too far. A lot of the suspense and pacing of the original is gone, but the gameplay itself is much, much better. And ultimately, that's what kept me up to 4 AM this morning just to see what was around the next corner. It's not as original or creative anymore but it's still just as fun (if not more).

luka said:
I'm not going to chide you for your opinion, and most of what you said it true, but even then giving it a 3/10 and saying it's a bad game is going too far. A lot of the suspense and pacing of the original is gone, but the gameplay itself is much, much better. And ultimately, that's what kept me up to 4 AM this morning just to see what was around the next corner. It's not as original or creative anymore but it's still just as fun (if not more).

But for me what made me love Bioshock was the story. I mean I litterally almost cried when the sub blew up with Atlas family in it, my mouth just hanged open...I couldn't believe what Ryan did. Then when the whole Plot Twist occured I was in shock.

That's what made Bioshock for me. An if were talking from just a story aspect, then Bioshock 2 fails..

Killer Frank said:
But for me what made me love Bioshock was the story. I mean I litterally almost cried when the sub blew up with Atlas family in it, my mouth just hanged open...I couldn't believe what Ryan did. Then when the whole Plot Twist occured I was in shock.

That's what made Bioshock for me. An if were talking from just a story aspect, then Bioshock 2 fails..
Are you purposefully forgetting the last third of BioShock?

Dax01 said:
Are you purposefully forgetting the last third of BioShock?

You mean the atrocious last level, and the horrible ending? No. But to me even those parts are better than what is currently in Bioshock 2.

I mean I just wasn't left in awww anymore....and really Rapture felt...bland.

luka said:

This. I agree that the levels and game in general aren’t quite as standout as the first, but the gunplay and AI has improved and the levels are still more accomplished than 95% of other FPS games. You don't think a three out of ten might be a massive exaggeration?

Killer Frank said:
You mean the atrocious last level, and the horrible ending? No. But to me even those parts are better than what is currently in Bioshock 2.

I mean I just wasn't left in awww anymore....and really Rapture felt...bland.
More like everything following the twist.

luka

Loves Robotech S1
Killer Frank said:

Yeah, I can't comment on the story because I'm only at level 4. But at this point it's kept me sufficiently interested and entertained through the combat and environmental exploration alone. I don't regret the purchase in that respect. My story expectations have been pretty low from the outset.

luka said:
Yeah, I can't comment on the story because I'm only at level 4. But at this point it's kept me sufficiently interested and entertained through the combat and environmental exploration alone. I don't regret the purchase in that respect. My story expectations have been pretty low from the outset.

Just finish the game. If you still like the story, the great.

Also I found this game to be WAYYY shorter than Bioshock 1. Took me about 10 hours to beat the 1st, it only took about 6 hours this time.

Killer Frank said:

Also I found this game to be WAYYY shorter than Bioshock 1. Took me about 10 hours to beat the 1st, it only took about 6 hours this time.
I'm four hours in and I haven't even finished
Ryan Amusements
. Were you just runnin' and gunnin' all the way through?

edgefusion

Killer Frank said:

If the game only took you 6 hours to complete then you must've rushed through the whole thing. There's no way you could play and complete this game in 6 hours and experience everything. I think I suddenly understand your 'review'.

epmode

alr1ghtstart said:
twidescreen_after.jpg

lol, they still seem to be confused. 16:10 is taller than 16:9. Kind of ridiculous for PC players.
The idea is that each ratio will show the same vertical area (75 degrees) while the horizontal space will vary. Pretty much like every well-done widescreen game in existence. This is exactly what the Widescreen Gaming Forum looks for in their certification process. Hor+ only.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Dax01 said:
I'm four hours in and I haven't even finished
Ryan Amusements
. Were you just runnin' and gunnin' all the way through?

Seriously. I'm about 6 hours in (Steam profile says 7.7, but I left it on pause for around 90 minutes to go do shit) and just reached the second Big Daddy, in the area following
Ryan Amusements

Ridley327

richisawesome said:
Am I right in thinking that 360 pad input isn't supported by the PC version? I'm sure I've heard that somewhere.

It isn't, which is a strange omission since nearly every GFW/L title supports it.

Multiplayer is very fun, but too bad it's lacking in customization. For single player I just got done with
Ryan Amusements
, and so far it's what I was hoping the game would be. Still has those spots that make you jump out of your skin, I'm looking at you
Bathroom lady.

JaseC

stupei

Zophar said:
ITT people are shocked when someone uses the full scale in a review.

You... do know that even on a full scale, a 3/10 means well below average, right? For vastly improved combat. In a shooter.

Using the "full scale" for Bioshock 2, it still shouldn't receive lower than a 5. That would place it at average. I can easily see someone saying this is an average game. But less than the average shooter? Really? Seems to me like it's someone being reactionary and allowing what they wanted from the game to skew their opinion of what is actually there.

JaseC

sweetvar26 said:
My 360 has been freezing a lot since yesterday which is when I started playing this game, was just fine before, clocked in tons of hours with Mass Effect 2 and before that.

I have BioShock 2 installed as well, no clue why it keeps freezing. Anyone else having similar issues?

Uh-oh...

-PXG- said:
Okay....so after the first cutscene, the game keeps on crashing....WTF :/ Got the 360 version.

And moments later:

-PXG- said:
GOD FUCKING DAMIT!!!!! FUCK YOU MS!!! Son of a bitch red ringed! Piece of shit.

Lkr

I wasn't expecting much from multiplayer, but damn is it fun. Only problem is there is absolutely no AA so it looks like shit

Top Bottom